Movie Awards Season 2018-19 Road to Oscar

VGThuy

Screen action and other things are also part of a screenplay, so maybe that's what they're rewarding? I have no idea how people analyze what's a good screenplay and not outside of dialogue.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This year I wouldn’t mind a tie between Bale and Malek for best actor. Both were fantastic, portraying real life characters (and Oscar loves real life character portrayals).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Screen action and other things are also part of a screenplay, so maybe that's what they're rewarding? I have no idea how people analyze what's a good screenplay and not outside of dialogue.

I attended a screenplay writing workshop many years ago, and my dream is to write a screenplay someday (whether the movie gets made or not :) ).
We studied the screenplay of Rainman in the workshop, but I don’t remember much.

To me, a screenplay is not just the dialogue. It includes the action, how the movie flows, how different scenes are connected, how quickly it pulls the audience in. The scenes should not be too long, and the movie should not be too long.

To me, a screenplay makes or breaks a movie because it is the base from which others work (actors, Director, editor, etc.).

Japanfan

I attended a screenplay writing workshop many years ago, and my dream is to write a screenplay someday (whether the movie gets made or not :) ).
We studied the screenplay of Rainman in the workshop, but I don’t remember much.

To me, a screenplay is not just the dialogue. It includes the action, how the movie flows, how different scenes are connected, how quickly it pulls the audience in. The scenes should not be too long, and the movie should not be too long.

To me, a screenplay makes or breaks a movie because it is the base from which others work (actors, Director, editor, etc.).

I studied film-making as a film student and would say much the same, in a nutshell. The screenwriter envisions the scenes and characters he/she writes in terms of envisioning movement.

Also, writing for the ear is different than writing for the eye. I never did master the latter as I left film behind to follow a career in journalism.

I did write a screenplay once, however, while working as summer student for government Agriculture department. It was on Dutch Elm Disease and for a school audience, went something like this: "This tree has Dutch Elm Disease. See what it looks like! Trees on your street may have Dutch Elm Disease too!".

Much screenwriting (and writing in general) is along those lines.

mrinalini

I get what you're saying but even by those standards Leave No Trace was a flop, to me - just an utterly boring film and dramatically inert. I've been catching up on some of the most critically acclaimed movies of last year and so far that is the only one which has really disappointed me. Later on I read about subtexts such as P.T.S.D. in Iraq war veterans which supposedly pertain to the film, but that is stretching it to endow the film with greater thematic resonance than it has, IMO.

I've also just finished seeing Cold War, a surefire Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film and completely justified in this case. Joanna Kulig is effing brilliant (as is Tomasz Kot) and I've read comparisons to A Star is Born and even La La Land - I don't need to have seen the latter two films to know that it'll be a travesty when Kulig isn't even nominated for an Oscar while Gaga will be and Emma Stone actually won.

VGThuy

I've also just finished seeing Cold War, a surefire Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film and completely justified in this case. Joanna Kulig is effing brilliant (as is Tomasz Kot) and I've read comparisons to A Star is Born and even La La Land - I don't need to have seen the latter two films to know that it'll be a travesty when Kulig isn't even nominated for an Oscar while Gaga will be and Emma Stone actually won.

That's on my next see list this weekend. I can't wait to see it. As for Gaga winning an Oscar, maybe Glenn Close will have something to say about that. ;) I do get what you mean though.

mrinalini

That's on my next see list this weekend. I can't wait to see it. As for Gaga winning an Oscar, maybe Glenn Close will have something to say about that. ;) I do get what you mean though.
;) I've also seen The Wife - not the best performance I've ever seen Glenn Close give and the way the film arrives at its point is rather weak and unbelievable, IMO, but I suppose she's more than due and Close winning will be a much more pleasant experience to witness than having Gaga slobbering all over the podium. :p

VGThuy

;) I've also seen The Wife - not the best performance I've ever seen Glenn Close give and the way the film arrives at its point is rather weak and unbelievable, IMO, but I suppose she's more than due and Close winning will be a much more pleasant experience to witness than having Gaga slobbering all over the podium. :p

I actually really liked the film. The only issue is whether people wait around the night before the Nobel Prizes are announced because they are anticipating to be named. I thought the way they choose the prizes for literature and stuff was sort of random and based on a lifetime of work and nobody really knows if they're going to be picked and if they are in the running. Like if you're a celebrated author who is considered worthy, you could be named when you're like 40 or 50 or 60 or whatever.

