2016 Academy Awards (Oscars) - Ceremony & Red Carpet

VGThuy

Yep, apparently some in the Academy were uncomfortable with the 'diversity' subject matter of the beautiful, evocative and haunting Brokeback Mountain. I miss Heath Ledger. :(

Ang Lee is an absolute genius. Did anyone see Lust, Caution, one of Lee's best (beautifully acted and directed) recent films. It's based upon a true story and novella written by Eileen Chang.

Lust, Caution is one of the best films I've seen, and a totally underrated Lee film. I'm glad that it apparently was much better received in Asia, which is what Lee was hoping for since he made it for Chinese audiences.

Cachoo

But there wasn't really enough spreading around in some categories since Mad Max Fury Road hogged/ hauled six awards, some of which arguably could have gone to other films. ;)

I wonder how the other nominees felt on the night of this Oscar haul:

BEST PICTURE
* The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST DIRECTOR
* Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
* Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ART DIRECTION
* Grant Major (art direction) and Dan Hennah and Alan Lee (set decoration), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
* Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
* Howard Shore, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
* “Into the West,” music and lyric by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore and Annie Lennox, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST EDITING
* Jamie Selkirk, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST MAKEUP
* Richard Taylor and Peter King, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST SOUND MIXING
* Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges, and Hammond Peek, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
* Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook, and Alex Funke, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yeah, I think it gets to be a bit boring and unbelievable that one film gets all those types of awards when there are surely equally worthy candidates.

Last edited:

Spareoom

I always got the impression that LotR winning all those awards was partly based on the films own merit but also recognizing the trilogy as a whole (since the movies are so connected and it was really groundbreaking at the time). So it wasn't as much rewarding RotK (even though it was incredibly worthy) as much as it was recognizing the trilogy as a whole.

Cachoo

So Michael Keaton was in the last two "Best" films. I wonder if he can make it a trifecta. He's on a roll.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I wonder how the other nominees felt on the night of this Oscar haul:

BEST PICTURE
* The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST DIRECTOR
* Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
* Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Peter Jackson, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ART DIRECTION
* Grant Major (art direction) and Dan Hennah and Alan Lee (set decoration), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
* Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
* Howard Shore, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
* “Into the West,” music and lyric by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore and Annie Lennox, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST EDITING
* Jamie Selkirk, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST MAKEUP
* Richard Taylor and Peter King, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST SOUND MIXING
* Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges, and Hammond Peek, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
* Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook, and Alex Funke, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

I remember hating that Oscar telecast; why even bother giving awards if LOTR ROTK was going to win every award? There were deserving candidates in some of the categories. I didn't even think it deserved the BP award.

For sometime tonight I was afraid that Mad Max Fury may do that, except that the writing awards were already awarded.

Toward the end I thought that Revenant was going to win the BP, after it won the director and actor awards. 'Spotlight' was a shocker but I was happy about it. Finally a movie with a message and meaning won the BP.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So Michael Keaton was in the last two "Best" films. I wonder if he can make it a trifecta. He's on a roll.

Some thoughts:

I was thinking - Michael Keaton is like a lucky charm. A smart producer should sign him up for a movie that is made for the Oscars.

My happiest moment tonight was when Mark Ryland won the Best Supporting actor. As soon as I saw 'Bridge of spies', I thought- this is an Oscar worthy Supporting actor performance.

I am happy for Leo (and his acceptance speech was fantastic), but I really felt that this year Michael Fassbender deserved the Best Actor Oscar. He couldn't have portrayed Steve Jobs any better.

Lady Gaga was phenomenal singing tonight, but the song award went to someone else.

So happy to see Ennio Moricone (sp?) win the Oscar! He has brought such great music over the decades (e.g. Lady Caliph, Cinema Paradiso and others). He looked so emotional when he won! It warmed my heart.

Loved the interaction between Brie and Jacob.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Well, yes that's great if he finally wins for Best Actor too!

