U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Are there any reports of what Griffin is doing and why the split?

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017...man-griffin-blitz-past-field-en-route-to-gold

What's the point of Coleman/Griffin splitting up as a first-year team after winning novice pairs at U.S. Nationals by 14 points? Not a complete commitment in the first place? Family relocation issues? Personal relationship issues?

I realize that they were not completely clean in winning novice pairs, but they looked fairly decent, with excellent potential. Same refrain: U.S. pairs can not build a viable and internationally competitive pairs discipline without re-thinking how to foster and encourage long term skater and partnership development.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I just came across this local Colorado article on Nica Digerness & Danny Neudecker that was published back in November 2016: http://www.boulderweekly.com/special-editions/winter-scene/once-is-luck/
Excerpts:
“One time we were doing a twist and I fell and got the wind knocked out of me,” Digerness says. “I couldn’t breathe for like 10 seconds. I don’t like that feeling. It doesn’t feel very good, but the next time we do it, [the jump] gets better. We just have to get over the fear of falling and do it again.”
Neudecker says he feels “pretty bad” when Digerness falls because he’s the one responsible for catching her. He says he tries to forget the fall happened and just move on, which always involves getting right back up and trying the move again.
“When an element’s not working very well, I really have to think of what I need to do in order to get it done, and not think of falling, or else I will fall,” Digerness says. “Mainly going back to the basics. [In an element], I don’t really feel too much other than what I’m thinking about technique.”
The article says Nica, at 16, has already graduated high school while Neudecker "is currently working on a degree in communications and counseling from the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs."
They are the 2017 U.S. Junior champions and will be making their first (and only, as he ages out after this season) trip to Junior Worlds with veterans Chelsea Liu and Brian Johnson (their 3rd and final trip together to JW as he turned 21 this past November).

shan

I'm really bummed that Coleman/Griffin split. :wuzrobbedI loved them at nationals and thought their story was super sweet.

Oh is that the team that won Novice? Bummer. I liked them and thought they had great potential.

Josh78

My :sekret: have told me that Griffin already has a new partner! (I know the family of the young lady, so I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say WHO until the news is given out by USFSA, if it is) -- Call was received Thursday before last, they were flown out this past Monday for a tryout period, and everything gelled so quickly, they were confirmed as a new partnership by Friday! I'm really happy, and hope they just continue gelling over the next few months before the JGP starts -- I've seen video of elements they are working on, they already have solid double throws, and nice lifts, timing on stroking is already fairly even, and the twist is coming along ( :sekret: is confident they will get better twist and triple throws very soon!)

aftershocks

Banned Member
My :sekret: have told me that Griffin already has a new partner! (I know the family of the young lady, so I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say WHO until the news is given out by USFSA, if it is) -- Call was received Thursday before last, they were flown out this past Monday for a tryout period, and everything gelled so quickly, they were confirmed as a new partnership by Friday! I'm really happy, and hope they just continue gelling over the next few months before the JGP starts -- I've seen video of elements they are working on, they already have solid double throws, and nice lifts, timing on stroking is already fairly even, and the twist is coming along ( :sekret: is confident they will get better twist and triple throws very soon!)

Thanks for the insider scoop @Josh78. Do you know what the reason is behind Coleman/Griffin split? Personal differences or something related to their on-ice partnership potential?

Cleo1782

Thanks for the insider scoop @Josh78. Do you know what the reason is behind Coleman/Griffin split? Personal differences or something related to their on-ice partnership potential?

I don't know why they split but I am pretty sure she will have a new partner soon as well in Florida. I know that they had a really scary fall in the exhibition gala practice on a lift, so maybe it was a potential thing? Idk, could have been personality but it looks like they both will be skating just with other partners.

Josh78

I couldn't really judge that -- Probably the ole "on-ice partnership potential" thing that always seems to rear its ugly head (usually -- and ironically -- AFTER a pair has just had a big success)

Cleo1782

I couldn't really judge that -- Probably the ole "on-ice partnership potential" thing that always seems to rear its ugly head (usually -- and ironically -- AFTER a pair has just had a big success)

I am pretty sure that is the case. Or maybe two better suited partners became available. That fall they took in practice was really scary. I know of a few tryouts going on now (all with previous pair experience) so hopefully will have some more junior/novice pairs this year formed for the jgp.

Last edited:

Jojo13

I am pretty sure that is the case. Or maybe two better suited partners became available. That fall they took in practice was really scary. I know of a few tryouts going on now (all with previous pair experience) so hopefully will have some more junior/novice pairs this year formed for the jgp.
Who has had tryouts? What's going on out there?

Cleo1782

Who has had tryouts? What's going on out there?