elka_sk8

Christian Bale is winning the Oscar. You heard it first here folks. :lol:

I am pretty behind on movies this year but just saw Vice. I have mixed feelings about the movie (it felt too soon for a movie about Cheney and it just left me depressed) but Bale was pretty amazing. And I really loved Steve Carrell as Rumsfeld. :lol:

VGThuy

Oscar nominations:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/oscar-nominations-2019-academy-award-nominees-list-1202538943/

Best Picture

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

Actress in a Leading Role

Yalitza Aparicio
Glenn Close
Olivia Colman
Lady Gaga
Melissa McCarthy

Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale
Bradley Cooper
Willem Dafoe
Rami Malek
Viggo Mortensen

Directing

BlacKkKlansman
Cold War
The Favourite
Roma
Vice

Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
BlacKkKlansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

Original Screenplay

The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma
Vice

Cinematography

Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

Production Design

Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

Costume Design

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen Of Scots

Film Editing

BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

Foreign Language Film

Capernaum
Cold War
Never Look Away
Roma
Shoplifters

Documentary Feature

Free Solo
Hale County
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

Documentary Short Subject

Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night at the Garden
Period. End Of Sentence

Animated Feature Film

Incredibles 2
Isle Of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Animated Short Film

Animal Behavior
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Live Action Short Film

Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin

Original Score

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle Of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

Original Song

All The Stars, Black Panther
I’ll Fight, RBG
The Place Where Lost Things Go, MPR
Shallow
When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings, Buster Scruggs

Visual Effects

Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Makeup and Hairstyling

Border
Mary Queen of Scots
Vice

Sound Editing

Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

Sound Mixing

Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

VGThuy

I think the issue is that unlike Argo, it seems the Academy really took to some alternatives who have real chances of winning BP even before the Cooper snub. This year, Green Book (though missed for Best Director); Roma (which missed for Editing), and The Favourite (which got in all the important categories for a BP win) were big contenders. I think Roma might pull it off and be the first Foreign Language film to win BP. Some think they may help Cooper's chances in Best Actor, but I think with both Christian Bale in an Oscar baity role playing Dick Cheney and Rami Malek playing Freddie Mercury in a highly popular box office hit, it will be difficult for Cooper.

RoseRed

I read an article predicting the Oscar Noms with math, and I wanted to compare their numbers to what actually happened once the nominations came out.

Best Picture basically lines up with their predictions, except that Best Picture ended up only having 8 nominations, and If Beale Street Could Talk did not get one (they had it at 64%).

Best Director was quite different than the predictions. No Bradley Cooper (92%) is the biggest surprise I think, and then also no Peter Farrelly for Greenbook (60%). And Pawel Pawlikowski got a nomination for Cold War instead (they had him at 7%).

Best Actor lines up well with the predictions, which had Rami Malek, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Viggo Mortensen as the top four. Willem Dafoe was 7th in the model (20.7%), but there was no clear 5th place person. It's pretty similar for Best Actress. They had Glenn Close and Olivia Coleman as basically certain, and Lady Gaga and Melissa McCarthy as very likely. Emily Blunt for Mary Poppins Returns was there clear 5th, but she was only at 43%. Yalitza Aparicio was the surprise (they had her at 13.7).

For Supporting Actor, the big surprise according to the model is Timothée Chalet (93.2%) missing out, and Sam Rockwell getting one for Vice instead (16%).

For Supporting Actress, the big four from the model all got nominations (Amy Adams, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, Regina King), but Marina de Tavira wasn't even on the list. They had Claire Foy (57%), Margot Robbie (30.7%) and Emily Blunt for A Quiet Place (17%).

For original screenplay, the nominations followed exactly. For Adapted screenplay, Black Panther missed out (67%) and The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs wasn't even on the list (the others were The Death of Stalin, First Man, Leave No Trace).

RoseRed

Roma and The Favourite ended up with the most nominations, at 10 each. Roma has Best Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Best Actress, Supporting Actress, Foreign Film, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Cinematography, and Production Design. The Favourite has Best Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Best Actress, Supporting Actress x2, Film Editing, Costume Design, Cinematography, and Production Design.

Roma definitely got lots of love, with two at least somewhat surprising acting nominations. And it seems like The Favourite got in in everything they could have expected. Having seen the film, I think all it's noms are deserved. It was weird, but very well done and the acting was superb.

