U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Pairs Scoretracker is updated after Skate Detroit: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-pairs-scores/

ETA:

JGP assignments are not yet posted/confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page but 2018 Novice champs Jade HOM / Franz-Peter JEROSCH currently are listed for the first JGP in Bratislava (eta: H/J looked like they deliberately left out the throw jumps from their programs in Detroit) and the 2 listed alternates are both returning teams:
Sarah FENG / TJ NYMAN (registered but did not compete at Skate Detroit)
Laiken LOCKLEY / Keenan PROCHNOW (skated a good SP at Detroit but a very rough FS)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

wickedwitch

Pairs Scoretracker is updated after Skate Detroit: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-pairs-scores/

ETA:

JGP assignments are not yet posted/confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page but 2018 Novice champs Jade HOM / Franz-Peter JEROSCH currently are listed for the first JGP in Bratislava (eta: H/J looked like they deliberately left out the throw jumps from their programs in Detroit) and the 2 listed alternates are both returning teams:
Sarah FENG / TJ NYMAN (registered but did not compete at Skate Detroit)
Laiken LOCKLEY / Keenan PROCHNOW (skated a good SP at Detroit but a very rough FS)
So they're using 1 of 3 spots?

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
So they're using 1 of 3 spots?

That was my first thought, too. But when I looked at Sylvia's tracker, it doesn't appear that there's many age-eligible junior teams in the U.S. this season. Of the pairs who've competed junior on her list, only 4-5 teams are age-eligible (not sure about Nagy of Finster/Nagy's age or citizenship/release status). The rest have a partner that's too old or too young or will never be age-eligible as a team (Mokhova/Mokhov).

Going back to the teams at last year's junior nationals, after splits, these are the only teams remaining with junior age-eligibility: Lockley/Prochnow and Feng/Nyman. It doesn't look like a bunch of the novices from last season have moved up; Hom/Jerosch (N1) and McClellan/Garbutt (N4) being the notable exceptions. Goldstein/Bearinger, who lead the summer novice scores domestically, skated up to do a junior SP at Skate Detroit. Perhaps they or fellow novices Burden/Pagano will be considered for a JGP; it's been a while since a team staying novice was sent, but with so few age-eligible teams, USFS might consider it.

ETA: right now only 3 junior age-eligible teams are in the ISP: Hom/Jerosch, Feng/Nyman, and Lockley/Prochnow.

Mad for Skating

Does anyone have a clip of Deardorff/Settlage's programs? They don't have to be high quality footage or anything.

Mad for Skating

aftershocks

Banned Member
Tarah, Danny and Jim Peterson in CO springs working with Delilah on their twist. Very interesting, i have my own high drama theory. But what does everyone else think of this?

https://instagram.com/p/BlyNBPFldun/?hl=en&taken-by=jpcoach

Very cool. Such a gorgeous photo too! And such kind words by JPcoach, with a "My pleasure" response from Dalilah! Onwards and upwards U.S. Pairs!!! :cheer2:

Alexa's comment about Dalilah's twist mastery is so cute:
alexa_knierim
Often referred to as the “twist whisperer” 😊

Cleo1782

Tarah, Danny and Jim Peterson in CO springs working with Delilah on their twist. Very interesting, i have my own high drama theory. But what does everyone else think of this?

Tarah has been rehabbing in Co for awhile, so great? No high drama. It's nice to see US coaches work together on pairs instead of apart. What's the harm? I don't think Jim and Delilah have any issues with each other and K/O's twist does need help. Good for Jim Peterson for trying to help his own team be better with help.

Spiralgraph

It's about time that USA coaches (especially pair coaches) put aside their petty concerns about their own success (or lack thereof) and start working together to help all our pairs improve. Now that the Knierims have jumped ship from Delilah, maybe she's not as annoyed as some claimed she was when John Coughlin worked with Tarah and Danny.
And good for Peterson too to reach out. Dare I hope that there will be some improvement in our pairs' performances and rankings? Well when more of them start landing their jumps consistently, I'll know my hope for USA pairs isn't just a hopeless dream.

happycamper2554

My personal theory is that she is salty that Chris and Alexa left. She knows that none her pairs at the moment will be able to compete with them at the moment. So she's going to help their biggest competition to try and prove that she is the better coach and was responsible for their success.

Also does anyone else think JP's comment was super passive aggressive. Also, the fact that they were already in CO and he showed up makes it seem like he was like yes she can help you, but I will be their to make sure she doesn't steal you guys. It comes off as kind of territorial.

Spiralgraph

^^ I don't see it that way at all. If Delilah is willing and able to share knowledge, Peterson would be a darn fool not to attend that session with Delilah and learn from her so that he might help his other teams. I'll take him at his word, he's being gracious and appreciative to Delilah. And sharing knowledge will help Delilah as well. A win-win situation to me.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Cleo1782

My personal theory is that she is salty that Chris and Alexa left. She knows that none her pairs at the moment will be able to compete with them at the moment. So she's going to help their biggest competition to try and prove that she is the better coach and was responsible for their success.

