Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

PeterG

@PeterG Did you make it to see "Ocean's 8?"

Not yet. I'm waiting until it gets so hot here that I can't stand being in my apartment for another second and need to buy some air conditioning at a movie theatre. It's 30 degrees right now (about 87 Fahrenheit). After a few days of this in a row, my place won't cool down much overnight, so the afternoons/evenings will be pretty awful (for me). I know this isn't that hot compared to many places, but I hate the heat, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up posting that Ocean's 8 is the...best...movie...ever...made. :D

watchthis!!

I enjoyed Detroit much more than I expected because it seemed to come and go from the theatres so quickly. I thought maybe it wasn't that good of a movie. But the young cast are very talented and Kathryn Bigelow does a fantastic job of directing. The ratings from this movie at different sites are very high. Not sure why the larger movie-going public didn't support this movie (or the voters of various awards shows). Maybe the subject matter of the riots in Detroit in the summer of 1967 hit a little too close to home, even though that was 50 years ago. It's a shame more people didn't see this one, because it's both well-made and an important movie to see.

Trailer for Detroit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5h7Kgo-zeI

PeterG

I watched the 1971 (Clint Eastwood) version of The Beguiled tonight. I had read that the re-make (with Nicole Kidman, Colin Farrell and Kirsten Dunst) was re-made as telling the story from the women's perspective. But I didn't see much of a difference between the two versions, as far as perspective. Eastwood's character is a liar, manipulative, a cheat, willing to rape and murder...just cuz he can... The male character in this version is irredeemable, maybe even moreso than we see with Farrell's version. The only thing about the original that made me think it was more from the male point of view is the notes in the DVD version where the director talks about his version being about women and how they can be just as dastardly and evil as men. But their mis-deed was only after so much abuse...and then the threat of ongoing rape and possible murder. Self-defense, Mr. Eastwood, you've....got...to....go.
Enjoy your dinner.

watchthis!!

Quick quiz.

Answer:

Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, Don Johnson, Richard Gere, Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds.

Question: (You guess here.)

Which actors were approached to play the lead role in Die Hard? (Which of course eventually went to Bruce Willis.) Bonus point: Willis at that point was known for his comedic role in Moonlighting, which is why producers wanted to go with those other actors. So how much did Willis get paid for his Die Hard role? (See next spoiler.)

$5,000,000

Finnice

Just saw Mamma Mia here we go again. Perfect summer entertainment. Males sing better than in the first part, and there is lots of eye candy to all sexes and preferences. If you need to empty your brain and fill your mind with ABBA, go and watch it!

PeterG

Trailers For Movies Released 2018-07-27th
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuI4-fSHhipRA5RkQNPczy0BsxPht4DMb

July 27th - Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Wide) – Action thriller with Tom Cruise, Henry Cavill, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Rebecca Ferguson, Angela Bassett, Michelle Monaghan, Wes Bentley and Alec Baldwin

July 27th - Teen Titans Go! To The Movies (Wide) – Animated action comedy with Nicolas Cage, Kristen Bell, Stan Lee, Will Arnett, Patton Oswalt, Halsey, Lil Yachty and Jimmy Kimmel

July 27th - Hot Summer Nights (Limited) – Drama with Timothée Chalamet and Thomas Jane

July 27th - Our House (Limited) – Horror thriller with Thomas Mann and Nicola Peltz [Bates Motel]

July 27th – Extinction – Sci-fi thriller with Michael Peña, Lizzy Caplan and Mike Colter (Netflix)

July 27th - The Row (Limited) – Thriller with a new cast and Colin Eggelsfield. From imdb.com: “A college freshman trying to get into a sorority discovers a dark secret about the house she's pledging for after a series of murders terrorize the campus.”

July 27th - Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood (Limited) – Documentary. From imdb.com: “A portrait of unsung Hollywood legend Scotty Bowers, whose bestselling memoir chronicled his decades spent as sexual procurer to the stars.”

