U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb0_JIaFh8w&feature=youtu.be

TSL's interview with Aljona Savchenko...
Discussion of Aljona working with the Knierims starts at 26:43.
There's interesting insight into Aljona's career and into her coaching philosophy with hints that things are progressing well. I like Aljona's approach to enjoying the process, trying new things, letting the students have a voice, bringing in other points of view, and the idea that she truly wants to help skaters improve and to win medals, but that it takes time. And also the situation of seeing improvement in your students, but not over-praising them because it's important to keep pushing forward. If you think you're good enough or that you've reached a goal of being better and you become too satisfied, then you will never go farther. So it's important to constantly push yourself and to set new goals.

Sylvia

TBD
JGP assignments are not yet posted/confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page but 2018 Novice champs Jade HOM / Franz-Peter JEROSCH currently are listed for the first JGP in Bratislava (eta: H/J looked like they deliberately left out the throw jumps from their programs in Detroit)
Hom/Jerosch are not listed on USFS' Assignments page for Bratislava so I assume they are not yet JGP ready. Hopefully they will get a chance to compete in one of the later ones (#4 in Vancouver or #5 in Ostrava).

Lockley/Prochnow are the only U.S. pair listed on the USFS website for JGP #2 in Linz.

Sylvia

TBD
Go check out @clairecloutier's report on her day at the Cranberry Open, including her impressions of Stellato/Bartholomay's new SP, that's linked in her blog thread :): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/a-divine-sport-blog.93505/page-15#post-5395039
She also wrote about the new Junior teams of Knoop/Eisenach and Cooke/Kozlowski and included fan cam videos of their SPs.

ETA: In response to @maureenfarone's question there re. Smith/Reiss... she's coming back from an injury and they are scheduled to compete in a local club competition in Colorado next week.

Last edited:

chachacha

I wonder Why Claire took down the video of Deanna and Nate? although they scored low, it’s so early in the season it’s Odd she posted and tweeted about it and then poof it’s gone????

chachacha

I don't know what happened but some skaters/coaches prefer not to have fan cams of new programs shared too early. No need to make such a big deal about it? I appreciate what Claire did share in her blog about the pairs she saw at Cranberry.
Ahhhh Got it! Yes, it was a nice article that Claire shared regarding Cranberry Open!

happycamper2554

Did anyone notice if Stellatto/Bartholomay had a different Twist entrance? It looks like Knoop/Eisnach did. It seems like Jim changed it based on his work with Sappenfield. I wonder if Kayne/O'shea will have one as well.

happycamper2554

Happy to see Nica Digerness and Danny Neudecker on the entry list for Lombardia Trophy - their first ISU Challenger (and senior international) assignment! :) Here's a recent practice clip of their sbs 3T: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmRf1swhYxxdLG8WDABIqdqo0HrRtbjkFzP7vo0/

ETA Pairs Scoretracker updated after Cranberry Open: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-pairs-scores/
Happy to see Nica Digerness and Danny Neudecker on the entry list for Lombardia Trophy - their first ISU Challenger (and senior international) assignment! :) Here's a recent practice clip of their sbs 3T: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmRf1swhYxxdLG8WDABIqdqo0HrRtbjkFzP7vo0/

ETA Pairs Scoretracker updated after Cranberry Open: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-pairs-scores/

Do you think that means that USFS is trying to prepare them for Skate America? When will that be announced?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Do you think that means that USFS is trying to prepare them for Skate America? When will that be announced?

We should know by Friday or Saturday when Champs Camp starts and the group photo comes up. What's funny is surely it is already decided, since the camp attendees don't just get a call to hop on a plane the day of camp. But nobody wants to tell us. But IMO Sean Rabbitt, Digerness/Neudecker, and Manta/Johnson are no-brainers. I cannot predict the ladies spot at all.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
If D&N dont get a second assignment Calalang & Johnson have highest score after them so far of teams who could get an invite. Does anyone think they would be sent to SkAm?

