2016 Academy Awards (Oscars) - Ceremony & Red Carpet

skatesindreams

I thought that both Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander looked lovely; representing "young Hollywood", wearing gowns which weren't as "stiff" as what we usually see.
If one wants to wear a "see through" gown, Jennifer Lawrence did it well.

Number 1 "Red Carpet" look - Cate Blanchett
If Charlize Theron's dress had better "support" I might have selected her.

Cachoo

The presentation made me think whether Blacks were the only people of color that existed, or the only ones that mattered. I did think Chris Rock did a great job otherwise.

Funny you mention that as when Whoopie was on the red carpet she pointed out that she thought Asians were more slighted by Hollywood than black folks. I honestly had not thought about that.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
And this from the LA Times
What is it that the studios are responsible for, and to the standards of whose morality are they being held? And then there is a third, overriding question: Are the studios properly in the morality business at all? I don't think so.

Like the manufacturers of any product, studios must determine what their target consumers want — what features are likely to get people to part with their money. And if they believe that moviegoers will be either turned off or unexcited by minority themed and populated films, it would be irrational to offer that product, just as it would be irrational for automobile makers to offer small, gas-efficient cars when the market demand is for SUVs.

The article is quite interesting.

peibeck

Simply looking
If I white host commented on two black people looking alike, I wonder what the reaction would be. Didn't care for Rock's joke about thinking Sam Smith was George Michael. :blah:

I didn't even take the joke to be about race at all but about both singers love of singing in falsetto. :shuffle:

Although the Academy didn't honor any black people last night, the winners were certainly diverse in country of origin and there were Hispanic winners and an Asian (Pakistani) female winner.

rjblue

Having a great day!
But there wasn't really enough spreading around in some categories since Mad Max Fury Road hogged/ hauled six awards, some of which arguably could have gone to other films. ;)
If I were listing my top movies ever for sound editing and mixing, then Mad Max Fury Road would easily be number one for me. The landscape of sound was amazing. It was what I raved about after seeing it.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
And this from the LA Times

The article is quite interesting.
I don't agree with the fact that audiences don't want to see movies about minority themed. For years, those producers used the same excuse to explain the fact that movies with female leads couldn't make a profit, but the past couple of years have proved them wrong with the like of Sandra bullock in gravity, charlize theron in Mad Max, melissa mc carthy in spy, bridesmaid and so many more. Turns out audiences didn't mind movies with a female lead after all. So if they were to diversify the cast, because it's not only a question of minorities stories but also a more diverse casting in general, I'm not sure it would prevent people from enjoying their movie experience.

cocotaffy

ADMIN: PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES DIRECTLY TO THE FORUM.

Let's celebrate Leo's win with a happy walking Leo :cheer2:

and say good bye to the era of 'sad looking Leo at the Oscars' meme

leo happily strolling

Last edited:

Seerek

The mainstream audience is wayyyyyy further ahead of arthouse crowds when it comes to accepting/demanding diversity in their films.

The unfortunate reality is that there are already existing many scripted independent/arthouse films out there featuring diverse casting, but these films are unsuccessful in getting picked up during film festival season for broader distribution (i.e. if you don't catch the film at the festival, you'll never get a chance to see it). Distributors must feel that they've "fulfilled" any sort of diversity mandate with documentaries and foreign film, that they should(?) be more risk-averse when it comes to English-language scripted film.

Last edited:

PeterG

I didn't even take the joke to be about race at all but about both singers love of singing in falsetto. :shuffle:

It wasn't about race...Sam Smith and George Michael are both gay. Interesting that "you gay guys look all alike" got a pass, but I heard on the radio this morning that the Total Beauty fashion blog tweeted a photo of Whoopi Goldberg that said, "We have no idea that Oprah was tatted, and we love it". And that there was a big backlash against this (they of course took down the tweet quickly). I don't know, maybe Rock meant his joke to be poking fun of people who think all black people look alike.

ballettmaus

I don't agree with the fact that audiences don't want to see movies about minority themed. For years, those producers used the same excuse to explain the fact that movies with female leads couldn't make a profit, but the past couple of years have proved them wrong with the like of Sandra bullock in gravity, charlize theron in Mad Max, melissa mc carthy in spy, bridesmaid and so many more. Turns out audiences didn't mind movies with a female lead after all. So if they were to diversify the cast, because it's not only a question of minorities stories but also a more diverse casting in general, I'm not sure it would prevent people from enjoying their movie experience.

Isn't casting someone in the lead different than minority-themed? While there are fewer women in space and that profession than men, Gravity was not about gender equality in the profession, so I wouldn't count it as a minority themed movie because the theme of the movie was something else entirely. But maybe I just got the term wrong and means something other than I assume it does.

