Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vgerdes

Evan was team captain, so he was the spokesperson being interviewed.

I have gifted the WaPo article, for those who do not subscribe to it

This broke my heart: "I think it’s going to take a while to get over this," Bates said, his voice starting to crack. "And when we do get our medals, I’m not sure that will sufficiently cure the hurt that’s been caused to all the clean athletes who didn’t get their medal moment."

It genuinely sucks for all the athletes in the team event who played by the rules and are being punished right along with those who are suspected of doing otherwise.

Fadeevfanboy

I don't know why they just didn't have the medal ceremony. We know the Russians won't be stripped of their golds (whether they should be or not, they won't be, it is like 3% chance at best), so they are just delaying the inevitable, and robbing all the athletes of their moment at the time for nothing. It is a total joke. I feel awful for someone like Evan, who has always been a class act, such a long career, and it is probably the only Olympic medal he will wind up ever receiving, as he didn't medal in the individual.

Bigbird

I don't know why they just didn't have the medal ceremony. We know the Russians won't be stripped of their golds (whether they should be or not, they won't be, it is like 3% chance at best), so they are just delaying the inevitable, and robbing all the athletes of their moment at the time for nothing. It is a total joke. I feel awful for someone like Evan, who has always been a class act, such a long career, and it is probably the only Olympic medal he will wind up ever receiving, as he didn't medal in the individual.
Miracles still do happen. Why accept a silver when gold could be yours. The silly thing is if they simply used Trusova and Sherbakova in the team event, this would not be an issue.

Fadeevfanboy

Miracles still do happen. Why accept a silver when gold could be yours. The silly thing is if they simply used Trusova and Sherbakova in the team event, this would not be an issue.

I mean the US would have readily and happily accepted the silver at the time. They, and especialy Evan and Madison, have said as much. They would much rather have gotten the silvers at the time, then not have a medal ceremony when the moment has passed, only for a fleeting and almost non existing chance of a gold, which like the silver will never have the same feeling without a medal ceremony at the actual Games.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I mean the US would have readily and happily accepted the silver at the time. They, and especialy Evan and Madison, have said as much. They would much rather have gotten the silvers at the time, then not have a medal ceremony when the moment has passed, only for a fleeting and almost non existing chance of a gold, which like the silver will never have the same feeling without a medal ceremony at the actual Games.
Exactly this. Its such a shame and such a terrible decision on the part of the IOC.

And sadly now that its done, there will be no medals until all the legal wrangling is over which is likely to be years.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Their post Olympic podcast finally dropped.

They will be performing in Stars on Ice Japan as well as SOI US.

They will be performing their FD and their gala program in the shows!

They are very bummed about not getting their silver team medals, but at least they received ba box to put the medal in, if they ever get it

Sylvia

TBD
Pre-Worlds Fan Zone article by @Jayar (March 21):
After the tour is complete, Chock and Bates are hoping to take some time to recharge and to celebrate Chock's 30th birthday in July.
"We just printed off a big schedule and started looking at it and it is a little hectic," Bates admitted. "I mean when you write it down especially and it was really a necessary exercise for us, but we were talking about maybe celebrating a big birthday this summer with somebody, so we were just throwing around ideas. I don't know what we're going to do, but a vacation somewhere for sure, at some point."
Though vacation plans are still in the early stages, Chock and Bates have made their intentions clear about their career.
"We don't feel like we're done," Bates revealed. "We still feel motivated and still feel like there is room for improvement, and we have some ideas for programs we still want to do. I'm not sure how far but we're not stopping quite yet."

Sylvia

TBD
ICYMI, their April 7th episode - Worlds & [Japan] Stars on Ice!

Sarrie

Sylvia

TBD
Two more podcast episodes since I last posted: https://bleav.com/shows/unlaced-with-chock-and-bates/

APRIL 28, 2022
Episode 20: A New York Minute
Madi and Evan recap their jaunt around the East Coast, including a few days in NYC [MOMA & Met. museums, FS in Harlem gala, Hamilton on Broadway].

