Stockholm Worlds 2021 Update

jkl

I received an email from the Worlds 2021 Organizing Committee this morning. Tickets will no longer go on sale in May due to the World situation. They are hoping for a “mid 2020” release date.

litenkyckling

I was so looking forward to buying tickets for this especially because it's my favourite city but i just can't confidently spent such a substantial amount of money on tickets because:

a) This is the refund policy: "Tickets are not refundable. There will be no exceptions to this policy. The event schedule and the competing athletes are always subject to change."
b) Sweden currently has incredibly high numbers of Covid-19 - if there isn't a vaccine by then I think it would be risky and I wouldn't be able to get a further 2 weeks off work after to self-isolate.
c) Worst economic situation of our lifetimes, I just don't feel I should spend that kind of money just now on such a risky event.

If there is still tickets left in the new year when we have a better idea of what will happen, then I will still try to go but currently - its just not something I feel comfortable doing.

ninalovesskating

I was so looking forward to buying tickets for this especially because it's my favourite city but i just can't confidently spent such a substantial amount of money on tickets because:

a) This is the refund policy: "Tickets are not refundable. There will be no exceptions to this policy. The event schedule and the competing athletes are always subject to change."
b) Sweden currently has incredibly high numbers of *********-19 - if there isn't a vaccine by then I think it would be risky and I wouldn't be able to get a further 2 weeks off work after to self-isolate.
c) Worst economic situation of our lifetimes, I just don't feel I should spend that kind of money just now on such a risky event.

If there is still tickets left in the new year when we have a better idea of what will happen, then I will still try to go but currently - its just not something I feel comfortable doing.
Not refundable? :eek:

Lizziebeth

I don't think these kind of tickets are ever refundable, so no different than usual.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I imagine the organizing committee needs to spend the $$$ from ticket sales to get going with its preparations, thus the "no refunds ever" policy. But given the current state of things, asking people to shell out a year in advance for non-refundable tickets seems like it would discourage rather than encourage ticket sales.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not sure where a non-refundable ever policy would be legal if an event isn't held, but EU Consumer Protection law is formidable.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I think that that refund policy will turn a lot of potential ticket-buyers off alone. We don't even know what the world will be like in two months, let alone in eight. No-one's going to commit to buying tickets to an event they don't even know will go ahead, in a place renowned for its poor handling of the 'rona...and there's the little problem of some countries not even letting their citizens leave internationally, let alone the fact that some countries will likely be banned from entering other countries for a very long time.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I'm not sure where a non-refundable ever policy would be legal if an event isn't held, but EU Consumer Protection law is formidable.
Based on this website alone it looks like they can say it is non-refundable. You are going into the situation knowing the conditions of the World so I guess it makes sense. It also makes sense for no one should buy any tickets. lol

EU Commission

I can't link it properly because it has ****** on it because of the boards filters but you can find it on google. Just search eu nonrefundable event ticket. It should be the first result.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Based on this website alone it looks like they can say it is non-refundable. You are going into the situation knowing the conditions of the World so I guess it makes sense. It also makes sense for no one should buy any tickets. lol
They can say what they want. While the first bullet point states that EU law does not address this directly, and the second says that it is up to national contract law, the third states that an EU directive could interpret insisting on a non-refundable policy as an unfair contract term that is not binding:

According to the Unfair Contract Terms Directive 93/13/EEC , standard contract terms used by traders have to be transparent and may not unfairly limit the rights of consumers under the relevant national contract law or create a significant imbalance between the rights and obligations of the parties to the detriment of the consumer. Therefore, any term that would oblige consumers to bear the cost of the ticket for an event they cannot attend -because it was cancelled or postponed due to the [YKW] outbreak- could be considered unfair under the Unfair Contract Terms Directive 93/13/EEC and therefore non- binding on consumers.

and it goes on to describe to whom to start an escalation (European Consumer Centre) and also suggests looking at whether you can file a chargeback through your credit card company.

This is not the case where you bought tickets to an event that takes place with audience, but because of YKW you can't travel to it: it's the cancellation/postponement of the event due to YKW.

I wouldn't lend them money for something that is unlikely I could attend, even if it were held, but then I don't really care much about where I sit in an arena, as long as it's full view.

D

Deleted member 221

I agree with @kwanfan1818 that the organizing committee would have to refund tickets under EU law if the event were to be cancelled or take place without an audience.

That said, I do not think the organizing committee is under any obligation to refund tickets for people who cannot travel due to either Swedish/EU or third-country border restrictions. If, say, an American or Brazilian is either forbidden from going or forbidden from coming, the organizing committee would not have any responsibility to refund the ticket. They'd probably point the consumer to travel insurance, which likely wouldn't cover anything due to the plans being made after the pandemic and with a travel ban in effect.

The biggest risk, as I see it, is that the event goes ahead but you cannot or do not want to go. You'll have little to no recourse to get money back in that instance.