July 27th - 14 Cameras (Limited) – Horror thriller, new cast. From imdb.com: “When a family of four rent a beautiful house for their summer vacation, the price seems too good to be true. Unbeknownst to them, the lascivious owner has set up a series of spy cams throughout the house, documenting their most intimate moments and live streaming them to the dark web.”

July 27th - Puzzle (Limited) – Drama, new cast. From imdb.com: “Agnes, taken for granted as a suburban mother, discovers a passion for solving jigsaw puzzles which unexpectedly draws her into a new world - where her life unfolds in ways she could never have imagined.”

July 27th - Cocote (Limited) – Drama from the Dominican Republic. From imdb.com: “An Evangelical Christian man attends the funeral services of his father in his hometown, where he has to participate in religious rites that clash with his beliefs and finds himself pressured to take revenge on the murderer.”

July 27th - Good Manners [As Boas Maneiras] (Limited) – Fantasy horror musical from Brazil. From imdb.com: “Clara, a lonely nurse from the outskirts of São Paulo, is hired by mysterious and wealthy Ana as the nanny for her unborn child. The two women develop a strong bond, but a fateful night changes their plans.”

July 27th – The Captain – Historical war drama from Germany. From imdb.com: “In the last moments of World War II, a young German soldier fighting for survival finds a Nazi captain's uniform. Impersonating an officer, the man quickly takes on the monstrous identity of the perpetrators he is trying to escape from.”

July 27th - Scarred Hearts (Limited) – Biographical drama from Romania. From imdb.com: “Emanuel spends his days at a sanatorium. Falling in love with another patient, he narrates his and his fellow patients' attempts to live life to the fullest as their bodies slowly fade away, but their minds refuse to give up.”

July 27th - Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings (Limited) – Action from China. From imdb.com: “Detective Dee is forced to defend himself against the accusations of Empress Wu while investigating a crime spree.”

annie720

Just saw Mamma Mia here we go again. Perfect summer entertainment. Males sing better than in the first part, and there is lots of eye candy to all sexes and preferences. If you need to empty your brain and fill your mind with ABBA, go and watch it!

Josh Dylan was eye candy to me! And Colin Firth still is... ;) Wish we'd seen a little more of Dominic Cooper. I missed his curls.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Decided I'd start catching myself up on Marvel movies, since everyone goes on about how great they are and I'm not averse to a superhero action flick. My mum has all of them (she and dad love them) and so I borrowed two from her to start: Captain America: The First Avenger and Iron Man.

I consulted several online lists about where to start, all of which contradicted each other, so I started with Captain America. And I quite enjoyed it. For a "superhero action flick" it's actually very good, decent plot, and with enough serious moments that it draws you in quite heavily. And between the acting and the score it even hits you in the feels. I'm a notorious film weeper and started crying when

Bucky fell off the train, and then again when Steve was deliberately crashing the plane, even though I knew that neither "death" was permanent they were both acted and scored in a way that still made you mourn them. As an aside, do we have to spoiler anything other than Infinity War for the Marvel movies in here?

One of the things that I thought they could have spent more time on was the friendship between Steve and Bucky. Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan had this fabulous natural chemistry and it was easy to believe they were childhood friends, but they spend most of the movie separated, and even when they're reunited late in the movie, we see a lot of it in montage. The romance subplot between Steve and Peggy was cute, but I thought they could have done more with Bucky, who Steve had more of a relationship with. Maybe this is something they'll explore further in Winter Soldier and Civil War.

I loved the big names playing secondary roles here - Tommy Lee Jones is a riot and Hugo Weaving makes an unsettlingly excellent Nazi bad guy.

Haven't got to watching Iron Man yet, maybe tonight.

PeterG

...I borrowed two from her to start: Captain America: The First Avenger and Iron Man.