Also does anyone else think JP's comment was super passive aggressive. Also, the fact that they were already in CO and he showed up makes it seem like he was like yes she can help you, but I will be their to make sure she doesn't steal you guys. It comes off as kind of territorial.

What? This sounds like we are creating drama where there is none. Why is it catty that 2 coaches work together? I don't think anyone is out to prove anything except to prove we can have a good pair program. Peterson didn't have to post that and Delilah didn't have to reply in kind. OMG two coaches working together? Crazy. Like Tammy and Tom Z with Vincent.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The correct spelling is Dalilah Sappenfield everyone. I checked to make sure. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalilah_Sappenfield

Exactly @Cleo1782! Maybe we should relax with the conspiracy theories. There's enough drama on competition ice without all the off-ice rumor-mongering. Some things are just what they are, fairly straightforward and genuine. The rest is just making it through life's ups-and-downs, knowing what you want, and learning how to interact and manage relationships. Sometimes as fans maybe we should deal and chill. I know that can be easier said than done. And it is tempting to always look for some scuttlebut underneath the surface. But why must there be hidden motives for every act of generosity and cooperation? Or for every development that happens during the off-season?

I seriously see this as on-the-level. Jim Peterson reaching out, and Dalilah responding graciously. If Chris & Alexa were still working with Dalilah (as Tara/Danny's direct competition) maybe this twist-assistance would have been less likely to happen. But since Chris & Alexa have moved on, Dalilah likely feels unconstrained about lending assistance to their direct rivals. That doesn't have to mean there's anything 'salty' involved. :drama:

It was probably difficult on both sides when Chris & Alexa made the move to Aljona, but Dalilah surely hopes the best for them. There's too much important history between them for Dalilah to not want them to succeed. I don't see that there has to be any unnecessary bitterness involved. I think everyone connected with U.S. pairs has the mindset of wanting the discipline to improve as a whole, and that it will take a group effort. If Tara/Danny are stronger competitors by improving their twist, that only helps Chris/Alexa in the long run, just as it will help other contending U.S. pairs teams to have an opportunity to compete more consistently on the big stage.

Every U.S. team is aware that in order to succeed, they all need to push each other to improve. That way collectively they can build toward successfully landing more opportunities for multiple teams to compete at Worlds and Olympics. We have only to recall the excellent interview @clairecloutier recently conducted with Deanna & Nate to understand that our U.S. pairs' mindset is: Stronger Together! All for one, one for all means bounty for all. :cheer2:

Last edited:

happycamper2554

Wow this board is no fun. I love the conspiracy's so i'm going to stick with it. I don't know how anyone believes this we want to work together and improve U.S. pairs. Every team wants to win at all costs. I don't believe their is anyway that JP and Dallilah would have worked together if Chris and Alexa were still their and I think she is salty. I would be. So conspiracy theories or not. Everyone is out for themselves and that motivation has inspired some interesting collaborations, which I think will benefit U.S. pairs as a whole.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I remember reading years ago that Brian Boitano and his coach Linda used to go to different coaches every summer so that Brian could absorb different ideas and opinions. That way he could make his own decisions about his preferred skating style and use their lessons to strengthen his overall skating. I don't see anything wrong with going to another coach for assistance with something that feels like a weakness to help get it stronger and I love that Delilah helped out Tarah & Danny. Jim is one of the nicest people I have ever known (and I've known him a while now) so I highly doubt there's some sort of wierd conspiracy. He just wants his top team to be stronger which is not a bad thing for a coach to be looking out for his skaters.

Is the offseason over yet? I'm about done with this sort of crap. :rolleyes:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow this board is no fun. I love the conspiracy's so i'm going to stick with it.

Okay @happycamper2554, you can enjoy conspiracy theory-making to your heart's content in the confines of your own imagination. Maybe write a fiction series, but please lighten up on creating drama among U.S. pairs. That's the last thing that's needed at the moment. :drama:

You say this thread/board is no fun! Why? Because no one is willing to follow along with your 'salty' theory? Skaters and coaches surely are tired of fan-created snark and drama. They are too busy living their lives and working hard to support and contribute to the sport they love.

I don't know how anyone believes this we want to work together and improve U.S. pairs. Every team wants to win at all costs. I don't believe their is anyway that JP and Dallilah would have worked together if Chris and Alexa were still their ... Everyone is out for themselves and that motivation has inspired some interesting collaborations, which I think will benefit U.S. pairs as a whole.

In the context you are using the word, 'their' is spelled 'there.' Don't take the correction personal. :)

Regarding your additional thoughts, oh well. I disagree. There is such a thing as athletes being able to have respect for each other and still doing everything in their power to win over their competition. Also, I already said in my previous post that JP may not have reached out to Dalilah had she still been coaching Alexa & Chris who are K/O's direct rivals. But that does not mean there exists a 'dog-eat-dog' mentality among U.S. pairs coaches and skaters. Of course skaters focus on themselves and do everything they can to improve and to win. But unlike many fans, most skaters don't seem to hate each other.

