U.S. Pairs 2020-21 season - News & Updates, Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Maybe someday I will see them skating for Switzerland. Best of luck to them!
Jessica Pfund didn't mention Switzerland specifically today but her latest IG post seems to allude to it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRexWogL5YO/
... Thank you to everyone who came to cheer on Josh and me as we skated our competitive programs in front of a panel of judges for the first time in 18 months!! I’m so humbled by the amount of support we have from you all. Looking forward to an adventurous year!!
She and Josh Santillan competed this weekend at the Orange Blossom Open club comp. in Florida. Their side-by-side jumps were planned doubles but they went for triple twist and throw triple(s) in both programs - good to see them back! :)
SP protocol: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/29896/SEGM069.html
FS protocol (scored 98.04): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/29896/SEGM090.html
Their music is Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold" (SP) and "Where's My Love" by SYML (FS) and I was informed that they choreographed the programs themselves.

Bob Mc

Jessica Pfund didn't mention Switzerland specifically today but her latest IG post seems to allude to it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRexWogL5YO/

She and Josh Santillan competed this weekend at the Orange Blossom Open club comp. in Florida. Their side-by-side jumps were planned doubles but they went for triple twist and throw triple(s) in both programs - good to see them back! :)
SP protocol: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/29896/SEGM069.html
FS protocol (scored 98.04): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/29896/SEGM090.html
Their music is Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold" (SP) and "Where's My Love" by SYML (FS) and I was informed that they choreographed the programs themselves.
Cranberry International is their next planned competition

Sylvia

Excerpt:
For a reminder, our short program is to Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy, and our free skate is to Where’s My Love by SYML. Choreographing our own programs has really made expressing to the music so much easier; when it is choreographed in such a way that we hear it, the emotions from the program come from within, rather than someone else’s idea of where the emotions come from. Although we have only resumed training for a little over a month, we feel extremely satisfied with where we are in our training. This last weekend we competed at Orange Blossom Open, a local competition in Clearwater as a tune-up for our international season. Even with so little time having trained, we were able to compete our programs with almost everything in it (we did double jumps instead of triples)!
So, what’s next for us? Well, Cranberry Cup will be our first international competition representing Switzerland, and we are totally excited for it! Although we will not get world ranking points for this event, we do have the opportunity to earn technical minimum scores for the European and World Championships.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
They are representing Switzerland? Where did that come from? Or have I had one too many hot Toddy’s?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
(all comps-Summer 2021)

SENIOR PAIRS FS/Overall
Liu/O’Shea 125/192
Lu/Mitrofanov 115/174
Chan/Howe 108/161
Plazas/Fernandez 93/143
Fakhroutdinov/Neudecker 90/140
Mokhova/Mokhov 89/135
Cooke/Bearinger 81/124
Burden/Rounis 80/123
Finster/Silecky 77/122

JUNIOR PAIRS FS/ OVERALL SCORE
Smirnova/Siianytsia 103/156
Fleming/Finster 74/126*
Smith/Deng 78/126
Lockley/Isbell 79/119
Wong/Weirens 80/119
Rivers/Chapman 77/114
Fletcher/Brown 66/108
Martins/Bedard 69/103
Black/Black 67/99
Moss/Edwards 61/94
Romero/Ogren 59/93
Murray/Gillette 53/75

* they had a higher FS score earlier this season but was paired w a lower overall score so I put this higher overall score instead

Last edited:

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
(all comps-Summer 2021)

SENIOR PAIRS FS/Overall
Liu/O’Shea 125/192
Lu/Mitrofanov 115/174
Chan/Howe 108/161
Plazas/Fernandez 93/143
Mokhova/Mokhov 89/135
Cooke/Bearinger 81/124
Burden/Rounis 80/123
Fakhroutdinov/Neudecker 68/123
Finster/Silecky 77/122

JUNIOR PAIRS FS/ OVERALL SCORE
Smirnova/Siianytsia 103/156
Fleming/Finster 74/126*
Smith/Deng 78/126
Lockley/Isbell 79/119
Wong/Weirens 80/119
Rivers/Chapman 77/114
Fletcher/Brown 66/108
Martins/Bedard 69/103
Black/Black 67/99
Moss/Edwards 61/94
Romero/Ogren 59/93
Murray/Gillette 53/75

* they had a higher FS score earlier this season but was paired w a lower overall score so I put this higher overall score instead
Dinov/Neudeck had 90.60 FS at Broadmoor & 140.33 total

Eislauffan

ISU article on Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier. They share their music choice for SP and FS:

Last edited:

Sylvia

^^^ Thanks, @Eislauffan! Relevant excerpt:
“Our new programs are finished and we’ve begun training them to prepare for Cranberry Open in August. We are extremely enthusiastic about both programs,” Alexa said. The Short Program is set to “House of the Rising Sun”. “It's branching off of the (previous) short to a whole other level, it is an exciting piece. Maybe we played with something in that genre, similar with our previous partners, but not exactly the same,” she continued. “A much more upgraded version with a new twist of a new style. It's going to fit our skating very well. It's going to be a good program,” Brandon added.
They chose to work with ISU Best Choreographer 2020 Award winning choreographer Shae-Lynn Bourne for the first time to work with them on that program. “She is incredibly gifted and has created a new freedom of skating within us,” Knierim pointed out.
Renée Roca, who did their programs in the past season, choreographed the Free Skating. “We adore Renée Roca and her creativity. Working with her last season set the tone for who we wanted to pursue our Free Program with for the Olympic season. We are skating to ‘Fix You’ by two different artists and one section composed by Karl Hugo from Studio Unisons. The combination of vocals from Fearless Soul and Coldplay allow for a delicate but exciting balance of energy,” Alexa shared.
Direct link to watch their 2+ minute ISU feature (embedded in the ISU article): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vldXDQItlgQ

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
ISU article on Alexa Knierim/Brandon Frazier. They share their music choice for SP and FS:

hmmmm, well House Of The Rising Sun could have more of the Metallica feel that Alexa and Chris did years ago.. so I could like it.

