U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Hannah Miller's IG post today: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwnb48HAHtr/
Reminder to all athletes: You are so much more than your sport. You posses diligence, kindness, passion, and so much more. These qualities are what make you YOU. Do not forget this. You are important, you are loved, and you are an awesome human because of all you are outside of your sport. Love yourself for that.
I’m starting to love who I am outside of skating and it is refreshing. Although it has been tough to take a break from the sport it has been important in reminding me of who I am. I am much more than ‘the skater’ and I am coming to terms with this more and more daily.
:respec:

Sylvia

TBD
Has Hannah said if she is skating next season? I always enjoy her music selections, choreography and costumes.
Hannah Miller hasn't said anything about her skating future yet. AFAIK, she's enjoying her life at Michigan State University and likely will post something in her website's blog if she has any notable news to share.

ETA:
I really liked her. Wish she had had a different trajectory.
Not everyone can medal at Nationals in senior (she has competed in SEVEN consecutive Nationals at the senior level since 2013) and/or go to Worlds/Olys, etc. Hannah has medaled on the JGP and won silver at her one JGP Final (Dec. 2012), won 2 ISU Challenger medals, and experienced the Senior Grand Prix. Not too shabby, all things considered.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Hannah Miller hasn't said anything about her skating future yet. AFAIK, she's enjoying her life at Michigan State University and likely will post something in her website's blog if she has any notable news to share.

ETA:

Not everyone can medal at Nationals in senior (she has competed in SEVEN consecutive Nationals at the senior level since 2013) and/or go to Worlds/Olys, etc. Hannah has medaled on the JGP and won silver at her one JGP Final (Dec. 2012), won 2 ISU Challenger medals, and experienced the Senior Grand Prix. Not too shabby, all things considered.
You are correct, of course. But I am still waiting for her to have her big breakthrough year!:saint:

Sylvia

TBD
Karen Chen is one of the Team USA skaters helping out at USFS' Athlete Acceleration Summit (used to be called Program Components Camp) in Irvine, CA this weekend.

If I see anything interesting on social media (eta: Hawayek & Baker have taken over USFS' IG account for stories and so far I've spotted Julia Biechler, Milly Murdock, and I believe Livvy Shilling also is there), I'll post here or in the U.S. Men's thread.

ETA:

Mariah Bell has made her appearance at Great Park Ice today (Saturday) for the Summit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwxiDADn62V/

Last edited:

Willin

Wow, that's sad. Is it the rink?
Im not sure. I think it could be funds.
I've never seen anything definitive on this, but I've heard that she's from a lower-middle class household and her skating fund relies a lot on donations/sponsorships/federation funding along with family sacrifice. With how expensive coaching/ice time/living in LA is I would assume it's hard to get enough money to fund a senior skater. Maybe it would be better for her to move somewhere where training's cheaper (like Canada), but her whole family's here so idk if she'd do it.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I've never seen anything definitive on this, but I've heard that she's from a lower-middle class household and her skating fund relies a lot on donations/sponsorships/federation funding along with family sacrifice. With how expensive coaching/ice time/living in LA is I would assume it's hard to get enough money to fund a senior skater. Maybe it would be better for her to move somewhere where training's cheaper (like Canada), but her whole family's here so idk if she'd do it.
I suspect it is way expensive anywhere.

And, unless they are going to send her away, it means re-locating an entire family and the Father's business.
I am sure that doesn't pencil out.

Sylvia

TBD
It looks like Angelina Huang (2017 U.S. Novice champion, 10th at 2017 JGP Austria, 7th in Junior at 2018 Nationals and 6th in Junior at UGL Regionals in October 2018) intends to compete for Taiwan (TPE/Chinese Taipei) at the senior level in 2019-20. More info here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...pei-nationals-july-27-28.104165/#post-5580138
(I've cross-posted this news and link in the "... OAS skater updates" thread in GSD.)

