U.S. Pairs 2018-19 season - News & Updates, Part IX

meggonzo

Banned Member
Yup. I can’t stand this hyphenation. So North-American PC. We never heard this sort of thing 30 years ago. Do other countries on earth (beside USA, Canada) do this hyphenation thing?
Through practicing the rules of normal human decency. I am rich, not poor.

I have a friend that is 38 and she and her sisters grew up with their parents' last names hyphenated.

If you were a decent human being, someone hyphenating their last name would not bother you.

gkelly

Heh. If you are Dutch, it gets to be a lot of fun with names like Van Houwelingen, Ten Bruggencate, Van Meppelen Scheppink, Van Niejenhuis and De Kwaadsteniet. :lol:

Also it seems to be common for Dutch people to have three or four given names as well.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I have a friend that is 38 and she and her sisters grew up with their parents' last names hyphenated.

If you were a decent human being, someone hyphenating their last name would not bother you.

You connected preferring non-hyphenated names to decency. Please tell me this is a joke.

gkelly

I'm thinking of authors from the Netherlands of articles in the journal I manage.

quartz

scratching at the light
I'm thinking of authors from the Netherlands of articles in the journal I manage.
Then you do know different Dutch people. :D
My parents and their siblings each only had one given name, as did their parents and siblings - no middle names. I went to school with several kids who had no middle name(s) either.

VGThuy

Yup. I can’t stand this hyphenation. So North-American PC. We never heard this sort of thing 30 years ago. Do other countries on earth (beside USA, Canada) do this hyphenation thing?

You know in many other countries, women actually keep their family surname and that's their tradition. In Vietnam, women do not take their husband's last names. My mom never used my father's last name (and since they have long been divorced I am sure it made it easier for her). Their children do though. I think it's fine and up to the couple. The idea of women taking the man's last name is rooted in the concept of coverage meaning women did not have legal rights of their own and their rights were based on her husband. It's about property law and other types of laws. So now that's no longer an issue, why can't women keep their surname or form a new union and let the children decide what to do when it's their time to get married, if they choose to do so. Irrational appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Oh boy. Is it the off-season, or what! :drama:

I'm surprised no one has yet discussed Spanish naming practices, which involve using a mother's maiden name last as part of one's surname, e.g., tennis player, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario. Rafa Nadal's full name is Rafael Nadal Parera:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_naming_customs

http://spanish411.net/Spanish-Hispanic-Names.asp
:lol: Pablo Picasso's actual full name is:
"Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso."

I know that royal naming practices are strange, but probably the longest name in the world belonged to one of the late, great richest women in the world: the storied and famous 18th Duchess of Alba, who sadly had terrible plastic surgery done on her face later in life, which marred her features but not her fun, lively spirit! The short version of her name:
María del Rosario Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart y Silva, 18th Duchess of Alba
A longer version:
María del Rosario Cayetana Paloma Alfonsa Victoria Eugenia Fernanda Teresa Francisca de Paula Lourdes Antonia Josefa Fausta Rita Castor Dorotea Santa Esperanza Fitz-James Stuart y Silva Falcó y Gurtubay
The bolded part must be her mother's name.

The full version of her name includes the above, plus her 57 titles! However, she preferred to be called by one of her given names: Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart. More about Cayetana, I will take to the royalty thread, so maybe we can get back on track with U.S. pairs discussion. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qusKgbYqPwM Interesting timeline -- she was beautiful until undergoing the knife too many times
Maybe the music in the video might inspire a Latin-flavor pairs program... ;)

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/du...-in-the-world-dies-at-88-20141121-11qy2i.html
http://www.princemichaelschronicles.com/cayetana-fitz-james-stuart/
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/dest...-18th-duchess-of-alba-is-now-open-to-tourists

barbarafan

As far as I know, in Quebec you are no longer allowed to take your spouse's surname upon marriage.
You are allowed to have both as your name.....for instance my daughter has her first name and maiden family name then a hyphen and her husbands family name.

Sylvia

TBD
2019 U.S. Novice Ladies champion Calista Choi, 14, is skating pairs with Daniel Turchin, 16 (6th in Novice Men at Midwestern Sectionals in Nov. 2018) as revealed in their new joint IG account (they've worked recently with Robin Szolkowy and Kyoko Ina): https://www.instagram.com/calista_and_daniel_/

ETA: Calista is in USFS' ISP for singles and is a possible candidate to make her JGP debut later this year.

Last edited:

natsulian

Wish them the best of luck, but I can’t help but feel a little saddened by the possibility of her leaving Ladies singles (she recently had her new programs choreographed by Benoit). She’s one of the most promising upcoming Juniors and we need all the talent we can get in the ladies field right now.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wish them the best of luck, but I can’t help but feel a little saddened by the possibility of her leaving Ladies singles (she recently had her new programs choreographed by Benoit). She’s one of the most promising upcoming Juniors and we need all the talent we can get in the ladies field right now.

There's no indication as yet that Choi has decided to stop skating singles. She's got a long road ahead in both disciplines and thus some time to decide where she wants to place her focus ultimately. If there's a bottleneck at the top in ladies with the possibility for not making the top echelon without a 3-axel and a quad, then Choi has the pairs option backing her up, particularly if she and Turchin make significant headway as a team in the early and/or later going.

Already Choi/Turchin both appear to have good technique and nimble finesse on sbs jumps, an element that has sorely needed more consistency among U.S. pairs teams. So ballyhoo for them, and here's hoping they have fun on their journey, wherever it may take them. :cheer2:

Japanfan

So now that's no longer an issue, why can't women keep their surname or form a new union and let the children decide what to do when it's their time to get married, if they choose to do so. Irrational appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy.

They can and do. But most names are patrilineal. If a woman wanted to break with patrilineal tradition, she could create a new name for herself, then pass it on to her children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information