Korean skating news & updates

seabm7

KSU uploaded an update for the JGP selection competition:

In short,
1. If the social distancing is in Phase II: The competition will be the usual face-to-face format at Taereung Training center.
2. Else if the social distancing is in Phase III: The competition will be the virtual format (taped?) at Mokdong Ice Rink.
3. Else if the social distancing is in Phase IV: They haven't decided what to do yet.

The confirmation of the format will announced on July 26th. I just hope they do not cancel the competition. The metropolitan area is currently in Phase IV.

seabm7

The JGP selection competition starting order is posted here:

seabm7

Hangil KIM (born 2003) of South Korea withdrew from JGP No. 1 and Jaekeun LEE (born 2007) has been added to JGP No. 3.

According to a rumor, JGP No. 1 falls in the same week of the Nebelhorn/Universiade selection competition, so college attending skaters cannot participate in JGP No. 1.

ETD: Hagil KIM does not participate in the Nebelhorn/Universiade selection competition, either.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Korea has 3 junior ladies competing in the 2nd JGP in Courchevel this week:
Seoyeon JI - 4th (172.06) in Courchevel last week with a new ISU PB in FS (115.91): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mc6MGwaM7s
Chaeyeon KIM (JGP debut)
Ahsun YUN - came back from 10th in SP to place 5th (109.06) in FS & overall (157.24) in Courchevel last week in her JGP debut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcSXhEwn8vc

Min/Eaton placed 6th at the Lake Placid Ice Dance International earlier this month (62.63 in RD, 94.61 in FD, 157.24 total) - from IDC's recap (linked from the U.S. Ice Dance news thread here):
Yuri Min & Daniel Eaton (KOR) skated their first competition since the 2019 Four Continents in Korea because of Eatonโ€™s back injury which occurred duing the 2019 pre-season. The team has only been back on the ice for seven months, so they didnโ€™t even attempt to do Worlds in Sweden. Thatโ€™s why Oberstdorf and qualifying for the OWGs for Korea is their main goal. Their next event is the Lombardia Trophy in Bergamo, ITA September 10-12. Afterwards theyโ€™ll stay and train in Europe for two weeks, while also getting used to the time change before the Nebelhorn Trophy two weeks later.

Last edited:

seabm7

Entry Summary of Korean JGP participants:

(): Not confirmed yet. Based on the Korean JGP selection competition.

* Originally assigned to No. 1. No reason is given officially on why he moved to No. 6. Since Hangil KIM and Hyungyeom KIM share the same coaching team, it looks like a decision to reduce the travel cost/risk.

** Originally assigned to JGP Russia (No. 4). After Korea imposed two week quarantine on travelers from Russia regardless of the vaccination, the skaters moved to other competitions.

*** Originally assigned to No. 3. Moved to No. 2 after entry to US (half of her training place) from France got denied.

Last edited:

Marco

Somehow, the top junior Korean women have become more jump focused and are no longer the musical skaters they were known to be. I would love it if more up and comer skaters are like Haein Lee than Young You.

azcalder

Korea has 3 junior ladies competing in the 2nd JGP in Courchevel this week:
Seoyeon JI - 4th (172.06) in Courchevel last week with a new ISU PB in FS (115.91): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mc6MGwaM7s
Chaeyeon KIM (JGP debut)
Ahsun YUN - came back from 10th in SP to place 5th (109.06) in FS & overall (157.24) in Courchevel last week in her JGP debut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcSXhEwn8vc

Min/Eaton placed 6th at the Lake Placid Ice Dance International earlier this month (62.63 in RD, 94.61 in FD, 157.24 total) - from IDC's recap (linked from the U.S. Ice Dance news thread here):
Min & Eaton will be doing the US Classic instead of Lombardia Trophy. They'll head to Germany after the event to compete at Nebelhorn.

gotoschool

Quite a few months late in making this post here but I was struck even more after revisiting it at how impressive Haein Lee's Black Swan at Worlds was. To me, it is actually her most impressive program. Such lovely and emotionally compelling expression, marvelous musicality, light fast fluidity over the ice, consummate commitment to the choreography that brings out a dark refined beauty, meticulous extension in movement wtih her arms waving gracefully like a swan taking off from an icy lake and those lovely poses at the beginning and end when she arched her back and looked behind at the camera with her arms outstretched, and the elegant yet slightly edgy costuming with the black mesh. Not too dramatic, but balanced just right in combining dynamic emotion with subtlety and blooming maturity in delivery and a crescendo in confidence as she overcame her early mistake and her jumps, spins, steps, turns and movements grew so smooth, fluid and flexible. Anyway, I hope Haein Lee has a great season and that we get to see her skate soon because I really miss her performances. Haein is one of the few skaters who makes me look far past the prosaic world of scores to get a glimpse of a sublime beauty that isn't quantified.

Last edited:

Samurina

Hopefully, KSU gives Jaekeun LEE a 2nd spot if Hyungyeom KIM doesn't perform he was such a joy to watch in Koล›ice.

