Korean skating news & updates

Marco

Bummed about the ladies but hurray for Cha Junhwan!

Was it a mistake not sending You Young? Haein Lee and Yelim Kim were so solid in the short though. I was actually more confident in them instead of the US ladies in pulling off that 3rd spot.

s_parks

Bummed about the ladies but hurray for Cha Junhwan!

Was it a mistake not sending You Young? Haein Lee and Yelim Kim were so solid in the short though. I was actually more confident in them instead of the US ladies in pulling off that 3rd spot.
With how inconsistent Young's been looking this past season, I fear she would've made just as many if not more mistakes. I think any of them would be feeling the pressure of trying to get a third spot.

Kateri

void beast
With how inconsistent Young's been looking this past season, I fear she would've made just as many if not more mistakes. I think any of them would be feeling the pressure of trying to get a third spot.
And if she falls on the big jumps, the rest of her skating doesn't hold up nearly as well as the others.

seabm7

Class Championships
May 13-16 at Uijeongbu Sports Complex Ice Rink

The competition is categorized by age groups in addition to the usual pre-novice/novice/junior/senior. Usually, elite skaters skip this spring competition, but it's possible a little more of them may show up this year.

Dobre

Was it a mistake not sending You Young? Haein Lee and Yelim Kim were so solid in the short though.
No, they did well for a first Worlds. They just came up short of three berths. It always helps to have experience when you're trying to qualify; and the only way to get that experience, is to go to Worlds and get it. Korea's challenge is that all its young ladies are young & trying to gain that experience at the same time. Then there's so much competition at home that if you hit a rough patch while you grow a little, you can't make the team for the major internationals. Ultimately, I think that's OK. The young ladies are all gaining experience. It would have been great if Yelim could have gained that experience at Worlds last year & brought it with her into the competition this year, but considering that rinks were closed, I think Haein & Yelim did well. It wasn't as well as they are capable of, but you have to get that experience. (Back in 2013, it was Sotnikova & Tuktamysheva who missed the magic number of 13 at their first World Championships, and both ultimately did very well & proved their metal).

Marco

No, they did well for a first Worlds. They just came up short of three berths. It always helps to have experience when you're trying to qualify; and the only way to get that experience, is to go to Worlds and get it. Korea's challenge is that all its young ladies are young & trying to gain that experience at the same time. Then there's so much competition at home that if you hit a rough patch while you grow a little, you can't make the team for the major internationals. Ultimately, I think that's OK. The young ladies are all gaining experience. It would have been great if Yelim could have gained that experience at Worlds last year & brought it with her into the competition this year, but considering that rinks were closed, I think Haein & Yelim did well. It wasn't as well as they are capable of, but you have to get that experience. (Back in 2013, it was Sotnikova & Tuktamysheva who missed the magic number of 13 at their first World Championships, and both ultimately did very well & proved their metal).
They absolutely did well for themselves but yes I was thinking about the 3rd spot and all these awesome Korean ladies.

seabm7

Yeonjeong PARK 2021-22 season music

SP: Chopin Ballade No. 4, choreo by David Wilson

FS: Hymne A L'amour, choreo by Pasquale Camerlengo

via her coach's instagram and YouTube posts.

ETD: Choreogrphaer info for FS added.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
It seems that Sihyeong Lee will participate in the Class Championships in May.
Good idea to start competing as soon as possible since he is the one most likely to compete at Nebelhorn Trophy for the 2nd Olympic spot.

Can you post more info about this comp. when it becomes available... and would you like to start a thread for 2021-22 Korean domestic competitions in the Kiss & Cry section?

seabm7

June-hyoung LEE started a new career in musical theatre. Here is an official interview in Korean by a local media:

June-hyoung cleaned his SNS and changed the handles to a new stage name at the end of March, so his fans speculated his retirement.

seabm7

The thread for the 2021 Class Championships has been started as

This year many elite level skaters registered for this competition, so it will be pretty interesting.

Marco

June-hyoung LEE started a new career in musical theatre. Here is an official interview in Korean by a local media:

June-hyoung cleaned his SNS and changed the handles to a new stage name at the end of March, so his fans speculated his retirement.

Is he quite injured? Or no longer has ice time due to Covid? He has been a clear 2nd Korean man behind Cha Junhwan since 2018 - I would imagine he has a good chance to be sent to grab that 2nd spot at Nebelhorn, successfully do it, and head to Beijing.

seabm7

Is he quite injured? Or no longer has ice time due to *********? He has been a clear 2nd Korean man behind Cha Junhwan since 2018 - I would imagine he has a good chance to be sent to grab that 2nd spot at Nebelhorn, successfully do it, and head to Beijing.

He has a back problem due to a traffic accident in 2015 summer. Their car got hit from the back by another car. He felt OK at that time. Later he started having pains, which was never healed.
(ETD: I became not so sure of the timeline, whether the accident happened before the flight to Colorado for the Tom Dickson program or after. So I removed the corresponding text.)

