Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgh_11

Happy to see any interview with Charlie and Lubov. They handled themselves well and there were a lot of positive comments about their new partnership. They both seem reenergized and so very appreciative of this opportunity to continue their career. Excited to see what the future holds for them.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Well, you didn't get to see much of Luba. Personally, I found it distracting. Plus, it's already annoying seeing them give DL this first face-to-face interview. Do an interview with Jackie Wong instead, or Ted Flett, and/or Ted Barton.

Dave didn't cut off half of her face. :duh: Charlie & Luba are clearly using a phone to either facetime or skype with him, and so the screen is small and the view is limited. You can see that they are sharing one set of ear buds as well.

Then don't do the interview that way. Fix it! This would only work well for the audience if this was just an audio podcast. Why have a visual podcast of two guests when only one can be fully seen? Charlie did seem to be trying to fiddle and get Luba more into the shot. I think Charlie should have given Luba more face time at least at some point during the brief interview. Charlie has a handsome mug, but stop hogging the visuals, please! :p ;) Why couldn't Luba have used a separate phone to get into an individual shot of her own?

Otherwise I agree with @barbarafan that Luba and Charlie handlied snarky DL's prying questions well.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I'm only suggesting that the interview shouldn't have been done that way. I know that some fans don't appear to care as long as they heard from Luba & Charlie. Obviously, DL wanted to get the scoop first. That's mainly what he cares about. That and trying to weasel something snark-related out of his guests -- but he didn't quite succeed with Luba & Charlie.

Very often one partner in a pair or dance team is more competitive than the other. The less competitive - not 'non-competitive' partner - may be concerned about things other than winning (i.e. choreography, finesse of position). Or just might not be as competitively driven. In the case of Meagan and Eric, I think Meagan may been been the more competitive. And that his relative calm and balance balanced her fire. As you say, her spirit was often uplifting to him...

Maybe you should not try to speak for Eric about how competitive he was or was not during his skating career. If it's your impression that Eric Radford was the 'less competitive' partner between him and Meagan, I don't see how or why. It's certainly not my impression.

Eric and Meagan have very different personalities for sure, and they approached competition and training differently, (based on how they have described their careers in interviews). But I do not think Eric is any less competitive than Meagan. The best way of finding out is to hear the answer from both of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZpsrkNCg_Y Meagan: "We're soulmates..."
Eric: "It was never easy for us. We just refused to stop clawing, and now we're the ones who ... have been able to reap all that success..."

skatingguy

decently
Then don't do the interview that way. Fix it! This would only work well for the audience if this was just an audio podcast. Why have a visual podcast of two guests when only one can be fully seen? Charlie did seem to be trying to fiddle and get Luba more into the shot. I think Charlie should have given Luba more face time at least at some point during the brief interview. Charlie has a handsome mug, but stop hogging the visuals, please! :p ;) Why couldn't Luba have used a separate phone to get into an individual shot of her own?

Otherwise I agree with @barbarafan that Luba and Charlie handlied snarky DL's prying questions well.
^^ I'm only suggesting that the interview shouldn't have been done that way. I know that some fans don't appear to care as long as they heard from Luba & Charlie. Obviously, DL wanted to get the scoop first. That's mainly what he cares about. That and trying to weasel something snark-related out of his guests -- but he didn't quite succeed with Luba & Charlie.
It's podcast for crying out loud, not Nightline or Meet the Press.

Mad for Skating

The thing I liked most about I&B's TSL interview was Luba saying that she learned with Cirque to not be so emotionally invested in performing perfectly every time because of 5 programs/appearances in every performance, 2 shows a day, for months on end. It sounded like she learned to relax about it all more and that she hopes to carry that into the competitive arena. Of course I'm thinking about her jumps! If she's more relaxed she'll probably land those suckers! :cheer:

Agree! She seems to be truly enjoying skating; I think we can hope for the best about the jumps. She’s a fighter!

barbarafan

^^ Well, you didn't get to see much of Luba. Personally, I found it distracting. Plus, it's already annoying seeing them give DL this first face-to-face interview. Do an interview with Jackie Wong instead, or Ted Flett, and/or Ted Barton.

I think time was of the essence for them...They did a show about 5hrs from mtl. Lubov got on a plane to Calgary where she spent the day at some kind of sports testing for Skate Canada then hopped a plane back to MTL where she and Charlie got on a plane to Goosebay Labrador for a tour and show. They might even have done the TSL thing at the airport before they left.
In all fairness to your remarks Charlie is a publicity hog and loves the spotlight but seeing as Lubov is quieter and happier working constantly and always perfecting her skills she might get buried and with only 3 yrs to Olympics they can't afford to do that. They have had a few face to face with Quebec media (Charlie has lots of those contacts) and a good English one with our @levineismine and now those 13 mins with TSL might lead to Jackie Wong and/or Ted Flatt contacting them with a request for an interview. They only came out April 1st I believe so not too shabby. Expect a lengthy interview with Kirsten and Michael upon their return from WTT with a new theme to get back into the front page....about their skate and maybe how she broke a fingernail the day they were leaving petting dogs and how much terrible pressure there is being Canada #1. etc etc. We shall see............

Vase

I would definitely say their twist is the biggest stumbling block for them. When you have Tarasova/Morozov blowing the roof off with their twist and getting +5’s, you have no chance if your twist is subpar. TBH, I’m surprised their twist still usually gets positive GOE; it’s aesthetically jarring to me. Other than that they are awesome.

