U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Quick recap of last week:

Mariah Bell finished a very strong 4th at Skate Canada International. As I wrote in her Cheer thread yesterday, she looks to me to be skating with confidence and bigger amplitude this season and I hope she can continue to build as the season progresses. She worked with Adam on her SP choreography back home yesterday (saw a clip in his IG story).

The ISU has archived all personal best scores prior to this season and Mariah's FS & total scores in Laval (126.90 / 190.25) were very close to her now "historic" PBs at 2016 Skate America where she won the silver medal (130.67 / 191.59).

Starr Andrews attained 3 ISU season best scores in Laval and skated MUCH better at Skate Canada (4th in SP, 7th overall) than the week before her GP debut at Skate America. This article by Nick McCarvel was published before Skate America: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018...could-be-a-figure-skating-star-in-the-making/

U.S. Senior Ladies Scoretracker: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-senior-ladies-scores/

At Golden Bear in Zagreb, Croatia, Emilia (Milly) Murdock won the silver in Junior Ladies -- behind JGP Final qualifier Alena Kanysheva -- with the highest international scores by a U.S. junior lady so far this season (though they don't count as ISU SB): 61.39 (3rd), 115.48 (2nd), 176.87. She landed 6 triples in her "Moon River" FS: 3Lz (received an edge warning in both programs), 3F, 3Lo, 3F, 3S / 3F+2T, 3S+2T, 2A.
Fan cams filmed from above of Murdock's programs: Short Program & Free Skate.
U.S. Junior Ladies Scoretracker: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-junior-ladies-scores/

In their international debuts at Golden Bear, Alena Budko won the gold and Kate Wang the bronze in Adv. Novice Ladies.
Budko went for two 3Lz and 3Lo in her FS, landing the opening 3Lz+2T and both loops, but she fell on her 2nd 3Lz and final 3S (both were called <) and lost her final spin.
Wang attempted two 3-3 combos at the beginning of her FS -- 3Lz+3Lo< and 3S+3T<< -- but fell on both. She has 5 different triples through Lutz in her repertoire and was credited with landing 3F and 3Lo cleanly in her FS.

U.S. Novice Ladies Scoretracker: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/current-novice-ladies-scores/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Angela Wang's Mentorship with Michelle Kwan is a Young Girl's Dream Come True by Darci Miller: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...le-kwan-is-a-young-girls-dream-come-true.aspx
Though the two had met several times since Wang was too shy to ask Kwan for her autograph, those interactions had never gone deeper than a quick hello and well wishes. But they struck up a conversation at the 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, where Wang finished seventh. Wang hadn't thought much about her future in skating, and Kwan asked for her number so they could chat.
"I was so overwhelmed, I started crying," Wang said, laughing. "I was like, 'Oh my god, it's Michelle Kwan, she's talking to me!' So I think she knows I'm a really big fan."
The two spoke on the phone several weeks later. Kwan agreed to mentor Wang throughout the season and, while tossing around ideas for programs and choreography, threw out an unexpected question.
"What do you think about my sister and I doing a program for you?"

insideedgeua

Not surprising really, given that her Instagram Story during Skate America and Skate Canada was a virtual audition. She posted screenshots and comments about many skaters.

She didn’t do the same during Helsinki. Maybe she was too busy negotiating a contract.

I do have to hand it to her, she’s certainly media savvy. 😝👍

I’ll be interested to see what she has to say once her microphone is switched on.

Marco

Is this a one time thing? I thought she was coaching at the Boston Skating Club?

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Ashley wouldn't have to travel at all to record VOs, as there is an NBC affiliate in Boston (not to mention countless recording studios). All they have to do is run the footage on a screen while taping her commentary, then send to the editors at Olympic Channel to prep for broadcast.

annie720

Ashley wouldn't have to travel at all to record VOs, as there is an NBC affiliate in Boston (not to mention countless recording studios). All they have to do is run the footage on a screen while taping her commentary, then send to the editors at Olympic Channel to prep for broadcast.

Especially since Olympic Channel isn't airing the GP events live. The first time NHK appears on my OC schedule is Monday evening for Pairs, short and long.

Barbara Manatee

All the other commentators have gone to the NBC center in Connecticut, and I assume Ashley will too. She does have to be in the same room with Andrea Joyce, after all. And they do watch and comment live even if the show isn't broadcast until later.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Ashley has to say. NBC is building up a nice rotation of former skaters, and I've enjoyed getting the different perspectives every competition.

concorde

It's all about Mariah this season!

Clean jumps, increased tech content, glowing programs (that are a huge leap forward), renewing confidence!

Sorry but I am not that optimistic. The one 3-3 she did got an edge call on the lutz and the 3-toe was under-rotated. Without a couple of 3-3s, there is no way she can be in the top tier without other skaters making mistakes.

And I think she is probably our #2 lady.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So has there ever been a Grand Prix season (Champion’s series back in the day?) in which a U.S. woman did not medal at any event? We’re more than halfway through the series and it seems that might be the case.

Loves_Shizuka

So has there ever been a Grand Prix season (Champion’s series back in the day?) in which a U.S. woman did not medal at any event? We’re more than halfway through the series and it seems that might be the case.

Tennell will have a chance in France, but it's a tough field; Med, Kihira, Konstantinova, Mihara... not impossible though.

Frida80

I'm not predicting anything. What, exactly, is unclear about "hope"?

Fair enough. I hope that that Gracie is mentally healthy enough to resume her skating career. If her results next week are bad, I hope that she doesn't relapse into a deep depression again. I hope that Gracie skates for herself and not just results. I hope Gracie can find her own happiness.

Frida80

No. Already checked the history. We've medaled every year.

Maximillian

RIP TA
I have to say as someone who has primarily cheered for Nagasu (and to a lesser extent Gold), I've often overlooked Bell in the past; however, this weekend she really impressed me with her skating. I doubt she'll ever be a world beater, but I do think she could challenge for top of the podium at Nats. this year. Beyond that, her beautiful skating was a wonderful surprise during a weekend of wonderful skating.

ETA: I cannot say how much I adore both Angela Wang's SP and LP (but especially the SP) and I would so love to see her skate one or both of them to their full potential because I think it would bring down the house.

VGThuy

I remember Mariah Bell blowing the house down at 2016 Skate America where I believe she even stole the show from Wagner. That one skate made me overvalue her chances for the next seasons. I had forgotten what a great skater she could be and I'm glad she's reminding all of us this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information