Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

PeterG

Peter,
Meryl Streep said one time that she thought the movies in the modern period (maybe when the studio system broke down and actors were free to choose roles---let's just say from "Bonnie and Clyde" forward) are generally better than the films that preceded them. What do you think? And then British actor Stephen Dillane said he enjoyed French films most of all. You have seen so many films and are such an enthusiast that I wondered what your opinion is on the subject. Too broad?

Yeah, probably too broad. I'd love to hear what others think. I think that production-wise, movies of course have gotten better. But there's a lot of great stuff from the black and white era in terms of stunts (Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton), and with writing (Mae West and the wit of the romantic comedies of stars like Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn). Plus certain movies stand out in terms of lighting and cinematography. And the spectacular look of something like The Wizard of Oz. Which brings us to 1939.

I decided to randomly compare 1939 with two other more modern years, 1970 and 1990. The box office top 10 from each decade (movies in bold that I have seen and recommend everyone see):

Gone with the Wind
Jesse James
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
The Rains Came
Babes in Arms
Dodge City
Goodbye, Mr. Chips
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Wizard of Oz

Gunga Din

Love Story
Airport
MASH
Patton
Woodstock
Little Big Man
Ryan's Daughter
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Chariots of the Gods
The Aristocats

Ghost
Home Alone
Pretty Woman
Dances with Wolves

Total Recall
Back to the Future Part III
Die Hard 2
Presumed Innocent
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Kindergarten Cop

That's just box office, how about we do the same with most Academy Award nominations for each of those years...

• 13 nominations: Gone with the Wind
  • 11 nominations: Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  • 8 nominations: Wuthering Heights
  • 7 nominations: Goodbye, Mr. Chips and Stagecoach
  • 6 nominations: Love Affair, The Rains Came and The Wizard of Oz
  • 5 nominations: Of Mice and Men and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
  • 4 nominations: Ninotchka
  • 3 nominations: Dark Victory, First Love, The Great Victor Herbert and Man of Conquest
  • 2 nominations: Babes in Arms, Beau Geste, Drums Along the Mohawk, Gulliver's Travels, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Intermezzo, Juarez and Only Angels Have Wings

10 Airport
10 Patton
7 Love Story
5 MASH
5 Tora! Tora! Tora!
4 Five Easy Pieces
4 Ryan's Daughter
4 Scrooge
4 Women in Love
3 Darling Lili
3 I Never Sang for My Father
3 Lovers and Other Strangers
3 Woodstock
2 Cromwell
2 The Great White Hope

12 Dances with Wolves
7 Dick Tracy
7 The Godfather Part III
6 Goodfellas
5 Cyrano de Bergerac
5 Ghost
4 Avalon
4 The Grifters
3 Awakenings
3 The Hunt for Red October
3 Reversal of Fortune
3 Total Recall
2 Hamlet
2 Home Alone
2 Postcards from the Edge

Lots of bolded titles for 1939 compared to 1970 or 1990. Now that might be because I haven't seen as many movies from 1970 as I have from 1939. But not many titles for 1970 make me think, "oh, I need to see that one". And it might be unfair to use 1939 as a comparison year as it was so strong. Maybe 1949 (another random year plucked from my noggin) might be more equal as far as what I would recommend?

I think modern film has a lot of crap that is made for the lowest-common denominator of movie-goer. Now, I admit I like some of that stuff. Maybe even a lot of that stuff! :D But even the lighter fare from the early years of film have greater merit than something like 1970's Airport or 1990's Kindergarten Cop.

Okay everybody else, I'd love to hear your thoughts! :40beers:

Japanfan

Decided to view something a bit more high-brow and picked Portrait Of A Lady, mainly because of the cast: Nicole Kidman, John Malkovich, Barbara Hershey, Mary-Louise Parker, Christian Bale, Viggo Mortensen, John Gielgud and Shelley Winters.

I've recently been reminded of how much I loved John Malkovich - probably prompted by his wonderful appearance as a Russian oligarch in the last season of "Billions".

I rewatched "Being John Malkovich" the other day, in part prompted by the fact that Catherine Keener was in it, whom I adore. I was reminded of this after watching her in a lovely small film called "Unless", which I highly recommend. I googled her to remind myself of past films she's done that I might like to rewatch.