I know Eddie Redmayne was good in The Theory of Everything, but I would have preferred seeing Michael Keaton win for Birdman last year. I also liked Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game better than Redmayne. Coincidentally Benedict also played Stephen Hawking in a British television movie, mainly portraying Hawking's early life. Redmayne and Benedict were on one of the Hollywood Reporter group actor interview shows (posted on Youtube) last year and surprisingly it was never brought up that they both had portrayed Stephen Hawking.

If I white host commented on two black people looking alike, I wonder what the reaction would be. Didn't care for Rock's joke about thinking Sam Smith was George Michael. :blah:

I wouldn't put it past Ricky Gervais, and he likely wouldn't rule it out either with his brand of humor. :lol: Anyway, to answer your question, it probably depends on the context. If it was a funny joke and the context matched the joke, then I'm sure most people would laugh. You can't help laughing if your funny bone is hit, even when the joke might be scandalous/ considered in poor taste. There's always that fine line with comedy/ sarcasm.

Speaking of which, you should know PeterG, especially since you are one of the coolest tongue-in-cheek posters on FSU. :p

Besides, Sam Smith does look somewhat like a young George Michael. :lol: People do look like each other sometimes, ya know.

If Joseph Fiennes can portray Michael Jackson in an upcoming road film (with Stockard Channing as Elizabeth Taylor, and Brian Cox as Marlon Brando), I mean anything's possible. :rofl: I can't wait to see this. Clearly the hair and makeup will have to do a big part of the job to assist the fine Joseph Fiennes. And, he's absolutely got to work on getting the whispery voice right and those smooth moves/ innate physicality down/ up to MJ believability.

Last edited:

Cachoo

aftershocks: I know Eddie Redmayne was good in The Theory of Everything, but I would have preferred seeing Michael Keaton win for Birdman last year. I also liked Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation Game better than Redmayne. Coincidentally Benedict also played Stephen Hawking in a British television movie, mainly portraying Hawking's early life. Redmayne and Benedict were on one of the Hollywood Reporter group actor interview shows (posted on Youtube) last year and surprisingly it was never brought up that they both had portrayed Stephen Hawking.

I loved Cumberbatch in that: I don't think it is easy showing enlightenment and when he is at the train station and his theory comes together it is a great moment. We are blessed to have both Redmayne and Cumberbatch. I loved Keaton's return to A list films. I would not have been unhappy seeing him win though I was happy for Redmayne.

Japanfan

I always got the impression that LotR winning all those awards was partly based on the films own merit but also recognizing the trilogy as a whole (since the movies are so connected and it was really groundbreaking at the time). So it wasn't as much rewarding RotK (even though it was incredibly worthy) as much as it was recognizing the trilogy as a whole.

I thought the film won on its own merit. It was a masterful interpretation of the novels, and the cinematography and visual effects were spectacular and breathtaking. The acting was excellent, as well. It was a film that truly transported me, and that doesn't happen very often.

Tonight's Oscars were disappointing - what I saw of them, given that my recording stopped at 3 hours, at which point the best song award was just being given.

I get the outrage about diversity, but didn't need to be hit over the head with it for a few hours. Plus, I found it just a tad unbalanced, given that Hollywood doesn't treat other minorities fairly, and given that it is also very sexist. But I doubt we will ever have a stream of women addressing sexism in Hollywood - that's one day I would like to live to see.

And the host was awful! He reminded me of Nam Nguyen with a few years added on in, but I'd say that Nam is the better performer.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Obviously racism works only one way :biggrinbo

Chris Rock lit into Jada Pinkett and Will Smith pretty good/ bad in his opening monologue. His joke involving Jada Pinkett and Rihanna's pants had people laughing with shock on their faces.

Chris' jokes were well-served throughout the entire broadcast. He kept the show moving and he did it with ease. As usual, the show was boring and lame in spots, but Chris was funny. It could have veered into too much 'diversity' comedy :drama:, but he towed a fine line and ended up doing a good job with a touchy situation. Still, I think it's fine of Jada and Will to take the stance they did along with many others. I'm not sure how many actors and others in Hollywood community decided to not attend on purpose (both black, white, Latino, Asian, etc). Part of Chris' joke was that Will and Jada weren't invited anyway. The show might well have been even lamer without the built-in 'diversity' joke theme.