According to a rumor or a speculation, he was thinking of retiring at this year's Korean National, but the pandemic did not allow him enough training opportunities.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The thread for the 2021 Class Championships has been started as

This year many elite level skaters registered for this competition, so it will be pretty interesting.
I recommend checking out the Kiss & Cry thread with results and links to this weekend's videos. :) Some of the notable final results as summarized by @seabm7 in the Kiss & Cry thread:
Junior Women Elementary School
Minsol KWON 161.16

Junior Women Middle School
Jia SHIN 176.25

Senior Women Middle School
Ah-sun YUN 197.77
Min-chae KIM 184.96
Chae-yeon KIM 178.04

Senior Women High School
Seo Young WI 191.71
Eunsoo Lim WD'd. (She had a rough SP yesterday. The music false start/stop did not help at all.)

Senior Men High School
Young-hyun CHA 188.00

Senior Men College
Si-hyeong LEE 231.49
Jae-seok KYEONG 183.19
Sihyeong Lee debuted his 2021-22 SP to Polovtsian Dances from ‘Prince Igor’ by Borodin, choreographed by Yeaji Shin, at this competition.
He [June Hyong Lee] has been a clear 2nd Korean man behind Cha Junhwan since 2018 - I would imagine he has a good chance to be sent to grab that 2nd spot at Nebelhorn, successfully do it, and head to Beijing.
Sihyeong Lee is the leading contendor to be sent to Nebelhorn Trophy. At 2019 4CC, June Hyoung placed ahead overall between the two of them while Sihyeong finished 4 points ahead in the FS:
14 June Hyoung LEE KOR 188.10 16 14
15 Sihyeong LEE KOR 183.98 21 13

At 2020 4CC, Sihyeong placed ahead of June Hyoung:
14 Sihyeong LEE KOR 203.50 16 13
17 June Hyoung LEE KOR 198.95 14 17

Sihyeong Lee won the National Ranking competition in March 2021 (over Junhwan Cha) and this Korean article about Lee was published afterwards in which he talks about doing quads with both arms over his head ("There are a lot of players who do four-rotation jumps. But few players do four-rotation 'tano [Rippon] jumps. I wanted to differentiate myself. I have nothing to lose."):

Last edited:

seabm7

The ice rink at Lotte World Adventure in Seoul will be closed from July until the end of 2021 due to a basement renovation.

This is an unfortunate news, since the ice surface is one of the major ice facilities in the metropolitan area and frequently used by elite skaters.

seabm7

Sang Hwa Lee, the two time Olympic speed skating gold medalist in 500 meters, learned figure skating in a reality TV program. Here is her last episode,

Practice clip

Coaches: Haejin Kim and Soyeong Park

Enseble skaters for Sang Hwa Lee's performance: Haejin Kim, Soyeong Park, Kyueun Kim, Dabin Choi

Video Log by Haejin Kim

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting this here from the Canadian Ice Dance news thread (good catch by @Rafter):
The Quebec Summer Skate entry list has Hannah Lim (jr dance) representing the Korean Skating Union. I guess they’re switching countries?
Lim & her partner Ye Quan were on the Skate Canada 2020-21 NextGen team, coached by Patrice Lauzon & Pascal Denis at IAM.

ETA that their Patinage Quebec profile also lists Benjamin Brisebois as one of their coaches (Quan was born in Iceland!): https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020-2021_LimQuan_JuniorDanse.pdf
They placed 4th in Junior Dance at the virtual Challenge event that was broadcast in January 2021.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Grand Prix assignments announced thread:
I'm thrilled to see all the Korean ladies on the list, and the top 3 with two berths each. Took two years, but these young ladies got it done!
Yelim KIM - Skate America [#1] & Cup of China [#3]
Haein LEE - Skate Canada [#2] & Internationaux de France [#5]
Young YOU - Skate America & NHK Trophy [#4]
Eunsoo LIM - Cup of China & NHK Trophy
Seoyeong WI - NHK Trophy

Junhwan CHA - Cup of China & NHK Trophy

Sylvia

TBD
Young YOU and Seoyeon JI competed at the Broadmoor Open club competition in Colorado Springs yesterday and today. I've posted results & protocols links in the Kiss & Cry thread, starting here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-qualifying-competitions.108356/#post-6015814

You won Senior Ladies group A with a total score of 213.05 (74.39 in SP with a clean 3A; 138.66 in FS with 6 triples landed, including 2nd half 3Lz+1Eu+3S & 3Lz+3T combos).
Interesting... You had a downgraded 4s and a fall on an underrotated 3a. Is this the first time she's attempted a quad?
I think so? Does anyone know if she's attempted and/or landed a quad in Korean domestic competition?

seabm7

Last edited:

seabm7

KSU says if the social distancing stays at either Phase 3 or 4, they will use the virtual format for the JGP selection competition. In such a case,

KSU will film each performance at Mokdong Ice Rink (the usual 4CC venue. Definitely more spacious than Taereung Indoor Ice Rink), and will judge the event at a separate facility.

The confirmation on the format will happen on July 26th.

seabm7

KSU posted the qualification rules for the major international competitions:

In short,

• JGP selection competition (currently scheduled at the end of July)
  • Nebelhorn and Winter Universiade selection competition (logically, should happen during August)
  • Ranking competition - 4CC and Olympics (early December?)
  • National championships - Senior Worlds, Junior Worlds, and Olympics (early January)

The Olympic tickets are determined by the sum of the total points obtained at the ranking competition and the national championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information