Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
My only question is about her jumping skills. Has she skated singles previously, and if so what jumps does she have?
Z. Daleman's partner, Giuliana Corsini (Hamilton SC), placed 26th of 48 Novice Women at Skate Ontario Sectionals in early November. In the SP, her 2A was called < and her 3S <<; she was credited with a rotated 2A (-5 GOE from all the judges but not a fall) and 3Lz< (mostly -2 GOEs) and landed her other doubles through Lutz.

mackiecat

Z. Daleman's partner, Giuliana Corsini (Hamilton SC), placed 26th of 48 Novice Women at Skate Ontario Sectionals in early November. In the SP, her 2A was called < and her 3S <<; she was credited with a rotated 2A (-5 GOE from all the judges but not a fall) and 3Lz< (mostly -2 GOEs) and landed her other doubles through Lutz.
The 2A was probably a fall, Novice don’t get a fall deduction in Canada

Vase

Agreed, especially about the match - they already look as if they were meant to skate together. It was very surprising
to me that such a new team could match styles so successfully. They also both have very good power, which should make them an exciting team to watch once they have more experience.

My only question is about her jumping skills. Has she skated singles previously, and if so what jumps does she have?

He has become a very good lifter in a relatively short period of time. Impressive.

Corsini was listed as a Novice Ladies at Ontario Sectionals but didn’t qualify for challenge, looks like she was Novice last year too.
Looks like a 2lz is her biggest jump, though she tries 2A, 3S in her programs.
I think they look great together, and pretty good age match. They say she’s older then other Ontario pair girls McIntosh & Andrew.

barbarafan

Corsini was listed as a Novice Ladies at Ontario Sectionals but didn’t qualify for challenge, looks like she was Novice last year too.
I think they look great together, and pretty good age match. They say she’s older then other Ontario pair girls McIntosh & Andrew.

I liked them as well. I hope they are working hard on the jumps as everything else seems great. Zack always had beautiful lines and she is matching him and Bryce obviously knows his lines. I still can picture him skating to Blowers Daughter with Jessica Dube. It made me want to cry it was so beautiful. Do you know what rink they skate out of?

Sk8mom123

I liked them as well. I hope they are working hard on the jumps as everything else seems great. Zack always had beautiful lines and she is matching him and Bryce obviously knows his lines. I still can picture him skating to Blowers Daughter with Jessica Dube. It made me want to cry it was so beautiful. Do you know what rink they skate out of?
I liked them as well hopefully her jumps will come.

Sk8mom123

I was impressed by Zach Daleman and Giulianna Corsini, they are improving at each competition, they make the twist look easy , a triple will come with their great technique and height. So nice to see him getting more comfortable with pair, this partner is a much better match! Congrats to Bryce Davison on this new team!
Choinard and Ostiguy have definitely made some progress, I am concerned with her height and if they will be able to make the next step to senior, a triple twist does not look promising or more difficult lifts.
Patricia Andrew is promising and will need to find a new partner in the future, I too think her growth spurt may be coming.
McIntosh/Toste... not a great skate for them but so much time to come, very promising team!
Overall I have to say the Pair Completion was a bit disappointing. Everyone should be working their butts off for nationals, it could be a completely different competition... long programs today may interesting!
I agree I liked Daleman and his new partner. I wonder about Choinard/Ostiguy as well. She has grown and still has 3 more years JGP eligibility. I wonder if they’ll go senior or split. The young teams have lots of time. All in all a bit rough but lots of potential for these young juniors.

Vase

I heard they train with Bryce in Hamilton. But I agree, for the most part young junior teams, except Andrew/Fletcher-he’s older, the rest have a few years of junior to grow.
Any predictions for junior worlds?

DFO

Ostiguy is older than Fletcher so Choinard/Ostiguy are already out of elilgibility for ISU jr. I think Mackenzie Boys-Eddy and Gabriel Hudon got one more year.

The younger team are McIntosh/Toste, followed by Perreault/Pierro then Panetta/Mimar who all have many years to come in junior.

