2023-24 Canadian Men: News and Updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I didn't see a thread for the new season yet. The grand prix assignments are out and it's pretty dismal for the Canadian men with only four spots total and no one with two spots. Gogolev will be at Skate America and Chiu, Orzel and Sadovsky will be at Skate Canada. This is probably the lowest participation of Canadian men on the series since....ever? The four of them are pretty high on the alternates list so let's see if any pick up an extra spot. The senior men's field is wide open now. Will anyone step up? Stay tuned...

Sylvia

TBD
Bringing over this info from the NextGen Team thread (I've added 2023 Senior/Junior/Novice Nationals placements below):
The entries for the 2023 NextGen Simulation Competition [July 22-23] have been posted by Skate Ontario:

Junior Men - https://www.skateontario.org/results/NG24JULY/24NG-JrMen-EL.pdf
David Bondar, York Region Skating Centre ON [J13]
William Chan, Connaught SC BC | YT [N4]
Vladimir Furman, CPA Saint-Hubert Inc. QC [N2]
Alec Guinzbourg, Granite Club ON [S13]
David Howes, Skate Winnipeg MB [N1]
Terry Jin, Toronto CS & CC ON [J7]
Shohei Law, Champs International Skating Centre of British Columbia BC | YT [J8]
David Li ,Connaught SC BC | YT [J5]
Grayson Long, Toronto CS & CC ON [J2]
Rio Morita, Toronto CS & CC ON [J4]
Anthony Paradis, Patinage des Mille-Îles QC [J3]
David Shteyngart, Gloucester Skating Club ON [J6]

Not listed: Junior champ Edward Nicholas VASII

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over here from the Canadian Women news thread:
Skate Canada has published the selection criteria for senior internationals in the upcoming season.

Preference for assignments will be given to skaters/teams who have been assigned to an ISU Grand Prix event for the 2023-2024 season [Gogolev, Chiu, Orzel, Sadovsky].

Skaters/teams will be considered for assignments if they have consistently attained the following minimum target scores:
o Internationally in the 2022-2023 season 199
o Domestically at the 2023 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships (CTNSC) 213

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Good news for Canadian men - 2nd pickup of a 2nd spot on the JGP (first was for JGP #1 in Bangkok)!

And the announcement for JGP #3 - Istanbul, Turkey is also up! JGPTUR2023_Announcement_Final.pdf

Another ice dance pick up for both USA and France! Canada picked up a 2nd spot in Men.

Japan & Switzerland are using 2 spots in Men while Italy gave up their 2nd spot; China, Japan & Korea are using their 2 spots in Women; Canada & Czechia kept their 2nd spots in Ice Dance while Korea gave up theirs and Great Britain (again) passed on a 2nd spot.

shutterbug

Video of a NextGen team member Anthony Paradis' new FP from On Ice Perspectives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb0bIYjLGLA&t=1s

Clip of Roman Sadovsky's new SP via Ice Academy's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CvQHEeYulrw/?hl=en

Upcoming summer competitions for the senior National Team men include Conrad Orzel at Wild Rose Invitational Aug. 4- 7, and Roman and Wesley Chiu at Cranberry Cup International Aug. 9 -13. Wesley is also to scheduled to compete at BC/YK Section Super Series SummerSkate Aug. 17 - 20, but that may be questionable given the short turnaround time from Cranbery Cup.

NextGen team members Grayson Long and Rio Morita are listed to compete at the first JGP in Bangkok Aug. 23 -26.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top summer scores so far

MEN
Aleksa Rakic 237 BC AUGUST
Wesley Chiu 230 CRANBERRY CUP
Conrad Orzel 211 WILD ROSE
Alec Guinzbourg 200 ONTARIO AUGUST
Gabriel Blumenthal 199 BC AUGUST
Bruce Waddell 184 JULY ONTARIO
Jack Dushenski 176 JULY ONT
Marek Ramilison 174 QUEBEC

JUNIOR MEN
Rio Morita 196 NEXTGEN
David Li 185 CRANBERRY CUP
David Howes 185 NEXTGEN
Shohei Law 180 BC AUGUST
David Shteyngart 177 QUEBEC
Grayson Long 176 NEXTGEN
Terry Jin 176 NEXTGEN
Anthony Paradis 173 QUEBEC
Jake Ellis 170 AUGUST ONTARIO
David Bondar 162 NEXTGEN
Alec Guinzbourg 161 NEXTGEN

