Skate Canada names teams for 4CC and Junior Worlds

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I just get the sense that the YOG is a low end competition for FS and that sending KR is a waste. SHe should be going to 4CC and Sr. Worlds.
Copy pasting my comment from above: She had a senior international last season, plus 3 this season, plus the domestic Challenge competition, plus Nationals. Six chances in less than a year and she didn't get the SP min for worlds at any one of them. Not one. She may have won nationals, but even there she didn't get worlds SP min. How many chances is she to get? Why would anyone at this point think that she'd get them at 4CC with the kind of pressure that would have. She may have won nationals but she's just not ready for worlds yet.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Domestic competitions are irrelevant to the discussion about Kaiya's opportunities to earn Worlds TES mins.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Domestic competitions are irrelevant to the discussion about Kaiya's opportunities to earn Worlds TES mins.
Lol Karen why? You're the one always saying Canadian nationals marks are inflated. You can't have it both ways.

ETA Plus if she can't do it at home, why should we be confident she could do it an international? More pressure? Less pressure? idk, but so far, no matter where, she just can't do it.

Karen-W

Lol Karen why? You're the one always saying Canadian nationals marks are inflated. You can't have it both ways.

ETA Plus if she can't do it at home, why should we be confident she could do it an international? More pressure? Less pressure? idk, but so far, no matter where, she just can't do it.
That might be true but as the new national champ she should be given at least one more chance to do so before the deadline.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Slipchuk has been the High Performance Director for a while, so my question is: What went wrong? Did he just get too comfortable at isn't as effective? Or is Skate Canada itself in need of an overhaul?
In 2019 Skate Canada announced that Dr. Shae Zukiwsky joined the organization in the role of Senior Director, Performance Excellence. … Slipchek reports to him.

Karen-W

Well, except she apparently chose YOG, so there is that.
Oh, I think she and her team are incredibly dumb to have picked WYOG over 4CCs. However there are more comps in February to earn the TES mins. And naming her to the Jr Worlds team is even more insane than choosing WYOG over 4CCs.

jlai

Question everything
Oh, I think she and her team are incredibly dumb to have picked WYOG over 4CCs. However there are more comps in February to earn the TES mins. And naming her to the Jr Worlds team is even more insane than choosing WYOG over 4CCs.
wouldn’t it be better to wait until yog and 4cc are over? For all we know the results may be speaking for themselves by the end of next week.
This is not a situation where we have a potential world medalist losing a chance at Montreal no matter who they send.

If Ruiter chose yog then she sets herself up as a choice for junior world as well esp with no minimum.

I don’t have strong feelings one way or the other but junior world doesn’t seem insane to me. It’s not like the fed has tons of talent waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
It's nice that everyone has so many opinions and insights into the choices of others. I presume you would welcome similar feedback on your choices :)

A reminder that you have no idea who might be reading things that are posted in this public forum.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Maybe she’s just DONE with Senior for this season. She‘s been successful enough that she can and should make her own choices. She’s not a property for the Canadian Fed to buy and sell. If she shares her motives and plans, great, but she’s under no obligation to do so.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I see this is still ongoing :lol:

Going to the Winter YOG is a once in a lifetime possibility for obvious mathematical reasons.

If you can't understand why a skater who qualifies for that doesn't have that at the top of their wish list and are incredibly excited to attend a multi-sport international competition with opening and closing ceremonies and everything in between then you just don't know enough to have an opinion on whether Kaiya should be going there or to 4CC.

Hands down I would allow her to pick YOG over 4CC if I were amongst the powers that be make these decisions .

And if I was her parent I would be thrilled AF for her to have this opportunity and fully support her desire to do this.

Maybe don't shit on what is actually a really good decision for both sides imo. So go and have the time of your life Kaiya, you earned it, you deserve it. :cheer: The rest is just noise and nothing for you to concern yourself with.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Kaiya looks like she is having a great time at YOG, unlike the snide remakes by ykw there are great supportive crowds and she had a great short and is the top skater amongst the North Americans and Europeans. A bonus that her coach is also the team coach/leader. Hope the long program goes well, this will likely be the same group for top flight at Junior Worlds as well. My daughter has attended multi sport events and athletes love the opportunity of cheering on their team mates in other sports and going to the opening or closing games.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I can't find a thread for Canadian Worlds entries, so I'll just put this here: Canada will announce its team on Wednesday.
It was named. No surprises. Hopefully Lajoie and Lagha will be healed and ready to go.

Karen-W

Okay yay, Lajoie and Lagha are still on track.
Easier to name them to the team and WD for another team if they aren't healed by then than to not name them at all. I don't think we can assume anything about their status - up until yesterday they were still entered for Challenge Cup. ;)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Roman? Interesting I’m trying to remember how Canadian nationals ended up, I remember in the short program it wasn’t great, but it wasn’t great for Many, where did he end up in Canadian nationals?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
And to think the Canadian ice dance silver medalists are going to be left off the worlds team

I know what you’re all gonna say about this, so don’t even bother

🏅💅🏼⛸️🙌🏼

coppertop1

Roman? Interesting I’m trying to remember how Canadian nationals ended up, I remember in the short program it wasn’t great, but it wasn’t great for Many, where did he end up in Canadian nationals?
Roman was sixth but had the highest finish at 4CC next to Wesley. I don't think there's a really strong second choice. We will probably be down to one man for next year's Worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information