I don't have the birthdate of Zach Daleman.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't have the birthdate of Zach Daleman.
I found an online article dated June 24, 2014 in which his age is listed as 14, which makes him 18 now.

Canada's age-eligible pairs (4) with both minimum scores (23 / 34 this season; 23 / 35 last season):

Patricia ANDREW / Paxton FLETCHER CAN ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 25.30 / ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 43.59

Olivia BOYS-EDDY / Mackenzie BOYS-EDDY CAN ISU JGP Croatia Cup 2017 26.78 / ISU JGP Croatia Cup 2017 39.56

Gabrielle LEVESQUE / Pier-Alexandre HUDON CAN ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2017 23.25 / ISU JGP Baltic Cup 2017 38.18
ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2018 22.05 / ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2018 42.46

Brooke MCINTOSH / Brandon TOSTE CAN ISU JGP Czech Skate 2018 27.72 / ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 43.17

Do not have the SP minimum:

Chloe PANETTA / Benjamin MIMAR CAN ISU JGP Canada 2018 22.96 / ISU JGP Canada 2018 35.31

Camille PERREAULT / Bryan PIERRO CAN ISU JGP Canada 2018 20.88 / ISU JGP Canada 2018 34.70

ETA that Canada has 2 pairs spots for 2019 Junior Worlds. I've removed Choinard/Ostiguy (forgot he is 21).

Total scores of the JGP pairs:
133.41 Patricia ANDREW / Paxton FLETCHER CAN ISU JGP Bratislava 2018 24.08.2018
126.61 Gabrielle LEVESQUE / Pier-Alexandre HUDON CAN ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2018 01.09.2018
124.40 Brooke MCINTOSH / Brandon TOSTE CAN ISU JGP Czech Skate 2018 28.09.2018
112.12 Chloe PANETTA / Benjamin MIMAR CAN ISU JGP Canada 2018 15.09.2018
107.85 Camille PERREAULT / Bryan PIERRO CAN ISU JGP Canada 2018 15.09.2018

Last edited:

million$momma

Jan 29., 2015 Corsini was 10 according to this Skate Ontario article about her being featured in a TVOKids Sports Lab episode. In it she talks of her dream to be a pairs skater! She might be older than McIntosh and Andrew but not by very much. They are both turning 14 early in the new year.
http://skateontario.org/sportslab/

Catherine M

My guess of the jr world team is Andrew/Fletcher and Levesque/Hudon since (1) Choinard/Ostiguy aren't age eligible and (2) Panetta/Mimar don't have min scores.

barbarafan

I like Lubov, so I wish her well with this new opportunity to continue to skate for Canada. I hope they do a Cirque de Soleil themed program.

Are you sure this is really true? I cannot see it. Charlie does not seem very tolerant of anything less than perfection. Unless the performing night after night has finally fixed the problem of competing jumps????

mackiecat

My guess of the jr world team is Andrew/Fletcher and Levesque/Hudon since (1) Choinard/Ostiguy aren't age eligible and (2) Panetta/Mimar don't have min scores.
Macintosh/ Toste have a higher score. Not sure what happened this past weekend. Probably will look at National placements

starrynight

Are you sure this is really true? I cannot see it. Charlie does not seem very tolerant of anything less than perfection. Unless the performing night after night has finally fixed the problem of competing jumps????

Perhaps a 5 month or so search through the options of Canadian ladies has caused an re-adjustment of expectations?

I don't know much about Bilodeau personally, but is he really that much of a perfectionist? I had wondered after 2018 Worlds whether he and Seguin would split because that kiss n cry seemed icy cold. But pairs have split over less than what S/B were working through (recurring injuries, loss of momentum, a shock bad result).

RoseRed

Perhaps a 5 month or so search through the options of Canadian ladies has caused an re-adjustment of expectations?

I don't know much about Bilodeau personally, but is he really that much of a perfectionist? I had wondered after 2018 Worlds whether he and Seguin would split because that kiss n cry seemed icy cold. But pairs have split over less than what S/B were working through (recurring injuries, loss of momentum, a shock bad result).
Barbarafan is just really mad at him for the split with Julianne. We don't actually have a reason to believe he's a huge perfectionist, beyond the fact that he obviously wants top results and being a perfectionist/type A is quite common for athletes like this.

barbarafan

Barbarafan is just really mad at him for the split with Julianne. We don't actually have a reason to believe he's a huge perfectionist, beyond the fact that he obviously wants top results and being a perfectionist/type A is quite common for athletes like this.