It's too bad there are no female directors nominated, but it's great to see Spike Lee finally get a nom.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Roma dominating Pisses me off. Even a supporting actress nom? There was nothing remarkable about the supporting role. This is The most ridiculous nomination ever. Yalitza getting the best actress nomination is also questionable. She looks and acts like a maid while cleaning, etc. only in the last parts of the movie she gets to express emotions.

Roma is a good movie but not deserving of that many awards, and definitely Not a masterpiece. It is not even the best foreign language film, let alone overall best.
It should win the cinematography award, that’s all. I guess they didn’t want anyone to challenge Alphanso Cuarón for Director, so Bradley Cooper was left out. Major snub. I don’t see him winning best actor, unless Bale and Malek split the votes.

The screenplay nominations went to three of the worst screenplays I have seen this year. A star is born, Beale Street, and Roma. It means next year we will have to sit through nearly static movies that are hoping to get nominated for their inertia.

I am going to be one unhappy camper on Oscars night. It could be like Return of the King winning every award when there were deserving nominees in some categories. It was the most boring Oscar night, ever.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have seen all the best picture nominated movies except Black Panther, which I am currently watching on dvd. So far it has not impressed me but that could change, once I get into it.

I have seen 4/5 of the foreign language BP movies. Don’t know if I will get to see the 5th, but there is plenty of time before the Oscar night.

The Best actor category is the most interesting. Impossible to predict the winner. Bradley is the dark horse. Best actress is also good, though Glenn Close May have the inside track.

Thank goodness there was no male lead in Roma.

I am surprised by Cold War getting Director nomination. Cinematography nomination is ok but this is another overrated film, though only slightly. Roma is the Major overrated one, and I am afraid the academy wants to give it all the awards. They must love Alphonso Curon.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I think Roma might be on my top 10 of the year. I do think Marina de Tavira's nomination for Best Supporting Actress is well-deserved and I think she gave the best acting performance from that film. That said, I have A LOT of films to watch before this is near finalized, but I do think my top four films right now in no particular order so far are: The Rider; Paddington 2; Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse; and Madeline's Madeline. I think with this list, The Favourite is number 5 and over Roma but I do think Roma deserves many of the accolades as it displayed some brilliant, if derivative, film craft. More so than a lot of movies nominated. I was really hoping for a "surprise" nomination for Screenplay for Private Life. Tamara Jenkins was nominated for The Savages before and I was hoping she'd do it.

I still need to see Cold War (it was too cold for me to see Cold War this weekend and I was DRAGGED to see Spider-Man by my husband and brother haha). I also need to see Shoplifters. I have a feeling I'd agree with Vash in that I may prefer that over Roma.

I think the editing and director snub for ASIB is deserved. I had major issues with that when watching the film. I wouldn't have nominated it for Screenplay either but I can't debate that too much as people really took to it given the box office and people's reaction to it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I think Roma might be on my top 10 of the year. I do think Marina de Tavira's nomination for Best Supporting Actress is well-deserved and I think she gave the best acting performance from that film. That said, I have A LOT of films to watch before this is near finalized, but I do think my top four films right now in no particular order so far are: The Rider; Paddington 2; Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse; and Madeline's Madeline. I think with this list, The Favourite is number 5 and over Roma but I do think Roma deserves many of the accolades as it displayed some brilliant, if derivative, film craft. More so than a lot of movies nominated. I was really hoping for a "surprise" nomination for Screenplay for Private Life. Tamara Jenkins was nominated for The Savages before and I was hoping she'd do it.

I still need to see Cold War (it was too cold for me to see Cold War this weekend and I was DRAGGED to see Spider-Man by my husband and brother haha). I also need to see Shoplifters. I have a feeling I'd agree with Vash in that I may prefer that over Roma.

I think the editing and director snub for ASIB is deserved. I had major issues with that when watching the film. I wouldn't have nominated it for Screenplay either but I can't debate that too much as people really took to it given the box office and people's reaction to it.

The start of Cold War is weird and confusing, with just images and singing by various people before the story actually begins. In some ways it is similar to Roma, but unlike Roma there is continuous development of the story. It moves.

B&W cinematography works for Roma but it is less effective for Cold War. One thing is for sure. If they create a foreign language B&W movie, it gets nominated for the Oscar (and more).

ETA: Top 10 may be OK for Roma; top 1 is not, IMO. :) There are too many good movies and some of them are better.