That said, I'm not sure if "minority-themed" is the actual problem. I think the problem is that if they had had a black or Asian actress who was just as suited for the role in Gravity they still would have gone with Bullock because she is white. However, I think people would have watched the movie with the same enthusiasm had the actress been black or Asian. Yes, there are movies out there in which you have to cast a certain type of actor (you could hardly have cast white actors in 12 Years a Slave) but that's probably 1% or less. But that aside, it is about quality, not skin color. At least, it's for me.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I get your point, but even I thought they looked similarly even before Chris Rock made that joke. I think part of it is the facial hair and the way Smith physically looks.

Regarding whether something is "minority-themed" I think a lot of the argument is for casting for roles that aren't necessarily "minority-themed". Even just by representation, a character can just take on a different (not deeper or more complicated) dimension for audiences by just seeing someone of color in roles where ethnicity or other categories aren't important to casting. To me, it's a big deal.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

All the politics and race issues made the show ridiculous. Acting standards are relatively the same in all countries, depending on "theatrical method/school". If African-American actors were not nominated, maybe there were not quality performances this year. There were in previous years. There are no criteria to expand on. What do they want? Affirmative Action for cinematographic tastes based on population? for every 15 nominations there must be 2 African-Americans? This is not equality. Equality means laws prohibiting discrimination and equal access. Nobody is preventing African-Americans in a film-industry from making films, selecting actors, or to even host their own awards, if they are unhappy with Oscars. And what about Asians, Native Indians, Middle-easterners, West Indians?......

VGThuy

For those of you who may have missed it, I feel like we are just going in circles. All of these points and counter-points and counter to those counters, were discussed at length in the previous threads. It wouldn't be so tedious if it wasn't the same posters who are raising the same arguments they did previously, but waited weeks to bring them up again.

cocotaffy

Isn't casting someone in the lead different than minority-themed? While there are fewer women in space and that profession than men, Gravity was not about gender equality in the profession, so I wouldn't count it as a minority themed movie because the theme of the movie was something else entirely. But maybe I just got the term wrong and means something other than I assume it does.

That said, I'm not sure if "minority-themed" is the actual problem. I think the problem is that if they had had a black or Asian actress who was just as suited for the role in Gravity they still would have gone with Bullock because she is white. However, I think people would have watched the movie with the same enthusiasm had the actress been black or Asian. Yes, there are movies out there in which you have to cast a certain type of actor (you could hardly have cast white actors in 12 Years a Slave) but that's probably 1% or less. But that aside, it is about quality, not skin color. At least, it's for me.
Minority-themed movie and casting diversity are not the same. The LA time article posted above by Axelannie was mentioning minority-themed movie not being appealing to mainstream audience, hence my reference to minority-themed films. But, I actually think, as @VIETgrlTerifa explained, it should be about a more fair representation of poc in any kind of movie. The parallel I drew with women was about excuses producers use to justify not diversifying the casting. Women in lead role = low revenues, poc in lead role or minority-themed movies = low revenues, so we don't invest but it proved to be wrong. Audiences are ready at least for better representation of poc in movies if not even for minority-themed movies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
That said, I'm not sure if "minority-themed" is the actual problem. I think the problem is that if they had had a black or Asian actress who was just as suited for the role in Gravity they still would have gone with Bullock because she is white. However, I think people would have watched the movie with the same enthusiasm had the actress been black or Asian.
They cast Sandra Bullock because she is a HUGE box-office draw.

Japanfan

The biggest movie in NA history stars a woman and a black man. The mainstream audience is wayyyyyy further ahead of arthouse crowds when it comes to accepting/demanding diversity in their films.

What is that movie?

PeterG

All the politics and race issues made the show ridiculous. Acting standards are relatively the same in all countries, depending on "theatrical method/school". If African-American actors were not nominated, maybe there were not quality performances this year.

Q-Tip? :)

What do they want?

Equal opportunity based on talent.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

screech

My best dressed is by far Saoirse Ronan. Loved her entire look, of all the dresses it's the one that I would actually wear (if I had a reason to). I also absolutely loved Naomi Watts. Her necklace was fabulous and I loved the colours in her dress. Loved the colour of Brie's, but didn't like the ruffly skirt and the waistband looked like a last minute addition. Alicia's grew on me, but I didn't like her hair with it. Tina Fey looked spectacular as well.

For the men, kind of loved all the velvet jackets.

Tinami Amori

No, thank you. Send me ear-plugs instead for the next year's Oscar. I predict it will be quite an Apology Fest not based on merit.

Equal opportunity based on talent.
How does one supposed to asses what is equal opportunity for a "talent" in an industry that has to do with creativity and imagination and is very subjective?

Do you want to force producers to start imagining scripts which can accommodate Black Actors? As in "heck, i had a vision for years to make a film about War of the Roses, but it has no role for Blacks, so what do i do, pick another subject for the film which i don't really care for, or should i time travel Othello into House of York, or never mind the Houses, lets make it Moors of Maghreb vs. Iberia and call it War of the Jasmines?..... because if i don't, they will call me racist and Al Sharpton will star a riot?"

