U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
One last thought/observation - WolfTsar seem to have the best/most organic fit to the MIDA choreography of the teams they've already picked up in the last 18 months. I didn't feel like they, as a team, were fighting against the music/choreo/packaging - and that's what I think might be the intangible problem with both GreenP and BraSom. YMMV.
Very interesting insight. For Bratti/Somerville specifically, I wonder if Hubbell, Moir, and Diaz would be a good fit for them. They've certainly brought C/P along some way.

AYS

🌻
I personally do agree with Ben's leapfrogging comment based on Z/K's talent and current position on the exponential curve so-to-speak, due to being a new team as well as Emilia's learning curve (and importantly, my own preferences), but as with all meaningless prediction discussions, time will tell. We can all sit back and enjoy the ride with this deep US field.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Z/K have the IT factor in addition to his obvious skill and her danciness and lovely positions. I sure hope it’s not because they’re a couple IRL!
From their IG it appeared they used to be. It seemed to be over but they look to have a good rapport still so hopefully that’s a good sign!

Spiralgraph

Very interesting insight. For Bratti/Somerville specifically, I wonder if Hubbell, Moir, and Diaz would be a good fit for them. They've certainly brought C/P along some way.
From what Mark H. said in his commentary, I thought that B/S were very involved in their choice of music, and perhaps packaging too. As much as we want each team to improve they're going to be judged amongst themselves at Nationals and we'll see how it all comes out.

Z/K is the shiny new team with an interesting story on how they came together as a team, that's one reason there's so much focus on them. Plus Vadym is very talented, but he isn't the only gifted skater in US dance.

I'm glad I'm not a judge cause aside from my love for H/B I can't decide which US team I like after them. :cheer2:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Finally watched the senior FDs from the Dance Final...

WolfTsar and FlorDes definitely have the goods to beat McNSpir at Nats - their programs are infinitely better than anything McNSpir have ever done. These two teams might even do well enough to beat BraSom and/or PateBye. I'm not sure they can pass PateBye this season, but next season could be a different story.

LingWein also might be good enough to pull off an upset and beat McNSpir, but probably not. I mean, I prefer their brand of bland, vanilla programs to McNSpir, but that's probably not enough to move ahead without mistakes.

One last thought/observation - WolfTsar seem to have the best/most organic fit to the MIDA choreography of the teams they've already picked up in the last 18 months. I didn't feel like they, as a team, were fighting against the music/choreo/packaging - and that's what I think might be the intangible problem with both GreenP and BraSom. YMMV.
I think B/S’ FD is some of MIDA’s best work. It’s allowing Emily to really show some passion.

Ena Grins

I see pretty clear tiers going into US Nationals, based primarily on the GP.

Green/Parsons and Carreira/Ponomorenko - Neither has decisively pulled ahead of the other. G/P have the better RD scores but C/P are better in the FD. They're also not that far above the other teams below - so big mistakes will matter.

Zingas/Kolesnik and Brown/Brown - Z/K started strong at Nepela but haven't replicated their RD score. The Browns seem to be building and I thought they deserved the higher placement at Skate Canada. Nevertheless, Z/K's potential is very high. (I'm a Browns fan and think their potential is enormous too, but could see Z/K reaching theirs faster.)

Pate/Bye and Bratti/Somerville could also potentially play spoiler to Z/K and the Browns.

I would love it if USFS sent 2-3 teams to Golden Skate to get a little more international exposure this season, especially a team like the Browns who are on the rise but almost definitely are not going to 4CC or Worlds anytime soon.

dancing_on_ice

I would love it if USFS sent 2-3 teams to Golden Skate to get a little more international exposure this season
Zingas/Kolesnik confirmed that their next event is Golden Spin in an interview after their free dance. CPom said that their next competition is US Nationals, which makes sense as CPom have already done two Challengers. I wonder if Hawayek/Baker could compete at Golden Spin to get a competition in before US Nationals

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
If HawBak are ready, I would expect them to compete at Golden Spin. I hope FlorDes also get assigned to Golden Spin.

VGThuy

I miss Hawayek/Baker. I will say it hasn't been the GP season for Green/Parsons that I hoped for, but for all their struggles, they seem to be scoring pretty okay. Not close to what I hoped for, but I have to look at the bright side of things. I've noticed something seems a bit off with them as I watched their performances.

AYS

🌻
Isabella posted on IG that it's 2 more weeks til their next competition, so I guess that's Golden Spin. Yay!

dancing_on_ice

Official Entries for Senior and Juniors at US Championships

Senior Ice Dance

• Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville (bye)
  • Oona Brown and Gage Brown (bye)
  • Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko (bye)
  • Madison Chock and Evan Bates (bye)
  • Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Caroline Green and Michael Parsons (bye)
  • Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker (bye)
  • Raffaella Koncius and Alexey Shchepetov (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Klara Kowar and Thomas Schwappach (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Angela Ling and Caleb Wein (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov (bye)
  • Cara Murphy and Joshua Levitt (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Eva Pate and Logan Bye (bye)
  • Katarina Wolfkostin and Dimitry Tsarevski (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik (bye)
Junior Ice Dance
  • Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Amy Cui and Kenny Eckert (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Julia Epps and Blake Gilman (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Sylvia Li and Rowan Le Coq (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Leah Neset and Artem Markelov (bye)
  • Eliana Peal and Ethan Peal (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Yahli Pedersen and Jeffrey Chen (bye)
  • Emily Renzi and William Lissauer (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
  • Grace Yi and Danila Savelev (U.S. Ice Dance Final)
Carhart/Horovyi not on the list, so they either didn't petition for an injury bye or didn't get one. Ilin/Cain are on the list despite being expected to compete at the YOG, thus won't be competing at US Nats.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over from the U.S. National Qualifying info thread in GSD:
USFS' press release today (Nov. 21, 2023):

