#TeamTrainwreck 25: Maximum Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Was he? I got the impression he was in St Petersburg this year. I could be wrong but I thought he only did the broadcast remotely from BC last year because no one was traveling into or out of Canada, and not especially to Russia (Chelyabinsk no less) last year.

Tiff didn't issue a statement exactly but she did have a few IG stories from when she was still in the hospital, so it isn't as if it was some huge secret, even if you don't frequent fan boards.
Why would he follow her on IG??? I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on if @taz'smum hadn't told us and I do follow her on IG, except I look at that maybe once a week or so. :lol: Neither here nor there because she does deserve privacy and discussing it on an open broadcast would have been highly inappropriate in my opinion. An injury that happens during an event, yes, but not other health matters.

angi

Ted was in Canada, not Russia. How was he supposed to know about Tiff's illness? It's not as if she took out a billboard and made a public announcement. Medical issues are private. Fans know because fans pay attention to fan boards. I doubt that Ted does that. He knows what the producers hand him to read.
He would have known if he did any kind of serious preparation before the event. It's not just about what is seen on the ice, the off-ice story matters too, especially when it's an injury or an illness.
I think that we are spoiled by Mark Hanretty's commentary because he not only do serious preparation before an event - he does it for every skater, even the ones that many skating fans don't even know, and he's also active on Twitter during the event so he even addresses skating fans comments (like fans outrage over Morisi's 4T basically being a 4S during CoR). He sets a very high standard regarding how knowledgeable a commentator is. Tanith also sets a high standard for high-quality skating commentary and seems to be very familiar with skating culture (like mentioning Fear/Gibson are referred to as Disco Brits by skating fans). They represent what skating commentary should be all about - knowledgable skating comments that can reach the masses but with strong appeal to die-hard fans.

As for how he should have known about Tiff's illness - there were several articles in the Russian media that I've seen about it and they withdrew from their GP assignments which is a strong indication that perhaps he should have checked why.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Ted sits through hours and hours of competitions trying to be as positive about the skaters as possible. He’s almost single-handedly brought us JGP competitions in full for the last 10 years. Let me tell you, 20 years ago I don’t think anyone ever dreamt of that.

Yeah, his positivity is annoying for snarky and oh-so witty FSU but people also have to realize he’s not scoping out message boards for hours a day. That’s not his job. Would it be great if he was an encyclopedia of skating or if he had an excellent research team in his ear while commentating? Maybe. But he sees A LOT of skating as it is. There are people here who watch every minute of every last competition (and then debate those competitions for a few days) and can’t even tell you what happened last week. 😆 Tiff’s exact situation was not really all over English-speaking media leading up to Nationals, and if her own mother isn’t blowing a gasket about this or all the little things, then why that energy from some of you? 👀

I’m fairly certain Belbin has researchers in her ear because I know Tara and Johnny have them. Not that she’s really ever been ill-informed, but we also have to consider that she probably has extra sources of info at her disposal.

ETA- I remember one of the first years Skate Canada had live practices streamed, Chock/Bates showed up and Debbi Wilkes and whoever else were commenting kept saying they had never seen the skaters before, yet Chock had won a medal at that very event the year before 😂 it happens.

(Non-team trainwreck rant over)

Vagabond

He would have known if he did any kind of serious preparation before the event. It's not just about what is seen on the ice, the off-ice story matters too, especially when it's an injury or an illness.
Isn't expecting Ted to lurk in this thread and stalk Tiff on Instagram asking just a little bit too much? We certainly don't demand that Tara and Johnny to do that. :unsure:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Lastly, this is not a thread for argument and debate. Information was shared in here because it was safe and most of us who post in the TTW threads on a regular basis kept it in here. If some of you want to debate and argue issues, please take them to one of the many threads created for that purpose. The only person who has a right to post snarky comments about Ted's comments or lack there of regarding Tiff is her mother and she's not doing it.

angi

Isn't expecting Ted to lurk in this thread and stalk Tiff on Instagram asking just a little bit too much? We certainly don't demand that Tara and Johnny to do that. :unsure:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant when I mentioned the countless articles that came out on the subject and him inquiring why they withdrew from their GP assignments.

Vagabond

Folks, I won't name names, but this thread is a haven for us weirdos and freaks with a good sense of humor. You are always welcome to lurk here, but if you can't be both nice and silly, then there are numerous threads in Great Skate Debate and the Kiss and Cry that are calling out for you.

S

SmallFairy

Sorry for opening the can of worms!
Let’s just say in general I prefer journalists who do some research, it doesn’t have to be every tiny detail, but some…

I’ll leave it at that, and say, yes, absolutely, no way Boss is going to Tallin only for Euros. That van is for sure staying (until taken away…🚜🪝)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Riff on when the Devil went down to Georgia and King Herod's Song

The devil went down to Estonia, he was lookin' for a soul to steal
He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind
And he was willin' to make a deal

Jesus, I am overjoyed
To meet You face to face
You've been getting quite a name
All around the place

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Mama's takeaway from Nationals 🇷🇺

Loved the drama🍿🍿🍿
(except for the Tiff bit 😲)

Favourite parts -
Pairs Long - great event,
Trusova - (love it when she gets the bit between her teeth),
Jesus -of course
Puppy dog's happiness at winning gold
Khuda and boy's happiness in the green room
Tiff and Jon skating a clean RD

Mama's liver is threatening to go on strike.🍹🥃🍻🍺🍷
But hey, I got some nice photos 🤣

Next stop Euros with Jesus and the Devil, 🍿🍿🍿

SamuraiK

Watching JPN ladies

Ahhh Mai popping the axel :wall::wall::fragile::fragile: that was your ticket little fairy!!

