U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Alexa Scimeca Knierim discusses her medical ordeal since last year's Worlds:

Alexa Scimeca Knierim grateful to return from life-threatening condition
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/alexa-scimeca-knierim-injury-figure-skating/

HOLYYYY MOLLLYYYY

Thanks for finding this @clairecloutier

Wow, we never even knew HALF the stuff.

20 lbs????!!!!??? 3 surgeries??? Commentator at 4CC (Coughlin?) said was 2.

This was so serious and said had they not found that last doctor she would have passed from this. Just out of natural human curiosity I cant help wondering still what she had.... Only because it is so serious/fatal..... Like how many people get this... whatever it is.

I loved this statement.. just proves how good a USA team they are

"They proved they deserved that spot. The Knierims tallied the second-highest score by a U.S. pair in international competition under a 12-year-old judging system, surpassed only by their score at the same event a year ago."

Chris is 6'2"???? doesnt seem like he is in Shnapir territory....

Has anyone watched this video of the drain being pulled out of her?? Dont think I can do it..

PAIR GIRL TOUGH, Alexa!

LOVE you..

and you too Chris xo

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Holy cow is RIGHT. Jeez. I am amazed that she even functioned, let alone skated and got married!! I'm curious, too, as to what the condition was, and I wonder why she doesn't come out and name it to raise awareness (especially since it can be fatal)?? Maybe it's too much of a tongue-twister?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Sylvia

TBD
Both U.S. pairs have had their media teleconference calls. Lynn Rutherford tweeted this yesterday:
On call, [Scimeca/Knierim] said they will focus on getting L4 triple twist in #helsinki2017: "There is no need to press quad this season"

More: [S/K] calculate 1.5 point difference between L4 triple twist & L2 quad "Points are not worth it from health standpoint"
ETA link to audio of their call: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/220125674/v1244736983

Rutherford's tweets today:
Call: Since 4CCs Haven Denney @Brandon_F1992 worked w/Marina Zoueva adding detail to programs & w/Alex Ouriashev on jumps

More: Denney/Frazier back training in Chicago w/[Rockne Brubaker]; "We know we have ability to be top 8 #helsinki2017" says @Brandon_F1992
(Audio of their call is not yet available)

Last edited:

Princessroja

WOW, I knew Alexa was sick but I had no idea she was THAT sick. I'm so, so happy they found out what it was and seemingly fixed it. She is one tough cookie!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

More: [S/K] calculate 1.5 point difference between L4 triple twist & L2 quad "Points are not worth it from health standpoint"

Damn.. thats it?? I feel more and more theres not much incentive to do the risk of quad twist, quad throw and throw 3 axel (and 3axel in ladies singles)... I think BV should be much much higher for all four of those....

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

http://figureskatersonline.com/news...hris-knierim-return-with-renewed-perspective/

More details and information regarding Alexa Scimeca Knierim

This article is the best Ive seen that gives plenty of details regarding the health of Alexa Scimeca Knierim and what she had to go through including how to relearn to skate.

"Once Scimeca Knierim was ready to start training, there were more obstacles awaiting her. She had a large incision on her abdomen along with laparoscopic holes that were still healing and often when Knierim put his hand on her stomach for a pairs element, it would re-injure the incision. Scimeca Knierim was also prone to developing scar tissue, so her heart rate had to be monitored while she was skating. To make matters more complicated, she discovered that when you have severe abdominal surgery it interrupts your nervous system and affects your muscle memory, so she had to relearn how to skate all over again. In the midst of it all, this team and newly married couple grew closer and stronger in ways that they didn’t expect."

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Enjoyed the article once I fought with my virus protection software. It always refuses access to figureskatersonline and puts up the "Warning, Dangerous site" page. Does anyone else have this problem?

Oddly enough, I had this problem for ages but now I'm not.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

OK, just finished watching pairs and I have not been at fsu all day.

I was starting to freak when Tanith said that Ashley and Tim were FLOWN IN in case Alexa couldnt skate.. and Im like say WHAT?????

Ive been reading news and articles ALL week and NOTHING mentioned anything about Alexa being shaky to skate..

Having checked the start orders yesterday I knew Denney & Frazier were before them.. And once they showed standings before the flight Scimerim's were in there was nothing for D&F.and Im like did they do that bad that A. they arent showing them and B. they were so far down that they werent on the current leader board..

I held my breath for Scimerim's the entire program.. THEY were great.. Is that a PB or just under?

So why did usfsa fly in Ashley & Tim? Tan said for Alexa..Im thinking Haven....

When was the last time a USA team didnt qualify for free.

(SIDE NOTE) I keep saying ISU has to allow top 20 through to the free. Once I saw the Austrians I was like..FINALLY, AMAZING..60+ and these days a 60+ progam doesnt qualify you for the FREE??? Lets reward pairs teams and the depth it is at and allow more than just 16 teams through to the free....

(SIDE NOTE 2) OMG, Australia tho... Olys here they come.

Rock2

how late can you sub another team in?

Didn't know Alexa was sick. I hope there's stamina to get the free done. They don't have to drop to far to lose that second spot. US should really have 2 entries in Korea.

skatingguy

decently

Didn't know Alexa was sick. I hope there's stamina to get the free done. They don't have to drop to far to lose that second spot. US should really have 2 entries in Korea.
Well, it's a little late now that the competition has started. I suspect that the Knierim's will skate the free if at all possible because without them the US would have to go Nebelhorn to earn a spot to the Olympics.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Alexa was ill, so it was questionable whether they'd skate. Ashley and Tim were flown to Helsinki just in case.

Where did you find that out? I was reading many last minute news pieces and nothing mentioned Alexa being ill. Were they at practices?

I hope so much she is OK. She did AWESOME!!!

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ You mean the NBCSN broadcast?

Under the circumstances, it seems like Ash & Tim should more-so have been flown in to sub for Haven & Brandon. :(

Although the very restrictive cut-off limit could have hurt any newbie team. Yet if Ash/Tim had subbed and skated their sp like at Nationals, they should have scored well. For Haven & Brandon, they just have not fully put it altogether this season. With Haven's knee surgery-related jumping problems, their confidence surely has taken a hit as well.

Why with the current depth did ISU limit pairs so drastically? It's beyond comprehension. Even skaters who performed decently well didn't make the cut.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

From the ISU Special Regulations and Technical Rules document:

Each ISU Member may enter for each discipline one substitute in the case of one entry and no more than two substitutes in the case of two or more entries. The substitutes may compete only if their ISU Members have withdrawn the name of their Competitors initially entered for the concerned discipline at least one hour before the first draw begins.

So, Ashley and Tim, as listed substitutes, could have been entered up to the point of one hour before the first Pairs draw.

Chemistry66

Why with the current depth did ISU limit pairs so drastically? It's beyond comprehension. Even skaters who performed decently well didn't make the cut.

Each discipline's FS is limited to 4 Warmup Groups, so there is only need for 1 zamboni break. Since Pairs can only have 4 teams/warmup group, that means only 16 pairs can make the FS.

ISU would have to work out timing and scheduling issues with adding a 5th warmup group plus the zamboni break. I want them to, but it'll take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information