Korean skating news & updates

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
To quote my ramble on JGP entry taktiks from the GS forum:

If I were the Korean fed, I'd tell Lee Sihyeong to stay in Europe and head straight to Chelyabinsk. He's currently signed up for the Croatia JGP, where he'll have to beat three (3) of Gogolev, Sato, Danielian, Samsonov and Torgashev in order to get on the podium and have a shot at the JGPF. He just beat Samsonov and Torgashev, but there's no guarantee both of them will make mistakes again. (I guess there's a near guarantee Torgashev will, but that won't be enough.) And Gogolev, Sato and Danielian are so strong they'll need to bomb to place below Lee. (That said, Danielian is inconsistent in general and Gogolev seems to be going through some growing pains, so it’s not impossible.)

He's currently an alternate for the Russian and Italian JGPs, and in Egna-Neumarkt he'd have to beat one of Grassl, Mozalev and Gumennik (or more accurately, two of them and Malinin) to get on the podium, which would be pretty tough unless someone had a bad competition; even though I think he should have beaten a semi-clean Mozalev in Riga, the judges made their opinion clear. In Chelyabinsk, assuming the entries don't change, he'd just need to beat one of Danielian, Samsonov and Kovler. It would be very taxing to go to back-to-back JGPs, and it wouldn't be fair to Cha Younghyun, but it would maximise Lee's chances of making the JGPF, and I think that should be the fed's top priority.

This is all assuming federations can still make substitutions for non-health-related reasons at this point, of course, which I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Dobre

He's currently signed up for the Croatia JGP, where he'll have to beat three (3) of Gogolev, Sato, Danielian, Samsonov and Torgashev in order to get on the podium and have a shot at the JGPF.

Or they will have to defeat themselves, which--given the last two men's events we've seen--seems epically possible. Along with defeating Samsonov & Torgashev, Lee also outscored Sato & Gogolev from last week. (And based on Dobrinfan's tragic posts, I'm assuming Danielian also).

Miki89

It was good to see Eunsoo win a medal at Autumn Classic, but I think her skating regressed a bit. Some of her old issues are returning (lack of power, rushed movements). I have always thought Wilson is an overrated choreographer but his programs for her this season are some of his most disappointing imo. The SP music does not match her style and there is no real connection between the LP choreography and the music. A definite step down from her wonderful programs last season.
She is such a talented skater, so it's unfortunate how the drama last season ended her chance to train abroad. I still think she needs a more experienced coaching team to help her advance to the next level. Otherwise, I can see the equally talented Hae In Lee surpassing her in the near future.

Marco

Young You's jump look good, but I am not too enthusiastic about her packaging. Those programs bring out her sloppiness and lack of musicality.

all_empty

It was good to see Eunsoo win a medal at Autumn Classic, but I think her skating regressed a bit. Some of her old issues are returning (lack of power, rushed movements). I have always thought Wilson is an overrated choreographer but his programs for her this season are some of his most disappointing imo. The SP music does not match her style and there is no real connection between the LP choreography and the music. A definite step down from her wonderful programs last season.
She is such a talented skater, so it's unfortunate how the drama last season ended her chance to train abroad. I still think she needs a more experienced coaching team to help her advance to the next level. Otherwise, I can see the equally talented Hae In Lee surpassing her in the near future.

I agree. Eunsoo's programs are a bit of a letdown after last season. The FS is a bit of a snooze, but my word, how beautifully packaged is she? I actually wouldn't mind if she brought back last season's SP and turn the current one into a FS. Let's remember that she's only 16 so plenty of time for artistic growth.

I thought You was more dynamic in her summer competitions, but she's reworked the jump layout of the FS from Philly so I'm sure she's happy with getting the job done.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Eunsoo's Sabrina program (by David Wilson) is breathtaking, and she skated much better than in the sp. Still, Eunsoo's weakness is her lack of emotion. For this program to grow, she needs to relax and project more. I'm happy to see this type of program for a ladies skater. I wish more classic and interesting movie soundtracks would be utilized (e.g., I'm pining to see someone use the Laura soundtrack by David Raksin):

I had posted my above thoughts about Sabrina in the U.S. ladies thread, and then brought the post here more appropriately. As I said, I really like this Sabrina program by David Wilson. The sp just seemed more of the usual for Eunsoo. It wasn't bad, it was just that Eunsoo did not skate well in the sp. I agree with what the CBC commentators had to say about Eunsoo's skating in the sp. She seemed to buck up her courage a bit more for the fp, but one of her weaknesses is a lack of emotion.