"The following athletes have qualified for the 2024 U.S. Championships (and how they qualified)" with Sectional placements added below by me:
Senior Ice Dance (15)
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville (bye)
Oona Brown and Gage Brown (bye)
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko (bye)
Madison Chock and Evan Bates (bye)
Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-2
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons (bye)
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker (bye)
Raffaella Koncius and Alexey Shchepetov (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-4
Klara Kowar and Thomas Schwappach (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-5
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-3
Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov (bye)
Cara Murphy and Joshua Levitt (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-6
Eva Pate and Logan Bye (bye)
Katarina Wolfkostin and Dimitry Tsarevski (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-1
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik (bye)

Junior Ice Dance (12)
Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-7
Amy Cui and Kenny Eckert (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-6
Julia Epps and Blake Gilman (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-9
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-1
Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-4
Sylvia Li and Rowan Le Coq (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-10
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-3
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov (bye)
Eliana Peal and Ethan Peal (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-2
Yahli Pedersen and Jeffrey Chen (bye)
Emily Renzi and William Lissauer (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-8
Grace Yi and Danila Savelev (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-5

Novice Ice Dance (5)
Jasmine Robertson and Cooper Cornwell (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N1
Anaelle Kouevi and Yann Homawoo (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N2
Michelle Deych and Ryan Hu (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N3
Ja Yi Kirwan and Drake Tong (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N4
Clara Fugate and Warren Fugate (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N5

Note: USFS has yet to announce their 2024 Youth Olympic Games team (selection criterion is highest NQS score of the YOG age-eligible skaters in each discipline) and [the ice dance team] is expected to be ... Olivia Ilin/Dylan Cain ... and Ilin/Cain (Dance Final 4th place pewter medalists) would miss 2024 Nationals if they are confirmed to be going to YOG in South Korea.
Once named, their alternates to Nationals would be: ... Zoe Cialella/David Goldshteyn (11th in Junior at the Ice Dance Final).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Isabella Flores/Ivan Desyatov are confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page as of yesterday (11/20/23) for their international debut at CS Golden Spin of Zagreb, along with Zingas/Kolesnik (their 2nd CS after Nepela).
I would love it if USFS sent 2-3 teams to Golden Skate to get a little more international exposure this season

ETA:

Ice-Dance.com's Juvenile to Senior photos from last week's Final in Bloomington, Minnesota:

Last edited:

pixie cut

Copying over from the U.S. National Qualifying info thread in GSD:

Senior Ice Dance (15)
Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville (bye)
Oona Brown and Gage Brown (bye)
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko (bye)
Madison Chock and Evan Bates (bye)
Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-2
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons (bye)
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker (bye)
Raffaella Koncius and Alexey Shchepetov (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-4
Klara Kowar and Thomas Schwappach (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-5
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-3
Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov (bye)
Cara Murphy and Joshua Levitt (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-6
Eva Pate and Logan Bye (bye)
Katarina Wolfkostin and Dimitry Tsarevski (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-1
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik (bye)

Junior Ice Dance (12)
Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-7
Amy Cui and Kenny Eckert (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-6
Julia Epps and Blake Gilman (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-9
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-1
Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-4
Sylvia Li and Rowan Le Coq (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-10
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-3
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov (bye)
Eliana Peal and Ethan Peal (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-2
Yahli Pedersen and Jeffrey Chen (bye)
Emily Renzi and William Lissauer (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-8
Grace Yi and Danila Savelev (U.S. Ice Dance Final) DF-5

Novice Ice Dance (5)
Jasmine Robertson and Cooper Cornwell (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N1
Anaelle Kouevi and Yann Homawoo (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N2
Michelle Deych and Ryan Hu (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N3
Ja Yi Kirwan and Drake Tong (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N4
Clara Fugate and Warren Fugate (U.S. Ice Dance Final) N5

Note: USFS has yet to announce their 2024 Youth Olympic Games team (selection criterion is highest NQS score of the YOG age-eligible skaters in each discipline) and [the ice dance team] is expected to be ... Olivia Ilin/Dylan Cain ... and Ilin/Cain (Dance Final 4th place pewter medalists) would miss 2024 Nationals if they are confirmed to be going to YOG in South Korea.
Once named, their alternates to Nationals would be: ... Zoe Cialella/David Goldshteyn (11th in Junior at the Ice Dance Final).
There is going to be a novice dance event? When was that announced? Total news.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Finally an update on Carhart/Horovyi, for those of us who've been wondering where they are:

Reigning U.S. Junior silver medalists, Helena Carhart & Volodmyr Horovyi train in Estero, Florida at the International Skating Academy. This season the team competed only at the Lake Placid Ice Dance International (LPIDI) prior to withdrawing from their two ISU Junior Grand Prix assignments.

“Vova and I have been injured and haven’t been able to compete this season. It has been devastating for us, but we have become stronger as a team because of it. We are working to come back stronger than ever as soon as we can. We have had to travel for Vova’s paper work and continue to train despite it not being full force.”

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I know, don't compare scores across competitions, but ... I found it interesting that Neset/Markelov at JGPF were .01 ahead of Flores/Desyatov at Golden Spin. :)

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
Madison shared a wonderful explanation of their FD costumes on her IG today -

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information