Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

Cizeron’s first stab at pairs choreo for James/Cipres was pretty good, other than that cool-but-too-difficult throw entrance that they eventually ditched.

Mad for Skating

Today was Lubov and Charlie's media day at the arena where they train, here are some photos:
Tweet
another one
We'll be posting an interview with them and also with Richard Gauthier soon.
They look great together!

Thank you so much for this! I will be waiting for that interview!

Best part of that article is finding out that Lubov and Charlie are going to spend one day a week working with Marie-France and Guillaume Cizeron.

Is it August yet?!?!?

GUILLAUME? 😍 okay, I think I’m going to like this a lot.

Rock2

Charlie+Lubov+MF+Guillaume?
I just had a very private episode happen to me whilst reading this. I'll leave it at that.

I assume MF is there to ensure it's legit choreo. Guillaume I think will come up with some very creative shapes and moments for these two. (Oh God, I just had another 'private episode'....time to go watch CNN or something)

Rock2

If Natasha and Cody were forming a pair, SC would have announced it on the same day they did.....so....no.

I'm sure she's just trying to keep up her pairs skills to be ready for the first decent (although unsuspecting) dude to come available.

Mad for Skating

I just had a very private episode happen to me whilst reading this. I'll leave it at that.

I assume MF is there to ensure it's legit choreo. Guillaume I think will come up with some very creative shapes and moments for these two. (Oh God, I just had another 'private episode'....time to go watch CNN or something)

Trust me, every time I think of Guillaume, I have a private episode. You’re not alone.

barbarafan

as long as they have read alllllllllllll the fine print in pairs docs...I just hope they have moments (like Sam makes).

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Those articles look to be exactly the same...

They do a cool pairs double cantilever.

Charlie was having a bit of trouble leaning back and getting that double cantilever fully synchronized. But with practice, they'll surely get it mastered. It's good that Charlie recognizes the need to improve his lines.

As I mentioned in the L&C new partnership thread, I hope these two will find something outside-the-box for music and choreo, which I'm not sure they'll get from J.Marcotte, but we'll see. The point is that I hope they are motivated for something beyond a 3-year business venture to make the Olympics. I hope they don't settle for something too safe and conservative. I hope they both stretch themselves creatively -- that's the time when something unexpected and exciting becomes possible.

Oh, I see in the English translation of this article, it states that Luba & Charlie will be working with M-F Dubreuil and Patch Lauzon on choreography. That's cool. :cool: I anticipate seeing how they will look together in several more months, perhaps at a late summer competition to get their feet wet as a team.

Revealing quote:
"... Lubov also thinks that her experience with Cirque du Soleil will help her: 'With the circus, we performed practically every day and I learned a lot about how to always perform well, whatever the conditions. And now I have enough experience to know that it is not necessary to achieve a perfect performance to get a good result ...'"

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's not in that specific article, but that's how Richard said it in our interview. Exact quote will be out soon.
I'm looking forward to this collaboration!

Okay, please do clarify. One article has Gauthier stating that Luba & Charlie will be working every week with M-F Dibreuil and G Cizeron in their dance camp. That sounds like getting some dance moves and workouts into their training regimen (which btw famously proved to work wonders for pairs teams, including Aliona & Bruno, and James/Cipres).

Another article states that Dubreuil and Lauzon will be choreographing for L&C. Since I don't think Lauzon is too involved in choreo, perhaps they meant Dubreuil and Sam Chouinard will be doing the choreo. Let's keep in mind that Cizeron is still competing and so most of his time will be taken up with his own preparation for next season. When Cizeron choreographed for J/C, it was because he wished to do it for them as a friend. I think Cizeron did a good job with J/C's sp, especially for a first time choreographer. J/C were impressed by Cizeron's preparation and confidence in knowing exactly what he wanted. Plus he designed J/C's sp costumes too.

I recall Gauthier stating in his interview with @clairecloutier that J/C's sp was okay, but not a standout. ;) I thought it was better than okay, but of course, not perfect. Everyone agrees that J/C's fp by Charlie White is excellent and a cut above.

That said, can we please confirm whether Cizeron is actually going to be working on choreo for L&C with Dubreuil? Or is it more likely Dubreuil and Sam Chouinard, whom we saw in the promo film working with Charlie on boxing moves? And then perhaps Dubreuil and Cizeron simply assisting L&C every week with dance training moves? Or might all three of Dubreuil, Cizeron and Chouinard have choreo input?

Sylvia

TBD
Can someone close to them confirm or deny whether this is an April Fools Day joke?
Purich posted an IG story that confirmed it was an April Fools' Day joke and mentioned at the end that she has "pretty exciting news to come."
That said, can we please confirm whether Cizeron is actually going to be working on choreo for L&C with Dubreuil?
It's confirmed in the English [FSO] article link and excerpt I've posted in the new thread consolidating all the news from Lubov/Charlie's media day: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ov-ilyushechkina-and-charlie-bilodeau.105492/

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

Okay, please do clarify. One article has Gauthier stating that Luba & Charlie will be working every week with M-F Dibreuil and G Cizeron in their dance camp. That sounds like getting some dance moves and workouts into their training regimen (which btw famously proved to work wonders for pairs teams, including Aliona & Bruno, and James/Cipres).