I think the Sabrina fp could evolve and be quite good for Eunsoo's growth, if she could relax and show more emotion that is truly coming from within. She has to feel it and show it herself. The coach and choreographer can't do that for her. While David Wilson is not always spot-on and he doesn't work for everyone, and some of his ideas don't always pan out that well, he is still a very good choreographer. I think he has the right instincts with this Sabrina program, although I know some fans don't like romantic movie music. I haven't examined the choreo that minutely, but I do think there's something in it for Eunsoo to bring out more fully if she can be inspired enough to do so.

I agree with you that the unfortunate episode which happened last season hurt Eunsoo's rep and possibly impacted her overall development. It was seemingly not of her doing, but she got swept up in the unnecessary drama. Bad on her management company and on the Korean fans for going overboard.

Last edited:

Marco

Cha withdrew because it takes longer time for him to get the Chinese visa. He has to go back to South Korea and apply for the visa in Seoul.

That's a shame. This would have been a relatively stress free competition for him to try the 4flip again. He was so close!

I woudl expect the visa logistics should have been figured out ahead of time...

seabm7

That's a shame. This would have been a relatively stress free competition for him to try the 4flip again. He was so close!

I woudl expect the visa logistics should have been figured out ahead of time...

It turned out October 1-7 is a Chinese National Holiday period. The embassy in Seoul does not work during this week, which means loss of one more training week.

Last edited:

seabm7

There is still no confirmation on where the ranking competition/the Korean national will be held this year.

Mokdong (2015 4CC) Ice Rink is under renovation. The work will be finished before December, but a couple of more months would be needed to clean the air and avoid the sick house syndrome. The renovation on Goyang (2008 4CC) Ice Rink is almost done. This facility will open on November. Other large ice rinks are rather far from Seoul.

The good news is, Mokdong will be ready for 2020 4CC with a new ice maker.

Last edited:

seabm7

Youth Olympic Selection Competition at Taeneung Ice Rink KST

Schedule

October 12 Saturday
Junior men short 16:50
Junior ladies short 17:54

October 13 Sunday
Junior men free 13:10
Junior ladies free 14:14

Starting Order

Junior men
1. Young Hyun CHA
2. Han Gil KIM

Junior ladies
1. Siwon LEE
2. Boin MOON
3. 정민경
4. 곽문주
5. Chae Eun NOH
6. Seoyeoung WI
7. Haein LEE
8. Ye Eun SEO
9. Seohyun MIN
10. Hyungsoo CHOI
11. Soeun CHOI
12. Young YOU
13. Seoyeon JI
14. Yelim KIM

Dobre

Wheee! I assume this means Yelim and Young are both competing a junior version of their programs, correct?

seabm7

A couple of changes:

Junior ladies
1. Siwon LEE
2. Boin MOON
3. 정민경
4. 곽문주
5. Chae Eun NOH (document mix-up. Did not apply for this competition)
6. Seoyeoung WI
7. Haein LEE
8. Ye Eun SEO
9. Seohyun MIN WD
10. Hyungsoo CHOI
11. Soeun CHOI
12. Young YOU
13. Seoyeon JI
14. Yelim KIM

Last edited:

seabm7

Just for your information, a venue candidate for the ranking competition on December is Yi Sun-sin Ice Rink at Asan. It takes 2 and half hours from Center of Seoul to Yi Sun-sin Ice Rink either by bus or train. The rink can seat 500 spectators. The ice size is 61m times 30m.

KSU held 2014 ranking competition at this rink.

seabm7

2019 YOWG Qualifying Event

Ladies Short

1. Young YOU 69.96 = 39.16 + 30.80
2A, 3Lz+3T, FSSp3, 3Lo, StSq3, LSp4, CCoSp4

2. Haein LEE 69.24 = 39.70 + 29.54
3Lz+3T, LSp4, 2A, FSSp4, 3Lo, StSq4, CCoSp4

3. Yelim KIM 64.46 = 34.60 + 29.46
3Lz+3T<, 3Lo, FSSp4, 2A, CCoSp4, StSq3, LSp2

4. Seo Young WI 61.58 = 35.07 + 26.51
2A, 3Lo, CCoSp4, 3Lz+3T<, FSSp4, StSq3, LSp4

Seoyeon JI WD'd due to a broken boot.

Last edited:

seabm7

A rumor concerning the Korean National venue,

• KSU is having difficulty finding the venue. The ice rinks are not interested.
  • The National venue will likely be Uijeongbu (의정부시시설관리공단실내빙상장. Uijeongbu City Government Office Indoor Ice Rink. Pronounced as Ui - Jeong - Bu).
This rink is notorious among Korean fans. It's very cold even by the Korean standard, and there is no convenience facility nearby. It's located north to Seoul, and it takes one and half hours from the center of Seoul to the rink by train AND bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information