Status
Not open for further replies.

e2theeyepie

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Did you read the article? Is it really that big a deal to use the word exempt instead?
Is it really necessary to police words that have moved beyond any original negative intent and into general usage? We aren't talking about the "N", "K" or "H" words here. If a poster doesn't want to use a specific word they can make that choice, but I err on the side of refraining from policing other people's words and language unless they are targeting/attacking a segment of the population. It's a fine line that is crossed and the line is always moving, until you reach a point where people are scared of saying ANYTHING for fear they might offend someone.

skatinggold

Is it really necessary to police words that have moved beyond any original negative intent and into general usage? We aren't talking about the "N", "K" or "H" words here. If a poster doesn't want to use a specific word they can make that choice, but I err on the side of refraining from policing other people's words and language unless they are targeting/attacking a segment of the population. It's a fine line that is crossed and the line is always moving, until you reach a point where people are scared of saying ANYTHING for fear they might offend someone.
They will say you are a Karen, oh wait you are a Karen. People are too sensitive these days.

Karen-W

They will say you are a Karen, oh wait you are a Karen. People are too sensitive these days.
LOL. Well, I am certainly a "Karen" in some regards, but my concern on this goes far beyond "I want to see your manager!" entitlement. It's a fundamental debate about the intersection of free speech/expression and healthy civil and political discourse. The word policing is terribly Orwellian.

acraven

I heard Alysa's interview. She gave the shortest possible answer to every question. I assumed she had gotten very little sleep and was exhausted. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about her plans based on what she said or didn't say in that interview.
She did mention that training quads caused her to be injured.

SkateFanBerlin

I don’t know Anna and Sasha don’t look like they are going to lose them.
Anna looks like something from a aid-for-Africa ad. At some point she's going to have to come to a near-normal weight. She'll be a completely different skater, though I doubt she'll be around more than a season.

aml78

I agree Karen shouldn’t go to Worlds. She said she’s injured and won’t be able to get the proper training in. If one of these three ladies doesn’t go I think Lindsey is up as first alternate, right?

skatingguy

decently
I agree Karen shouldn’t go to Worlds. She said she’s injured and won’t be able to get the proper training in. If one of these three ladies doesn’t go I think Lindsey is up as first alternate, right?
I wanna say Lindsey was first alternate for the Olympics, and Amber Glenn is first alternate for Worlds - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't know if it's posted elsewhere, but Gracie Gold has some things to say about the potential perils of Team USA chasing the quad jump, in light of the s**t show we all witnessed last night:
Yes, @clairecloutier posted the original link to The Cut article earlier: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...htness-of-beijing.108769/page-67#post-6210851

I've also posted the link in this relevant discussion thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...male-skaters-quads.109362/page-5#post-6210899

Gracie's IG post yesterday included the URL to her article (written with former NYT journalist Karen Crouse): https://www.instagram.com/p/CaIhx1VppQM/
"I wrote about why America should stop asking why we don’t win medals in women’s skating and what we should be focusing on instead—a topic I’ll be expanding on in my memoir for @crownpublishing with Karen Crouse."

Karen-W

Lindsay Thorngren has been added to the roster in senior ladies for Challenge Cup in the Netherlands next week. I'm glad that she's been given this opportunity whilst we wait and see if junior worlds will happen

I know she already has her senior mins but I have to wonder if there's going to be a change in our women's entries for Worlds (I know she's 2nd alt not 1st) and they're getting her out there to give her senior program another go before heading to France.

NAOTMAA

It's good the federation is giving Lindsay chances to get out there to show herself and build a reputation. It will be good experience for her

Vagabond

I'm taking thread title suggestions until tomorrow evening PST for the next thread title.

Possibilities thus far:
Skating Clean
Quixotic Queen's Gambit

toddlj

If I use a word and someone tells me it offends them, I just use a different word. It's not that hard. There are 170,000 words in the English language.
I don't get to choose what other people are offended by, and I prefer not to be offensive.

carriecmu0503

If I use a word and someone tells me it offends them, I just use a different word. It's not that hard. There are 170,000 words in the English language.
I don't get to choose what other people are offended by, and I prefer not to be offensive.
Great post! There are clearly a lot of people on this board who do not care if their words are hurtful to others. A lot of white privilege being shown here. I may be white, but that does not stop me from acknowledging the racial trauma people who are Black have endured, especially in the US. I would say the ones who are oversensitive are the ones who can’t accept that and think they should just be able to use whatever words they want, regardless of how much it hurts other people. Saying something that is offensive, and being told is it is offensive, and then saying the people who are hurt by it should just deal with it, are a “Karen, need to stop being so sensitive,” need to realize their behavior is hurtful yo others. Some will just never get it, and that is sad. Some will always think it is OK to bully other people, which is really sad.

Karen-W

Great post! There are clearly a lot of people on this board who do not care if their words are hurtful to others. A lot of white privilege being shown here. I may be white, but that does not stop me from acknowledging the racial trauma people who are Black have endured, especially in the US. I would say the ones who are oversensitive are the ones who can’t accept that and think they should just be able to use whatever words they want, regardless of how much it hurts other people. Saying something that is offensive, and being told is it is offensive, and then saying the people who are hurt by it should just deal with it, are a “Karen, need to stop being so sensitive,” need to realize their behavior is hurtful yo others. Some will just never get it, and that is sad. Some will always think it is OK to bully other people, which is really sad.
And some of us, clearly, aren't self-righteous fools who assuage their misplaced guilt by crusading as social justice word warriors from behind a keyboard.

skatfan

Can we please choose a term that is not so racist, please?

Huh, never knew the history behind the term. Thanks for the info. Exempt doesn’t quite explain the feature for me.

Sylvia

TBD
Regarding Karen, she said in her Today Show interview (I think it was that one, there have been quite a few different interviews with the US women) that next up for her was training for Worlds.
Yes, Karen did say that at the end of the group's 2/18/22 Today Show interview:
Team USA’s figure skating stars Alysa Liu, Mariah Bell and Karen Chen sit down with TODAY’s Craig Melvin to talk about the 2022 Winter Olympics. The athletes reflect on their performances on the ice and weigh in on the controversy surrounding Kamila Valieva’s doping scandal. “It sucks for all of us that were really hoping for that medal ceremony, but it’s completely out of our control,” Chen says.

An appeal was filed on behalf of the 9 USA team event skaters to be awarded their silver medals in Beijing, but CAS rejected it today :( - info is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...y-for-team-medals.109402/page-29#post-6214473

Jayar

I was part of the original PC crowd-- even wrote the policy for my college years ago as my senior thesus. As I have aged, I realize that there are issues that are black and white while others have grey tones with regards to using language that is hurtful. For example, the younger generation uses the word queer, which for me, is perhaps the worst thing minus the f word that you can call me. I see people pushing forward --hard-- on the zero tolerance of language usage, and that's not the way. There is a culture of calling out, and I believe that we need to instead call in. Help others understand the history of the word and why it is no longer acceptable. The OP here did just that but conflated the calling in with a calling out, which puts people on edge and makes them defensive. Is grandfathered an antiquated and racist term? Absolutely. But let's be better about trying to find ways to help each other learn.

Off my soapbox and sorry for the OT post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information