Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfan

I have been there a couple of times. Flin Flon is supposedly the only place named after a science fiction character. I shall attempt to spell his name but no guarantees it's even close to correct - Flintabaty Flonatin. My first visit was as a pre-teen so I was really taken with his giant statue.

I think that is the correct spelling, or close enough.

But the story we were told was that Flintabaty was a mining prospector - I never heard that he was a science fiction character. :confused:

I'll never forget that giant statue, that's for sure.

Last edited:

barbarafan

When is senior ladies?
About 12:20pm early Friday afternoon EST.
Schedule below
https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019-CTNSC-Schedule-Public-.pdf
live results below
https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019-CTNSC-Schedule-Public-.pdf
most likely anything that is not being televised for seniors will be livestreamed but if it is televised for sure we will not get the livestreaming.
If you have a vpn program you should be able to get it on TV
I got all links that I have from below

Rock2

I wonder who's going to JW in pairs. I would have assumed Andrew/Fletcher along with McIntosh/Toste. The latter finished highest among eligible pairs so I think they are in. What do we do now with that sad skate from A/F? Gutted by what happened.

In the poz side, LOVE the progress made by Zach Daleman and his partner. He totally looks like he's going to make it in pairs. Also did anyone watch and see them in the K&C sitting next to Bryce? Bryce looked like a freakin' dwarf next to Zach. The boy is B.I.G.

RoseRed

I wonder who's going to JW in pairs. I would have assumed Andrew/Fletcher along with McIntosh/Toste. The latter finished highest among eligible pairs so I think they are in. What do we do now with that sad skate from A/F? Gutted by what happened.

In the poz side, LOVE the progress made by Zach Daleman and his partner. He totally looks like he's going to make it in pairs. Also did anyone watch and see them in the K&C sitting next to Bryce? Bryce looked like a freakin' dwarf next to Zach. The boy is B.I.G.
A/F won't be sent. They'll go with Levesque/Hudon. They were always probably going to go by Nationals imo, since no one really separated themselves enough over the summer comps, JGP, sectionals and Challenge.

It's too bad, because I was hoping A/F would make it.

Sk8mom123

Felt so bad for A/F :( You are right Zach is BIG and I think he’s going to be great in pairs. Lots of good fight and progress shown by all the teams. I was really happy for Choinard/Ostiguy and I liked Panetta/Mimar too!! It was a pretty good event imo

Catherine M

I love Patricia Andrew but no way will they be sent to junior worlds after finishing dead last in the free skate here. Such a shame and it was hard to see her in tears in the K&C. So it will probably be Levesque & Hudon (who is my favorite of the jr guys) going with McIntosh & Toste.

And I liked Dylan's little comment after their skate to Choinard & Ostiguy that he too couldn't go to jr worlds due to age restrictions. Nice of him to give them encouragement as their season ends but the talent is there to move on up to seniors.

barbarafan

I think he is really great as a pair guy...like a rock....but she is really good as well. She can really jump and her lifts look very solid. For someone who is new to pairs I think that is impressive. She just seems a bit hesitant, always waiting for his lead. I am sure that will improve with a few more miles under her belt.

Sk8mom123

A/F won't be sent. They'll go with Levesque/Hudon. They were always probably going to go by Nationals imo, since no one really separated themselves enough over the summer comps, JGP, sectionals and Challenge.

It's too bad, because I was hoping A/F would make it.
I love Patricia Andrew but no way will they be sent to junior worlds after finishing dead last in the free skate here. Such a shame and it was hard to see her in tears in the K&C. So it will probably be Levesque & Hudon (who is my favorite of the jr guys) going with McIntosh & Toste.

And I liked Dylan's little comment after their skate to Choinard & Ostiguy that he too couldn't go to jr worlds due to age restrictions. Nice of him to give them encouragement as their season ends but the talent is there to move on up to seniors.
I liked that also. The age restrictions are tough for those that have “bad” birthdays :) I think it will be Lévesque and Hudson also. They are a fun team to watch.

Sk8mom123

I think he is really great as a pair guy...like a rock....but she is really good as well. She can really jump and her lifts look very solid. For someone who is new to pairs I think that is impressive. She just seems a bit hesitant, always waiting for his lead. I am sure that will improve with a few more miles under her belt.
Good point..she is doing really well for a new discipline.

Rock2

B/B were at practice today. He is a REALLY big guy. Made Roman Sadovsky look short (No, Roman is not switching to pairs, LOL, he was just in the area when the pair teams were getting on the ice).

I was told he's a tank of Massot proportions by that camp. She's not short by any stretch but looks short next to him. Any sign of them dealing with injury at practice? I want them to get some experience in while competing relatively healthy.

