U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Is there any chance Polina would get the TBA assignment at Skate America? Has she been given on of those before?
I don't know if there is a chance or if there should be, but there is no maximum number of seasons USFS can assign the same skater/team to Skate America.

USFS can ignore the recommendation in the Announcement that the host pick has the minimums and put in the de facto air quotes around "should" be Top 75SB and choose whoever they want among ISU senior-elegible US skaters,. The only other constraints are USFS selection policies, if they have them.

Dobre

Polina has never competed at Skate America.

Is there any chance Polina would get the TBA assignment at Skate America?

After the way she skated in her last GP and with how much time she has been away from competition, I think she would have to prove herself by earning a high summer score (and plausibly need to compete in some of the bigger summer events). But theoretically, yes, I suppose she could earn a ticket to Skate America the hard way.

natsulian

Known competitors at Broadmoor Open:
  • Alysa Liu
  • Karen Chen
  • Amber Glenn (Practice: 2A and 3F-3T)
  • Ariela Masarsky (Practice: 2A and 3S-Eu-2F)
  • Lara Annunziata (Practice: 2A, 3Lz-3T, and 3Lo)

These are the only ones I could glean from Instagram.

barbarafan

Known competitors at Broadmoor Open:
  • Alysa Liu
  • Karen Chen
  • Amber Glenn (Practice: 2A and 3F-3T)
  • Ariela Masarsky (Practice: 2A and 3S-Eu-2F)
  • Lara Annunziata (Practice: 2A, 3Lz-3T, and 3Lo)

These are the only ones I could glean from Instagram.
Are there any starting order lists? is there a live stream?

natsulian

Last edited:

layman

Alysa is just not getting the lift and spring in the lutz that she could get. It's the way she uses the toe-pick (not very efficiently). I think her team should work on correcting the timing and technique in the jump (for doubles) before worrying about adding extra rotations. If Alysa grows any, she won't be able to land a 3-lutz (not to mention a 4-lutz), if she continues doing the lutz this way.

Most of Alysa's jumps lack spring. She tends to rotate right off the ice, without springing up first. This won't serve her well as she grows. Somebody (on her team) should help her with getting the required spring (first in doubles, then progressing to triples and quads) right now, before it's too late.

feraina

Alysa is just not getting the lift and spring in the lutz that she could get. It's the way she uses the toe-pick (not very efficiently). I think her team should work on correcting the timing and technique in the jump (for doubles) before worrying about adding extra rotations. If Alysa grows any, she won't be able to land a 3-lutz (not to mention a 4-lutz), if she continues doing the lutz this way.

Most of Alysa's jumps lack spring. She tends to rotate right off the ice, without springing up first. This won't serve her well as she grows. Somebody (on her team) should help her with getting the required spring (first in doubles, then progressing to triples and quads) right now, before it's too late.
The modern technique is to start rotating right off the bat. Jason learned to jump up first then rotate, and it’s not only keeping him from landing the quad but making him UR the triples. Cricket club has been trying to switch him over and it’s really made a difference in his 3A and 3-3’s. But the other thing CC teaches and Alysa seriously lacks is SPEED. Something both Jason and Evgenia have been working on.

Alysa is not picking up nearly enough speed going into her jumps. That’s why she can’t get enough spring. She could use some time with Raf or Orser. But she seems so young and not ready to move either with or without her family.

natsulian

If you compare Alysa’s 3A from Nationals to now, you can actually see quite the improvement in terms of height and distance. However, she really needs speed going into her jumps. Her rotational speed is insane and if she just had more speed going into her jumps, I think she’ll be able to land rotated quads consistently.

Also, remember that the altitude is terrible for everyone (especially the poor pairs teams), so we will not truly see just how much everyone has improved. People were falling on jumps they could do in their sleep and some people just seem to fare worse under such high altitudes.

Last edited:

layman

The modern technique is to start rotating right off the bat. Jason learned to jump up first then rotate, and it’s not only keeping him from landing the quad but making him UR the triples. Cricket club has been trying to switch him over and it’s really made a difference in his 3A and 3-3’s. But the other thing CC teaches and Alysa seriously lacks is SPEED. Something both Jason and Evgenia have been working on.

Alysa is not picking up nearly enough speed going into her jumps. That’s why she can’t get enough spring. She could use some time with Raf or Orser. But she seems so young and not ready to move either with or without her family.
How about a summer jump clinic with Mishin (like Bradie did)? Orser and Raf would also be good choices.

I remember Viktor Kudriavtsev, renowned Russian Coach, helping Evan Lysacek when he was at this stage in his career.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
(it's off season, right...) Sasha Cohen and her new boyfriend.. 🥰
https://i4.imageban.ru/out/2019/06/22/afb5ddf0b1eda1961b38389aba7c032e.jpg

He looks like he is 107!