The Academy reached back and got Louis Gossett, Jr. to attend and Quincy Jones was there along with many others, including Kevin Hart, Whoopi Goldberg, Kerry Washington, and Morgan Freeman, etc.

ETA:
OMG @Japanfan. Comparing Nam Nguyen to Chris Rock! I think Chris himself would likely get a kick and a guffaw out of that, if he knew who Nam Nguyen is, much less how to pronounce his name. :rofl: Someone up-thread noted that Chris Rock is 51 years old btw. He definitely doesn't look his age, but looks can be deceiving. ;)

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I will say this for the Red Carpet this year--at least they're all different looks. I hate years when all the dresses are the same color, same basic style, and everyone shared the same lipstick.

Sofia Vegara. :swoon: Robin Roberts looks the best she's looked in a long time--maybe the best she's ever looked. Saorise Ronan looks like a mermaid in the best way possible. :swoon: :swoon:

Jacob Trembley FTW for best tuxedo wearing.

Really? We must have opposite tastes. I think Daisy Ridley looks awful - too old, dress isn't long enough and just old when she's so young. Alicia Vikander looks like she's going to prom. I'm liking Soairse Ronan, Julianne Moore and Naomi Watts.

You're just trolling now with the spelling! It's S-A-O-I-R-S-E people. :drama:

:lol:

If I white host commented on two black people looking alike, I wonder what the reaction would be. Didn't care for Rock's joke about thinking Sam Smith was George Michael. :blah:

Oh lighten up. :p

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes, it felt like a true-life documentary that was happening before my eyes. It was the first movie role for the main female lead! Such astounding work by the entire cast, led by a master director. My heart clutched during the taut, tension-filled climax. So hard to believe, yet so true to the complexities and conflicts of human emotions/ relationships. Added to the backdrop of war-torn Japanese occupied Shanghai in the 1940s, amidst youthful patriotism, idealism, passion and daring.

I would like to read the novella by Eileen Chang. Apparently, the story is based on true events.

Japanfan

OMG @Japanfan. Comparing Nam Nguyen to Chris Rock! I think Chris himself would likely get a kick and a guffaw out of that, if he knew who Nam Nguyen is, much less how to pronounce his name. :rofl: Someone up-thread noted that Chris Rock is 51 years old btw. He definitely doesn't look his age, but looks can be deceiving. ;)

I didn't look at him much TBH. I fast-forwarded every time he was on stage.

dramatheater

agalisgv

The presentation made me think whether Blacks were the only people of color that existed, or the only ones that mattered. I did think Chris Rock did a great job otherwise.
The Economist did a study on racial diversity in acting and in the Oscars focusing on the period of 2007-2013, and ironically both blacks and whites were awarded oscars greater than their population in the US. It was other racial groups that were really underrepresented.

Here's a link:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/pros...ce=twitter.com&utm_campaign=jgreenman+twitter

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
The Economist did a study on racial diversity in acting and in the Oscars focusing on the period of 2007-2013, and ironically both blacks and whites were awarded oscars greater than their population in the US. It was other racial groups that were really underrepresented.

Here's a link:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/pros...ce=twitter.com&utm_campaign=jgreenman+twitter
Very interesting article. I do think writers, directors and producers are the one who can make the difference in term of offering a wider range of roles for poc and especially for woc who are the most affected by the lack of opportunities. Things are moving as the conversation is getting louder but it'll be tough to get there. Here is another interesting article, a conversation between Lupita Nyong'o and Tevor Noah (daily show presenter) about this issue:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/fashion/lupita-nyongo-and-trevor-noah-table-for-three.html
I especially found interesting the part describing how hard it was for the Daily Show to reach to diverse comedians even though they made the conscious decision to have more diversity on their show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information