Unfortunately, that's for those people to share. I don't want to put out false info until it's officially ready to be announced, but there is a definite effort to build up our pairs program at the lower levels. Tryouts are happening everywhere, but I can only confirm that I know of those in Florida. And they will announce when ready. Some have already been paired up, but if you leak info too early you lose any trust you have with your sources. Sorry. I was just saying it's not all doom and gloom. Efforts are being made and it's not just breakups. New teams are being formed.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Unfortunately, that's for those people to share. I don't want to put out false info until it's officially ready to be announced, but there is a definite effort to build up our pairs program at the lower levels. Tryouts are happening everywhere, but I can only confirm that I know of those in Florida. And they will announce when ready. Some have already been paired up, but if you leak info too early you lose any trust you have with your sources. Sorry. I was just saying it's not all doom and gloom. Efforts are being made and it's not just breakups. New teams are being formed.

That sounds like good news to me. Thanks for sharing!

Here's to the U.S. paying more quality attention on a consistent basis to developing the pairs discipline! :cheer2:

Jojo13

Anxious to see

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Does anyone know the current situation with U.S. junior pair Lu/Mitrofanov?

They had a couple of JGP assignments last fall, as I recall. But they withdrew from Midwesterns and didn't compete at Nationals. Any updates on them?

Cleo1782

Does anyone know the current situation with U.S. junior pair Lu/Mitrofanov?

They had a couple of JGP assignments last fall, as I recall. But they withdrew from Midwesterns and didn't compete at Nationals. Any updates on them?

Idk. Maybe someone out of Texas (where I believe the train/trained) would know? I haven't heard about a break up. Maybe injury? He just teamed up with her last year and skated with Emily Chan, right?

clairecloutier

Idk. Maybe someone out of Texas (where I believe the train/trained) would know? I haven't heard about a break up. Maybe injury? He just teamed up with her last year and skated with Emily Chan, right?

Yes. Lu/Mitrofanov were a new team last year, and I think they did well at Skate Detroit and got one JGP (Ostrava). Their ISU bio lists their training base as Plano, TX, and coach is Alexei Letov. Mitrofanov's first partner was Emily Chan, as you said, then Ashley (Ashlee?) Raymond, and now Audrey Lu. http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00101223.htm

Sylvia

TBD
I'm sorry to hear about Weinberg/Fernandez - thanks for letting us know, @TanithandBenFan.

I recall that Lu/Mitrofanov had to withdraw from Midwestern Sectionals due to injury last November. They have one more season of ISU Junior eligibility in 2017-18 so I hope they will be back and ready to go this season.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Joy Weinberg posted a beautiful message on Instagram (can't link since it's private) that says she and Max are embarking on a new journey from skating. I was looking forward to seeing them progress as seniors :(

WOW, really? they started off with a bang. And its already over? sighhhhhhh

Cleo1782

WOW, really? they started off with a bang. And its already over? sighhhhhhh

They want to skate shows. She no longer wants to compete. They are an off ice couple. A shame He is a real talent and she had a rough go with injuries. Best of luck, but this was coming before Nationals.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
They want to skate shows. She no longer wants to compete. They are an off ice couple. A shame He is a real talent and she had a rough go with injuries. Best of luck, but this was coming before Nationals.

Wow, really? Thank you @Cleo1782

skate shows? they never even skated as seniors.

Couple? How old are they? cant remember.

Well i hope Liu of Johnson & Liu gets her jumping in order... I need some USA PAAAAAIIIIRRRRSSSSS!!!!!!!

Cleo1782

Wow, really? Thank you @Cleo1782

skate shows? they never even skated as seniors.

Couple? How old are they? cant remember.

Well i hope Liu of Johnson & Liu gets her jumping in order... I need some USA PAAAAAIIIIRRRRSSSSS!!!!!!!

Like it's been said they finished last this year. She does not want to compete anymore. If she doesn't want to compete than this is best for her. They had planned this before Nationals which I believe had something to do with the last minute coaching switch. Unfortunately it's a wasted talent especially with Max because I think he could find a good partner. But being an off ice couple you know how it is. Young love lol. There are opportunities for them on cruise ships and what not I think to skate shows.

Catherine M

Best of luck to Joy & Max as they start the next phase of their skating careers. Being a competitive skater isn't for everyone so at least the cruise ship industry gives them an option to earn a paycheck as they transition into their 20s. Plus with Matti Landgraf quitting at the end of the month to make a run at the German Olympic team means that at least one ship has an opening.

Cleo1782

Best of luck to Joy & Max as they start the next phase of their skating careers. Being a competitive skater isn't for everyone so at least the cruise ship industry gives them an option to earn a paycheck as they transition into their 20s. Plus with Matti Landgraf quitting at the end of the month to make a run at the German Olympic team means that at least one ship has an opening.
Agreed. Best of Luck. Who knows they could always change their minds ala Leduc if things don't work out. They are very young still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information