2016 Academy Awards (Oscars) - Ceremony & Red Carpet

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yay Spotlight! Plus the cast won the SAG for best ensemble acting. That's something at least. Wish The Big Short had received more recognition at the Oscars too.

Will be interesting to see if there is any significant 'diversity' change in films/ roles/ nominations, etc. next year.

Cachoo

I don't think it was that big of a surprise. There was a lot of talk of "Spotlight" and "The Big Short." I thought they might have split the vote allowing "The Revenant" in. The nice thing is that all three directors won Oscars tonight. I like it when the love is spread around like that.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
This is the first time since 2013 that the best director's film has not gone onto win best picture. Back in 2013, the best director was Ang Lee for Life of Pi. Best picture was Argo. The irony about that was that Argo's director (Ben Affleck) wasn't even nominated

aftershocks

Banned Member
Again, I think Larson gave an award worthy performance. I was just blown away by what Saoirse Ronan did in Brooklyn with that lyrical and subtle performance.

Saoirse has really been very good in a number of roles. She's got range and high level skills. :)

It's nice for Brie as an up-and-coming less well known American actress to win for her first nomination.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Girl Scout cookies make me sick, can't eat them. I like cookies generally but there is something in the GS kind that I can't handle.

topaz

Girl Scout Cookies steals the night. Morgan Freeman and Michael Keaton took the cookied out of Chris Rock's hands. LOL

topaz

Girl Scout cookies make me sick, can't eat them. I like cookies generally but there is something in the GS kind that I can't handle.

All of them?

I love them. Lemonades, Thanks a Lot, Caramel Delites, Shortbread, Thin Mints.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Revenant seems to be one big "Give my daughter the shot!!!" Shirley MacLaine scene in Terms of Endearment for Leo.

Leo has definitely done better work in any number of films where he was actually recognizable. :p I loved Leo's acceptance speech. He's had a long time to wait and many years in the industry. He was prepared tonight and the Academy didn't disappoint him this time. :)

Cachoo

Saoirse has really been very good in a number of roles. She's got range and high level skills. :)

It's nice for Brie as an up-and-coming less well known American actress to win for her first nomination.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't figure out why she was so familiar and then I saw she was the teenaged daughter in the "United States of Tara." She was good in a cast of good actors.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Me too - Oscars for everyone!!

And now can Thomas Newman PLEASE win a best score award? Pretty please?!

But there wasn't really enough spreading around in some categories since Mad Max Fury Road hogged/ hauled six awards, some of which arguably could have gone to other films. ;)

Cachoo

Didn't Ang Lee also win for "Brokeback Mountain" and then the award went to "Crash?" What are the odds it happens to the same guy twice?

screech

Happy for Leo. Looking forward to him relaxing and making countless horrible romantic comedies now that he's finally got the gold. He looked like he was going to cry when he was getting that big standing ovation, but I've never seen someone rush to the stage faster than him. I do think he should have won for Django Unchained, though. He was brilliant in that, and it's wrong that he wan't even nominated.

Biggest surprise for me was Sylvester Stallone not winning. I think most people predicted him (though I've heard lots of good things about Mark Rylance's performance).

Almost thought Saoirse would pull and upset when Eddie gave the brief overview of the lead actress roles (before the in depth clips) and she got that good bit of cheering.

There were 3 films that based on past statistics were going to win best picture. The Revenant won best director (usually director and picture match). The Big Short won the PRoducer's Guild - from 2007-2015 the winners matched every year. Spotlight won the SAG for best cast (usually these match). Congrats to Spotlight!!

ETA: Love that Eddie Redmayne was the first person to stand up for Leo, leading the standing ovation.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Honestly out of all the films I saw this year, I still think Brooklyn, Mad Max, The Assassin, and Clouds of Sills Maria were my favorites. I still haven't seen Inside Out or When Marnie Was There yet and I have a soft spot for well-made animated films. I also need to see Sicario.

Room gets honorable mention since I really liked that one too.

VGThuy

Girl Scout cookies are things I enjoy the idea of more than the actual product.

VGThuy

If I'm Ang Lee and I'm nominated again I would ask that Jack not be the presenter. That is odd.

I guess that beats him winning the Director's Guild, Golden Globe, and a few critics' awards for Crouching Tiger, Hiddden Dragon but losing the Oscar or him being nominated for DGA and Globes and winning a few critics' awards for Sense and Sensibility and not even getting nominated.

peibeck

Simply looking
The songwriter does win the Oscar. That's why Sam Smith got an Oscar tonight.

Yes, we were talking about what it says on the ballot that goes out to the voters though. It only lists the song title and movie the song was written for. The ballot does not include the name of the song writer(s) or artists.

VGThuy

Yes, we were talking about what it says on the ballot that goes out to the voters though. It only lists the song title and movie the song was written for. The ballot does not include the name of the song writer(s) or artists.

I think other than actors or director, the ballots only list movie titles or the song titles with the movie. Being that way for a long time if I recall correctly.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Don't even mention Brokeback Mountain. I'm still not over it.

Stupid Crash.

Yep, apparently some in the Academy were uncomfortable with the 'diversity' subject matter of the beautiful, evocative, haunting and heartbreaking Brokeback Mountain. I miss Heath Ledger. :(

Ang Lee is an absolute genius. Did anyone see Lust, Caution, one of Lee's best (beautifully acted and directed) recent films? It's based upon a true story and novella written by Eileen Chang.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information