#TeamTrainwreck 22: Every dark cloud has a pewter lining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I remember this -- it was an early "concept video" of Phantom, when ALW was still working on the score. Harley wanted to play the Phantom in the actual show, but Michael Crawford got it instead. Thank God for small favors. :lol:

J

Jeschke

This showed up in my recommended playlist today (I blame shazaming Ryabova during Worlds), so let's debut with this, shall we?

Why doesn't anyone ever use this batshit version of Phantom? Think of the MEEPOTS possibilities with the crazy shrieking and semi-demented voiceovers! :drama: Paging Galustyan...
This is too good!
You would rock that bridal dress!
Costume change inclusive!

Seriously, tag Galustyan!

S

SmallFairy

This showed up in my recommended playlist today (I blame shazaming Ryabova during Worlds), so let's debut with this, shall we?

Why doesn't anyone ever use this batshit version of Phantom? Think of the MEEPOTS possibilities with the crazy shrieking and semi-demented voiceovers! :drama: Paging Galustyan...
Semi-demented voiceovers :rofl:

mjb52

Wow, that holds up pretty well for '80s ice dance. So strange to hear Judy B talking about how using classical music could be a disadvantage. Of course I remember those days but they are so far in the past that you sort of forget in the moment when seeing the debates about contemporary ice dance.

Anyway, this was all sparked by my idly browsing through Russian skating instagram so here is Jon's birthday picture for you to make up for more #interloper discussion (does this count as interloper discussion?): https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLaPeHps63/

3T3T

It will be interesting to see what Leonova will do for both Ladies. I’m not sure I see her being a good fit for Gubanova, I really like her style currently but I look forward to see what she will produce

On the other hand, with Talalaikina it sounds like a match made in heaven. Her on-ice presence is similar to Leonova and I always thought Leonova could skate her programmes. Her Maelificient is one of my favourite programmes this season, she gives the programme 100%. I love the choreographed laugh.

SamuraiK

Leonova choreographed new SP for Talalaikina and new LP for Gubanova
Gubanova still continuing?? Woww I cant not even remember last time I saw her.. She's not even Suguri/Leonova who at least got out of their countries and grabbed some hardware while they could. She's more like Menshov, waiting for to be old (in skating terms) and all the others to retire to finally get some relevant assignments.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Gubanova still continuing?? Woww I cant not even remember last time I saw her.. She's not even Suguri/Leonova who at least got out of their countries and grabbed some hardware while they could. She's more like Menshov, waiting for to be old (in skating terms) and all the others to retire to finally get some relevant assignments.
She didn't compete at all last year except for some local competitions in St. Petersburg. She didn't do the Russian Cup series and none of the Russians did any of the smaller challenger series. She didn't get an invite to Nationals since she didn't do the RC series. :(

Vagabond

It will be interesting to see what Leonova will do for both Ladies. I’m not sure I see her being a good fit for Gubanova, I really like her style currently but I look forward to see what she will produce

Gubanova still continuing?? Woww I cant not even remember last time I saw her.. She's not even Suguri/Leonova who at least got out of their countries and grabbed some hardware while they could.
It sounds to me that Leonova and Gubanova will be perfect for each other.

Panin Memorial 🥇 is in the future for one or the other of them, if not both!

:watch:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I didn't realize Jon's mom skated with Gorsha Sur!

Yep, and got left high and dry when Gorsha defected to the US with Shpilband in the middle of the Torvill and Dean US tour they were on.
So that kinda destroyed Jon's mum's skating career.
I loved hearing all of the story.
I'd always imagined that Russian defectors got some kind of US state help, but it seems they had to find their own way to survive in the US.

Vagabond

I'd always imagined that Russian defectors got some kind of US state help, but it seems they had to find their own way to survive in the US.
Someone who defected without a spouse or children would have been treated as a refugee and given Supplemental Security Income and Medicare if appropriate. I expect that Gorsha Sur got that for a short time before he was able to earn an income.

Defectors who had :sekret: intelligence usually got much more help than that.

mjb52

I read a great article about this last night, let me see if I can dig the link up because it was interesting.

eta: not the one I remember reading, but still gives some info, though more focused on the Roca/Sur partnership: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-01-19-sp-1563-story.html - it looks like there's a good 1993 article in The NY Times but I hit a paywall for it.

Last edited:

Vagabond

it looks like there's a good 1993 article in The NY Times but I hit a paywall for it.

In late January 1990, Sur had just completed a monthlong tour of the United States with ice dancers Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean and a troupe called the Russian All-Stars. The Russians had come to New York for three days before returning to Moscow, Sur's hometown. For two weeks, Sur and four friends had talked quietly of staying behind. He wanted to become a coach, and there seemed to be more opportunities here, just as there was more freedom. And Sur had grown tired of K.G.B. whispers that he should play "I Spy" on his fellow skaters.

"If I turned them down too many times, I would be considered untrustful, and it was possible that I wouldn't be allowed to travel," Sur said. With no underground railroad to freedom, Sur settled on the New Jersey Turnpike. There were panicked phone calls, threats from the Russian tour manager, a late-night meeting with the F.B.I. in a motel outside the Lincoln Tunnel. Sur and another Russian ice dancer, Yelena Krykanova, requested political asylum and filled out the paperwork of escape. The next morning, they moved in with Russian immigrants in Brooklyn, joined by two more Russian skaters and a tour official. Eventually, the five defectors pooled their money, rented a one-bedroom apartment and furnished it with street smarts.

"The immigrants told us when garbage day was, and we found whatever people threw out," Sur said.

After a month, his money supply exhausted, Sur began sizing up his job prospects. What kind of job would accommodate the peculiar skills of limited English and expert ice dancing? Dishwashing, he decided quickly and none too happily. A career of nimble feet was about to descend into one of dishpan hands. Just in time, American friends put Sur in touch with the Detroit Skating Club, which offered a coaching job and housing, and with Roca, who had won the 1986 national championship in dance.
Dishpan hands?! :eek:

He could have used Palmolive, but taking the job in Detroit was probably the better option.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

Dishpan hands?! :eek:

He could have used Palmolive, but taking the job in Detroit was probably the better option.
Yep, that is the story I heard, that they all ended up in a one bed flat with no money and tempers got frayed.
Can't have been what they'd expected to happen when defecting.
Really tough that they had to leave with few personal belongings too, as taking bags would've aroused the suspicion of the K.G.B who were monitoring them, though by this point the monitoring was a lot more lax than earlier days in the USSR era.

Yehudi

AITA

I’ve had this on CD for 30 some odd years. I always preferred this version...

:shuffle:

S

SmallFairy

La Tuk is both Boss and SuperWoman (according to this award, but we already knew) and she wants all of us girls to feel like real BOSS woman too💪🏻

S

SmallFairy

Since my contributions are appreciated...This photographer has shot both Eremenko AND Smirnov (IG-posing buddies for life they for sure are), and lots of other hot guys, and girls too!

J

Jeschke

Having done a bit of the MEEPOTS shortlist work right now.
While this is Galiamov's to lose, we have an awesome race:
Mukhortova/Evgeniev, Kayne/O'Shea, Taljegard, Selevko,... are giving him a run for his money.
Stay tuned :watch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information