Korean skating news & updates

seabm7

Go Eun PARK (or Go Eyun PARK), who won the 2016 Asian Trophy basic novice girls B, retired.

She does not have an ISU bio and is not known outside Korea. But she has a name among Korean fans due to her creativity.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Misha Ge worked with Eunsoo Lim last week at the Korea National Training Center (in or near Seoul?): https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ikDPRpIR6/

I heard music in her IG story clips before they expired and it sounded like Chopin's Nocturne no. 20 in C sharp minor for piano & violin (SP or FS? David Wilson may have choreographed a program for her back in June).

BTW, there was an ISU ice dance development seminar held at the Korea National Training Center a week ago (came across these photos posted on a young New Zealand team' account): https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Sqo0KnZn5/

sammyf

[QUOTE="Sylvia, post: 5624017, member: 1325"BTW, there was an ISU ice dance development seminar held at the Korea National Training Center a week ago (came across these photos posted on a young New Zealand team' account): https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Sqo0KnZn5/
[/QUOTE]

According to the ACT state facebook page there were "fourteen couples participating in the seminar, with other participants coming from South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, India, Uzbekistan and New Zealand. Of which they [AUS] were one of five Junior level couples present."

Any guesses on the rest?
Alexandra & Christopher Fladun-Dorling AUS
Harshita RAWTANI / Vansh BHATIA IND
Jeongeun JEON / Sungmin CHOI KOR
Isabelle GUISE / Dashane DU PLESSIS NZL
Lucienne HOLTZ / Tim BRADFIELD NZL
Gemma PICKERING / Benji PICKERING NZL
Arina PAVLISHCHUK / Alexandr KUROPATKA UZB
Japan team?
Taiwan team?
Vietnam team?

barbarafan

I think he confirmed it on the Ice Time podcast interview he did, but I haven't listened to it yet, so I'm not sure.
Sad for her from a skating point of view. I hope she goes to a good coach as she is so talented.I would never go back to a coach who had turned on me the way Raf did so I am totally in agreement with her leaving(if it was her decision).I just hope she can match up with a good coach.

LeafOnTheWind

Rafael did confirm she left but enough with the bullshit that he turned on her. Raf said he liked her and wished she had decided to stay so he wasn't holding her agent's tactics against her.

If I was a coach I wouldn't keep any skater from ATF no matter how much I liked working with the skater themselves.

barbarafan

Rafael did confirm she left but enough with the bullshit that he turned on her. Raf said he liked her and wished she had decided to stay so he wasn't holding her agent's tactics against her.

If I was a coach I wouldn't keep any skater from ATF no matter how much I liked working with the skater themselves.
Enough with your bullshit...A PR statement months later to not discourage foreign skaters from coming to his school does not negate his treatment of her at the time of the incident. She is a 16 yr old girl. I hope all the hype about her management team does not discourage other coaches from taking her on. She has the goods to be top 5 in the world.

Tavi

I don’t remember Raf treating her badly at the time - all I remember was that there was some awkwardness in the kiss n cry, and I don’t think any of us know what preceded that.

All I recall about this thing was that her management company made a lot of unsubstantiated allegations against Mariah - both that she deliberately attacked Eunsoo at Worlds and that she engaged in ongoing bullying during training, said they would provide proof, and never did.

I don’t blame Eunsoo for any of this and I hope she’s comfortable in her new training environment. But I don’t know that Raf did anything blameworthy, either.

barbarafan

I don’t remember Raf treating her badly at the time - all I remember was that there was some awkwardness in the kiss n cry, and I don’t think any of us know what preceded that.

All I recall about this thing was that her management company made a lot of unsubstantiated allegations against Mariah - both that she deliberately attacked Eunsoo at Worlds and that she engaged in ongoing bullying during training, said they would provide proof, and never did.

I don’t blame Eunsoo for any of this and I hope she’s comfortable in her new training environment. But I don’t know that Raf did anything blameworthy, either.
Everything else aside....as I did not see anything else on video and nonsense was spouted on both sides.
1) clean and clear video of 24yr old woman with yrs of competition experience skates up behind 16yr girl in her first worlds and kicks her leg with her skate and keeps skating on without stopping.
2) clean and clear video of 16 yr old Eunsoo coming off the ice after she competed. 50 something Raf turns his head to stare at nothing and shoves his hand out with the skate guards in them.
3) 50 something Raf sits beside 16yr old in kiss n cry and completely ignores her. She had skated really well.

Students are not cash cows...They are children and someone was paying for his support which they did not receive.

barbarafan

The problem is she did not stop and say oops r u ok?
That is what normal people do.

But we are discussing Raf and if he is a supportive coach.
It does not look like it.

