2019-20 Canadian Men news & updates

Colonel Green

So Keegan and Conrad are going to the Autumn Classic, while Iliya Kovler is our lead junior guy at JGP Russia, his second assignment.

With Joseph previously announced as competing in JGP Poland, Stephen's final event will either be Croatia or Italy.

Sylvia

Anticipating the JGP!
With Joseph previously announced as competing in JGP Poland, Stephen's final event will either be Croatia or Italy.
Skate Canada's website now lists Corey Circelli as the 2nd man for JGP Poland (he and McIsaac are assigned to the first & last JGPs in dance) and Eric Liu is listed for his 2nd at JGP #7 in Italy.

Canada was the 4th highest placing country at 2019 Junior Worlds and have picked up an extra men's spot for each of the first five JGPS due to Italy not using theirs (still TBD about the final 2 JGPs).

Challenger men's assignments listed on Skate Canada's website:
Nicolas Nadeau (U.S. Classic)
Nam Nguyen (Nebelhorn)
TBD: Finlandia Trophy and Warsaw Cup.

Messing and Nguyen are scheduled to make their season debuts tomorrow evening as both are listed in the SP starting order for the North York Summer Skate tomorrow, along with Roman Sadovsky, Conrad Orzel and Bennet Toman.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

A Rafael Arutyunyan interview where he talks about Gogolev (starts around the 51 minute mark):

• very impressed with him overall.
  • notes that the biggest unknown is managing growth/injuries over the next few years.
  • conditioning is the main thing he wants to work on, but notes that Stephen only came in June, so he hasn't had much time to work on that. Would have preferred if he had come in April, but his parents wanted him to finish out the school year.
  • plans to attend at least some of the JGP with him in order to see how he handles it.

Colonel Green

Keegan's "November Rain" program. I imagine he's a bit behind in his training, what with the wedding and all, but this was quite a good effort (and certainly much better than his summer comp free skate from last year). The triple Axels are looking great.

Conrad doesn't quite get the quad Lutz landed cleanly, but he's going for it this year.

Nam's program was very nice, though it looked like he hadn't had much time skating it yet, because he was clearly exhausted by the end.

haribobo

Summer comp scores

SENIOR MEN
Keegan Messing 253
Joseph Phan 217 (jr event)
Nam Nguyen 209
Conrad Orzel 203
Iliya Kovler 196 (jr event)
Roman Sadovsky 196
Eric Liu 195 (jr event)
Bennet Toman 188
Stephen Gogolev 186 (jr event)
Alistair Lam 180
Beresford Clements 179
Jack Dushenski 178
Dawson Nodwell 173
Matthew Markell 169

TBD: Nadeau

JUNIOR MEN
Corey Circelli 183
Alec Guinzbourg 172
Wesley Chiu 169
William St-Louis 169
Gabriel Blumenthal 167
Matthew Newnham 167
Aleksa Rakic 162

Last edited:

Catherine M

Thanks for uploading all the videos, Colonel Green! Very much appreciated.

Love both of Keegan's programs for this year. And very nice to see his triple axel looking good. Getting almost 170 points in a summer comp LP is a nice way to start the season.

Too bad Nam couldn't follow up his great SP with a better LP but hopefully Neblehorn goes better.

And it is nice to see Nam & Keegan's friendship on Nam's instagram this weekend as even though they are competing for that lone spot to Montreal worlds, they seem very supportive of each other.

Rock2

I'm not sure what to think with Canadian men this year. So far.

Keegs and Nam are both serviceable but both will face separate challenges to try to make top 10 in Montreal. They will both be borderline in their potential to hit that threshold but for now I see them on the outside looking in.

I feel for Orzel. I mean the planned content in his long is truly admirable, and his first shot at it went quite well I think. Kudos to him for trying to push himself to hit the podium this year. Sadly he can't generate GoE and even domestic judges aren't loving his components at all (like, at. all.), so the scoring potential just isn't there yet, try as he might....

Sigh.

Colonel Green

Keegs and Nam are both serviceable but both will face separate challenges to try to make top 10 in Montreal. They will both be borderline in their potential to hit that threshold but for now I see them on the outside looking in.
Both of them were only about 11 points out of the top ten in Saitama, and that was with them making several errors each across both programs. Keegan, especially, if he skates well, will place in the top ten.

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
Keegan's "November Rain" program. I imagine he's a bit behind in his training, what with the wedding and all, but this was quite a good effort (and certainly much better than his summer comp free skate from last year). The triple Axels are looking great.

Conrad doesn't quite get the quad Lutz landed cleanly, but he's going for it this year.

Nam's program was very nice, though it looked like he hadn't had much time skating it yet, because he was clearly exhausted by the end.
Keegan: WOW! That’s simply magnificent skating. Points schmoints. Wasn’t this what was intended for “free skating”... musicality, deep knee bends, leans, edging, in time to music? I love it. BONUS: It’s no longer Chaplin!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)