Another article states that Dubreuil and Lauzon will be choreographing for L&C. Since I don't think Lauzon is too involved in choreo, perhaps they meant Dubreuil and Sam Chouinard will be doing the choreo. Let's keep in mind that Cizeron is still competing and so most of his time will be taken up with his own preparation for next season. When Cizeron choreographed for J/C, it was because he wished to do it for them as a friend. I think Cizeron did a good job with J/C's sp, especially for a first time choreographer. J/C were impressed by Cizeron's preparation and confidence in knowing exactly what he wanted. Plus he designed J/C's sp costumes too.

I recall Gauthier stating in his interview with @clairecloutier that J/C's sp was okay, but not a standout. ;) I thought it was better than okay, but of course, not perfect. Everyone agrees that J/C's fp by Charlie White is excellent and a cut above.

That said, can we please confirm whether Cizeron is actually going to be working on choreo for L&C with Dubreuil? Or is it more likely Dubreuil and Sam Chouinard, whom we saw in the promo film working with Charlie on boxing moves? And then perhaps Dubreuil and Cizeron simply assisting L&C every week with dance training moves? Or might all three of Dubreuil, Cizeron and Chouinard have choreo input?

Cizeron and Dubreuil for choreographers... You got the Lauzon quote coming from a general TV commentator reading a script... and they seem they cannot separate Dubreuil from Lauzon, lol! Lauzon might work with them on SS and unison too, who knows.

DaveRocks

Eh?
Glad to see from this one they are using Dubreuil and Lauzon for choreography and not Julie Marcotte. (Shae Zukiwsky would have been my first choice but I’m thinking his new position at Skate Canada probably means his choreography days are over :( )

Yeah, no choreography from Julie Marcotte since Lubov and Charlie are training exclusively with Richard.

And yep, no more choreography from Shae Z as long as he is in his new position. :(

RoseRed

Yeah, no choreography from Julie Marcotte since Lubov and Charlie are training exclusively with Richard.

And yep, no more choreography from Shae Z as long as he is in his new position. :(
No they aren't. In the FSO article, Richard says that the whole team working with them includes him, Sylvia, Bruno, Marlène Picard and Yvan Desjardins on jumps (I assume, since he refers to them as singles coaches in this context). Plus working with the ice dancers once a week.

barbarafan

coaches are Richard, Bruno with Sylvie Fullum to clean programs. single coaches are Yvan Desjardins and Marlene Picard.

blue_idealist

I'm actually very intrigued that Natasha Purich says she'll have something to announce soon. The Canadian pairs field is pretty bleak right now. Purich may have a reputation as being a bit.... difficult, but she's an excellent skater.

Erm... am I being too optimistic, hoping she gets back together with Mervin Tran?

Mad for Skating

Hey guys? Should we move the discussions about Luba and Charlie to their main thread? There’s a whole thread dedicated to them, don’t worry.

aftershocks

Banned Member

What is Shae Z's new position? I haven't heard, as it's not easy keeping up with all the happenings going on in figure skating. This sport really begs for some well-financed, well-researched, thoughtful and dedicated news coverage that brings together in one place everything worth knowing, instead of having to put together bits and pieces from Twitter, Facebook, message boards, Instagram accounts, random articles, Youtube interviews, gossip mill, the snarky ego-driven utterances of DL, etc.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
What is Shae Z's new position? I haven't heard, as it's not easy keeping up with all the happenings going on in figure skating. This sport really begs for some well-financed, well-researched, thoughtful and dedicated news coverage that brings together in one place everything worth knowing, instead of having to put together bits and pieces from Twitter, Facebook, message boards, Instagram accounts, random articles, Youtube interviews, gossip mill, the snarky ego-driven utterances of DL, etc.

That's exactly what FSU is! :p

aftershocks

Banned Member
That's exactly what FSU is! :p

:lol: But alilou, I'm talking about a news round-up show like we see on PBS Newshour or the World news that follows hosted by a British-speaking anchor. :D Figure skating news is global, and while FSU is better than nothing and there's a lot to be found here, it's all still a bit disparate and disconnected. And you won't find out everything if you don't click on all the right threads. ;)

And again I ask, what is Shae Z's new position? Maybe I should do an Internet search to find out. :p

Habs

A bitch from Canada
:lol: But alilou, I'm talking about a news round-up show like we see on PBS Newshour or the World news that follows hosted by a British-speaking anchor. :D Figure skating news is global, and while FSU is better than nothing and there's a lot to be found here, it's all still a bit disparate and disconnected. And you won't find out everything if you don't click on all the right threads. ;)

And again I ask, what is Shae Z's new position? Maybe I should do an Internet search to find out. :p

Senior director of performance excellence: https://skatecanada.ca/2019/02/skat...ky-as-senior-director-performance-excellence/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information