#TeamTrainwreck 22: Every dark cloud has a pewter lining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
She's still eligible, though.

Rather bizarrely, her Worlds results (4th, WD, 4th) are better than her Four Continents results (12th, 12th, 7th), and even her Grand Prix Results (4th once but otherwise between 5th and 9th). That's trainwrecky.

:watch:
Oh, yeah. She and Camden are a perfect pair of #TTW potential.

mackiecat

Great britian dance team Fear/Waddel. Not sure why people think Nam is more Consistent , Roman keeps beating him

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Great britian dance team Fear/Waddel. Not sure why people think Nam is more Consistent , Roman keeps beating him
Because Nam doesn't typically bomb. And I'm not sure if you missed 4CC last year after Roman won Nationals, but that's what inconsistency is ;)

Sadovsky has endless potential and he has a National title, but I wouldn't put any weight on Challenge skates as a basis for anything. They were not in competition mode, neither man even needed to compete in Challenge as they were qualified to Nationals anyways, so there really wasn't any pressure on them. We won't ever know what happened with monitoring, but Messing proved to be best there.

Colonel Green

Nam is a nice steady baseline at this point; he's only had two genuinely bad segments in the past two seasons (2019 Nebelhorn short program, 2020 nationals free skate). It's just that his ceiling is the lowest among the top three Canadian guys, so when Roman is on he will beat him.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The thing to remember about Nebelhorn is that it isn't necessarily about who has the highest TES potential but about making sure the skater you send is going to finish high enough to confirm that second spot. You're going to apply the same methodology/thought process to the Nebelhorn selection as you did to the Worlds selection - go for the most consistent skater. Keegan was, clearly, the right choice. And, I would bet that Nguyen gets the nod for Nebelhorn because, as others have pointed out, he has much less potential for completely bombing than Sadovsky. These guys don't need the same amount of quad firepower for Nebelhorn as they need to get into the top 10 at Worlds.

Colonel Green

So, a year later, the biggest losers of the cancellation of 2020 Worlds:

Men: Aliev? The men are so up and down, I don't know if there is a clear loser here, the only two people guaranteed to podium at 2020 Worlds still did so in 2021.
Ladies: Kostornaia "wins" this in a walk;
Pairs: Boikova/Kozlovskii, I guess? Even if they hadn't beaten Sui/Han, they were shaping up to be coronated as the top Russian pair. They still got a medal at least, unlike the others listed here.
Dance: Chock/Bates, sigh. And maybe P/C too, since they lost the chance to mount a title defense.

The biggest winners:

Men: Yuma Kagiyama, and to a lesser extent Kolyada and Messing, all of whom weren't going to be there, and used the opportunity to establish or re-establish themselves in the pecking order.
Ladies: Tuktamysheva, easily.
Pairs: Mishina/Galliamov, what a difference a year makes.
Dance: Hubbell/Donohue, Gilles/Poirier (it feels very weird to say they're winners out of having their home Worlds cancelled, but it seems like they are)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My ups and downs from Worlds
Best KnC: Yuma and Tuk (her happy tears were too much)
Josefin Taljegard having her Helgesson Sister comp even if she didn't have a huge home crowd
Russian ladies: I love them all. Anna for her killer instinct, Tuk for just being herself, and Sasha's fighting spirit (if she goes to China and the fed opts not to let her skate in the team event, I'm saying now, she'll do a Sotnikova and grab herself an OGM)
Russian pairs : the good Mishina's revenge against Mirzoev is so, so sweet.
Nathan

Downs
Russian pairs: the not so good (I love T/M and I can see Daria P saying, if you'd just sent me!)
Snakegirl. Alas. Come back with revenge Chock. Get an even better costume and program and slay next season!

SamuraiK

So, a year later, the biggest losers of the cancellation of 2020 Worlds:

Men: Aliev? The men are so up and down, I don't know if there is a clear loser here, the only two people guaranteed to podium at 2020 Worlds still did so in 2021.
Ladies: Kostornaia "wins" this in a walk;
Pairs: Boikova/Kozlovskii, I guess? Even if they hadn't beaten Sui/Han, they were shaping up to be coronated as the top Russian pair. They still got a medal at least, unlike the others listed here.
Dance: Chock/Bates, sigh. And maybe P/C too, since they lost the chance to mount a title defense.

The biggest winners:

Men: Yuma Kagiyama, and to a lesser extent Kolyada and Messing, all of whom weren't going to be there, and used the opportunity to establish or re-establish themselves in the pecking order.
Ladies: Tuktamysheva, easily.
Pairs: Mishina/Galliamov, what a difference a year makes.
Dance: Hubbell/Donohue, Gilles/Poirier (it feels very weird to say they're winners out of having their home Worlds cancelled, but it seems like they are)

Aliev has gone from Euro champ and clear RUS #1 to just a another of the headcase/inconsistent pack. He can still make it to Beijing like he did against the oods in 2018 but yeah he's the biggest loser in the Mens side.
And of course Han Yan :(

Kostornaya future looks grim at the moment but who knows..
Mariah Bell has also seems to lost all her momentum

In Pairs Pavliuvhenko & Kkhodikyn

Dance.. probably P&C. The WD was strategic but I dont think it really work with their biggest rivals now Reignign World Champs.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Khuda is walking hard in LaTuk‘s footsteps :glamor:

NAOTMAA

Well this season Aliev wasn’t just a headcase who couldn’t put two successful seasons back to back. He was injured before the season even started (was he the fool who got hurt playing basketball? I don’t remember who that was :lol:) and then got a real bad case of COVID. He probably didn’t even have two solid weeks of practice all season long. Poor guy:drama:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbedand if Rylov splits with Panfilova, I'm never watching pairs again. Unless he skates with Daria and I'll do it through tears.. Russian pair skating be death to one's soul.

Well, according to their coach, they didn't split, but Daria is recovering from mono which can take months. :(

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And, while I agree that Kolyada and Semenenko deserve the right to make some money at WTT, the #staminaboys better clue in to what the Fed is telling them. And, it is going to be interesting to see who they send to Nebelhorn as he is likely the one they are giving an early opportunity to get the nod for the Olympic team (I've no doubt any of them can skate well enough to get the placement--they're all capable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information