What if white and asian and latino top film-makers in the upcoming year have picked out subjects for their next films which are not related to Black Communities or history and have no roles for Black Actors? Should they be forced to make them? compelled and rail-road to think about "race" vs. "story"? Should they do a lottery which one must be the one to make a "Black movie" this year? Should there be quotas in creativity? Black Film Makers are not prohibited from or hindered in writing scripts and making films about subjects of their choosing and hiring Black Actors.

What exactly do you propose?

cocotaffy

And you need to look at the industry as whole and not movie to movie. Of course, not every single movie will have the exact amount of poc reflecting society's diversity or they may not even have any. But as an industry looking at the end of a year, the question we should ask is : was there enough varied roles ? Also, Hollywood could expand their imagination a little. I love myself a good costume drama but there are many stories outside the History category which can be told. Finally, poc are people, you do not have to tailor a story around them.

Last edited:

Katha

Some thoughts:

I am happy for Leo (and his acceptance speech was fantastic), but I really felt that this year Michael Fassbender deserved the Best Actor Oscar. He couldn't have portrayed Steve Jobs any better.

So happy to see Ennio Moricone (sp?) win the Oscar! He has brought such great music over the decades (e.g. Lady Caliph, Cinema Paradiso and others). He looked so emotional when he won! It warmed my heart.
I was very happy for Morricone as well! And that it wasn't one of those "honorary awards" made it better. Those always seem like such a cop-out to me: The Academy realizing how badly they screwed up and trying to make it up with a "lifetime achievement award".

I thought Fassbender was stellar this year. But he was going against the "Leo is due" narrative, and his performance was quiet and cold IMO. The Oscars don't go for that kind of thing, usually, they want something more obvious or at least more pleasant. I also thought he was the best in his category for "12 Years A Slave", but again a very uncomfortable character. Same for "Shame" and "Hunger" or "Fish Tank". Fantastic performances, but hard to watch for different reasons. He'll need more obvious awards-bait to get himself into a frontrunner position at these things, not that he seems very interested in that sort of manouver at present.

cocotaffy

I was very happy for Morricone as well! And that it wasn't one of those "honorary awards" made it better. Those always seem like such a cop-out to me: The Academy realizing how badly they screwed up and trying to make it up with a "lifetime achievement award".

I thought Fassbender was stellar this year. But he was going against the "Leo is due" narrative, and his performance was quiet and cold IMO. The Oscars don't go for that kind of thing, usually, they want something more obvious or at least more pleasant. I also thought he was the best in his category for "12 Years A Slave", but again a very uncomfortable character. Same for "Shame" and "Hunger" or "Fish Tank". Fantastic performances, but hard to watch for different reasons. He'll need more obvious awards-bait to get himself into a frontrunner position at these things, not that he seems very interested in that sort of manouver at present.
I really enjoy his acting esp. in shame and fish tank. I hope he won't go the oscar bait road. That's why, I'm happy Leo finally got his oscar so he can do more understated role.

Tinami Amori

But as an industry looking at the end of a year, the question we should ask is : was there enough varied roles ? Also, Hollywood could expand their imagination a little.
You want to legislate "imagination" or guilt-trip people into forcefully expanding this "imagination" for a specific race? (because no-one else is complaining but Blacks. Asians and Middle-Easterners are not complaining.... and none were nominated for a long time....).

They don't need to write scripts just to accommodate POC Actors and Actresses. People just need to hire them. Viola Davis says it perfectly.
She said: “I can play any character in Chekhov and Shakespeare and Miller". No she can not portray "ANY Character" in Chekov.... for obvious reasons, let's loosely call them historic and geographic..... :D

I can only imagine the uproar if "Porgy and Bess" was re-made with white actors, or "Mahogany" with Taylor Swift..... :D ..... what if Taylor Swift dreamed ALL HER LIFE playing that role singing "do you know where you're going to"?

VGThuy

It's not just black actors and creative types who are talking about this as its a systemic issue that many actors and tv/film folk have been itching to bring to light for decades. Many Asian actors who I follow are also with it. The only people who are thinking this is only about a specific race are those not paying attention or those who like pitting minority groups against one another to show that one is better than the other. That doesn't mean people haven't paid the most attention to black actors or that there hasn't been some talk that some (like Chris Rock during the Oscars) are too narrow when talking about diversity, but like other movements I have more personal knowledge in, I'm sure many people who ultimately are on the same side can't have too much anger when a bit more attention is paid to a group that's also virtually ignored, and have had a unique and select oppressive history in this country.

Aziz Ansari's show Master of None talk and even joked about comparing black rep resentation to other POC representation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information