Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catherine M

So I watched most of novice and jr pair short programs last night from Challenge.

Overall, wasn't a great night of skating.

Only one clean team in jr pairs, Choinard/Ostiguy and they can't go to jr worlds. Patricia Andrew has the potential to be a star but not sure if she's done growing so won't get excited about her prospects till she's older.

And thanks skate Canada for doing a great job of archiving the comps.

Sk8mom123

So I watched most of novice and jr pair short programs last night from Challenge.

Overall, wasn't a great night of skating.

Only one clean team in jr pairs, Choinard/Ostiguy and they can't go to jr worlds. Patricia Andrew has the potential to be a star but not sure if she's done growing so won't get excited about her prospects till she's older.

And thanks skate Canada for doing a great job of archiving the comps.
Nice to see Choinard/Ostiguy Skate well and grow as a team. They did well at Sectionals too. Looking forward to watching the longs tonight. I really enjoy watching these teams grow.

IloveFS

As far as I know she's not really back on the ice in any capacity. Have to think this split did a number on her and she's carefully re-assessing her goals and passions.

If she doesn't repartner in the spring I wouldn't be sure she'd come back at all. Sure she could get to worlds in the current CAN ladies singles landscape but her only path to world medals is through pairs. I can't imagine coming 16th in the occasional worlds in singles would whet her appetite given where she's been.

If she does plan to come back I have to think Boudreau-Audet or Deschamps would snatch her up in a second. I know many don't give Deschamps a second look but I happen to think he's really talented. And body/line/personality wise they'd be a perfect match, at least in my head. My prediction is if she comes back it's with him.
No, I like Deschamps. On the world stage, the only Canadian woman that I think could eventually keep up with the Russian teenage sensations is a healthy Gabby Daleman. However, with that being said, I hope it doesn't become all about the quad jump in women's skating.

crazy2skate

Nice to see Choinard/Ostiguy Skate well and grow as a team. They did well at Sectionals too. Looking forward to watching the longs tonight. I really enjoy watching these teams grow.
I was impressed by Zach Daleman and Giulianna Corsini, they are improving at each competition, they make the twist look easy , a triple will come with their great technique and height. So nice to see him getting more comfortable with pair, this partner is a much better match! Congrats to Bryce Davison on this new team!
Choinard and Ostiguy have definitely made some progress, I am concerned with her height and if they will be able to make the next step to senior, a triple twist does not look promising or more difficult lifts.
Patricia Andrew is promising and will need to find a new partner in the future, I too think her growth spurt may be coming.
McIntosh/Toste... not a great skate for them but so much time to come, very promising team!
Overall I have to say the Pair Completion was a bit disappointing. Everyone should be working their butts off for nationals, it could be a completely different competition... long programs today may interesting!

honey

I want Gabby Daleman in pairs. She would be an amazing pair girl.

She did do pairs back in the day. I think maybe to the novice level. Don’t really see her going back to that, but I think she’d be a good elite pair girl too.

mag

I really like her too...She did pairs as well did she not.....maybe she got too tall for her partner? but Charlie is tall.

Charlie is listed at 180cm or 5’11”. Given that pairs guys usually inflate their height a bit, he really isn’t that tall. Hannah Dawson just landed 3T+3T and 3F in her short at Challenge. I would be shocked if she moved to pairs.

Rock2

I get that your insider's infos are not up to date... :shuffle::cold::sekret:

I know, right?? I hadn't checked in on her partnering updates in many months...just that I had heard recently she's not doing much on the ice. But yeah I mean if any guy can find a decent partner you can't wait around...jump on it!!

ChiquitaBanana

I know, right?? I hadn't checked in on her partnering updates in many months...just that I had heard recently she's not doing much on the ice. But yeah I mean if any guy can find a decent partner you can't wait around...jump on it!!

My reply didn't involve Séguin btw. But oh well, are we supposed to know everything? It's just that your insider infos on pairs precisely missed some latest developments it seems.

Rock2

Kirsten never had lift issues with Dylan.
Michael’s feet are often unsteady.
It’s him. Not her.
Not saying she is perfect every time, but I don’t think she has any “issues” per se.

Dylan is a better lifter than Michael, however...

On the twist, she can't open into a split and then pull in for three rotations. Also she rolls her twist, pulling into the rotation almost before her partner can let go of her, preventing full thrust to get height. This is why her twists continue to be small even with a beast of a partner like Dylan. Her issue.

The lifts with Dylan were mostly based on hip holds with variations in entrance and exit. From a balance point perspective this style of lifting isn't that challenging and even so they got fairly wild sometimes. Why do you think their lifts never really developed with more high scoring holds and variations of air position? Maybe a little bit was coaching. Certainly not because of Dylan. The limitations were mostly hers.

If Dylan and KMT tried the lifts done with Mike we wouldn't be having a conversation about how there were rarely any issues, because Dylan would come off looking mighty unsteady trying to compensate for her challenges locking a lift into position in various/difficult holds and positions.

million$momma

Charlie is listed at 180cm or 5’11”. Given that pairs guys usually inflate their height a bit, he really isn’t that tall. Hannah Dawson just landed 3T+3T and 3F in her short at Challenge. I would be shocked if she moved to pairs.
Hannah trains in Quebec though. Isn't his new partner moving from a different province?
Is she as tall as she looks? She looks even taller than Walsh.

geoskate

I was impressed by Zach Daleman and Giulianna Corsini, they are improving at each competition, they make the twist look easy , a triple will come with their great technique and height. So nice to see him getting more comfortable with pair, this partner is a much better match! Congrats to Bryce Davison on this new team!

Agreed, especially about the match - they already look as if they were meant to skate together. It was very surprising to me that such a new team could match styles so successfully. They also both have very good power, which should make them an exciting team to watch once they have more experience.

My only question is about her jumping skills. Has she skated singles previously, and if so what jumps does she have?

He has become a very good lifter in a relatively short period of time. Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information