Tavi

Everything else aside....as I did not see anything else on video and nonsense was spouted on both sides.
1) clean and clear video of 24yr old woman with yrs of competition experience skates up behind 16yr girl in her first worlds and kicks her leg with her skate and keeps skating on without stopping.
2) clean and clear video of 16 yr old Eunsoo coming off the ice after she competed. 50 something Raf turns his head to stare at nothing and shoves his hand out with the skate guards in them.
3) 50 something Raf sits beside 16yr old in kiss n cry and completely ignores her. She had skated really well.

Students are not cash cows...They are children and someone was paying for his support which they did not receive.

Barbarafan - I often agree withyour posts. I don’t agree with this one or with your characterization of the events or the people involved.

When I started skating on freestyle sessions - and mind you I’m a far less accomplished or experienced skater than either Mariah or Eunsoo - I learned, before I ever set foot on the ice, that there are right of way rules designed to keep people safe, and that sometimes, even if people try their best to follow those rules, accidents happen.

Based on the way you characterize what you saw on the video, I would guess you don’t skate, or at least, not on freestyle sessions.

What I saw - as a skater - was not a deliberate attack by Mariah on Eunsoo and wanton disregard of the consequences, but a skater focused on running her program (which gives her the right of way) who accidentally and without realizing it grazed another skater’s leg. Whether or not Eunsoo was paying as much attention to the other skaters as she should have been - and it looks to me like she probably wasn’t - what happened to her was an accident - which is what the ISU found when they looked at the video.

I also want to say that the age difference between Mariah and Eunsoo - which you made much of - is irrelevant in this context.

Eunsoo is an experienced international competitor. This was not her first international event. It wasn’t her first senior level event. It wasn’t even her first senior level championship event, since she had just competed at 4CCs. Besides that, last season she also competed at two Grand Prix events and two Challengers; she was also on the Junior Grand Prix circuit for two seasons and competed at Junior Worlds twice.

Given that she’s clearly got substantial experience skating on official practice sessions in international competitions, I don’t think it’s accurate to characterize her as an inexperienced child at Worlds who needed extra protection, consideration, and guidance at that practice session.

Finally, with respect to Raf, the reason I mentioned the awkward moments in the kiss n cry is precisely because they were surprising.

As I said, I am not blaming Eunsoo for the way things spiraled out of control. But without knowing what happened off-ice between Raf, Eunsoo, her parents, and her management before she competed, I don’t think it’s fair to blame him. For all we know, her parents or management could have yelled at him, told him he was forbidden to touch or speak to her, etc. And without knowing, I think it’s a mistake to assume he had bad intentions or that he ever thought of her as a cash cow.

barbarafan

Barbarafan - I often agree withyour posts. I don’t agree with this one or with your characterization of the events or the people involved.

When I started skating on freestyle sessions - and mind you I’m a far less accomplished or experienced skater than either Mariah or Eunsoo - I learned, before I ever set foot on the ice, that there are right of way rules designed to keep people safe, and that sometimes, even if people try their best to follow those rules, accidents happen.

Based on the way you characterize what you saw on the video, I would guess you don’t skate, or at least, not on freestyle sessions.

What I saw - as a skater - was not a deliberate attack by Mariah on Eunsoo and wanton disregard of the consequences, but a skater focused on running her program (which gives her the right of way) who accidentally and without realizing it grazed another skater’s leg. Whether or not Eunsoo was paying as much attention to the other skaters as she should have been - and it looks to me like she probably wasn’t - what happened to her was an accident - which is what the ISU found when they looked at the video.

I also want to say that the age difference between Mariah and Eunsoo - which you made much of - is irrelevant in this context.

Eunsoo is an experienced international competitor. This was not her first international event. It wasn’t her first senior level event. It wasn’t even her first senior level championship event, since she had just competed at 4CCs. Besides that, last season she also competed at two Grand Prix events and two Challengers; she was also on the Junior Grand Prix circuit for two seasons and competed at Junior Worlds twice.

Given that she’s clearly got substantial experience skating on official practice sessions in international competitions, I don’t think it’s accurate to characterize her as an inexperienced child at Worlds who needed extra protection, consideration, and guidance at that practice session.

Finally, with respect to Raf, the reason I mentioned the awkward moments in the kiss n cry is precisely because they were surprising.