I would say the film did stand the test of time. Although it's kind of lightweight, it's also inventive and engaging, and full of surprises.

Japanfan

Peter,
Meryl Streep said one time that she thought the movies in the modern period (maybe when the studio system broke down and actors were free to choose roles---let's just say from "Bonnie and Clyde" forward) are generally better than the films that preceded them. What do you think? And then British actor Stephen Dillane said he enjoyed French films most of all. You have seen so many films and are such an enthusiast that I wondered what your opinion is on the subject. Too broad? And have you ever listed your fave films of all time here?

May I give my 2 cents worth, although I'm not Peter?

I tend to agree with Streep, but I think it really depends on one's orientation and preferences. I just find older films dated for the most part, although some do stand the test of time. Some of Chaplin's work, for example, and "At the Waterfront".

To me the acting in older films is more generic - that is, stylized in a generic way. But maybe if I was watching the films of today 50 years down the road, I'd say the same thing. Also, I think female actors have more freedom today than they did in times past, in terms of everything from costuming to hair styles to character. I remember Audrey Hepburn telling the story of how they would not let her wear pants on set, and she told them fine then, I'll just go about in my panties. :)

There were certainly some iconic grand dammes of the American cinema and I don't know if the same can be said of female celebrities today. For example, Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe. But that in part had to do with a certain 'stature' that female actresses could obtain precisely because they were female. Somehow the British cinematic and theatrical tradition has reinvented the grand damme in allowing her considerable freedom as an actress along with her stature (i.e. Maggie Smith).

Some people just really love older films. I never did, and I was a film studies major. I never did enjoy having to watch old classics like 'Citizen Kane'.

Age could have something to do with it as well. I may always have a fondness for some films I saw in the 70s and 80s, but I have seen them already. Films I've never seen before are a different matter.

snoopy

Old movies were often little Norman Rockwell snapshots which probably weren’t showcasing the best acting or movie making. But I still think many were lovely.

60s and 70s films were more real but so blah to me. Real has its disadvantages. Thank god for for Steven Spielberg.

I think there is too much variation in modern movies (80s on) to make a call - but I guess the BEST modern movies are better than the BEST old movies. But I think there is more junk produced now than back then too.

VGThuy

I just think they're different products in a way and have to be appreciated on their own merits. I think with modern films, you have to consider the rise of auteur filmmaking (before directors were seen as studio workers and the producers took more control though not to disparage the works of some very fine directors with their own POVs back then) and modern acting techniques. Earlier films were discovering what film could do and evolving the art form so they deserve a lot of credit. This reminds me of a funny line from Bette Davis when she did The Whales of August with Lillian Gish. She was sort of jealous of Gish and when she heard the director saying at how amazing Gish, who was like 94 when she made the movie, was at close-up shots, Davis barked back "of course, she's great at them, she was there when they invented them!"

Cachoo

I do have to admit that (for whatever reason) the films that I saw in my younger years (70's and 80's) stay with me now though I've loved both older and more recent films. I think I tend to agree with Japanfan but I also know I do need to give the older films more of a chance. The thing is 1939 was such a great year in American cinema. Even I've seen almost every film on that list and liked or loved them. (Was "Gunga Din" too racist now to view it in context then?) I'm sure kids now would look at those older films I love from my youth and think they were dated. I recently read an article on why we should throw "Animal House" under the bus and I remember how funny I thought it was at the time and the wild Toga party on campus inspired by the film. I don't think I can throw it under the bus. I'm rambling but thanks to all who answered. I'd love to read more opinions.

PeterG

(Was "Gunga Din" too racist now to view it in context then?)

I can't remember Gunga Din very well, probably because I found it so disappointing. Watched the trailer for it just now on youtube and it doesn't look good. I'm pretty sure it's the only Cary Grant movie I saw and didn't like. As far as the racist aspect, I overlook most of what racism exists in older pictures as the standards then are so different from today. Even now watching movies from five years ago, in this #metoo #timesup era, I wince at some of the ways women are treated in such recent movies. But I have to remember that our standards keep changing (evolving) and I have to accept that society just wasn't as enlightened then as we are now. Even the GLBTQ movies that are being released the last year or two focus on suffering and abuse. Can't ANYBODY make a movie about a happy gay person?