Sylvia

TBD
Here's Karen Chen visiting the beautiful Cornell U. campus in Ithaca, NY: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwsdy2-nhGq/
Olympian, National Champion, and Soon a Pre-Med Student: Figure Skater Karen Chen Looks Forward to Life at Cornell: https://cornellsun.com/2019/04/29/o...-karen-chen-looks-forward-to-life-at-cornell/
Excerpts:
Originally from California, Chen moved to Colorado in August of 2018 to train with her coach, Tammy Gambill. On Thursday, she visited Cornell for the first time to see the campus and attend events at the College of Human Ecology, where she’ll be majoring in Human Biology, Health, and Society.
Cornell was among her top college choices, Chen said in an interview with The Sun at the Cornell Athletic Hall of Fame — after she tried the ice of Lynah Rink. She has paid her enrollment deposit, added “Cornell ’23” to her Instagram bio, and has even followed The Cornell Daily Sun and Cornell Sports on social media.
“The campus is beautiful, [but I’m] not sure how I’m going to be able to deal with the weather in the winter,” Chen told The Sun. “I know that’s going to be challenging for me since I’m from Cali and it’s all sunny there, all the time, all year round.”
At Cornell, Chen is unlikely to have the same access to the ice rink. Gambill anticipates more off-ice workouts to compensate for less ice time. Even so, the coach isn’t worried about this shift. Chen tends to overtrain, she said, so this shift might prevent the skater from doing just that.
“I think it will come to a point where if she’s overwhelmed, I’ll know pretty quick and maybe I’ll cut back on a little training time or give her a break during some of her more stressful study times,” Gambill said.
Nevertheless, Chen is excited to go to college and “try something new”. She doesn’t plan to give up either her education or skating. If balancing school and training becomes an issue, Chen is determined to be flexible and work things out.
“We’ll see,” she said.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Oh man. I wish her well.....but I see a train wreck coming.

I seem to recall that everyone saw a train wreck coming with another skater named Chen about this time last year. That train seems to be on track as of today so perhaps we should not pass judgement. Maybe this is going to be just what she needs. (She probably won't have time to change her free every other week this way for example)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don't think Cornell is a great place for a perfectionist, it's rather isolated. And the description in that article makes it seem like a snap decision.

But hopefully it will turn out great for Karen. I miss her pizzazz and would love to see her back, but only if it's best for her.

CaliSteve

I don't think Cornell is a great place for a perfectionist, it's rather isolated. And the description in that article makes it seem like a snap decision.

But hopefully it will turn out great for Karen. I miss her pizzazz and would love to see her back, but only if it's best for her.

I have some friends who would be considered perfectionist and did well at Cornell, but if it was a snap decision then it doesnt matter what school she attends. I hope it all works out and she thrives.

CaliSteve

I seem to recall that everyone saw a train wreck coming with another skater named Chen about this time last year. That train seems to be on track as of today so perhaps we should not pass judgement. Maybe this is going to be just what she needs. (She probably won't have time to change her free every other week this way for example)

I get your point but Karen is not Nathan.

VGThuy

I'm wishing Karen the best. I get people have their doubts, but honestly, the most probable bad case scenario isn't really that bad. It's not as if we hadn't seen Karen having bad seasons/comps already, so not much will change there. Either she won't be able to compete at this level, she'll make it to Nationals and struggle, or she'll actually skate well enough to get international assignments and it'll be a crap shoot as to how she does. The last option is not much different from what we already have.

nathanfan

I also know some perfectionists who did well at Cornell.

I don’t know if her situation is that comparable with Nathan’s though. Cornell could have different policies than Yale, and unlike her situation, he had been competing the season prior. Probably Nathan also has more resources/support.

Sylvia

TBD
I get your point but Karen is not Nathan.
And Karen likely has different goals than Nathan at this point.
I'm wishing Karen the best. I get people have their doubts, but honestly, the most probable bad case scenario isn't really that bad. It's not as if we hadn't seen Karen having bad seasons/comps already, so not much will change there. Either she won't be able to compete at this level, she'll make it to Nationals and struggle, or she'll actually skate well enough to get international assignments and it'll be a crap shoot as to how she does. The last option is not much different from what we already have.
Yup. I'm glad Karen has decided on college and wish her all the best whether or not she continues to compete.

ETA:

Turns out this wasn't a April Fool's Day joke ;) (@Pretty Vegas' 4/1 post in this thread):
Karen Chen posted on her Instagram bio that she’s going to Cornell. (Similar to how Nathan did in his bio last year with Yale.) Congrats Karen! :)

Last edited:

nathanfan

Karen had already put Cornell ‘23 in her instagram bio prior to visiting the school. According to the article, she just visited for the first time.

Sure their goals may differ, but from the article, she is eyeing Beijing 2022. Both of them want to make the next Olympic team.

Last edited:

VGThuy

All the people I know who graduated from Cornell seem to have really loved their experience there, especially reminiscing about all the blizzards and snow storm and taking the underground tunnels to class.

skatfan

I wish Karen the best. Hopefully she can get a good summer of training in before heading to Cornell, and then she'll figure out what works. It may or may not pan out to do both at the same time for her, but why not try at this point? It's three years out to the Olympics, and if she wants to go to college, this is a good year to do it and see how she can put things together.

As a Californian, I'm more concerned with how she'll deal with nasty winters!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information