Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
My friend's teenage son recommended Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit. If you love cats, you must watch this. So fun.

I watched it after Adam Rippon Insta-storied it in dramatic fashion, and it didn’t let me down.

It’s not on any streaming channels anymore, but Best In Show is about 20 years old now and it’s a comedy tackling the behind the scenes world of a dog show— very similar to Catwalk but fiction. And it stars Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy, who are making big waves with Schitt’s Creek.

Miezekatze

I'm finished with Sex Education now and will also try Russian Doll (which irritatingly has a different title on German Netflix, so it took me some time to figure out we're thinking of the same series) next, I love Natasha Lyonne :cheer2:

starrynight

I watched it after Adam Rippon Insta-storied it in dramatic fashion, and it didn’t let me down.

It’s not on any streaming channels anymore, but Best In Show is about 20 years old now and it’s a comedy tackling the behind the scenes world of a dog show— very similar to Catwalk but fiction. And it stars Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy, who are making big waves with Schitt’s Creek.

I LOVE Schitt's Creek - I just wish that it came out on Netflix in the rest of the world at the same time as it goes on air in North America. I hope the 4th season is good because I actually thought that season 3 was the best season so far (which is great when a show actually gets better as it goes on).

As for Best in Show, it makes me laugh for a really random reason because I remember that it got shown at a movie night at my very religious high school and the teacher who put it on didn't bother to vet it first and there was subsequent scandal from the powers that be about some of the *themes* in it. lol. I can't even remember what the fuss was actually about now. :lol:

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
My friend's teenage son recommended Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit. If you love cats, you must watch this. So fun.

Also he recommended Animal Airport. Amazing tales from Heathrow. I hear transporting animals via or to the UK is very hard.
I love anything to do with animals! :)

Both of these seem to be unavailable on Netflix Canada, but for Canadian viewers, it looks like you can actually watch Catwalk on CBC. Very eager to check it out, as I also loved Best in Show.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Both of these seem to be unavailable on Netflix Canada, but for Canadian viewers, it looks like you can actually watch Catwalk on CBC. Very eager to check it out, as I also loved Best in Show.
The competition really reminded me of figure skating. :lol:

mjb52

I finished watching Counterpart this past weekend and just want to highly recommend it again. It is sort of reminiscent of Fringe, but (I think) even better, just superlative acting, and incredible journeys (even though I generally hate that word) for the characters. A few very violent scenes, which I generally don't like, but I mostly just sort of blocked my face with my arm for those parts, and it was pretty easy to tell from the sounds when they were over. You can tell from the little warnings before each episode what you're in for.

IceAlisa

This hardly seems fair because it has to do with Canadian cat shows.

Japanfan

:D:D:D

So very funny, because the :cat:really don't care at all one way or the other when it comes to winning titles in show!

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Loved Russian Doll! Natasha Lyonne is fabulous. It’s a quick watch; watched it all in one day when I was home sick.
Have watched the first 5 episodes of this tonight. Really enjoying it. Love Natasha Lyonne. I do like that the episodes are less than 1/2 hour each.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
This hardly seems fair because it has to do with Canadian cat shows.
I think it's because it is actually a CBC production - it's part of their "Docs POV" series. So for Canadians, it's available on CBC rather than on Netflix.

(I actually watched it last night. I thought Bobby was the cutest cat, but his owner is such a stage mom! :lol: )

Lynn226

There's a new series on Netflix called Losers which tells the stories of athletes who have suffered major losses in their careers. One of the episodes tells the story of Surya Bonaly and includes new interview footage. Scott Hamilton and Tara Lipinski also appear as expert commentators. I think the program provides a balanced view of her career and Scott and Tara had positive things to say about Surya.

ETA: Her episode is called Judgement. I wasn't able to provide a direct link.

IceAlisa

Yeah OK, I am the resident cat lady here. There is another great documentary on Netflix called The Lion In Your Living Room, all about domestic cats. I thought I knew a lot but there were definitely things new to me. And lots of cute cats, of course. :cat: :cat:

gk_891

I saw The Apostle on netflix. Started off very well (very creepy and atmospheric) but the second half became very hokey.

TheGirlCanSkate

There's a new series on Netflix called Losers which tells the stories of athletes who have suffered major losses in their careers. One of the episodes tells the story of Surya Bonaly and includes new interview footage. Scott Hamilton and Tara Lipinski also appear as expert commentators. I think the program provides a balanced view of her career and Scott and Tara had positive things to say about Surya.

ETA: Her episode is called Judgement. I wasn't able to provide a direct link.
I watched that episode last night. I specifically liked the explanation about how people talk about athletes who don't fit a perceived idea of what that athlete should look like. At one time I might have felt the medal removal was shocking, now I only feel for the young girl who was really placed in an impossible situation.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I've been seeing commercials for a new show on Prime called Widow (I think the lead actress is Kate Beckinsale) and thought it looked interesting. Has anyone checked it out yet?

