Stockholm Worlds 2021 Update

Evilynn

((Swedish skating dudes))
Looks like they've closed off the uppermost tier again (which is probably a good thing). I think I was in A26 for Euros, and got a damned guardrail right in my line of vision. :lol: 12600 is a bit steep, I guess that is what I'll go for since I don't have to pay for travel and housing.

When I was trawling the web to try to find an indication of the prices earlier, I came across a meeting document where the profit Skate Sweden were hoping for were... Let's say optimistic. I guess that might explain the premium tier.

Right now (since April) gatherings of more than 50 people are banned in Sweden anyway, so I don't know what kind of 'rona measures they're aiming for by selling half the tickets.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Right now (since April) gatherings of more than 50 people are banned in Sweden anyway, so I don't know what kind of 'rona measures they're aiming for by selling half the tickets.
I've been assuming they are working with local government and either have permission for this event or that the government gave them some kind of sign that it would most likely be able to happen by next March. Maybe that's naive of me.

whiteskates

I think I was in A26 for Euros, and got a damned guardrail right in my line of vision. :lol:

That happened to me as well. It was quite irritating. I was so happy to have a first row ticket at Euros but had problems withthe rail so avoid first row (marked row 3 I think) at this arena! It probably won't be a problem if you're tall but if you're tiny like I am, it is disturbing.

Miezekatze

I've been assuming they are working with local government and either have permission for this event or that the government gave them some kind of sign that it would most likely be able to happen by next March. Maybe that's naive of me.

I just read an article (in German) that the Swedish government - due to the heavy impact on culture and sports - is currently looking into exceptions for the 50 spectator rule for events with seated spectators in general (for after October 2020).

I find it a bit funny that Sweden is still being ragged on for having those very light restrictions, but by now their event rules are much much stricter than most of the rest of Europe, doesn't seem entirely fair (the criticism, not the rules, they might sitll make sense of course). In middle/eastern Europe numbers around 1000 or even higher for events are not uncommon.

Evilynn

I just read an article (in German) that the Swedish government - due to the heavy impact on culture and sports - is currently looking into exceptions for the 50 spectator rule for events with seated spectators in general (for after October 2020).

I find it a bit funny that Sweden is still being ragged on for having those very light restrictions, but by now their event rules are much much stricter than most of the rest of Europe, doesn't seem entirely fair (the criticism, not the rules, they might sitll make sense of course). In middle/eastern Europe numbers around 1000 or even higher for events are not uncommon.

Yeah, they think they'll reach some kind of new limit by October 1st. The general guidelines says 2 m distance, so that'd mean they'd have to leave every other row empty, and keep empty seats between parties, but I also think it depends a lot on whether there's a vaccine etc

Sweden has had the same restrictions all along, so we were quite hard hit early on, but have been plateauing since May, while other countries started out much stricter and then opened up more. Hard to say which approach works better until a couple of years from now, when we can look at the overall mortality rates for the whole span of the pandemic, but it was said from the beginning that this is a level we should be able to tolerate for 1-2 years.

Stockholm on its own can't do anything about the 50 ppl limit, it is one of the few things about the Swedish restrictions that is actually currently a law.

Evilynn

That happened to me as well. It was quite irritating. I was so happy to have a first row ticket at Euros but had problems withthe rail so avoid first row (marked row 3 I think) at this arena! It probably won't be a problem if you're tall but if you're tiny like I am, it is disturbing.

I found my old etickets, and I was in A9 row 3. I think row 4 would've been fine, and I'm also short (160 cm/5'3), so it might be less of a problem for taller people (probably estimated for the average Swedish male at 180 cm or so)

whiteskates

New information: The tickets will not go on sale on Tuesday. The organisers will wait and see what the goverment decides regarding sports events with more than fifty spectators. A decision will be made within the next few weeks and then we will get new information about ticket sales.

mattiecat13

Glad to hear this. My friend and I were going to purchase tickets on Tuesday but I feel it’s better to wait for a couple of more months and hope the situation becomes clearer.

carriecmu0503

I guess we will find out when the seating plans are released whether there are going to be any social distancing measures in the arena.

You mean physical distancing? The term social distancing is the most ridiculous term ever. When people say keep your social distance, they mean keep physical distance. You can be sitting on top of somebody but be very socially distant from them.

Japanfan

You mean physical distancing? The term social distancing is the most ridiculous term ever. When people say keep your social distance, they mean keep physical distance. You can be sitting on top of somebody but be very socially distant from them.

But the term has stuck. Canada's Prime Minister tried to use 'physical distancing' as an alternative, but the public didn't go with it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But the term has stuck. Canada's Prime Minister tried to use 'physical distancing' as an alternative, but the public didn't go with it.
I believe social distancing is the term epidemiologist use. So that makes it the technically correct term. :D Our governor also keeps trying to make physical distancing happen but it hasn't really caught on.

carriecmu0503

Socially distant is absolutely not technically correct in any way, shape, or form. Not in the way they mean it. They absolutely mean keep 6 feet a physical distance from the person nearest you. Being socially distant with someone means not talking to someone, not looking at them, etc. Again, you could be sitting in someone’s lap and be socially distant from them. Whatever epidemiologist came up with the term social distancing for keeping 6 feet away from somebody was absolutely not using his or her head! Physical distancing is absolutely correct! Keep your physical distance, not your social distance🙄. Think about it. When you’re talking to somebody on FaceTime or zoom, are you socially distant from them? No, you’re physically distant from them!

reut

Evilynn

The current suggestion from the Swedish health ministry is max 500 people and 1 meter between them to start out with, and revise this as we see how the pandemic goes during the autumn.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Looks like they've closed off the uppermost tier again (which is probably a good thing). I think I was in A26 for Euros, and got a damned guardrail right in my line of vision. :lol: 12600 is a bit steep, I guess that is what I'll go for since I don't have to pay for travel and housing.

I remember when I attended the 2006 World Championships in Calgary.
My assigned ticked was right beside a gigantic black pull curtain. I literally had no vision or seat, and constantly had to push the damn thing to stop it from eating me alive.

The box office didn't seem to care, but fortunately, I met some lovely people who took pity on me and I sat with them for the entire competition.

Carolla5501

Reading Hanyu's press statements on why he won't compete at the GrandPrix I wonder if he would compete here. It sounds like he has no real plans to return to Brian in Canada and I doubt his medical concerns will be alleviated by the time of worlds. He may just sit this season out. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea and would let his body heal.

Miezekatze

Reading Hanyu's press statements on why he won't compete at the GrandPrix I wonder if he would compete here. It sounds like he has no real plans to return to Brian in Canada and I doubt his medical concerns will be alleviated by the time of worlds. He may just sit this season out. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea and would let his body heal.

That gives me fantasies of buying last minute affordable tickets in February :shuffle: :lol:
(affordable tickets would also mean I wouldn't mind if the atmosphere is strange because there's only 1/3 audience allowed or something).

(ETA: I like Hanyu, but it seems sensible for him to put his health first, so good for him).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information