As I said, I am not blaming Eunsoo for the way things spiraled out of control. But without knowing what happened off-ice between Raf, Eunsoo, her parents, and her management before she competed, I don’t think it’s fair to blame him. For all we know, her parents or management could have yelled at him, told him he was forbidden to touch or speak to her, etc. And without knowing, I think it’s a mistake to assume he had bad intentions or that he ever thought of her as a cash cow.
Very simply...1)- I in no way said it was not an accident as I have no way of knowing this, nor do you, Eunsoo United states figureskating or Korean federation. Only Ms. Bell knows.
2) you cannot hit an object and not know it. She was too far from the boards for it to be the boards so that leaves Eunsoo.
3) I do not figure skate but have watched practices and competitions and some lessons for many, many yrs.The only time I have seen a collision where the person hitting an individual did not stop and inquire after the person hit is S/K and V/M at NHK in I believe 2017. I have heard it said that he did say he was sorry later on. So my point was she should have stopped Period. Nothing more, nothing less.
4) The moments preceding the kiss and cry and during the kiss n cry did not look awkward. He looked totally piss**ed and if there had been any type of altercation prior he should have sent his wife to the boards and kiss n cry as she at least supervised her leg being treated and seemed to care.
5) RE: the ages.....my emphasis is on mental maturity.
16yr old girl................24yr old woman...............50 something yr old man

dinakt

Very simply...1)- I in no way said it was not an accident as I have no way of knowing this, nor do you, Eunsoo United states figureskating or Korean federation. Only Ms. Bell knows.
2) you cannot hit an object and not know it. She was too far from the boards for it to be the boards so that leaves Eunsoo.
3) I do not figure skate but have watched practices and competitions and some lessons for many, many yrs.The only time I have seen a collision where the person hitting an individual did not stop and inquire after the person hit is S/K and V/M at NHK in I believe 2017. I have heard it said that he did say he was sorry later on. So my point was she should have stopped Period. Nothing more, nothing less.
4) The moments preceding the kiss and cry and during the kiss n cry did not look awkward. He looked totally piss**ed and if there had been any type of altercation prior he should have sent his wife to the boards and kiss n cry as she at least supervised her leg being treated and seemed to care.
16yr old girl................24yr old woman...............50 something yr old man

I will say something similar to @Tavi... I agree with you often, but not this time.
2. You CAN not notice if you barely graze something soft (skin, soft tissue) while running your program. Music, emotion, concentration on elements- those are serious distractions. It was stated by various observers more than once that Mariah was utterly distraught when she learned she hurt Eunsoo. Then she immediately privately apologized. That was also stated repeatedly by various sources.
4. We do not know what happened in between the incident and the skate.
I like Eunsoo's skating and wish her the best.

Last edited:

Tavi

Hi - thank you for your response. I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this. Since I’m guessing people want to hear news about Eunsoo and other Korean skaters, I’m just going to leave things here, okay?

barbarafan

I will say something similar to @Tavi... I agree with you often, but not this time.
2. You CAN not notice if you barely graze something soft (skin, soft tissue) while running your program. Music, emotion, concentration on elements- those are serious distractions. It was stated by various observers more than once that Mariah was utterly distraught when she learned she hurt Eunsoo. Then she immediately privately apologized. That was also stated repeatedly by various sources.
4. We do not know what happened in between the incident and the skate.
I like Eunsoo's skating and wish her the best.
I never heard of any reaction at all by Mariah or of any apology by Mariah except by Raf at a meeting perhaps next day he said Mariah did not know she had hit Eunsoo and that she was sorry. Could not tell if this was a trusted source or not.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
"A Korea Skating Union (KSU) official said on Friday that Bell had expressed her lack of intent to harm and offered an apology, adding that the two skaters could meet sometime, before or after the free skate part of the competition, for Bell to say sorry in person." Subsequent reports indicated that meeting did take place and Mariah apologized in person.

seabm7

City of Seoul is replacing the ice maker for the main rink of Mokdong until the end of this year. Mokdong is the host venue of 4CC 2020.

KSU is expected to relocate Ranking competition to somewhere else, which happens during December.

Last edited:

seabm7

https://edaily.co.kr/news/read?newsId=01252966622616184&mediaCodeNo=258

Eunsoo LIM
SP Capriccio Espagnol by Rimsky-Korsakov, choreo by David Wilson
FS Sabrina OST, choreo by David Wilson (ETD: It's not clear which film version Wilson used. The edaily article may have been wrong.)

Yelim KIM
SP Black Swan (2011 film)
FS Love Story (1971 film)

Haein Lee
SP Nocturne by Chopin
FS Firedance from Riverdance

June Hyoung LEE
SP I Put a Spell on You (Jeff Beck cover), choreo by June Hyoung LEE
FS The Artist OST, choreo by David Wilson

Last edited:

seabm7

City of Seoul is replacing the ice maker for the main rink of Mokdong until the end of this year. Mokdong is the host venue of 4CC 2020.

KSU is expected to relocate Ranking competition to somewhere else, which happens during December.

According to a rumor, the ice maker part itself will be ready before the Ranking competition. I hope City of Seoul would fix other old facility problems, too.

Last edited:

skatfan

It would be wiser to eliminate the Tanking competition altogether but I’m guessing that won’t happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information