Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Saw an interview with Alysa during this mornings coverage. Anyone else getting the sense she’s done? I feel like her goal was just to get here. Doesn’t feel like she has the desire to do much more. She was awkwardly answering questions about her future. I think she’s ready to be a kid. With no real prospect of being a “super star” like her Dad wanted, I feel like the Lius may bow out in this high.
I feel the same and good for Alysa, if true. Her choice.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Saw an interview with Alysa during this mornings coverage. Anyone else getting the sense she’s done? I feel like her goal was just to get here. Doesn’t feel like she has the desire to do much more. She was awkwardly answering questions about her future. I think she’s ready to be a kid. With no real prospect of being a “super star” like her Dad wanted, I feel like the Lius may bow out in this high.
I didn't get that sense. She was talking about going to Worlds and doing more triple axels.

aml78

I didn't get that sense. She was talking about going to Worlds and doing more triple axels.
Worlds is next month. She mentioned very little of what she plans to do beyond that. And with no plan to attempt a quad, to me that signifies she doesn’t plan to attempt to keep up with the technical progression. She doesn’t seem to have much competitive fire. I think she was trying to give an answer that makes it sound like she’s not retiring, so as not to commit, but that was not the interview of someone who is hungry to make another run.

aml78

I thought so, too. Good for her. I didn’t get the sense at all that she didn’t plan to continue.
Or even upset and broken without a medal while the whole world watches your breakdown live on air, as has been known to happen now and then. :shuffle:
Fair fair. Will be interesting to see what happens. I don’t think she is happy living in colorado so not sure what’s going to happen from a coaching perspective.

DreamSkates

Her father said that he didn't want his daughter in a sport that was unfairly favoring those who are using performance-enhancing drugs. I will research the source...saw this in an article a few days ago.

DreamSkates

Worlds is next month. She mentioned very little of what she plans to do beyond that. And with no plan to attempt a quad, to me that signifies she doesn’t plan to attempt to keep up with the technical progression. She doesn’t seem to have much competitive fire. I think she was trying to give an answer that makes it sound like she’s not retiring, so as not to commit, but that was not the interview of someone who is hungry to make another run.
If a skater thinks of needing quads as the only reason to continue figure skating, then how many skaters would continue from now on? Not many.

Vagabond

Fair fair. Will be interesting to see what happens. I don’t think she is happy living in colorado so not sure what’s going to happen from a coaching perspective.
The fact that she would like to study in either the Bay Area or New York City suggests that she may considering which top universities have elite skating coaches in the vicinity. (And that she has learned something from the experiences of Vincent Zhou and Karen Chen.)

Sylvia

TBD
NBC Bay Area’s Janelle Wang spoke with Team USA’s Olympic figure skaters Alysa Liu, Mariah Bell and Karen Chen, who were fresh off the ice Thursday after an emotional end to the women’s figure skating competition in Beijing.

ETA another one from NBC San Diego's Steven Luke ("Just talked with Team USA’s figure skaters about the pressure packed final & what they’d say to Kamila Valiyeva - all 3 said they’d just give her a hug"):

Last edited:

giselle23

Give her a break. She's 16, probably exhausted and not used to doing interviews. She said she is going to concentrate on triple axels, which indicates to me that she plans to continue. As for quads, the Japanese and Korean ladies don't have quads. Should they quit, too. The age limit is going to be raised and we'll see how many are doing quads when they are 18. There also should be more scrutiny of the ladies' quads, which many say are pre-rotated more than would normally be accepted.

NAOTMAA

Exactly. We tried to copy the Russians (and Romanians) in gymnastics and look what happened to our athletes who went through that system. Maybe our women aren't landing quads but hopefully they are happier and healthier (and I hope Gracie's experience has made coaches and parents more aware of the importance of mental health). I'll take a bubbly and giggling Alysa and her downgraded 3A over any of Eteri's crew any day.
Bela and Marta were Romanian not Russian

Debbie S

Bela and Marta were Romanian not Russian
I never said they were. And I did reference Romanians in the first sentence. I believe the Russians employed the same centralized (and subsidized) training system as Romania, that USA Gym wanted to emulate.