I recently read an article on why we should throw "Animal House" under the bus and I remember how funny I thought it was at the time and the wild Toga party on campus inspired by the film. I don't think I can throw it under the bus.

I never saw Animal House. If you have a link to the article, I'd like to see it. Don't know what's problematic with the movie, but I won't be surprised by what's in the movie that people now have a problem with.

Well, okay... ;) :p

...I think female actors have more freedom today than they did in times past, in terms of everything from costuming to hair styles to character.

I get your point completely and agree with it for the most part. But I wonder about two of the most respected actresses of our time (Meryl Streep and Glenn Close) and think two of the most respected actresses from the early age of film (Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn). If Streep and Close were asked if they are happy with the film roles they have had in their lives, compared to the roles that Davis and Hepburn got in their day, would Streep and Close be happy with what they've been cast in? Or would they say, "I'd rather have had the roles that Davis or Hepburn got to play"?

Thank god for for Steven Spielberg.

:respec:

...reminds me of a funny line from Bette Davis when she did The Whales of August with Lillian Gish. She was sort of jealous of Gish and when she heard the director saying at how amazing Gish, who was like 94 when she made the movie, was at close-up shots, Davis barked back "of course, she's great at them, she was there when they invented them!"

:lol: I saw something in the last few years with someone who worked with Davis and she had an amazing quote in the room where they played the scenes that were just filmed that day. Can't remember the younger actress who shared Davis' quote or what was said, but it was classic. Maybe somebody knows what I'm talking about or typing this out will jog my memory...

smurfy

Love the discussion about old vs modern films.
Per Peter's list - more fluff in 90. I like movies from all times, and different types of movies.
I find my mood may impact my view, or the hype before I see a film / expectations.

I love Animal House and laugh every time I see it. It is a perfect example of a great movie, not oscar worthy, but just silly fun.
And I love Gone with the Wind and Ryan's Daughter for the sweeping dramas they are, the craft and story and everything.
And films like Casablanca - stories that are thrillers, crime or war and move fast.
Every year I enjoy the oscars, go to a 2 day showcase of all nom films and friends ask which is your fav or which should win. It is really hard to ever say - oh this one is the winner. I usually have a few, and for different reasons.

I think everyone's opinion are valid and will be different. We are different ages and have seen films at different stages of our lives.

smurfy

I saw Mission Impossible yesterday. I really enjoyed it, a perfect action crazy movie for the summer.
As much as Tom Cruise is controversial, one thing he does over and over again - he is involved with good movies and lets the other actors shine.
One thing I really enjoyed in this movie and can not remember from the others, the music, especially during the action scenes, or scenes leading up to action, was very effective and added to the mood.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

I tend to agree with Streep, but I think it really depends on one's orientation and preferences. I just find older films dated for the most part, although some do stand the test of time. Some of Chaplin's work, for example, and "At the Waterfront".

To me the acting in older films is more generic - that is, stylized in a generic way. But maybe if I was watching the films of today 50 years down the road, I'd say the same thing. Also, I think female actors have more freedom today than they did in times past, in terms of everything from costuming to hair styles to character. I remember Audrey Hepburn telling the story of how they would not let her wear pants on set, and she told them fine then, I'll just go about in my panties. :)

There were certainly some iconic grand dammes of the American cinema and I don't know if the same can be said of female celebrities today. For example, Lauren Bacall and Marilyn Monroe. But that in part had to do with a certain 'stature' that female actresses could obtain precisely because they were female. Somehow the British cinematic and theatrical tradition has reinvented the grand damme in allowing her considerable freedom as an actress along with her stature (i.e. Maggie Smith).

Some people just really love older films. I never did, and I was a film studies major. I never did enjoy having to watch old classics like 'Citizen Kane'.

Age could have something to do with it as well. I may always have a fondness for some films I saw in the 70s and 80s, but I have seen them already. Films I've never seen before are a different matter.

That was Katharine Hepburn in the 1930's shortly after being signed to her contact with RKO - and, allegedly, she did indeed walk through the studio lot in her undergarments and the ban on her wearing slacks was lifted after that.

PeterG

Just saw The Darkest Minds. Really liked it. Totally successful at what they were going for. Nicely set up for the sequel, hope this does well at the box office. Cool to see it was directed by a woman, Jennifer Yuh Nelson. She directed two of the Kung Fu Panda movies (receiving an Oscar nomination for animated feature for the second one).