Same here! She has that “pair girl spark” - that diva power that draws you in. I enjoy watching her.
She has the spark and flair

aftershocks

Banned Member
Expect a lengthy interview with Kirsten and Michael upon their return from WTT with a new theme

Well, hopefully it'll be a video interview where we get to see both of their faces. Equal time! ;)

It's podcast for crying out loud, not Nightline or Meet the Press.

Uh, obviously TSL is not a professional news broadcast. :rolleyes: DL has a huge ego, but apparently he has no goals to ever reach any heights of professionalism. Nary even a thought in that direction, for sure. :p

Sometimes a bit cringy but it’s not meant to be serious!

Seriously? :duh: Aside from the snarky wink-winking and random navel-gazing chit-chat (which is mostly entertaining to DL & his cohort), do you think none of his questions and know-it-all critiques are serious? I think DL is seriously passionate about figure skating, but often tripped up by all of his more misguided approaches to coverage, commentary and nonexistent editing.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I thought 'flair and spark' referred to Luba, who has more of that than KTM, IMO.

There's no need to compare. But since you brought it up, my humble opinion is that KMT has a bit more spark, while Luba seems to have more style and grace. Luba's flair is in her creativity and bendability. KMT's flair is in her energy and gumption. But these ladies are both great pairs divas. :)

barbarafan

There's no need to compare. But since you brought it up, my humble opinion is that KMT has a bit more spark, while Luba seems to have more style and grace. Luba's flair is in her creativity and bendability. KMT's flair is in her energy and gumption. But these ladies are both great pairs divas. :)
Luba does what the music and story ask for. In I/M's short program tango she was full of drama and fire and several other moods during her programs with her Russian partner. However she certainly doesn't have an OTT wink in her wheelhouse(Thank God), although it is good for a point in PCS...at least the first time. Kirsten has a great sense of comic timing and PZZAAAAZZZ in an upbeat program with tons of personality and Michael is really starting to perform as well. Skate Canada pushes them in another direction which IMHO they don't suit as well but we will see what both teams come up with this year.

Last edited:

barbarafan

^^ I agree with your assessment. You can remove one of the repeat quotes referencing my post. Thanks.
Sorry......I am jumping up and down...fetching and serving at this time..I shall try this edit function and see if I can make it work. If I mess up sorry again...only know main essentials.

Rock2

Tsl also does these interviews on their own time as well! I kinda find them funny. Sometimes a bit cringy but it’s not meant to be serious!

To me a lot of the cringy comes from him being all hyper in interviews. He talks fast and sometimes in circles and when you have interview subjects whose first language is not English they sometimes struggle to follow. Same deal when he was interviewing people like Aljona IIRC. You can see in their eyes they are just trying to understand the guy....

Also, Dave has a tendency to not ask clear questions. He can sometimes just talk and sort of trail off and the interview subject has to sort of guess what he's asking. He'll also do this on the more controversial questions where he sort of talks around the issues looking for the words to ask what he wants to ask.

He has gotten better in these areas but still a long way to go. But as others have stated it's a vlog, not Nightline so I cut him some slack.

Japanfan

Maybe you should not try to speak for Eric about how competitive he was or was not during his skating career. If it's your impression that Eric Radford was the 'less competitive' partner between him and Meagan, I don't see how or why. It's certainly not my impression.

And people share their opinions and impressions on this forum all the time. You will notice I said "I think" and Megan "may". So I was certainly not presenting my impression as a fact or speaking for Eric in any way.

There's no need to compare.

Anything you'd like to advise me on?

barbarafan

And people share their opinions and impressions on this forum all the time. You will notice I said "I think" and Megan "may". So I was certainly not presenting my impression as a fact or speaking for Eric in any way.

Anything you'd like to advise me on?
Yes...just..that Eric proved his competitiveness many times...but what comes to mind is Worlds 2017 when one of his legs(maybe hip) went out on him -too late to replace and 3 spots for Olympics on the line. Every second off the ice was spent icing and treating injury and he competed knowing it could give out any second and in extreme pain. It held out enough to finish the long and although their 7th place was far less than normal it was just enough with I/M's 6th place to get the three sports and for sure it was a bigger accomplishment than any gold they had won. Some hearts always seem to be pulsing and pumping all over the place and some are quietly going above and beyond.Different ways of getting to the same place.

cheremary

mag

Meagan didn't win seven Canadian National championships, two World championships, a team Olympic gold medal, an Olympic bronze medal in pairs, a GPF championship, two Four Continents championships, three NHK gold medals, four Skate Canada gold medals, and a host of other gold, silver and bronze medals, all by herself as a pairs figure skater!

And an Olympic Silver Medal in 2014!
And I completely, agree. It was complete team work that earned them their success.

Mad for Skating

I was responding to 'Mad For Skating's comment on T/M.

I thought 'flair and spark' referred to Luba, who has more of that than KTM, IMO.

I was referring to Kirsten.

IIRC she did the same on the last lift in Pyeongchang.

I need to rewatch! I was crying when I watched it for the first time so I don’t remember lol.

Yes...just..that Eric proved his competitiveness many times...but what comes to mind is Worlds 2017 when one of his legs(maybe hip) went out on him -too late to replace and 3 spots for Olympics on the line. Every second off the ice was spent icing and treating injury and he competed knowing it could give out any second and in extreme pain. It held out enough to finish the long and although their 7th place was far less than normal it was just enough with I/M's 6th place to get the three sports and for sure it was a bigger accomplishment than any gold they had won. Some hearts always seem to be pulsing and pumping all over the place and some are quietly going above and beyond.Different ways of getting to the same place.

Completely! I think people really forget what a trooper he was at 2017 worlds. Not to mention, that field was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information