APRIL 20, 2022
Episode 19: Disney, Elton John & more!
Madi and Evan share their adventures over the last two weeks since returning to the States and beginning the US Stars on Ice tour.

Chock/Bates Q&A ahead of the Detroit SOI show on Saturday night (May 7):
OK, I'm gonna asked the obvious question after reading this article, when did Madi and Evan get engaged?! I know I've been busy and haven't gotten to read stuff as much on here lately but I can't imagine how I would have missed that news, LOL :lol:
@HeatherC, I just Googled and came up with this People article during the Olympics (Feb. 13) that wasn't posted in this thread:
As for what's next in their personal lives? The pair — Chock in her third Games, Bates in his fourth — are already leaving Beijing with at least one Olympic medal. They say there's no set date for wedding bells.
And even though Bates hasn't proposed yet, they talk over certain details. Just in case.
"We just like to discuss where we might like to have it," Chock says.
"Yeah," says Bates, "we're like, 'Oh, that's a nice venue, let's do some research there.'"

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from the U.S. Dance news thread :):

Madi has been sharing photos & instagram stories from Thailand since early June (Evan attended the ISU Congress as a newly elected member of the Athletes Commission): https://www.instagram.com/chockolate02/

ETA link to Madi's post today: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce3_t_yuSxM/
"Left home with my boyfriend, coming back with my fiancé! 🥰❤️❤️❤️"

And Evan's ("Perfect engagement-moon with my FIANCÉ 😄"): https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4sPNCrMkr/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
FSO article by Maura Sullivan Hill (July 29) - season 2 of the Unlaced with Chock & Bates podcast will return this fall :):
Excerpts:
The role is a four-year term, during which his job is to make sure the athletes’ perspective is heard by the voting members of the ISU as they consider rule and policy changes. Bates said that he takes the role seriously, making sure he was prepared for all the meetings and discussions by reading up on the new proposals and consulting with his fellow ice dancers on their opinions.
“I’ve learned so much from getting to attend the ISU Congress and seeing the sport from a whole different perspective and much more of a bird’s-eye view, incorporating speed skating, short track and long track, synchronized skating and all of the disciplines,” Bates said.
“There are so many important decisions that are made on that side that I think a lot of athletes don’t often know about, or definitely don’t often get a chance to participate in,” he added. “The athlete councils are a relatively new group for the ISU, only around for the last six years. So the incorporation of athletes at the table is really important, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to be serving, and it’s definitely a big honor.”
“It was a bit daunting to restart the creative process after the Olympic letdown and huge tour, and lots of friends and other people moving on, retiring from competitive skating,” Bates said. “We showed up back at the rink, and it was a weird reality for a few days to adjust to all of those changes. After a couple days, we were like, oh yeah, this is so fun, we love this. We’re getting to be creative and work with our team, Marie-France [Dubreuil], Sam [Chouinard], Patch [Lauzon] and Romain [Haguenauer]. We remembered again, this is our thing. We really are enjoying it still and definitely still passionate and moving forward.”
Chock echoed her fiancé, saying: “Every day we train, we unlock a little something new that wasn’t there before; that’s a really fun feeling and we’re going to chase that. We really do enjoy learning. I think that’s what makes every day so fun. We’re just curious people and we just want to keep learning. If you’re open to learn, you will learn.”

Sylvia

TBD
Tweeted on Oct. 13, 2022: https://twitter.com/KatCornetta/status/1580660272507019264
In Madison Chock and Evan Bates' #SkateAmerica pre-event press conference today, Bates said that their free dance this year is "less character-driven" unlike the last few years. It is based on their love story (they're engaged.) "No one is an alien, a snake or an astronaut."
Madison Chock says that while their rhythm dance has "a twist", they are really working with a strong ballroom style.

Another quote: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1580661346932494337
“We were super inspired this summer because we got engaged, we wanted to fuse more of our story into our free dance. The music is from a local Montreal artist, it appealed to us to have a little piece of our new home on the ice.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information