I missed Captain America: The First Avenger, but I do plan to see it at some point. I read your spoiler but now wish I hadn't. That's my fault. :( But thank you for using the spoiler tags. I use them for any movie which has something which could surprise the viewer that knowing by my reveal might lessen the enjoyment of the movie for them. I should probably use spoilers a little more often. Bawl me out if I goof up, everybody! :D

PeterG

I went to see "Oceans 8" yesterday with a friend. Considering the stellar cast, I found it to be a rather "meh" experience. It's sad to know such a mediocre script could get such talent attached to it. Even the Met Gala costumes were underwhelming (to me).

Saw it today. I liked it. The early scenes with just Bullock and Blanchett felt like movie royalty to me at their best. Not that the script they were working with was brilliant, but damn if these women weren't acting the crap out of what they were given. It was incredible just to watch them on screen. I did find the middle of the movie to drag a little, but I think that always happens with these kinds of movies. The set-up is captivating, seeing how they plot out every little detail...and all the problems that pop up out of nowhere. Then the finale is great to see everything fall into place, with hiccups being dealt with on the fly. Helena Bonham Carter was also strong, I'd like to see more of her in the sequel.

Last edited:

watchthis!!

Hamilton movie 'won't be released until at least 2020'
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/25/hamilton-movie-released-2020-lin-manuel-miranda

It's not the movie version of the Broadway musical, but a filmed version of the stage performance done just before Lin-Manuel Miranda left the production. The article mention that this work might be purchased for as much as 50 million dollars.

Other related news from the article:

... a film version of Miranda’s previous musical, In the Heights, is in the works, directed by Crazy Rich Asians’ Jon Chu – the director also now linked to a film about the Thai caves rescue.

Last edited:

smurfy

I will admit I saw 'Mama Mia 2! And I admit I enjoyed it.
It is what it is - ABBA music and a bunch of actors having fun!
Lily James as the younger Donna (Meryl Streep's role) and Amanda Seyfried as Sophie are the stars of the film.
Both did well, and I think Lily James was great. They guys they cast as the younger Brosnan, Skarsgaard and Firth were really good and seemed like them.
Andy Garcia has been busy - in this and was in Bookclub. He is aging quite nicely.
Perfect movie a weekday night after a busy day at work.
There is one scene that is just too fricking hilarious - when Dancing Queen is being sung - with Firth and Skarsgaard. Boy were they having fun.

The king of the world pose from Titanic [/spoiler)

PeterG

I saw Mamma Mia! Here You Go Again last night. I am one of those fans of the original movie who saw multiple versions of the stage show and the original film mainly for the dance party experience, so I was hoping for the same with this version. There were a few surprises with the plot that I didn't expect, and overall I thought it was paced more slowly than the original, but it picked up towards the end. I also thought there were too many characters. Cher was not necessary. The highlight for me was Lily James. She did a great job and had terrific energy. It was pretty much what I expected. An enjoyable summer movie, but IMO not as good as the first.

Just saw this for my afternoon of paid air-conditioning. I agree with what you liked about the movie (especially Lily James) but didn't feel as strongly as you about the weaker parts. But I can't remember much about how I felt about the original other than I liked it. I know I said earlier that Cher is ALWAYS necessary, but after seeing it, I thought her character was important because
it was significant for Amanda Seyfried's character to have a blood relative who would be there for her now that her Mom was gone.
Plus Cher is ALWAYS necessary. I was laughing about this because I was thinking about how screenwriters should find a way to bring Cher into whatever movie they are writing. Okay...I admit it, I'm an uber!! :D

I agree about the eye candy, but there's also lots of ear candy. I liked how between each scene we were given short instrumental pieces of random Abba songs that haven't fit into one of the movies storyline (yet?). Speaking of random, I also liked how
they fit Abba member Björn Ulvaeus into the graduation scene. Wonder if the other gentleman with him was Benny Andersson (didn't look like him), but I see now at imdb.com that Andersson was in the movie as the "café pianist".

Josh Dylan was eye candy to me! And Colin Firth still is... ;) Wish we'd seen a little more of Dominic Cooper. I missed his curls.