Sylvia

TBD
Gogolev has been added to the ACI roster [joining Wesley Chiu].
Other CS assignments to date:
Nebelhorn Trophy: Aleksa Rakic
Nepela Memorial: Conrad Orzel
Finlandia Trophy (not yet listed on Skate Canada's website): Roman Sadovsky, Gabriel Blumenthal (his CS debut :))

Roman's latest vlog (Sept. 10) shows him in a walking boot on his foot (he explains why he had to WD from Cranberry Cup last month and how his injury happened): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_xMoHOF9M

JGP assignments:
Bangkok: Grayson Long 9th (172.94), Rio Morita 11th (171.89)
Linz: David Li 8th (177.03)
Istanbul: David Bondar 12th (163.23), Terry Yu Tao Jin 15th (163.23)
Osaka: Anthony Paradis, David Shteyngart
Budapest: David Howes
Gdansk: Alec Guinzbourg
Yerevan: David Li (2nd assignment), Shohei Law

Last edited:

shutterbug

JGP assignments:
Bangkok: Grayson Long 9th (172.94), Rio Morita 11th (171.89)
Linz: David Li 8th (177.03)
Istanbul: David Bondar 12th (163.23), Terry Yu Tao Jin 15th (163.23)
Osaka: Anthony Paradis, David Shteyngart
Budapest: David Howes
Gdansk: Alec Guinzbourg
Yerevan: David Li (2nd assignment), Shohei Law
On that note :D, here's an archived (slow loading) version of Laurie Nealin's article in today's Winnipeg Free Press: Winnipeg skater Howes taking talents to Hungary

WINNIPEG figure skater Davey Howes came flying out of the gate in summer training, adding several triple-triple jump combinations to his repertoire to secure his first Junior Grand Prix assignment in Hungary next week.
On the sport’s fast track since winning the Canadian novice title last March, Howes immediately advanced to junior level competition, finishing fifth in his first international meet in Luxembourg last spring.

Howes chose to train in Richmond because of the number of male skaters there, including a few senior level men who compete internationally. He was excited to have his triple-triple jump combos start to click after making the move.

“We knew that was something he had to tackle and he’s made rapid progress,” Murphy said.

“We’ve always known he’s a beautiful skater, but now the quality of his technical elements is also improving, so he’s earning additional points on the quality of his jumps, spins and step sequences.

Sylvia

TBD
Corey Circellii landing a 4T in practice at the Cricket club: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxJSjkYxmA6/
a personal win for me.
After fracturing my left leg in three places towards the end of last season and having to take five months off the ice, and eight months off of quadruple toeloops I really didn’t know if I would ever be able to do this again. I’m so internally grateful and I will cherish this personal victory forever…

screech

Stephen Gogolev skated a clean SP today at the Autumn Classic (complete with 2 quads), and sits in second place with a personal best score of 86.25. While the performance side of things still needs work, IMO he also really needs to work on his speed. But it's nice to see him skating a good SP!
Wesley Chiu is in 3rd place with 80.93. I couldn't find his skate on YouTube, though.

Karen-W

Stephen Gogolev skated a clean SP today at the Autumn Classic (complete with 2 quads), and sits in second place with a personal best score of 86.25. While the performance side of things still needs work, IMO he also really needs to work on his speed. But it's nice to see him skating a good SP!
Wesley Chiu is in 3rd place with 80.93. I couldn't find his skate on YouTube, though.
Well, the Men's SP replay is already available on Skate Canada's DailyMotion channel...

Pink Cats

I thought both programs were great but you could tell that they were thinking their way through the choreography rather than it being muscle memory. Daily motion froze when Gogolev did his flying spin and for a second it looked like he was going to do a face-plant.

Karen-W

Sadly, multiple weather issues caused travel delays and he had to withdraw from Golden Spin :(
Interesting. It must be a situation where the weather issues only challenged those based in Toronto. PlaFern made it out of Detroit just fine. So did the IAM teams from Montreal. But, then again, GilPoir made it to Beijing just fine and they flew out of Toronto a few days ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information