Very interested in seeing that show on Netflix about Surya Bonaly. Thanks for the info about that one! I would have missed it otherwise. :)

Miezekatze

I watched the Netflix episode about Surya and really enjoyed it. I also thought it gave a very balanced overview of her career and it gave me lots of insight why she acted as she did. She seemed a bit lost in her career and maybe missing outside input due to being coached by her mom all the time. Her fiancee seems really nice and I like the little peaks into her current life at the end.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I've been seeing commercials for a new show on Prime called Widow (I think the lead actress is Kate Beckinsale) and thought it looked interesting. Has anyone checked it out yet?

Very interested in seeing that show on Netflix about Surya Bonaly. Thanks for the info about that one! I would have missed it otherwise. :)

We watched the first episode of "The Widow" and we liked it. I never thought much about Kate Beckinsale as an actress but she does an excellent job of the "person looking for the truth against all odds". I tend to like those kinds of political, kind of, intrigue shows. And Alex Kingston and Charles Dance have something to hide;)

I can almost see where it's going, but if it's well done and well acted, I don't care, and the first episode at least is. Of course, there are seven to go.....

dinakt

For anyone who wants to practice their French there are The Returned, Call My Agent on Netflix and The Bureau on Prime. Highly recommend them all although they are all very different.

Their titles in French are: Les Revenants, Dix pour cent, and Le bureau des légendes.The Bureau stars the trés hott monsieur Matthieu Kassovitz.

You can search Prime by language and can always Google more shows in your language of preference on Netflix

I loved ”Le Bureau”- will check out the others... There can never be too many great foreign shows.
Currently watching- and adoring!- “Shtisel”, an Israeli family saga about an ultra- Orthodox family in Jerusalem. It is on Netflix, and is just amazing, astute and relatable.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

We are watching Queen Sugar on Hulu. About a black family and their sugarcane farm in Louisiana, touching on the family's history and that of the whole region. We're midway through season 2, and it's getting better & better as it goes along. There's definitely an element of soapiness to the plots, but they keep that fairly well in check, and I find the whole premise pretty fascinating. The show was created by Ava DuVernay, director of 13th and A Wrinkle in Time.

text_skate

I started watching seceon season of Secret City, 3 eps. in. It's above average in writing, acting, storytelling. And in this case, I like Anna Torv.

First season is also very good. Not the average happy ending.

LeafOnTheWind

I just watched Shoplifters on Hulu and I recommend it. It was a very strange film in that the parents in this family are kidnappers. That sounds worse than it appears. This poor child is is so much better off with this misfit of a family than her blood family. They are not good people but they aren't bad people either and it is a nice mix of balancing the very flawed with the best that family can be.

smurfy

I watched Bodyguard on Netflix. The first 20 minutes of the first episode is one of the best openings of a show I have ever seen and the most intense. Love Richard Madden- he is amazing.
There are some other great tense scenes in the 6 episodes. The show has some flaws and the ending was rushed, but it was amazing. Great tense thriller

vgerdes

I watched Bodyguard on Netflix. The first 20 minutes of the first episode is one of the best openings of a show I have ever seen and the most intense. Love Richard Madden- he is amazing.
There are some other great tense scenes in the 6 episodes. The show has some flaws and the ending was rushed, but it was amazing. Great tense thriller

I enjoyed this one as well - and I agree that Richard Madden was excellent.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Yeah OK, I am the resident cat lady here. There is another great documentary on Netflix called The Lion In Your Living Room, all about domestic cats. I thought I knew a lot but there were definitely things new to me. And lots of cute cats, of course. :cat: :cat:

That was a great book.

I’m only starting to stream and binge watch. Invalidism has its privileges.

We made it thru all 65 episodes of A Place to Call Home, an Aussie melodrama set in the ‘50s. I’m embarrassed to report that I got very invested in those characters, it’s old-fashioned storytelling at its best.

The Widow otoh isn’t worth it. And Killing Eve is too violent for me.

IceAlisa

I loved ”Le Bureau”- will check out the others... There can never be too many great foreign shows.
Currently watching- and adoring!- “Shtisel”, an Israeli family saga about an ultra- Orthodox family in Jerusalem. It is on Netflix, and is just amazing, astute and relatable.
Started watching Shtisel and besides the Hebrew, am I hearing Yiddish when the older lady in the nursing home speaks? I don’t speak either but am very familiar with the sound of Yiddish. It’s a Jewish tradition for the grandparents to speak Yiddish when they don’t want the grandkids to understand ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information