Josh Dylan was the best of the younger men, his singing and (limited) dancing were the most natural. Related to Dylan in a way is another random moment:
when the Greek official (who was very funny) commented on Dylan as an adult (Stellan Skarsgård) and said something alone the lines of "your face has collapsed"...that got one of the bigger laughs. Cool for Skarsgård to not be overly sensitive and not object to being talked about in that way...well his CHARACTER talked about in that way... :lol:

I will admit I saw 'Mama Mia 2! And I admit I enjoyed it.
It is what it is - ABBA music and a bunch of actors having fun!
Lily James as the younger Donna (Meryl Streep's role) and Amanda Seyfried as Sophie are the stars of the film.
Both did well, and I think Lily James was great. They guys they cast as the younger Brosnan, Skarsgaard and Firth were really good and seemed like them.
Andy Garcia has been busy - in this and was in Bookclub. He is aging quite nicely.
Perfect movie a weekday night after a busy day at work.
There is one scene that is just too fricking hilarious - when Dancing Queen is being sung - with Firth and Skarsgaard. Boy were they having fun.

The king of the world pose from Titanic [/spoiler)

I agree about your spoiler. :rofl: One of many laughs in the movie. Now I'm wondering if there are enough ABBA songs for a part three in the film series. I love ABBA, so I'd love to see if they could make that work.

VGThuy

Lily James has blown up since her time as Lady Sybil's replacement in Downton Abbey. I admit it took me a long time to go back to watching the show after a certain something happened, but James ended up playing one of my favorite characters on the show.

manhn

Yep, Rose is the exact type of character the audience would hate. The writers did well for her, but it really is all on Lily. Her sweetness shines through.

ETA: I wished Cher did more film work. She was so good in the 80s. She should do something like Bookclub.

PeterG

Coldwater is a 2013 drama/thriller made for $700,000 by nobody famous and starring nobody famous. It’s about a juvenile reform facility in the middle of nowhere where “problem” teenage boys are sent. But the men running the place have their own difficulties - and over time, things start to fall apart in bits and pieces until… Well, you have to see this movie. I’ve been thinking about it and how it’s the type of movie that in the days after viewing it, it’s like a voice inside you saying, “hey…remember me…I’m not to be forgotten…I’m important…think about me some more…” I love this movie. So much that I added it to my best films of all time list at #23. I hope you see this movie!!!

snoopy

We saw equalizer 2. It was good to spend two hours where the bad guys lose the whole time. They don’t even pretend there is a chance the bad guys will win.

An American in Paris is on tv right now. Every song is a home run.

peibeck

Simply looking
I saw "Mission Impossible: Fallout" today. Great action sequences, and Henry Cavill is :swoon: even with that horrible beard. Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames still make fun sidekicks and well... Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise. :p I have enjoyed all the "MI" films, but they've never been anything I've gone back and rewatched. Therefore I freely admit I didn't really even remember much about the Sean Harris villain. :shuffle: It didn't stop me from enjoying my afternoon with a ridiculously crazy espionage movie though. ;)

watchthis!!

I saw "Mission Impossible: Fallout" today. Great action sequences, and Henry Cavill is :swoon: even with that horrible beard. Simon Pegg and Ving Rhames still make fun sidekicks and well... Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise. :p I have enjoyed all the "MI" films, but they've never been anything I've gone back and rewatched. Therefore I freely admit I didn't really even remember much about the Sean Harris villain. :shuffle: It didn't stop me from enjoying my afternoon with a ridiculously crazy espionage movie though. ;)

I'm glad Ving Rhames still has a sense of humour. I heard about this a few days and it stuck with me:

Police held ‘Mission: Impossible’ actor Ving Rhames at gunpoint for entering his own home
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...wn-home/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b96742d58d73

I can't imagine what it must be like for people who are treat suspiciously for no other reason than the colour of skin they were born with. And this was in Santa Monica, not like the deep south or other places where we've heard of lots of problems of this sort. I wonder if the neighbour had the balls to apologize to Rhames. :(

smurfy

Lily James has blown up since her time as Lady Sybil's replacement in Downton Abbey. I admit it took me a long time to go back to watching the show after a certain something happened, but James ended up playing one of my favorite characters on the show.

