Korean skating news & updates

seabm7

Ranking Competition, 1st day live:

Unfortunately, I am quite busy for the next two weeks, so cannot update what is happening in the Korean skating world.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
After Ladies' SP, according to @Sylvia's twitter

Sr. Women SP top 7:
Yelim Kim 72.14 - Ripp3Lz3T, 2A, 3F
Young You 71.03 - 3A step, 3Lz3T, 3F
Haein Lee 67.98 - 3Lz3T, 2A, 3F
Yeonjeong Park 66.83 - 3Lz3T, 2A, 3F
Ahsun Yun 66.27 - 3Lz3T, 2A, 3F
Seoyoung Wi 65.88 - 2A, 3F, 3Lz3T
Eunsoo Lim 62.86 - 3Lz, 2A step, 3F2T

Good for Kim and You. Very tight for third place.

Sylvia

TBD
Just realized the final results from the Ranking Competition were posted in the Kiss & Cry thread but not here - Twitter thread compilation for the women: https://twitter.com/skatingkor/status/1467381613378027523

Dec. 5th article after the Ranking Competition:
Machine translated excerpts:
With a total score of 239.16, including 87.09 points in the short program, Cha Jun-hwan surpassed 2nd place Si-hyeong Lee (237.01 points, Korea University) and 3rd place Gyeong Jae-seok (Kyunghee University, 204.64 points) to reach the top.
In the women's singles free skating that was held earlier, Yooyoung received 137.56 points, including 71.68 points for TES, 66.88 points for PCS, and one point deduction.
With a total score of 208.59 points, including 71.03 points in the short program, Yoo Young beat 2nd place Kim Ye-rim (205.82 points, Surigo) and 3rd place Yoon Ah-seon (200.97 points, Gwangdong Middle School).
Cha Jun-hwan and Yoo-young, who took first place in the men's and women's division, aim to secure their qualification for the Olympics through the second round of the national championship and national team selection to be held from the 8th to the 9th of next month.
The men's singles Cha Jun-hwan, Lee Si-hyeong, and Kyung Jae-seok and the women's singles You Young, Kim Ye-lim and Lee Hae-in were also qualified to participate in the Four Continents Championships in this tournament.
In the women's singles, 3rd place Yoon Ah-sun, 4th place Shin Ji-a (Yeongdong Middle School), and 5th place Kim Chae-yeon (Yang Su-jung) did not meet the senior age qualifications, so Hae-in Lee, who ranked next, secured the place.

Sylvia

TBD
June 1, 2020:
Sunghoon PARK (2020 Korean National Men's 7th) will particpate in I-LAND, a new reality idol project at Mnet:

His figure skating activities will be on hold for the time being.
Sept. 19, 2020:
Sunghoon got selected as a member of the new boy-band at the I-Land final. Congratulations! This is a pretty good news, though this designates the end of his figure skating career.
Non-competition update ;):

seabm7

The winter universiades has been canceled, which killed a rare international competition opportunities for college attending skaters. It's a bad luck for them, since traveling to an international competition is pretty difficult nowadays. Universiade is one of B competitions which KOC and KSU regard seriously, so athletes could get help when applying for the travel permission from their respective colleges. Here is the list of the figure skaters who were supposed to fly to Luzern:

Men:
Jaeseok KYEONG
Deokhoon JEONG

Women:
Dabin CHOI
Hanul KIM

Last edited:

seabm7

Dabin Choi will retire after Korean Winter Festival on February. She was really looking forward to participating in the Winter Universiades, which was canceled due to the current situation in Europe. She mentioned these at a TV show, which will be uploaded to the Naver TV archive next week,

seabm7

Here is a good news. The Korean government reduced the quarantine period for the Olympic bound skaters who returned from the Estonia 4CC. The quarantine will be 2 days instead of 10 days. They will do PCR tests during this time. Then the skaters can train at Taereung Indoor Rink as a cohort (= an isolated group).

Last edited:

Marco

I am quite underwhelmed that the Korean Fed:

1. does not wait til 4CCs to decide the Olympic team, especially given the lack of internationals and head-to-heads in recent seasons for the top ladies;

2. has the skaters tire themselves out with so many internal comps with judging that isn't quite in line with international panels.

How many times has Young You crashed internationally in recent seasons?!

seabm7

2. has the skaters tire themselves out with so many internal comps with judging that isn't quite in line with international panels.

Participating in these additional internal competitions is mainly for college entrance portfolios. KSU cannot control the situation in this matter, because figure skaters are building their portfolios to compete against other candidates from all the sports disciplines. KSU requires only two competitions: ranking and National.

