2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

Andrea82

Does Starostin have German citizenship now? I remember that at the times of 2022 Worlds, he was still Russian by passport.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Does Starostin have German citizenship now? I remember that at the times of 2022 Worlds, he was still Russian by passport.
I don't think that matters for potential GP assignments as long as he is able to travel to Finland.

swissskate

Shame, but not surprising. My bet would be A. Selevko or Starostin as the replacement. Yes, I do think, given we're still a week out and there are 5 European-based guys, that one of them will be invited. Frangi's the one who I would pick, but Selevko is the closest, being based in Tallinn, and Starostin trains with Hendrickx, so his coach will already be there.
Selevko is now in

Colonel Green

So, with one event to go:

Men
1. Shoma Uno
2. Kao Miura
3. Sota Yamamoto
4. Daniel Grassl

You'd assume that Ilia makes it, and silver or better next week would put Shun ahead of Adam. Keegan wouldn't be a candidate to make the Final unless he outright wins next week, but he could play spoiler for Shun's hopes if he's in form.

Women
1. Kaori Sakamoto
2. Kim Ye-lim
3. Isabeau Levito

Next week, Loena and Mai should both be in barring total disaster. Rinka is on the bubble, but I'd say the only realistic scenario where she doesn't get the sixth spot is if Anastasiia gets the silver over one of Loena and Mai.

Pairs
1. Miura/Kihara
2. Knierim/Frazier
3. Stellato/Deschamps
4. Chan/Howe
5. Conti/Macci

Sixth spot is likely between whoever of Ghilardi/Ambrosini and Metelkina/Parkman place higher next weekend, unless it's a total disaster for both and that allows the currently on-the-bubble Kovalevs to squeak in.

Ice dance
1. Guignard/Fabbri
2. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen
3. Chock/Bates
4. Fear/Gibson

Just pencil Gilles/Poirier and Hawayek/Baker in already, as has been the case since the assignments were handed out. The only real drama is whether Carreira & Ponomarenko can manage to steal the second alternate spot if they really blow the doors off the place.

Karen-W

So, with one event to go:

Men
1. Shoma Uno
2. Kao Miura
3. Sota Yamamoto
4. Daniel Grassl

You'd assume that Ilia makes it, and silver or better next week would put Shun ahead of Adam. Keegan wouldn't be a candidate to make the Final unless he outright wins next week, but he could play spoiler for Shun's hopes if he's in form.
Even so-so-form Keegan's score from his first GP is higher than Shun's score from his first GP, so I think we're looking at a pretty even match-up here. A silver here puts Keegan in the 1st alternate position, which isn't a bad spot to be in. Also, don't forget Morisi, who is more than capable of playing spoiler for Shun's GPF hopes too. Men are leading the way, as usual, in being the most unpredictable of the four disciplines. :rofl:
Women
1. Kaori Sakamoto
2. Kim Ye-lim
3. Isabeau Levito

Next week, Loena and Mai should both be in barring total disaster. Rinka is on the bubble, but I'd say the only realistic scenario where she doesn't get the sixth spot is if Anastasiia gets the silver over one of Loena and Mai.
Yes, I think the women's field is all but assured at this point. Sumiyoshi, Gubanova and You should be the alternates.
Pairs
1. Miura/Kihara
2. Knierim/Frazier
3. Stellato/Deschamps
4. Chan/Howe
5. Conti/Macci

Sixth spot is likely between whoever of Ghilardi/Ambrosini and Metelkina/Parkman place higher next weekend, unless it's a total disaster for both and that allows the currently on-the-bubble Kovalevs to squeak in.
Well, GPdF wasn't all that great overall, and the FS at Warsaw Cup earlier today wasn't stellar, but GhiAmbr are still managing to score 10-20 points higher than MetPark's SB. I have a feeling that Italy's going to join the US with two teams in the GPF. ;) Alternates are likely to be Les Kovs, MetPark, and Caldara/Maglio.
Ice dance
1. Guignard/Fabbri
2. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen
3. Chock/Bates
4. Fear/Gibson

Just pencil Gilles/Poirier and Hawayek/Baker in already, as has been the case since the assignments were handed out. The only real drama is whether Carreira & Ponomarenko can manage to steal the second alternate spot if they really blow the doors off the place.
I don't think there's any way CarPon can catch GreenP's total combined score and snatch the second alternate spot from them, however I do think they're a very strong contender for bronze at Espoo and that would give them the third alternate spot, which isn't too shabby for a team coming back after a so-so season.

Last edited:

On My Own

I think there's a very low chance Shun isn't making it, Adam really needed a 4th here. I don't think Kevin will suddenly perform well after withdrawing from his other GP 😅

Karen-W

Well for one I didn't know Warsaw cup was happening :lol: And that Kevin was in it.
Yeahhhh...

Honestly, I think that there's a very strong possibility Shun gets knocked out of the GPF. Too many of these guys are capable of skating far better than they have so far this fall (Keegan, Morisi, Kevin, Camden) and all it will take is one of them finishing 2nd ahead of Shun to knock him out of the GPF.

On My Own

Yeahhhh...

Honestly, I think that there's a very strong possibility Shun gets knocked out of the GPF. Too many of these guys are capable of skating far better than they have so far this fall (Keegan, Morisi, Kevin, Camden) and all it will take is one of them finishing 2nd ahead of Shun to knock him out of the GPF.
I don't really mind Kevin beating him, I take offense to Morisi. :p I don't really have a card to play between Shun and Adam tbh. I guess since there are already 3 Japanese men, I'd rather see Adam.

Karen-W

LOL - yeah, Kevin has all the potential in the world to play spoiler next week in Espoo - just won Warsaw Cup with a score that is higher than both Shun and Keegan's SBs...

RoseRed

Well, GPdF wasn't all that great overall, and the FS at Warsaw Cup earlier today wasn't stellar, but GhiAmbr are still managing to score 10-20 points higher than MetPark's SB. I have a feeling that Italy's going to join the US with two teams in the GPF. ;) Alternates are likely to be Les Kovs, MetPark, and Caldara/Maglio.
That 3rd alternate should be McIntosh/Mimar, not Caldara/Maglio. Or potentially 2nd alt, with M/P as 3rd depending on how Finland goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information