Last edited:

RoseRed

It's hard for me to hate on Yalitza Aparicio's nomination after watching her live reaction:

https://twitter.com/YalitzaAparicio/status/1087747265421283331
I think my favourite reaction video was the women who did RBG. They're listening as the documentaries are named and counting, and when it gets down to the 4th one, you can tell they think they aren't going to get it, and then RBG is the last one and they freak out. Actually Richard E. Grant's absolute child-like joy at the end of his was awesome too.

They have the videos here: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-mn-oscars-nominations-20190122-story.html

Last edited:

smurfy

Now to rush to see the movies I have not seen, that were not nominated before they disappear from the theaters.
Mary Queen of Scots tonight.
I do the Best Picture Showcase at AMC theatres every year and always try to figure out what will not be nominated so I see in the theater. I have seen 3 of the 8 best pic noms.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
^^^^I got Cinemarks Oscar package last year; $35 to see all of the Oscar noms and shorts for a week, as many times as you wanted to go to the theater. I hope to do that again this year, but haven't seen the package offered yet.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I have yet to see Vice or The Favourite but so far my pick for Best Picture is BlacKkKlansman. I’m sure it won’t win based on the age of most voters.
Roma bored me to death but I did love the way the women supported each other.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Glad to see Bohemian Rhapsody pick up nominations for Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Film Editing. It really should win for Mixing. The mixing was masterful and the way the songs were woven into the story without detracting from it was perfectly done. I couldn't listen to Who Wants To Live Forever without crying for a week.

EDIT: Just a thought I had. BR's DVD/Blu Ray release date for Australia is February 13. The singalong showings are scheduled for Feb 1-3. My local cinema is still running two sessions daily through to Jan 30 and when I spoke to them recently they'd got a huge boost in ticket sales after the Golden Globes win. There's every chance BR will still be in the cinemas when it comes out on Blu Ray/DVD here and I can't ever remember that happening before.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Oscar nominations:

OK, here is my list of who I would like to see win (more than one, in some cases). I used the original post instead of typing in my choices. I will keep the ones I would like to see win. "?" means I have not yet seen the movie.

Best Picture (one of these)

BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
Green Book

Actress in a Leading Role

Glenn Close
Lady Gaga

? Melissa McCarthy (I have not seen her movie yet, so giving her the benefit of the doubt)

Actor in a Leading Role (would love to see a tie between Bale and Malek)

Christian Bale
Rami Malek
Viggo Mortensen

Directing

BlacKkKlansman
Vice

Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, Green Book (not a supporting role, so cross out)

Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Rockwell, Vice

? Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Did not see this movie, so benefit of doubt)

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams, Vice
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay

BlacKkKlansman

? Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Don't know yet)

Original Screenplay

Green Book

Cinematography

Roma

? Never Look Away (Didn't see)

Production Design

The Favourite
Roma

? Black Panther (will know soon)

Costume Design

The Favourite
Mary Poppins Returns

?Mary Queen Of Scots (not going to see this movie)

Film Editing

BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
Green Book

Foreign Language Film

Capernaum
Shoplifters

? Never Look Away

Documentary Feature

(Saw only RBG)

Free Solo
Hale County
Minding the Gap
Of Fathers and Sons
RBG

Documentary Short Subject (Didn't see any)

Animated Feature Film (Saw only Spiderman)

Incredibles 2
Isle Of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Animated Short Film (Didn't see any)

Live Action Short Film (Didn't see any)

Original Score
? Black Panther

Mary Poppins Returns

Original Song

Shallow (A star is born)

Visual Effects

First Man (It was like I was on the space craft, seeing the moon)

Makeup and Hairstyling

Vice (fantastic makeups)

Sound Editing

Bohemian Rhapsody

Sound Mixing

Bohemian Rhapsody
A Star Is Born

Last edited:

VGThuy

Speaking of Bohemian Rhapsody, I found this article where Rami Malek talks about resolving Bryan Singer's involvement in the movie.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...rhapsody-oscar-nomination-20190122-story.html

I have to say that I didn't find this answers particularly compelling but I thought people might be interested in reading it for themselves.

I debated posting this as I'd like to keep this thread mainly about the Oscars and the awards competition, but I guess news regarding one of the nominated films belongs in this thread. As a follow-up to your post, there's fresh new allegations against Bryan Singer regarding him having sex with minor boys:

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/bryan-singer-allegations-sex-underage-boys-1203115090/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information