Amandla Stenberg in the lead role is good, but her co-lead, Harris Dickinson, steals the show. Let me predict here that we are looking at a future multi-Oscar winner with Mr. Dickinson. I looked at IMDb to see what else he was in. He was also the lead of the phenomenal indie drama, Beach Rats. I'm shocked. Didnt even recognize him. Two back to back star-making turns. Cant wait to see what the future holds for him.

Japanfan

I do have to admit that (for whatever reason) the films that I saw in my younger years (70's and 80's) stay with me now though I've loved both older and more recent films. I think I tend to agree with Japanfan but I also know I do need to give the older films more of a chance.

So what old films can withstand the test of time?

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is "The Great Escape". I don't see how anyone at any time could fail to love that film.

However, just watch: there will probably be a remake soon, and the original will be forgotten.:(

Japanfan

That was Katharine Hepburn in the 1930's shortly after being signed to her contact with RKO - and, allegedly, she did indeed walk through the studio lot in her undergarments and the ban on her wearing slacks was lifted after that.

Thanks. I wasn't sure which Hepburn it was.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Thanks. I wasn't sure which Hepburn it was.

I had read the story years ago, with the time period of the early/mid 1930's for K Hep's fashion rebellion being the key.

I cannot possibly imagine the far more modest A. Hepburn doing the same in the 1950's for her capri pants. :rofl:

PeterG

'Three Identical Strangers' - documentary about people that look alike - meet and figure out why - entertaining, intriguing and thought provoking.
See this movie!
It is very intriguing as they unravel what happened and the impact on the individuals and their families.
Raises ethical questions.

Just saw this documentary; just, totally wow, in both good and horrifying ways. Some of the crap that "higher ups" do for whatever reasons shouldn't blow my mind at this point, but it does. I guess I try to think to much of people being better than they are. Three identical strangers . 10/10

Another heat wave, another week of movie theatres. :)

Today I saw Three Identical Strangers. Very well made movie and very impactful. A nice companion piece to...

9.5/10 - Twinsters (2016 documentary) - A woman receives a message on facebook from someone who looks...exactly like her. The two continue conversing with one another and sharing information about their adoptions...which end up ALSO being pretty much identical. Turns out the two were both put up for adoption...separately. One was adopted by a family in American and the other to a family in France. This movie covers their journey all the way back to their country of birth, South Korea. Have a couple of hankies close by while you enjoy the heck out of this incredible movie.

Three Identical Strangers is made by an outside source, so the movie has a standard documentary feel to it. A high quality, involving feel. Twinsters was more personal because it was made by the subject and her friends. Three Identical Strangers has a larger story behind it, which is shocking. I definitely recommend both movies.

Japanfan

I get your point completely and agree with it for the most part. But I wonder about two of the most respected actresses of our time (Meryl Streep and Glenn Close) and think two of the most respected actresses from the early age of film (Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn). If Streep and Close were asked if they are happy with the film roles they have had in their lives, compared to the roles that Davis and Hepburn got in their day, would Streep and Close be happy with what they've been cast in? Or would they say, "I'd rather have had the roles that Davis or Hepburn got to play"?

My guess is that Streep and Close would be happy with the roles they have had and the range of those roles. Streep
got to play a Prime Minister and in the Davis/Hepburn era, the possibility of a woman being PM was not really on the radar.

And I don't think any actor today would want to go back to the studio system, which SFAIK was grueling.

At the same time, I am sure they both admire Davis and Hepburn. And there could be things about older actors' performances and roles that they like/admire and feel are not possible today or do not exist to the same degree. For example, making a film used to be more simple and perhaps actors got to play their roles more linearly. I would think that would be easier for an actor than having to jump across scenes.

manhn

watchthis!!

I saw Eighth Grade on the weekend. It's an awkard movie about the awkward time of a girl's life. I liked it, but don't feel like I want to urge everyone to see it. Not that it's not a good movie, I just think the writer/director wanted to just tell this story the way it came to him and didn't feel any need to jazz it up in any way to make critics and audiences jump up and down and go crazy. Kudo to him for choosing subtlety in a time of not very many subtle movies.

Cachoo

So what old films can withstand the test of time?

The one that immediately comes to mind for me is "The Great Escape". I don't see how anyone at any time could fail to love that film.