Sylvia

TBD
Yeonjeong Park, 15, who won the silver at the 2019 Lake Placid JGP and finished 8th at 2021 Korean senior nationals, skated impressively in her senior international debut this weekend at the U.S. Classic in Boston and won SILVER! (71.07 in SP, 141.33 in her 7-triple FS, 212.40 total, but these scores won't count for ISU PB/SB)

She & her coach spoke in the mixed zone afterwards: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1439437038290354178
Yeonjeong Park, here with coach Hong Yeseul, won silver w/2 near perfect programs & 212.40 points. Through an interpreter, she said, "I never imagined I could get that score. I did not expect it. I was so happy to hear it."
Park, from Seoul, said she began training with Rafael Arutunian's group in the L.A. area on Sept. 1 & will stay 3 months. Then, after Korean nationals in late Dec/Jan, she plans to return: "I did practice a lot, but I am not satisfied. I hope to do better next time."
Born Jan. 19, 2006, Park is age eligible for Olympics: "I don't think I can make it, but I am going to try hard to make it. I hope I can." She was 8th in Korea last season. The country has 2 Olympic spots for women.
Coach Hong Yeseul is thrilled with Park's progress: "She does really, really practice a lot, but before this she always made mistakes in every competition. I never thought about the Olympics until now, but she is always working hard, so I hope."

Marco

Yeonjeong Park, 15, who won the silver at the 2019 Lake Placid JGP and finished 8th at 2021 Korean senior nationals, skated impressively in her senior international debut this weekend at the U.S. Classic in Boston and won SILVER! (71.07 in SP, 141.33 in her 7-triple FS, 212.40 total, but these scores won't count for ISU PB/SB)

She & her coach spoke in the mixed zone afterwards: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1439437038290354178
That's a shame. Impressing knees, but kind of boring to watch.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Ricoโ€ฆWith Love! Not LatinX!
Yeonjeong Park was extraordinarily beautiful to watch this weekend at US Classic! Real gazelle in physique. Heavenly packaging/dresses. Fabulous jumps/quick turns. She could very well make the Korean teams for Olympics or Worlds, if she keeps this up.

Sylvia

TBD
Congratulations to Sihyeong LEE on placing 4th in the FS (landed a clean opening quad Salchow) in setting all new ISU personal best scores in his 5th place finish at Nebelhorn Trophy (79.95 in SP, 149.19 in FS, 229.14 total) and earning a 2nd Olympic spot for South Korea/hopefully himself!

IDC article on Yura Min/Daniel Eaton published after last week's U.S. International Classic ("When they performed their new rhythm dance [to Macklemore's "Thrift Shop"] in front of judges at the Classic last Friday, it was only their third run-through of the program"): https://www.ice-dance.com/site/min-eaton-pin-olympic-hopes-on-macklemore/
After the Nebelhorn RD they are in contention (66.79) for one of the 4 Olympic ice dance spots (the 4 teams ahead of them are FIN 70.92, CZE 70.51, ARM 68.61, GEO 66.95).

seabm7

According to an Q & A in an instagram post by Coach Bitna PARK, Minchae KIM will enter either Cup of Austria or Warsaw Cup as a senior.

If Minchae manages to get the senior TES minimum, the competition for the Olympic tickets will become even more tighter. There are seven skaters who are/were capable of 190 points and up.

Young YOUPB 223.23 (2020 4CC)182.88 Cranberry Cup
180.25 CS Autumn Classic
Eunsoo LIMPB 205.57 (2019 Worlds)
Haein LEEPB 203.40 (2019 JGP Croatia)
Yelim KIMPB 202.76 (2020 4CC)
Seoyeong WIPB 193.30 (2020 J Worlds)
Minchae KIMPB 192.48 (2021 JGP Slovenia)
Yeonjeong PARKPB 186.58 (2019 JGP US)212.40 US international

Last edited:

seabm7

Min & Eaton news article:

Last year Daniel got a back injury during a lift practice. After he recovered, Yura & Daniel trained for 5 months.

Daniel wants to continue another cycle, but Yura is considering several options including retirement. They will take a rest for the time being.

Last edited:

Kateri

void beast
Min & Eaton news article:

Last year Daniel got a back injury during a lift practice. After he got recovered, Yura & Daniel trained for 5 months.

Daniel wants to continue another cycle, but Yura is considering several options including retirement. They will take a rest for the time being.
I hope they continue, but I saw something like this coming from her "100% done" face in the Nebelhorn K&C. And if she's been watching Lim/Quan, she might know there's no guarantee she'll be getting the Korean dance spots, going forwards.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I hope they continue, but I saw something like this coming from her "100% done" face in the Nebelhorn K&C. And if she's been watching Lim/Quan, she might know there's no guarantee she'll be getting the Korean dance spots, going forwards.
Eh, 4CCs would be a guarantee and much as I like Lim/Quan, they've got a ways to go before they're going to surpass Min/Eaton on the senior level. Beyond that, with the field, hopefully, clearing out due to retirements after this season, I think Min/Eaton could definitely see a significant rise in the standings.

seabm7

23rd Espoire Competition, i.e., under 13-year old

Day 1 - Level 1 (preliminary & juvenile)

mtnskater

Look out world as all of these talented Korean junior women mature. The JGP is loaded with young women who can do perfect, effortless 3 lutz/3 toe combos, and everything else pretty great too. And they all seem to have the same young woman coach. Who is she?? Kudos to her.

seabm7

Look out world as all of these talented Korean junior women mature. The JGP is loaded with young women who can do perfect, effortless 3 lutz/3 toe combos, and everything else pretty great too. And they all seem to have the same young woman coach. Who is she?? Kudos to her.

Several young woman coaches came to the JGP competitions this season. Two such coaches are present at JGP Poland, Bitna PARK (2004 Olympian) and Yeaji SHIN (choreographer).

Bitna Park is the coach for Minchae Kim and Jia Shin. (Ms. Park was also at JGP France I & II as the coach for Ahsun YUN.) Yeaji Shin is the choreographer for the entire Korean contingency at JGP Ploand, and I heard she came here because other coaches have schedule conflicts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information