Vase

That was a tough one to watch, A/F. It will strengthen her or crush her, she’s young. It looked as though she gave it her all but already knew. But I suspect they’ll find her someone.
Happy that M/T had a great skate, they deserve the Worlds experience.
Looking forward to the senior pair event.

Rafter

Re Andrews/Fletcher, she looks taller to me even from the JGP. So there could be some adjustments being made. That said, she needs a better partner.

I thought Chloe Choinard looked vastly improved. She landed one or two triple jumps and is just 16. She’d look good with Zach Daleman.

Last edited:

Sk8mom123

Re Andrews/Fletcher, she looks taller me even from the JGP. So there could be some adjustments being made. That said, she needs a better partner.

I thought Chloe Choinard looked vastly improved. She landed one or two triple jumps and is just 16. She’d look good with Zach Daleman.
I had the same thought about Choinard and Daleman...will be interesting to see what happens next for her. She still has 3 yr JGP eligibility.

Sk8mom123

That was a tough one to watch, A/F. It will strengthen her or crush her, she’s young. It looked as though she gave it her all but already knew. But I suspect they’ll find her someone.
Happy that M/T had a great skate, they deserve the Worlds experience.
Looking forward to the senior pair event.
I think the senior event will be exciting. It’s kind of anyone’s game except MT/M

Catherine M

I had the same thought about Choinard and Daleman...will be interesting to see what happens next for her. She still has 3 yr JGP eligibility.

I don't think the JGP is all that important to a skater at Choinard's level now as she's ready for seniors. Skaters like Moscovitch, Radford and Duhamel didn't do the JGP at all (Meagan might have done one season with Ryan Arnold) and it worked out fine for them.

And I'll be here in my little corner of those that aren't that all impressed with Zach Daleman:shuffle:

Rock2

And I'll be here in my little corner of those that aren't that all impressed with Zach Daleman:shuffle:

No reason to be super impressed as he is right now, but relative to what he looked like last year in his first year trying the discipline is a different story. Back then it looked like he was on a 3 year plan to perhaps become decent one day if ever. He's MUCH further along the curve this year to the point where you can predict he's going to make it.

Plus he's big and strong. Worth something. I'm growing weary of hoping beyond hope for the talented 5 ft 10 pair boys in Canada.

Rock2

Practice reports suggest B/B winning the practices, R/W twist really improving and M/F skating every well with 2 consistent triples. Game on!

Also I'm told the 4CC team is set as only 3 are qualified. However, if a random team like B/B finishes top 2 there is room for a Senior B to qualify and be named to the world team.

Vase

I don't think the JGP is all that important to a skater at Choinard's level now as she's ready for seniors. Skaters like Moscovitch, Radford and Duhamel didn't do the JGP at all (Meagan might have done one season with Ryan Arnold) and it worked out fine for them.

I am impressed by Daleman, and hope she gets her 2A. They’re doing well considering they are a new team
Ostiguy is another junior guy that has impressed me.
All these 13yr old pair girls will have a big growth in the next two years, but we cannot predict how much.
I’d like to see more performance from the junior pair girls.
Choinard has improved but I would hope so, considering she’s older then a few of the other junior pair girls and only one discipline.

DFO

I was expecting more comments about McIntosh/Toste! We are talking about a 14 years old girl and a 16 years old boy winning consecutively juvenile pairs, pre-novice pairs and novice pairs, moving up a category every year and finishing now second in both the short and the free in junior. They have a promising future. They are also both great in single. Good SBS. Good lifts. Good... well they are good at everything and also with consistency. I just wish they could improve in the artistic/emotion performance side.

Give them a year or two and they will be killers in ISU Jr Grand prix.

And if I had to pick which team will be the next to get an olympic medal for Canada in figure skating, that would be them. Maybe in 2022 or even 2026.

Colonel Green

I'm really impressed by Brooke and Brandon. With them it's really about hoping he keeps a solid height advantage over her going forward.

Reactions: DFO

barbarafan

I was expecting more comments about McIntosh/Toste! We are talking about a 14 years old girl and a 16 years old boy winning consecutively juvenile pairs, pre-novice pairs and novice pairs, moving up a category every year and finishing now second in both the short and the free in junior. They have a promising future. They are also both great in single. Good SBS. Good lifts. Good... well they are good at everything and also with consistency. I just wish they could improve in the artistic/emotion performance side.

And if I had to pick which team will be the next to get an olympic medal for Canada in figure skating, that would be them. Maybe in 2022 or even 2026.

I am sitting quiet here as I don't know if she is done growing. Was so sad to lose Jamie Knoblock and now Marine Pouliot. Marine P. performance quality and body lines were amazing.

Alvyne

I agree, they are very promising. Meagan commented that their elements have improved since the junior grand prix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information