However, just watch: there will probably be a remake soon, and the original will be forgotten.:(

By the time I saw "Casablanca" the many famous quotes in the film were all over on posters and t-shirts in the 70's. I think it was experiencing some sort of revival or maybe the popularity never waned. So when I finally saw it I thought the "memes" of the day would ruin the film for me. They did not---I loved everything about it and I think that was the movie that drove home the fact the a great supporting cast could be every bit as important as the stars of the film. Some years later I remember our hometown paper asking people to recast it with popular actors of the day. A young, blond, gruff Nick Nolte received a lot of nominations. I cannot remember who was selected for Bergman's part. (I put in nominations for up and coming actors Gabriel Byrne and Emma Thompson for the two leads.) Now I can't get beyond Bogart and Bergman. I also can't think of "The Wizard of Oz" starring Shirley Temple or "Gone With the Wind" without Vivian Leigh. I do wonder if I feel that strongly regarding the casting choices for modern films.

Goodness---I don't know what this says about the movie but I now remember I saw the "Mission Impossible" flick yesterday. As action films goes it was jam-packed. And it was my first time out to a film in a long time. I do like Rebecca Ferguson. I enjoyed her period pieces and I think she and Cruise do have chemistry. And as much as I like the current James Bond if they wanted to go for a retro Bond Henry Cavill certainly looks the part.

Last edited:

Seerek

I saw Eighth Grade on the weekend. It's an awkard movie about the awkward time of a girl's life. I liked it, but don't feel like I want to urge everyone to see it. Not that it's not a good movie, I just think the writer/director wanted to just tell this story the way it came to him and didn't feel any need to jazz it up in any way to make critics and audiences jump up and down and go crazy. Kudo to him for choosing subtlety in a time of not very many subtle movies.

Yes, the conversations b/t the eighth graders were rather strained and stilted, but that's true to form for real life 13-14 year olds (imo), so I was totally fine with the unpolished delivery. Incorporating precocious/showy dialogue or having Kayla (Elsie Fisher) go through an unusual crisis would have been out of step with the feel of the movie overall.

What I was surprised to read was that there was some objection to the male writer (Bo Burnham) writing for a female teen protagonist.

Certainly the way the movie ends, a sequel "Twelfth Grade" would be actually quite logical.

PeterG

10/10 - Five Came Back (2017 documentary) - This was fantastic. About five film directors and how they used their talents to aid in the World War II effort. Frank Capra (It's A Wonderful Life & It Happened One Night), John Ford (The Grapes of Wrath & The Quiet Man), George Stevens (Woman of The Year & The Diary of Ann Frank), William Wyler (The Little Foxes & Roman Holiday) and John Huston (The Maltese Falcon & Prizzi's Honor). There's so much to say about this work, but it has to be seen to be really appreciated. I was considering giving it an 18/10 to state how much I enjoyed and appreciated this. A definite must-see if you have enjoyed any of these men as film directors and/or if you have an interest in history and/or want to see men who care about their country and their world...in action and/or enjoy good film-making (about good film-making)!

I have watched three documentaries that were mentioned in this series. The first two I watched seemed like standard war-time documentaries of their time. The same with Prelude To War (1942, directed by Frank Capra), but it stands out as being more informative, more inspired and more substantial. In large part, that's because Capra covers an overview of all the reasons why Americans need to involve themselves in the war effort and also looks back decades earlier to see how Germany, Japan and Italy had been planning different war moves for a while. (Some of that may have been proven to be incorrect by now, but I'm definitely no expert on WWII, so I can't say.)

Two other things about Prelude To War stand out to me. First, the racist slurs used in reference to the Japanese, whereas no slurs are used against the Germans or Italians. And the U.S. had many law-abiding Japanese-American citizens at that time, so in a way this film casts a negative light on it's own citizens. Second, there are parallels between the Germans desire for power at that time to America's power today. It's kind of heartbreaking because America played a heroic role at that time and one of the effects of WWII is that in time, America took on some of the negative things which Germany did at that time. So this movie is shocking at points to see how America was affected/changed. There are numerous average Americans shown as not wanting to get involved with Europe's war. They are almost portrayed in a negative light for wanting peaceful lives. I feel like there's so much more to be said about all of this, but I've already written way more than I expected to. You can see the whole movie (just 52 minutes) at youtube if you are interested:

Why We Fight: Prelude to War

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Finally managed to watch one movie this summer :rofl: called the escape with Gemma Arterton. Out of all the movies and with so few opportunities for me to watch anything during summertime, I had to pick a depressing story :duh: However, Gemma Arterton 's performance really took me by surprise. Such a nuanced presence and so many emotions ripple on her face. She conveys so well the feeling of mental emprisonnement one can experience in the rut of family life. The husband's portrayal and personality are not so subtle however and then the second half of the movie is a bit cliché on her certain foreign character and also a bit unrealistic. But for her performance alone I recommend it.

DannyCurry

I saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom today and...felt more in agreement with @savchenkoboss. I thought the movie was real strong. The only problem I had was certain plots points that didn't make sense...but happened because they needed to for the movie to go in the direction the screenwriter wanted it to. But with this kind of movie, you just have to let go of what makes sense sometimes and go along for the ride. And what a great ride it is! Many great action scenes and good performances from everyone in the cast. And the cinematographer looooooves Chris Pratt. Numerous close-ups of his glorious chiseled face. Made me think of the golden age of cinema and how women were showcased in all their glorious close-ups. But now Pratt's the pretty one. Can't disagree for a second. :D

Well at least we'll agree on pretty Pratt !

Other movies I've seen in the past 10 days or so :
How to Talk to Girls at Parties : Crazy coming of age story about three young punks in late 70s London who get in a house where they meet unusual characters who look like they're part of an American cult. Elle Fanning is lovely and punk Nicole Kidman must have had so much fun. I enjoyed it a lot.

Love Simon : Pretty much like the book, I find nothing great about it. However, I do think it's important to have that kind of 'products' so that teenagers can identify early with the characters and maybe it will help them with self-acceptance. Making (non-fabulous or crazy) gayness more mainstream can't hurt, right ? When I was younger, the only movie about gay teens I saw was Beautiful Thing (1996), which I still find sweet. Love Simon doesn't reach that level for me but at least it's still better than Alex Strangelove. And Josh Duhamel looks good :p

Up : Not my fave Pixar movie. I like the love story at the beginning and that's it. I absolutely can't stand Russell.

The Looming Storm : I fell asleep and missed like one third of the movie. What I saw was gloomy and rather boring.

On Happiness Road : Most annoying voices ever. Too long but I somewhat liked the fact that the main character was just a "normal" adult, not as successful as her parents wish her to be. Even though it's not a fairytale, the kid is quite dreamy.

VGThuy

I wouldn’t mind that if they’ve not give it an official statuette and instead design another award for it like the way the Thalberg award isn’t an Oscar statuette.

PeterG

I fear I'm running out of movies to go see and our heat wave is going to outlast my movie-going options. :( Today I saw...Skyscraper. This one was definitely not on my To See list. I ended up playing a game on my cell phone. Not that the movie was bad, it's a great popcorn flick. I was just in a "been there, seen that" kind of mood. I did think that Neve Campbell's character was really well-written, probably the best I think we've seen for a female character in an action movie (well, when the woman is #2 to the #1 male hero). Plus Neve and Dwayne's two kids in this movie don't do anything stupid which their parents then need to save them from. So that was cool. As cool as the air-conditioning I paid for. :D

When I was younger, the only movie about gay teens I saw was Beautiful Thing (1996), which I still find sweet.

The only gay movie I saw when I was younger was...

An Oscar for BEST POPULAR FILM?

W.T.F.

The current Oscars: best popular films...voted by the Academy.

Best popular film Oscar: best popular film...voted by the movie-going public.

Both will be awards voted on by different groups for who those groups find the most popular.

I wouldn’t mind that if they’ve not give it an official statuette and instead design another award for it like the way the Thalberg award isn’t an Oscar statuette.

Maybe a gold-plated box of popcorn? (Oh wait...I think MTV already did that...) ;)

VGThuy

So I read more...not only are they considering that popular category (let's just call it the Marvel category since I bet they'll be running away with this and I bet ABC demanded something like this...and Disney owns both ABC and Marvel...) but now they are shortening it to three hours and cutting presentations of less popular categories (having them be presented during commercials). I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I just don't think any of this will actually bump up ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information