Allskate

Nah. Even if the age limit is raised, current skaters will undoubtedly be grandfathered.
And even if they aren't, Alysa seems fine with that. I read an article at some point this past week where she was asked how she would feel if the age limit were higher and she said she'd be fine with it. She'd just have to wait a little longer. I personally love how thrilled she was about her performances regardless of not getting a medal. It seems like a healthy attitude.

As Mariah said this morning on "Olympic Ice," if you take care of yourself, you can skate for a long period of time. Both Mariah and Alysa seem to love both skating and competing. They are not the same thing. And winning at any cost is not the same thing.

Worlds is next month. She mentioned very little of what she plans to do beyond that. And with no plan to attempt a quad, to me that signifies she doesn’t plan to attempt to keep up with the technical progression.
I'm happy that Alysa isn't setting quads as a goal because I doubt she could achieve that goal in a manner that is good for her physical and mental health. I am glad that she not only has her friends from skating around her at the Olympics but also has Mariah and Karen there, who can share with her the benefits of all their experiences. I think Mariah has such healthy perspective on the sport. And Karen, Vincent, and Nathan can share with her what they have learned about how to best balance skating and a demanding school over time.

Frau Muller

I’m looking forward to Isabeau Levito as of next season…for her balletic qualities, not ultra-Cs. I’ll be relieved if the ISU takes measures this summer to de-emphasize quads by women, so that Isabeau can develop all of the beautiful qualities between now and 2024 2026 Milano.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I’m looking forward to Isabeau Levito as of next season…for her balletic qualities, not ultra-Cs. I’ll be relieved if the ISU takes measures this summer to de-emphasize quads by women, so that Isabeau can develop all of the beautiful qualities between now and 2024 Milano.
Well, Milano is 2026, not 2024. And if the ISU decides to raise the age min effective next season then we won't see Levito on the senior level until the following season, if even then. But, she should be old enough for the next Olympics and I hope she'll be competitive. Same with Thorngren and, hopefully, Liu will still be skating.

Frau Muller

Well, Milano is 2026, not 2024. And if the ISU decides to raise the age min effective next season then we won't see Levito on the senior level until the following season, if even then. But, she should be old enough for the next Olympics and I hope she'll be competitive. Same with Thorngren and, hopefully, Liu will still be skating.
Thx - I corrected the year.

Oh, I read that it would be phased so that those 15/16s who’d qualify next season would get in. That was among the pre-proposals.

Karen-W

Thx - I corrected the year.

Oh, I read that it would be phased so that those 15/16s who’d qualify next season would get in.
The proposal the ISU Exec Council voted to forward to the ISU Congress this summer was to raise it to 16 for the 2023-24 season and then 17 for the 2024-25 season, but it certainly can be amended by the full Congress before adoption. I'm not sure, at this point, with everything that went down with the whole 'protected person' status issue that the Congress won't just decide to implement it effective next season instead of waiting a year.

sjs5572

Give her a break. She's 16, probably exhausted and not used to doing interviews. She said she is going to concentrate on triple axels, which indicates to me that she plans to continue. As for quads, the Japanese and Korean ladies don't have quads. Should they quit, too. The age limit is going to be raised and we'll see how many are doing quads when they are 18. There also should be more scrutiny of the ladies' quads, which many say are pre-rotated more than would normally be accepted.
Between the age limits and increased scrutiny on PEDs, I think quads will again be few and far between.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Oh I don't know.
She must be exhausted and I would think any decisions she makes right now may be different when things get back to normal. In the last two years she grew a whole different body...two coaching changes and Covid.

I can't believe anyone can walk in a straight line. I hope Alysa is able
to live her best life.
To bad there is no longer a pro circuit. She is young. If she calls me or drives over to my 🏠 I will help her sort it out.

carriecmu0503

Nah. Even if the age limit is raised, current skaters will undoubtedly be grandfathered.
Can we please choose a term that is not so racist, please?

Karen-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information