ITA it took awhile to warm up to her on Downton and by the end she was great.
Interesting how her film career is doing compared to Sybil (Jessica Brown Findlay) and Matthew (Dan Stevens).
I assume part of the reason they left was to pursue opportunities that were popping up due to Downton's success.
The other Downton alum I see is the actor that played Robert -he has lots of supporting roles.

VGThuy

Lily James and Jessica Brown Findlay did end up doing a movie together very recently. I watched Findlay's new show on Hulu with the Samantha Morton and the excellent Lesley Manville (love her!) so Findlay is doing pretty well for herself. I just think James has that look that is desirable for feature films.

PeterG

For Your (Oscar) Consideration:

Best Picture: Leave No Trace

Best Director: Debra Granik (previously Oscar-nominated for writing Winter's Bone, starring Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes)

Best Screenplay: Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini (twice Oscar-nominated for producing and writing Winter's Bone)

Best Actor: Ben Foster (Oscar-snubbed for Hell Or High Water, 3:10 To Yuma...and many others)

Best Actress: Thomasin McKenzie (18 Year Old Actress from New Zealand who played Astrid in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies)

Maybe a best cinematography nomination as well. There's too many things for me to say about what I liked about this movie. It's an incredible drama about what life is like for people in the military once their time serving their country has come to an end. And I loved how there are no over-the-top moments of anyone screaming at each other or slamming doors or storming out after something has been said or done that they did not like. The writing and performances are understated, but that doesn't mean that the movie is not powerful. Because it is. It's another one of those movies that stays with you days after seeing it.

One more thing I liked is that the movie is directed by a woman, is written by two women and is produced by three women. There are males as executive producers in addition to the three female producers as well. Leave No Trace is playing at theatres now...and is a must-see.

I am adding this movie to my favourites movies of all time list at #42.

Another movie I have to see that just opened here is Leave No Trace. It's the second movie directed by Debra Granik whose first movie was Winter's Bone. This one is also a coming of age story about a girl who has been living off the grid in the OR woods with her PTSD father but then they have to relocate & live in a regular community.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=_07ktacEGo8

I looked into what else Granik has done, so I'm going to search out her 2004 directorial debut, Down To The Bone, which stars Vera Farmiga (who I love). It has a 6.7 rating at imdb.com, which is pretty high. At rotten tomatoes, 70% of the audience liked it and 90% of critics liked it. Granik also did a documentary in 2014 called Stray Dog that sounds interesting. The write-up at imdb.com:

A contemplative portrait of Ron 'Stray Dog' Hall: biker, Vietnam Vet, and lover of small dogs.

watchthis!!

We saw equalizer 2. It was good to spend two hours where the bad guys lose the whole time. They don’t even pretend there is a chance the bad guys will win.

I saw this last night. Well made movie. But
I knew that when they showed Denzel's character being happy with Melissa Leo as a friend...that she was doomed. And sure enough, she was killed dead way too soon. Maybe Bill Pullman will be his buddy in part three? Looks like Denzel has moved on to somewhere completely new at film's end, though.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
For Your (Oscar) Consideration:

Best Picture: Leave No Trace

Best Director: Debra Granik (previously Oscar-nominated for writing Winter's Bone, starring Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes)

Best Screenplay: Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini (twice Oscar-nominated for producing and writing Winter's Bone)

Best Actor: Ben Foster (Oscar-snubbed for Hell Or High Water, 3:10 To Yuma...and many others)

Best Actress: Thomasin McKenzie (18 Year Old Actress from New Zealand who played Astrid in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies)

Maybe a best cinematography nomination as well. There's too many things for me to say about what I liked about this movie. It's an incredible drama about what life is like for people in the military once their time serving their country has come to an end. And I loved how there are no over-the-top moments of anyone screaming at each other or slamming doors or storming out after something has been said or done that they did not like.

We're kindred spirits! Those are major pet peeves of mine. :) This sounds good. Thanks for the rec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information