2023-24 Canadian Men: News and Updates

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The rules for singles in the ISU Constitution are in Rule 109:

2. Citizenship/Residence/Transfer Permit​

a) A Skater may compete only as a member of the ISU Member of a​

country of which he is a citizen or in which he has resided for at least​

one year.​
Since he lives and trains in Toronto at the Cricket Club, that would mean the former.

Plus, he'd have needed a release from Skate Canada to compete at Italian/non-international championships. He last competed a year ago internationally for Canada at Golden Spin, and the Men's FS was held on 10 December 2022. Without a Righini exception from the ISU Council, the earliest he could compete internationally for Italy is 10 December 2023, but that doesn't mean that Skate Canada has released him to skate internationally wrt international competition. (If I missed it, I apologize.)

Skate Canada threw shade at Soucisse/Firus -- he's the one with Irish citizenship -- and was trying to block their release. I'm not sure if Circelli was evaluated under Skate Canada's new or old release policy or what they're doing with him.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Good luck to Corey, how exciting. I am guessing increased funding from Italy with Olympics coming up?
First thing I read that makes me understand this switch. Hadn't even had the Olympics on my radar but that makes sense.
Interesting. It must be a situation where the weather issues only challenged those based in Toronto. PlaFern made it out of Detroit just fine. So did the IAM teams from Montreal. But, then again, GilPoir made it to Beijing just fine and they flew out of Toronto a few days ago...
So many factors to consider when planes are cancelled out of Toronto. Sadly have far too much experience with this :)

skatingguy

decently
Interesting. It must be a situation where the weather issues only challenged those based in Toronto. PlaFern made it out of Detroit just fine. So did the IAM teams from Montreal. But, then again, GilPoir made it to Beijing just fine and they flew out of Toronto a few days ago...
Toronto's weather has been fine - not sure where he got tripped up.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
corey's mom is italian - competed in barcelona '92 in swimming for italy - so he can get it if he doesn't have it already
Yeah my daughter’s former team mate competed in the last two Olympics for Italy, she found their support to be excellent. Another friend coaches there and money gets upped for the Olympic cycle. Especially being at home.

Sonata

What happened with his skates sounds horrendous. I had no idea he traveled back to Munich just to get his and Tracy’s bag. Two torn luggage tags. Nice to hear that other skaters offered their skates. Loved how this video turned into a PSA with practical tips on travel.

And he didn’t even mention the weather woes that prevented him from participating in Golden Spin.

Good luck in 2024, Roman. You deserve it.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
What happened with his skates sounds horrendous. I had no idea he traveled back to Munich just to get his and Tracy’s bag. Two torn luggage tags. Nice to hear that other skaters offered their skates. Loved how this video turned into a PSA with practical tips on travel.

And he didn’t even mention the weather woes that prevented him from participating in Golden Spin.

Good luck in 2024, Roman. You deserve it.
Bev Smith has written about his woes: https://bevsmithwrites.com/roman-sadovsky-you-cant-make-this-stuff-up/

grimey

Skating + photography = my heaven :)
Being an Uber of Canadian Men's skating since the 80's, it's really hard to watch. It is sad state of affairs now. Long gone are the days of our greats, and no one seems to have the mental toughness for competition like the Men of yesteryear. Not sure how or if we can ever get back there.

coppertop1

Being an Uber of Canadian Men's skating since the 80's, it's really hard to watch. It is sad state of affairs now. Long gone are the days of our greats, and no one seems to have the mental toughness for competition like the Men of yesteryear. Not sure how or if we can ever get back there.
How about next writing everyone off. You never know who's coming up

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Anyone have theories on what happened to the Canadian men’s field?
Injuries and growth spurts
Sadovsky, Orzel, Gogolev, and Chiu are wildly inconsistent as it is whether they are healthy or dealing with some kind of setback-- so if those four are leading the way, then obviously the rest of the field might look depleted. It didn't matter one bit last year when Stephen came in healthy and then bombed his short program to the nearly last place. Rakic, who sits in 2nd right now, is also very much inconsistent with an unorthodox jump technique that gets him into trouble.

There seems to be a lot of hypothetical 'what if..' stories with Canadian skaters and semi-excuses for their performances (Chouinard in the Olympics, Sadovsky in his team Olympics that supposedly through off the whole event for him, Sandhu, etc) and it's likely to continue with this curreny crop skating how they do from one event to the next.

2018 seemed to be the start of the last hurrah at least in this generation for Canadian singles' skaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information