Do not put words in my mouth. Lubov became my fav.pairs woman. She had a horrible partner & coaching experience in the past. As much as I would love for her to compete again she certainly does not need stress or problems from within her own team. If he leaves one partner as he feels he can do better does it make sense after months of searching for a partner that he skates with someone who has been criticized by skaters,coaches, fans this board as she often freezes on her sbs jumps. I would be very surprised if this is true. Unless of course the constant performing night after night has dulled whatever happens when she competes. Then sky is the limit.

dramagrrl

Unless of course the constant performing night after night has dulled whatever happens when she competes. Then sky is the limit.
Considering that I doubt she has been doing triple jumps on the Cirque tour (I'm guessing she probably doesn't do many if any jumps on the tour), I don't think that would really be a factor.

However, with his hints about the girl needing to move to Montreal and the Canadian pairs girls that are options outside of Quebec right now, Lubov does seem like the only realistic possibility. It would also make sense that perhaps this was what he had in mind when he broke up with Julianne and was just waiting until Lubov fulfilled her contract obligations with Cirque. I do agree with @barbarafan that he will find it rough going if the SBS jumps continue to be as much of a problem as they were in her last partnership. Also, if he is looking towards the future, Lubov isn't getting any younger. She will be 30 by 2022.

Last edited:

puglover

I love Lubov and enjoy so much of what she brings to pairs skating but I just think she would be nuts to give up skating and touring and earning money to go back to the competitive ranks. And really, for Charlie, I just can't see it being an easier road with her. If his goal is the next Olympics, how is he likely to do better, if she would even want to go that long. I saw Julianne and Charlie at Canadians and I thought their long program was great and skated very well. Not sure what happened between then and Worlds. It is intriguing to think about who he could possibly be pairing with as he has had generally very good results.

Colonel Green

I love Lubov and enjoy so much of what she brings to pairs skating but I just think she would be nuts to give up skating and touring and earning money to go back to the competitive ranks.
She never got to go to the Olympics. That's a powerful motivator, since that's what most competitive skaters work their careers towards, and she just barely missed the bus this year (and due to factors largely outside her control). That's plenty of incentive, hypothetically, to re-up for another three years.

flowerpower

A quote from the original (Nov 15) Radio-Canada article: "J’ai vraiment eu un pincement au cœur quand j’ai vu les compétitions, surtout qu’il y avait Patinage Canada à Laval. Ça m’a fait quelque chose, mais j’essaie de me réconforter en me disant que l’année prochaine, les Championnats du monde auront lieu ici, à Montréal, au Centre Bell. C’est pour y participer que je prépare mon retour." According to this, he hopes to participate in the upcoming Montreal Worlds. For that, he would need a "Worlds-ready" partner like Lubov. I hope it works out for them, if true. She did miss her Olympic chance with Dylan; maybe this is another opportunity.

ChiquitaBanana

I always find it rather amazing to have people stating stron opinion on a matter they half-know. Being the one left home, I ressent for Julianne. However, there might have been toher issues which were not spoken and congrats for the team not letting these things out. Sure it leaves a bad impression on Charlie but I might be desillusional in thinking that all people can see further than what is written/politically correct said. We're no Russia, folks, no crunchy stories.

Mad for Skating

This rumor is too much for my heart...my queen Lubov!!!

She never got to go to the Olympics. That's a powerful motivator, since that's what most competitive skaters work their careers towards, and she just barely missed the bus this year (and due to factors largely outside her control). That's plenty of incentive, hypothetically, to re-up for another three years.

Stolbova is taking that approach. I stan all pair ladies coming for revenge in 2022!

starrynight

puglover

Well, Charlie has gone to the Olympics so I question why he would want to put in another 3 years with limited chance of really doing significantly better but this is just my observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information