Like I said, they do love to push Semenenko over the others. I get he was the most consistent, but not really now and one GP medal doesnt justify it IMO.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

🇷🇺 Dance

S/B. I just love their look. Classic Romeo for him. The nude (lipstick) for her. Not too fond of modern start, but really like the R&J. Happy puppy.
D/S. I won't comment. I love the way the opening rotational lift builds - the rest I bet is discussed to death in other threads.
K/B. Winning bronze and likely not being send anywhere, that's #ttw. I love Bazin, sorry Khuda, you had the sparkle eyes, but to me: he is the star on ice actually. Please better programs next season.
M/B. 2nd place finsiher for me. I really feel for them :( She is a star - but no clue what plans they have with her; can they pull Bagin that far?
Narizhnyy. He is hot and that's it about that program.
Skoptcova/Aleshin. Love her for reaction after Z/G. Actually the program I liked the most as concept. It really suits them, builds nicely, but it was skated not well, so no surprise in drop. They are.
Z/G. Well, I guess there is already said enough too. What a fighting spirit. Seeing Tiff, hearing coach, seeing coach, seeing Jon dragging her...intense. It somehow felt even metaphoric towards the end with the rotational lift where Tiff just clinched full force on Jon. That felt so real in every sense.

Best Dressed: Bukin
Fav Program: Skoptoca/Aleshin
Best chickenlegs: Bazin
Do Hard: Jon (who actually looked like he has been done hard in knc :p)

J

Jeschke

🇯🇵 Men:

Overall. Edges :swoon:
Hanyu. Well, the 4a attempt is badass, I approve. Though I hate the Aliona-memorial focus going into it. I could not care less about the rest.
Uno. This program is empty as ****, but I am happy for Uno.
Kagiyama. I just ignorre the tinkyl piano to start, the rest about that program is :love: Nelle tue mani is created for olympic moment and I'd die if he plays the big spoiler.
Miura. Awesome for him, didn't get me.
Tomono. OMG the final steps are pure gold :love: Such a joy. I knew he wouldn't make it, but that FS is absolutely gorgeous!
Miyake. Feather jacket outta vice's wardrobe.
Yamamote. The heartbreak is real here :drama: Such a classy skater, such a trainwreck at hearts :gallopin1
Tanaka. Farewell.

Best Dressed: Yamamoto.
Do Hard. Yamamoto.
Fav program: Kagiyama

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeschke

🇯🇵 Selection.

Kudos to sticking to K/K - I would not have expected, even with that result.
But why sending T/M to worlds, but not changing any of the single teams remains very meh to me.
Men team likely will change by itself until worlds, but after Mihara did fit in so many boxes of selection criteria and nationals was kinda closed, worlds would have felt a fair decision from beginnng imho.
Meh.
Meh.
Meh.

J

Jeschke

🇷🇺 Men.

What a rollercoaster. For Sokolovskaya. For me.
I know all of you could not care less, but this was really :( for me.
I knew the chance of him making it was almost not there, but seeing him that defeated in the end :(
This felt so much like farewell as he left the ice waving.
Loved him with Sokolovskaya, who was awesome in knc, where he almost couldn't hold it together.
I am really devastated, just for seeing his dreams shattered and him realizing that :(

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeschke

🇷🇺 Men pt II

Mark. No words. I absolutely love him. And I am so happy Sokolovskaya having got that moment. Having him since early years, this must feel as great satifsaction and making it all worth :love:
Kolyada. Original blouse please.
Mozalev. OMFG :love: I just love everything about his skating, even the old fashion approach to it. The :gallopin1 he is, I guess it's more than likely he will be ditched after Euros :( I don't wanna be in his coaches skin now, to decide with what tactics to go into euros.
Semenenko. His skating does not much to me, but he is guilty pleasure and I always root for him. Tough seeing him in knc :( But as said, I think he has really good chances making it in the end.
Petr. Hell yeah! Grew so much on me!
Erokhov. Finishing 7th in this field must feel like some redemption for him, though he and Volchkova knew, he could have been higher. There are some real guilty pleasure moments in that FS.
Aliev. We'll always have Graz :(
Ignatov. Dom't know what to say.
Danielian. Nice to see some old sparks back. He tried so hard keep it together in knc :(
Yablokov. Volchkova, a program as shit as that isn't fun anymore. Old hair pls.
Savosin. Epic music choice! Imagine this for Pogo back then :love: Absolutely love the concept! Always a sentimental fav of mine.

J

Jeschke

🇷🇺 Women SP

Valieva. Great.
Anna. The program could be really good. As sloppy as it is skated, it's just a big turnoff.
LaTuk. Oh the drama. I did not see that coming at all. Face escalation here. Bf asked if I was having a stroke.
Sinitsyna. That program is pure :love:
Tsaerva. 90s memorial hairdo, good lord. I am so much between :encore: and :yikes: !
The rest. I could not care less. RUS women nationals was my fave event few years ago. Meh meh meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information