My advice would be to find refundable (with a voucher) airfare and accommodations, and to buy tickets at the last minute. There are always last-minute tickets.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Anyone who buys a ticket when they first go on sale is a fool, and if they can't get a refund I won't have much sympathy.

starrynight

I imagine the organizing committee needs to spend the $$$ from ticket sales to get going with its preparations, thus the "no refunds ever" policy. But given the current state of things, asking people to shell out a year in advance for non-refundable tickets seems like it would discourage rather than encourage ticket sales.

Yes, they'd be trying to get money into the coffers to fund all the purchases of equipment, hire deposits, salaries etc needed to stage this event.

That said, I do not think the organizing committee is under any obligation to refund tickets for people who cannot travel due to either Swedish/EU or third-country border restrictions.

I agree. The real risk is that this event could be held in Sweden, but travel restrictions from other countries will stop a great deal of spectators going (and maybe even athletes) and this will still entitle them to keep ticket monies.

My recommendations would be to just book it all at the last minute if things seem better at the start of 2021. The potential for disappointment and stress just seems too high to try to do anything in advance.

Orm Irian

Another point to consider: I can't track down the link at the moment, but I do remember reading somewhere - in the context of the the enormous insurance payout Wimbledon just got - that what sporting events are being held at the moment can't get insurance cover for communicable disease, and probably won't be able to again until a) a vaccine is available and b) a vaccination program is well underway worldwide. That adds to the level of financial as well as health risks from the event organisers' perspective, on top of the border closures issue meaning a potential lack of drawcard skaters.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Unless you can take 5-6 weeks off for a maybe/might happen event, and can afford to forfeit ticket costs, I wouldn't buy any tickets.
A 2 week quarantine before and after event in a hotel room (much smaller space than I could handle for 24 hours let alone 14 days) and a might have fans in the arena is just not worth first ticket purchase.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Unless you can take 5-6 weeks off for a maybe/might happen event, and can afford to forfeit ticket costs, I wouldn't buy any tickets.
A 2 week quarantine before and after event in a hotel room (much smaller space than I could handle for 24 hours let alone 14 days) and a might have fans in the arena is just not worth first ticket purchase.
I've been thinking about this and I think by then more test would be available so you could take one as soon as you got off the plane and and then only would have to quarantine until the results came back.

I got this idea because I read somewhere that someone was quarantining "until their test results came back."

starrynight

I've been thinking about this and I think by then more test would be available so you could take one as soon as you got off the plane and and then only would have to quarantine until the results came back.

I got this idea because I read somewhere that someone was quarantining "until their test results came back."

It'd be a bit awkward if the test came back positive though... that would then be weeks of quarantine in a hotel at ones own expense, ticket forfeited, stuck in a foreign country etc etc even if one is asymptomatic.

It may be that even if there is an audience that it is the kind of event that suits attendees from close by in Europe, so there isn't the factor and uncertainty of long haul international flights.

The whole thing sounds stressful and scary to me. I think that if Worlds proceeds, a little holiday to a pleasant place nearby and watching Worlds on television/streaming sounds more enjoyable.

Last edited:
S

SmallFairy

I can’t believe they won’t refund if the event gets cancelled! That seems so unlikely that I mailed them and asked them about it. I hope they reply soon.
Please tell us what the reply is, when/if you get one.

D

Deleted member 221

Greece is already doing this, though still requiring some form of quarantine. They test you on arrival. You need to spend one night in a designated hotel (at your cost). If you're negative, you can leave the next day but need to self-quarantine for 14 days at your choice of accommodations. If you're positive, you need to continue to stay at the designated hotel.

whiteskates

Please tell us what the reply is, when/if you get one.

Of course! Will let you know the minute they reply (if they do). I also watch the local rona situation closely and will post about it. As of now the situation seems to be getting better. It varies a lot between areas and is a lot worse in the underprivelidged ones, at least that has been the case so far. There are very few cases in the inner city residential areas which is where the skating audience will be staying. Things may chance rapidly though and I will report about it. Anyway, I hope all will be well by March next year. If so, welcome to Stockholm!

Regretla

Greece is already doing this, though still requiring some form of quarantine. They test you on arrival. You need to spend one night in a designated hotel (at your cost). If you're negative, you can leave the next day but need to self-quarantine for 14 days at your choice of accommodations. If you're positive, you need to continue to stay at the designated hotel.
Things have slightly changed, basically they are changing all the time, now they are testing and until the results come out they should know where you are. After that you are free to go to your destination cause otherwise it would be impossible for people to go on their vacation. Of course there was a case with a tourist that broke the quarantine, and her test was positive and they were searching for her downtown Athens. Of course this happens depending on where the tourists come from.

Rock2

Glad to see people are thinking this through. On the organizing side they are probably depending on early ticket money coming in to finance some of the organizing costs.

On the buying side, absolutely must understand details of how refunds happen if the event cancels or if you cancel due to fears/uncertainty (although on that latter part you are probs SOL). This includes knowing when refunds would be issued.

Miezekatze

I can't imagine (many) people are going to buy expensive all event tickets in August? Except maybe some crazy Fanyus :lol: ?

I'd still like to go if the event goes forward, but we'll wait till November definitely and decide as short term as possible. I can't imagine the event will be sold out quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information