Fix You? I dunno, Id rather they let that resonate with The Shibs. They created magic with it.

They've only been skating for a year now, what needs fixing this soon. As far as the lyrics of Fix You Im baffled a bit about them using it.

But Kudos to going to Shae Lynn for HOTRS, Curious to see what she could do for them.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
hmmmm, well House Of The Rising Sun could have more of the Metallica feel that Alexa and Chris did years ago.. so I could like it.

Fix You? I dunno, Id rather they let that resonate with The Shibs. They created magic with it.

They've only been skating for a year now, what needs fixing this soon. As far as the lyrics of Fix You Im baffled a bit about them using it.
Agreed. This is a rather curious music selection. I would prefer a sensible classical piece.

-BB

skylark

But Kudos to going to Shae Lynn for HOTRS, Curious to see what she could do for them.
I'm also baffled about their choosing "Fix You." It doesn't resonate with me as having a kind of energy that goes with Alexa and Brandon. But who knows. I wasn't entirely on board last year with "Fall on Me," until they explained in an interview why they chose it. Maybe they can communicate something with Fix U (I was going to say "FU" but that didn't sound right!) so that it doesn't have to be explained.

House of the Rising Sun, however, should be Crackling for them. Excited very much about their going to Shae-Lynn, the genius. Also, it hasn't been overused lately in figure skating like, IMO, FixU has.

Jammers

So C/J competed at Glacier Falls and did their SP which answers the question about if they are injured. This just leaves more questions about why they aren't on the ISP and aren't competing on the GP. Of course even if they were injured the USFS would have still put them on the ISP so who the heck knows what is up with this team.

Sylvia

I checked USFS' website just now - Calalang/Johnson's names have appeared in both the 2021-22 Team B envelope and International Selection Pool lists. :) They debuted their SP & FS programs at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic last weekend and Robin Ritoss took off-ice photos of them, Liu/O'Shea (competed SP only) and McBeath/Bartholomay (eta) as well as the junior pairs Cate Fleming/Chase Finster (standing far L in the big group photo) and Sonia Baram/Daniel Tioumentsev (far R): https://figureskatersonline.com/news/2021/08/02/photos-2021-glacier-falls-summer-classic/

Group photo of the Great Park Ice Senior & Junior pairs that competed in the SP at Glacier Falls (shared on teamtoddandjenni's Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/p/CR93jTyJ2y8/

Olivia Serafini/Mervin Tran's names were removed from both the Team B envelope and ISP recently - they have split but neither has announced anything publicly, AFAIK.

ETA: I can start a new season thread for U.S. Pairs news before the start of the Cranberry Cup (Knierim/Frazier, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, Liu/O'Shea, Lu/Mitrofanov & Chan/Howe are among those mentioned by Skating Club of Boston as having registered to compete on August 14-15.

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

I checked USFS' website just now - Calalang/Johnson's names have appeared in both the 2021-22 Team B envelope and International Selection Pool lists. :) They debuted their SP & FS programs at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic last weekend and Robin Ritoss took off-ice photos of them, Liu/O'Shea (competed SP only) and McBeath/Bartholomay (eta) as well as the junior pairs Cate Fleming/Chase Finster (standing far L in the big group photo) and Sonia Baram/Daniel Tioumentsev (far R): https://figureskatersonline.com/news/2021/08/02/photos-2021-glacier-falls-summer-classic/

Group photo of the Great Park Ice Senior & Junior pairs that competed in the SP at Glacier Falls (shared on teamtoddandjenni's Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/p/CR93jTyJ2y8/

Olivia Serafini/Mervin Tran's names were removed from both the Team B envelope and ISP recently - they have split but neither has announced anything publicly, AFAIK.

ETA: I can start a new season thread for U.S. Pairs news before the start of the Cranberry Cup (Knierim/Frazier, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, Liu/O'Shea, Lu/Mitrofanov & Chan/Howe are among those mentioned by Skating Club of Boston as having registered to compete on August 14-15.

Well that answers another question if they are back on the International selection Pool. But heaven forbid if they withdraw from another assignment, FSU will go wild with more speculation.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
She looks pretty miserable and obviously has been hospitalized. I tend to think that she has not been vaccinated.
Why would you make any assumption about her vaccination status? She hasn't, as far as I've seen on her IG, indicated one way or the other regarding it. Are you assuming that just because she lives in Texas she's not?

sk9tingfan

Why would you make any assumption about her vaccination status? She hasn't, as far as I've seen on her IG, indicated one way or the other regarding it. Are you assuming that just because she lives in Texas she's not?
Generally speaking, breakthrough infections do not result in serious illness, i.e. hospitalization or death. The only thing that might have sent her to an inpatient setting, even if vaccinated and a breakthrough infection would be dehydration from diarrhea and/or vomiting. Looks like she also has an IV in place

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Because as a general rule vaccinated people are not being admitted to hospital. So the odds are more on she hasn't been rather than has been.

It's moot at this point though. We just need to hope she does well and recovers quickly. It could easily set them back in a season where they can't afford that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information