Are you high, Clairee? That daddy looks just fine to me and no doubt to Sasha as well. Don't want no scrubs. :respec:

I think she dated him several years ago as well. I'm quite jealous of their vacation :summer:

:watch:
Wowza, the off-season thread drift is so dizzying. 🤪 You always have to double-check to figure out what thread you entered! :unsure:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Her rotational speed is insane and if she just had more speed going into her jumps, I think she’ll be able to land rotated quads consistently.

Who is a speed coach then? Isn't developing speed more of an individual, body structure and ability factor coupled with dedicated focus on practicing basic blade skills?

Willin

Who is a speed coach then? Isn't developing speed more of an individual, body structure and ability factor coupled with dedicated focus on practicing basic blade skills?
Speed has a lot to do with technique and strength, particularly knee bend, use of edges, crossover reach, getting the most push out of every step, etc. Since all of these are integral to ice dance, perhaps it would be best for her to do ice dance lessons. Then again, she is following the trend of modern ladies skating, and her style is very similar to that of the Russian skaters she is jumping like. So getting the good skating skills that will get her the speed may not be a priority.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
@Sylvia created a thread for the Broadmoor Open event in the Kiss and Cry. Sadly, there seems to be no livestream at the moment.

EDIT: Alysa Liu landed a 4Lz and another one in combination at Broadmoor --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BzJ_DpuFMZs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
That was very under rotated. And looked two footed as well.
Pls correct me or explain where I am wrong. She sure rotates fast!
Speed has a lot to do with technique and strength, particularly knee bend, use of edges, crossover reach, getting the most push out of every step, etc. Since all of these are integral to ice dance, perhaps it would be best for her to do ice dance lessons. Then again, she is following the trend of modern ladies skating, and her style is very similar to that of the Russian skaters she is jumping like. So getting the good skating skills that will get her the speed may not be a priority.

If it is as you say, I think she is making a mistake. That technique serves her well now....but I don't think it will work through puberty. Ice dance would be a wonderful thing for her to study. She could learn so very much.

Tinami Amori

He looks like he is 107!
That's Geoff Lieberthal... :D he is gorgeous. looks very young without beard.

I guess he looks older with a beard. "Looking old" is good given he handles multi-mil investments as a Partner @ Lee Equity Partners, LLC. I just love men who look like they can be a "character" in an Old Testament...

:D

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the 2019 Broadmoor Open competition thread in Kiss & Cry...

https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1144065978709491713
Karen Chen won the SP Only event at Broadmoor Open tonight with 76.04 points, landing a clean triple lutz-triple toe. "Karen is back. She's in a good place, skating for her own reasons, passion and love for the sport," coach Tammy Gambill said earlier today.
I heard Karen also landed 2A & 3Lo cleanly and that Amber Glenn (65.24) landed 3F+3T, 2A & 3Lo for 2nd.

natsulian

I heard Karen also landed 2A & 3Lo cleanly and that Amber Glenn (65.24) landed 3F+3T, 2A & 3Lo for 2nd.
Amber’s 3F-3T is on her Instagram Story. She’s done a clean short ever since Nationals. Now let’s do clean Shorts AND Longs.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
That was very under rotated. And looked two footed as well.
Pls correct me or explain where I am wrong. She sure rotates fast!

If it is as you say, I think she is making a mistake. That technique serves her well now....but I don't think it will work through puberty. Ice dance would be a wonderful thing for her to study. She could learn so very much.
I doubt most of these kids (or their parents for that matter) are thinking about skating for the long term or are looking at figure skating as a career. They are looking at making the next Olympic team, then going to college and doing something else. A very small number continue to skate into their late teens and even less into their twenties. They want to do what will help them win now not ten years from now.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Holy Kare Bear... OK,..KEEP IT GOING Karen.. she has my full attention.

For Miss Amber the challenge is her free (like so manyyyy USA skates before her) Amber usually can do a solid SP.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Holy Kare Bear... OK,..KEEP IT GOING Karen.. she has my full attention.

For Miss Amber the challenge is her free (like so manyyyy USA skates before her) Amber usually can do a solid SP.

OK, so why is the free a problem? Is it because it is longer and skaters do not have the stamina? Is there too much to remember? Is it that with needing all the jumps and combos your weakness will show up?
Has it become a legend so it is in skater's heads.

Logically it makes no sense. You train, train, train so the moves are automatic, and your stamina should hold up.
Is there just a dearth of qualified and talented US ladies?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I think mistakes really affect Amber, so the FS presents a focus challenge more than a physical one, but who knows.

Stephanie

Just noticed from the Broadmoor protocols that Alena Budko has jumped up from novice to senior (although she could be skating up for some reason)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information