Unless you are a world champion like Yuna Kim, it would be better to record more wins in college application documents.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

1. does not wait til 4CCs to decide the Olympic team, especially given the lack of internationals and head-to-heads in recent seasons for the top ladies;

How many times has Young You crashed internationally in recent seasons?!
The Olympic team was decided after Korean Nats (same weekend as US & Canadian Nats) and was a combination of the scores from the Ranking Competition in December (which decided their 4CCs team) and K-Nats. I don't think they'll be changing the O-team - for sure not the men since Junhwan and Sihyeong finished well ahead of Jaeseok. And I expect that Young and Yelim are both still going to the Olympics, despite Haein beating both of them in Tallinn.

Samurina

The Olympic team was decided after Korean Nats (same weekend as US & Canadian Nats) and was a combination of the scores from the Ranking Competition in December (which decided their 4CCs team) and K-Nats. I don't think they'll be changing the O-team - for sure not the men since Junhwan and Sihyeong finished well ahead of Jaeseok. And I expect that Young and Yelim are both still going to the Olympics, despite Haein beating both of them in Tallinn.
Both young and Kim have scored higher than haein all season

Dobre

I thought it was great to see them both really step up in the moment. Yelim's two clean skates were one of the highlights of the event for me. Fingers crossed that they will keep competing for a while in the future & that they can maybe snag that third berth for next year's Worlds.

seabm7

Korean Winter Sports Festival will be held this week, Feb 23-25. This event is organized by KOC and categorized by level and age. Elite figure skaters participate in the event to create college application portfolios.

This is the final competition of Dabin CHOI.

Updated time table,

Starting order,

By level:
A Senior
B Junior
C Novice
D Intermediate

By age:
13 and under
16 and under
19 and under
collegiate
others

Overall schedule is complicated. For senior,

Feb. 26 afternoon Senior short
Feb. 27 Senior free

Live streaming by YouTube,

Video archive,

Last edited:

seabm7

Dabin CHOI decided to postpone her retirement. She realized she still likes skating while preparing for Korea Winter Festival. The sources are here,

KaoriFan

I’m really pleased the Korean girls brought it and I though Yelim was shamefully underscored.

I thought it was great to see them both really step up in the moment. Yelim's two clean skates were one of the highlights of the event for me. Fingers crossed that they will keep competing for a while in the future & that they can maybe snag that third berth for next year's Worlds.

So happy for Young, Yelim and especially Junhwan!

Let's hope the success in the women will finally allow them to use non-war horse music in the future! And here's hoping Young and Yelim can help grab a 3rd woman's spot for Korea (Go Haein!)

Congrats to Young You and Yelim, they both skated so well. Both Korean girls were shamefully underscored. Yelim same score as Mariah Bell LOL! I mean I was happy for Mariah to fight for her free skate and finish clean, but come on already that's a joke.

Young You had one of the most fantastic skates of the whole night, right there with Kaori. I would put them #1 and #2. Does anyone know if she had a wardrobe malfunction? It looked like her dress was torn by her shoulder and she keep pulling at it during her free skate. If so, wow! I can't believe she managed to have the best skate of her life while dealing with distraction like that.

Young was really underscored too. She should have easily been ahead of Waka (who fell) but since she was Japanese main competition for bronze medal, the judging was rigged against her to make sure Waka finish ahead with Kaori still to skate.

We all know "the situation" with Eteri skaters -- Young You will finish 5th at Olys when Valieva DQ'd and I hope one day she will get the Olympic medal she deserves and she earned.

Scott512

The top two Korean ladies were fabulous at the Olympics. I don't think they have the full respect from the judges yet especially with the PCS scores.

What happened to Eunsoo this season? She's a tall and talented girl and I remember her from the Juniors I figured she would make it big as a senior. She still could of course because she's so young.

seabm7

Nahyun KIM retired after her last competition at Winter Festival,

Both Nahyun and Dabin got graduated from Univerversities a couple of weeks ago.

seabm7

What happened to Eunsoo this season? She's a tall and talented girl and I remember her from the Juniors I figured she would make it big as a senior. She still could of course because she's so young.

Eunsoo had injury problems, coaching changes, etc since 2019-2020 season. She tried to recover 3-3 during 2020-2021 but the success rate was low. If I remember correctly, Eunsoo was doing 3-2 this season, which is not enough to get 4cc/World/Olympic tickets.

Scott512

Eunsoo had injury problems, coaching changes, etc since 2019-2020 season. She tried to recover 3-3 during 2020-2021 but the success rate was low. If I remember correctly, Eunsoo was doing 3-2 this season, which is not enough to get 4cc/World/Olympic tickets.
Thanks. It's so tough being a young promising skater the obstacles that overcome are endless.

I hope Eunsoo can get her triple triple back at some point and that will help her confidence.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The top two Korean ladies were fabulous at the Olympics. I don't think they have the full respect from the judges yet especially with the PCS scores.

Eun Soo was 9th at the most recent Korean nationals. She in recovery/ comeback mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information