Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolla5501

I can't help thinking Mariah felt the same way Ashley did at Nationals 2018. Going into a competition with all the confidence in the world and feeling the federation drop you like a hot potato. To beat Bradie at Skate America then come 30+ points behind her here has got to crush her morale.

😁😁lol it was bit over the top, but it was fun to watch. I'd rather see too much expression than too little, but ya, with more practice she could learn to show some range. I have lots of faith in her ability to improve, unlike some of her compatriots.

Music suggestions for Amber? I feel like she has so much personality and the free music was too muted, like when Ashley skated to Muse. Not saying she should copy her, but she'd do better with some of Ashley's other music choice styles I think. And Shae-Lynn choreography - not the Zoom brand, the real thing 🤐.
Mariah was not dropped like a hot potato. LOL. She knew, you could tell on her face, she knows she got the score she deserved. I think you thought they would hold her up because she won Skate America and therefore she should automatically be a winner here. That’s not the way it supposed to work. She got dropped like a skater that failed to deliver a good skate

As for Amber’s music choice, whatever it is the music critics will hate it . So don’t worry about it
You can still be happy and cheerful without looking like a child at a recital who’s only directions before going on stage were to sparkle sparkle. Alysa goes over the top and comes across as a pageant girl
And this cynically sarcastic post comes across as rude and mean. You remind me of a person I met on a tour of Turkey, he asked me why I smiled all the time. (My response was that it takes less muscles to smile then frown). Just because some people are genuinely happy doesn’t mean they’re pageant girl and fake.

So how does it feel to be judged by someone who has no idea what you’re like? This is a young kid, just because she’s excited and happy isn’t a bad thing and you probably are not a mean person, but your post came across that way

Carolla5501

I agree. USFS needs better engagement and marketing, especially when it comes to ensuring that the public eye on the sport is not dictated by a single season (Olympic season). Before marketing, their first worry should concern rebuilding and restructuring to ensure that the US has depth.
This is an entirely different thread than lady skating, but the honest truth is I’m not really sure they want we think they want. They actually often seem to go out of their way to discourage fans.

VGThuy

People think people should be exactly like them and if they’re not then they have to attribute something negative to that person. And I’m glad a 15 year old girl gets to act 15 and not a try-too-hard to be polished and adult like when they were obviously styled by others as opposed to it coming from them. I remember so many younger skaters have tried to do the Kwan transformation thing to be more serious and mature and it came off as “pageant”. It worked for Kwan because she was ready for it and her personality was growing in that direction anyway. Anyway, Liu is more of a Lipinski type of skater who wants to go out there, show herself off as she is, and shut you critics down with big skates with an even bigger smile.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm always the first one to roll my eyes over a permagrin, but Alysa's smile didn't look like that to me. It looked like she was so excited she couldn't hold it back. Of course she'll have to work on appropriate expressions if she wants to skate to dramatic music, but last night it was kind of cute. :)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I always think back to Jenny Kirk (sorry for her) as an example of something that has always stuck out in my mind after all these years. I don't believe her own ABBA muzak medley performances have made it online (she dumped the program), or at least I haven't come across it, but I can still remember watching Skate America or Skate Canada IIRC and she was having a terrible skate. She would sulk HARD when she wasn't facing the judges, but every time she turned around, she plastered on a big smile. Would you prefer that? :lol:

olympic

I read that Alysa is again practicing 3As as of last week (or perhaps it was mentioned during the NBC telecast). Does anyone know if she has a good landing ratio?

VGThuy

I always think back to Jenny Kirk (sorry for her) as an example of something that has always stuck out in my mind after all these years. I don't believe her own ABBA muzak medley performances have made it online (she dumped the program), or at least I haven't come across it, but I can still remember watching Skate America or Skate Canada IIRC and she was having a terrible skate. She would sulk HARD when she wasn't facing the judges, but every time she turned around, she plastered on a big smile. Would you prefer that? :lol:
I’d love to see that performance.

jlai

Question everything
ok, from the selection, I guess they make discretions where the point totals are close (like #2 vs #3), like less than 1 point of each other.

NAOTMAA

I think it makes perfect sense even if it does suck for Amber. Even with her ur issues the international judges do like Karen (PCS wise) and she is far less likely to meltdown. There is also the chance she could surprisingly rotate the majority of her jumps too

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Much as I like Karen I don’t feel she has done much recently (not that anyone has!) to really justify going against Nationals results. I feel really bad for Amber, it’s not like they can even send her to 4CC as consolation.

They may as well name Chen, Brown and Zhou to the team now before they even get on the ice :shuffle:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Much as I like Karen I don’t feel she has done much recently (not that anyone has!) to really justify going against Nationals results. I feel really bad for Amber, it’s not like they can even send her to 4CC as consolation.

They may as well name Chen, Brown and Zhou to the team now before they even get on the ice :shuffle:
All the other disciplines probably already have the press releases ready because let's be real, there will be no surprises on those world teams.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Karen had a great free skate at 4CC last year, but it was just in the middle of a lot of other ladies having great free skates. She also was in a virtual 4-way tie in the LP at Skate America, where Glenn was quite a bit behind. So I think she's slowly but surely gotten consistency back that is overshadowed by the flashier/younger skaters.

Feel bad for Amber and totally would've given her the ticket, but I'm not shocked at all.

VGThuy

Not gonna lie. This makes me really nervous although I’m also very happy.
I think it makes perfect sense even if it does suck for Amber. Even with her ur issues the international judges do like Karen (PCS wise) and she is far less likely to meltdown. There is also the chance she could surprisingly rotate the majority of her jumps too
Your scenario is what I’m praying for and I’m not a praying person.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think the USFS made the right decision, if they're bent on making that decision right now. I'd have probably held off entirely until we know what the ISU decides at the end of the month, but it's not a big deal one way or the other.

Carolla5501

Well I don’t think they made the right choice, but I also think it’s all ceremonial. I think the chances of worlds happening are negligible. It’s one thing to do this bubble top of it domestically, it gets much harder internationally. And I don’t think we can move figure skaters to a essential industry to get them all vaccinated in the next couple of weeks

So while Amber doesn’t get the pleasure of being named to the worlds team I don’t think she’s missing out on a trip to Stockholm either. I also hate to say this, but I don’t think she has the right coaches for politicking.

sjs5572

Agreed. Mariah was judged according to how she skated. If the short program was judged correctly, I think her overall placement would have been lower.
Also, I love Mariah, but she was held up in PCS in LP. She was sluggish after missing the 3F/3T.

NAOTMAA

Good choices. Must have been hard to choose between Chen and Bell. Wait, Bell is not the first alternate? Ouch.
Bell not being the first alternate is what makes it all easy to swallow. I still get angry about what happened to Ross who got totally dumped even in the alternate rankings (Olympics AND worlds). Amber being 1st alternate is correct

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
It's a tough decision to make. You can't assume that a podium-finisher will also do well at Worlds. I prefer Karen over Glenn, but they are so close this year, it's hard to say who will do better. I wish the ladies all the best and to have fun, no matter what the outcome is.

Natanielle825

Good choices. Must have been hard to choose between Chen and Bell. Wait, Bell is not the first alternate? Ouch.
Thats what makes me think the fed has changed their mind about her. Going in to this competition, everyone thought they wanted her to be National champion. If they considered this a fluke bad performance, she wouldn't be second alternate. Choosing Karen over Amber seems to indicate theyre thinking about who is most likely to do well at Worlds, which is apparently not Mariah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information