Of course there have been some interesting collaborative developments during the off-season which hopefully will benefit the advancement of U.S. pairs. But that's all part of everyone also realizing that by improving and pushing each other, everyone succeeds. There's no 'saltiness' involved in that realization.

Willin

@happycamper2554 @aftershocks While I think this conspiracy theory doesn't make sense, and it doesn't make sense to espouse conspiracy theories on news threads like this, I'm kinda shocked there isn't already a wacko conspiracy/theory discussion thread in The Trash Can. Perhaps there should be one.

MrMystery

There are a few possibilities here, including Dalilah wanting to get her hands on a top team, as she, for the first time in a long time, isn't working with a team with a real chance of winning Nationals. But I also think U.S. Figure Skating has finally gotten into the mindset of literally being open to anything to progress the state of pairs skating. This includes encouraging their top pair coaches to also being open to anything for the greater good.

aftershocks

Banned Member
There are a few possibilities here, including Dalilah wanting to get her hands on a top team, as she, for the first time in a long time, isn't working with a team with a real chance of winning Nationals.

^^ Oh jeez, why over-think this development? Do any of you 'salty'-loving conspiracy theorists personally know Dalilah or Jim? Do you know anything about either of their motivations or thought processes? Dalilah has some uber-talented up-and-coming younger teams (including Digerness/Neudecker and Feng/Nyman)*, so I'm confident that she will continue to have her hands full in the sport as long as she desires. As I already initially mentioned, and others have repeated: Part of the reason Dalilah may feel unconstrained about assisting K/O is because she's no longer coaching their direct rivals. And so why then is Dalilah lending her assistance being seen as an opportunity for casting aspersions and devising suspicious motivations on her part? :duh: JP is the one who placed the call to Dalilah in the first place. And she responded graciously.

I'm looking for interesting training news or program clips about U.S. pairs, not off-season fantasizing and dramatizing. Please take the over-dramatic fiction and over-thinking to Trash Can. Thank you.

http://www.twofortheice.com/digerness-neudecker-focused-steady-climb/

http://spacecoastliving.com/sights-set-on-an-olympic-future/ (a 2015 profile on Nyman before he paired with Sarah Feng)
"Tommy-Jo Nyman was destined to be a figure skater. Both his parents are former professional skaters and currently work as instructors in the industry. His great-grandmother was a ballerina and several other relatives were musicians and actors... 'I love skating to programs with jaunty, upbeat and interesting choreography,' said TJ. 'My goal is to always try to get the audiences and judges to smile...'"

Last edited:

MrMystery

^^ Oh jeez, why over-think this development? Do any of you 'salty'-loving conspiracy theorists personally know Dalilah or Jim? Do you know anything about either of their motivations or thought processes? Dalilah has some uber-talented up-and-coming younger teams (including Digerness/Neudecker and Feng/Nyman)*, so I'm confident that she will continue to have her hands full in the sport as long as she desires. As I already initially mentioned, and others have repeated: Part of the reason Dalilah may feel unconstrained about assisting K/O is because she's no longer coaching their direct rivals. And so why then is Dalilah lending her assistance being seen as an opportunity for casting aspersions and devising suspicious motivations on her part? :duh: JP is the one who placed the call to Dalilah in the first place. And she responded graciously.

I'm looking for interesting training news or program clips about U.S. pairs, not off-season fantasizing and dramatizing. Please take the over-dramatic fiction and over-thinking to Trash Can. Thank you.

http://www.twofortheice.com/digerness-neudecker-focused-steady-climb/

http://spacecoastliving.com/sights-set-on-an-olympic-future/ (a 2015 profile on Nyman before he paired with Sarah Feng)
"Tommy-Jo Nyman was destined to be a figure skater. Both his parents are former professional skaters and currently work as instructors in the industry. His great-grandmother was a ballerina and several other relatives were musicians and actors... 'I love skating to programs with jaunty, upbeat and interesting choreography,' said TJ. 'My goal is to always try to get the audiences and judges to smile...'"

Yes, I do. For over twenty years. Do you? And did you read the second part of my post?

Cleo1782

Yes, I do. For over twenty years. Do you? And did you read the second part of my post?

Well, perhaps you have more insight than the rest of us. Although openly admitting you have known them for 20 years on a message board is odd, but okay...
Do I think the USFS wants pair coaches to work together? Yes. Do I think Dalilah was more willing to help K/O due to the fact that she no longer coaches Alexa and Chris? Yes. Do I think she is making a mad grab for Tarah and Danny directly in front of their longtime coach? No.
It's a well known fact Tarah has been in Colorado with her knee rehab. The same dr. that did her previous surgery working with her again. Yes, it's the first year Dalilah hasn't had a top team, but every coach goes through some leaner years. I think if something more was involved (ie Tarah and Danny switching coaches) Jim Peterson probably wouldn't be posting nice words on social media for all to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information