Korean skating news & updates

zebobes

Is anyone else disappointed that Minkyu isn't going to Junior worlds? I would have sent Hyungyeom Kim to 4CC instead, but Korea's incredibly laborious ranking competition process means that Hyungyeom can't be sent to 4CC, as that has already been decided by a prior competition.

If you compare their international results, Minkyu has also been incredibly consistent, always scoring in the 220 range.

Hopefully Korea will have more male spots next year and won't be stuck in such a difficult position, but I think I'm getting to be a Minkyu fan, and I think his results also speak for themselves.

seabm7

Dabin Choi posted an article on Naver.

She had to skip the entire 2018-2019 competitions because of boots troubles.

Recently, the company (SP-Teri) started producing her favorite (but softer) model again, but this version lasts only 3 months and should be changed periodically. Dabin skipped the official send-off ceremony to Universiade to recover lost training time due to boot changes.

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Dabin Choi posted an article on Naver.

She had to skip the entire 2018-2019 competitions because of boots troubles.

Recently, the company (SP-Teri) started producing her favorite (but softer) model again, but this version lasts only 3 months and should be changed periodically. Dabin skipped the official send-off ceremony to Universiade to recover lost training time due to boot changes.
It's great to see Dabin back :).

Do we anything about Hanul Kim and Eunsoo Lim? Have they both retired?

seabm7

It's great to see Dabin back :).

Do we anything about Hanul Kim and Eunsoo Lim? Have they both retired?

It looks like they are sort of retired. I do not think they will announce it officially, though. They are still attending college and may want to open the door for a while.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Yuna Kim has donated $100K to aid disaster relief efforts in Turkey and Syria as per this article in Korean, which mentions previous projects she's worked on as a UNICEF goodwill ambassador in Korea and abroad:

Sylvia

TBD
Successful 4CC for the Korean women! :)

GOLD Haein LEE 210.84 6 1 (3 ISU SB scores, incl. 69.13 in SP & 141.71 in FS)
SILVER Yelim KIM 209.29 1 3 (ISU SB 72.84 for her SP)
4 Chaeyeon KIM 202.39 3 5 (ISU SB & PB 71.39 for her SP)

Haien is the first Korean skater to win 4CC since Yuna Kim in 2009! :)

seabm7

One of KSU Youtube channels is showing the Winter Festival competitions,

A = senior, B = junior, C = novice, D = pre-novice

day 1
pre-novice fs

novice women elementary school sp
novice men sp

day 2
synchro elementary school
synchro fs

novice women elementray school fs
novice men fs

novice women middel school and up sp
junior men sp
junior college & adult sp

day 3
novice women middle school and up fs
junior men fs
junior women college & adult fs

junior women elementary & high school sp

day 4
junior women elementray & high school fs

junior women middle & high school sp
senior sp

day 5
junior women middle school fs
senior fs

Last edited:

kre56

I hope the Koreans don’t overload their top girls. They seem to be competing a lot and maybe should be resting a little bit before worlds?

sk8nlizard

Okay, I just skimmed through all the Senior Level short programs. Was this a required competition? All 3 of the ladies from 4CC were there and 2 of the ladies competing at Junior Worlds Next week! I didn’t see Jia Shin or Young You. Can someone more in the know explain what this competition does? It seems like sense assignments for JW and World’s have already been given out, people could have skipped it to rest?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Okay, I just skimmed through all the Senior Level short programs. Was this a required competition? All 3 of the ladies from 4CC were there and 2 of the ladies competing at Junior Worlds Next week! I didn’t see Jia Shin or Young You. Can someone more in the know explain what this competition does? It seems like sense assignments for JW and World’s have already been given out, people could have skipped it to rest?
You is at Challenge Cup this week.

Marco

I had the same question last season and I remember someone explained that all these domestic competitions serve different purposes. Some are for internal ranking, some are for assignments, some are for monitoring and some are for funding. I don't know whether the Korean federation had control over all these competitions (and their timing against international comps), and whether they prefer more competitions to boost fitness / consistency / exposure or whether they simply did not believe in fatigue.

seabm7

KSU does not require this competition for any of selection processes including national team member.

But Winter Festival cometition results have a large weight for college application portfolio. Multiple medal counts here is better for the portfolio.

I heard a rumor that schools and colleges like skaters competing here, since it gives these institutionts more exposure at the national level. But how much of this rumor is true I do not know.

For Jun's case, it seems that he just wanted one more competition experience.

On My Own

Jia is absolutely lovely. I hope she's on her way to developing a distinct personal style. Wish she'd not be forced to clutter her skating.

Minsol and Yujae are very lively skaters too. (edit: fixed spelling error)

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Jia is absolutely lovely. I hope she's on her way to developing a distinct personal style. Wish she'd not be forced to clutter her skating.

Minsol and Yujae are very lively skaters too. (edit: fixed spelling error)
Jia is distinct and personal - gorgeous and glamorous! Truly feminine.

Yesterday’s W SP event was magnificent. I can’t wait to rewatch the Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Canadian again. Love them all. Only a few of the Europeans went blah and dark.

Sylvia

TBD
Yujae Kim's 4th place FS with clean 3A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLoJ-iSNtE4

ETA:
[KOR Nationals] Women's final standings, scores & FS protocols: https://twitter.com/skatingkor/status/1611991794941841409
1 Jia Shin 213.01 2 1 (142.06 FS) - Junior Worlds
2 Yelim Kim 210.28 1 2 (138.69) - 4CC & Worlds
3 Haein Lee 205.31 3 3 (134.56) - 4CC & Worlds
4 Chaeyeon Kim 200.60 4 6 (129.91) - 4CC & Worlds
5 Minsol Kwon 196.43 8 4 (131.92) - Junior Worlds
6 Yujae Kim 193.97 10 5 (130.64 FS with clean 3A!) - Junior Worlds; her twin, Yuseong Kim, won the Junior title

ETA:

2023-24 National team (scores are combined from December's ranking comp. & Nationals, IIRC): https://twitter.com/skatingkor/status/1611994353949450240
Men (4): Junhwan Cha, Sihyeong Lee, Minkyu Seo, Hyungyeom Kim
Women (8): Jia Shin, Chaeyeon Kim, Haein Lee, Yelim Kim, Minsol Kwon, Yujae Kim, Seoyeong Wi, Seojin Youn

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
After her FS at Junior Worlds, GS tweeted: "... She has exciting plans: Next week she will travel to Toronto to have her programs for next season choreographed by David Wilson! She doesn’t know yet what to expect but is very excited about it."

@nuage just posted this in the Canadian Women's news thread:
Cute pic: [junior national champion] Hetty Shi ... meets Jia Shin from Korea. https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp3Ij4PPW0O/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
In The Loop has posted 2 interviews from Junior Worlds in Calgary.

Ice Dance silver medalists Hannah Lim & Ye Quan (20 mins. + transcript on March 5): https://www.inthelopodcast.com/news/interview-hannah-lim-ye-quan
RD video (71.08 , 2nd): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybQsJ-l76uE
FD video (103.31, 2nd): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEUnEkU1VLk

Minsol Kim (March 9): https://www.inthelopodcast.com/news/interview-minsol-kwon

Fun Q&A video with Minsol Kwon, Jia Shin, [ice dancer] Jinny Kim and Yujae Kim at Junior Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61C61Qg7l8

seabm7

KSU officially announced the Team Trophy news. This means if KSU gets a ticket, they are willing to send the team.

Samurina

KSU officially announced the Team Trophy news. This means if KSU gets a ticket, they are willing to send the team.

would they send Cho / Adcock and Lim / Quan??

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information