Cleo1782

We should know by Friday or Saturday when Champs Camp starts and the group photo comes up. What's funny is surely it is already decided, since the camp attendees don't just get a call to hop on a plane the day of camp. But nobody wants to tell us. But IMO Sean Rabbitt, Digerness/Neudecker, and Manta/Johnson are no-brainers. I cannot predict the ladies spot at all.

Basically. They might invite two pair teams like they did last S/B and C/L who both had no assignments and were theoretically both up for Skam but C/L ended up picking up a spot from K/O, so S/B got the host pick. They could do the same with men if they were on the fence about it. Ladies I assume will go to someone already invited that doesn't have 2 spots.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the GP Assignments thread (eta that I'm not surprised it was @jmtfti who noticed/posted first :)):
According to his Instagram, Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson "can't wait for Champs Camp."
As mentioned above by @Cleo1782, last year 2 pair teams without GP assignments were invited to Champs Camp, so the fact that Calalang/Johnson have been invited this year (this would be Brian's first Champs Camp) does not necessarily mean they have received the Skate America host spot.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the ISU Challenger Series thread (still awaiting USFS and the ISU to publish the SLC entries on their respective websites):
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.—U.S. Figure Skating announces the 20 athletes which will represent the United States at the U.S. International Classic in Salt Lake City from Sept. 12-16, 2018.
Pairs
Ashley Cain/Timothy Leduc
Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov
Jessica Pfund/Joshua Santillan
Nadine Wang/Akira Spencer [Akira] Howe

pairskatingfan

Alexa posted on her Instagram a video of her and aliona outside of the World Arena in Colorado Springs. I wonder if they will be working with Dalilah also?

Cleo1782

No it wasn't, that was 2016 I believe and I think they were getting -GOE even at nationals. I think the technique looks better and at least it doesn't look like she's going to fall on top of him.

They got a level 2 and positive GOE for it at nationals in 2016, but I agree it looks a lot better this way. The arm over the head was used more for a feature to get a level though. And they actually did get positive GOE and a level 2 this year at Nationals too which is questionable, but Alexa and Chris got positive GOE for a clearly 2 footed twist, so it I guess that's just Nationals scoring. For what it's worth K/O got a level 3 and positive GOE for it at 4cc's this year. I think this looks like an improvement and will hopefully get them more positive GOE on the element

happycamper2554

They got a level 2 and positive GOE for it at nationals in 2016, but I agree it looks a lot better this way. The arm over the head was used more for a feature to get a level though. And they actually did get positive GOE and a level 2 this year at Nationals too which is questionable, but Alexa and Chris got positive GOE for a clearly 2 footed twist, so it I guess that's just Nationals scoring. For what it's worth K/O got a level 3 and positive GOE for it at 4cc's this year. I think this looks like an improvement and will hopefully get them more positive GOE on the element

Me too, plus they are only five weeks in. It's almost like they are reteaming up as a new pair because it's completely different from what they were doing before. So hopefully it will only get better with time.

Cleo1782

Me too, plus they are only five weeks in. It's almost like they are reteaming up as a new pair because it's completely different from what they were doing before. So hopefully it will only get better with time.

I give them credit for trying to improve something that wasn't exactly a weakness, but could be a lot better. They definitely seem willing to try to maximize points and are using any resource they can. I am excited to see an injury free K/O this year and their improvement. It's nice to see US pairs take some risks and work to try to be competitive with the best in the world.

happycamper2554

I give them credit for trying to improve something that wasn't exactly a weakness, but could be a lot better. They definitely seem willing to try to maximize points and are using any resource they can. I am excited to see an injury free K/O this year and their improvement. It's nice to see US pairs take some risks and work to try to be competitive with the best in the world.

I hope so. My biggest hope for them is that they're going to put in the second triple. I think that they have to to be competitive. So we'll see if that happens.

Cleo1782

K/O twist a la Dalilah is marginally better and has more float to it.

I agree it looks better, but I think Tarah being healthy helps as well. Their twist never was their money element ala Chris and Alexa, but they never really suffered from a bad twist (ie they always got decent levels and generally positive GOE). Last year it looked a little rough, but I think it was an injury/timing issue too. I would chalk it up to some assisting from Dalilah and K/O getting back on track training and health wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information