2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

Debbie S

Does anyone know the rules underlying the seeding criteria for the Grand Prix? Thx
The top 3 at Worlds are 1 seeded group. 4-6 are the second. Each gets 2 events and gets to choose, in order of seeding. Only 1 from each group can be at each event with the exception that a host country can invite any of its own skaters w/o regard to seeding. (So if both H/D and C/B had finished top 3 they could still both be at SA.) The seeded skaters get to submit their choices but there is also a lot of convo with their fed on where they should go...I assume USFS wanted both C/B and H/D to compete at SA.

Skaters 7-12 at Worlds are not seeded but guaranteed 2 events. The rest of the spots are filled with skaters/teams ranked top 24 in the world standings or top 75 on the SB list.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
World Standings seemed to receive a higher weighting vs. SB score which makes sense this time.

The following skaters had a top 24 SB score from 2020-21, and hopefully will be higher on the alternate list for replacements-

WOMEN
Josefin Taljegard, Lindsay Van Zundert, Alexandra Feigin, Alina Urushadze, Lara Naki Gutmann, Ginevra Negrello

MEN
Lukas Britschgi, Konstantin Milyukov, Nikolaj Majorov, Maurizio Zandron, Burak Demirboga, Aleksandr Selevko

PAIRS
Chtchetinina/Magyar, Zhuk/Bidar, Metelkina/Parkman, Lukashevich/Stepanov, Keriven/Pierre

DANCE
Taschlerova/Taschler, Fear/Waddell, Popova/Byelikov

sk9tingfan

The top 3 at Worlds are 1 seeded group. 4-6 are the second. Each gets 2 events and gets to choose, in order of seeding. Only 1 from each group can be at each event with the exception that a host country can invite any of its own skaters w/o regard to seeding. (So if both H/D and C/B had finished top 3 they could still both be at SA.) The seeded skaters get to submit their choices but there is also a lot of convo with their fed on where they should go...I assume USFS wanted both C/B and H/D to compete at SA.

Skaters 7-12 at Worlds are not seeded but guaranteed 2 events. The rest of the spots are filled with skaters/teams ranked top 24 in the world standings or top 75 on the SB list.
Thanks so much!

angi

Do we know why Bychenko didn't get any assigments? Was he out of the top 24?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
World Standings seemed to receive a higher weighting vs. SB score which makes sense this time.

The following skaters had a top 24 SB score from 2020-21, and hopefully will be higher on the alternate list for replacements-

WOMEN
Josefin Taljegard, Lindsay Van Zundert, Alexandra Feigin, Alina Urushadze, Lara Naki Gutmann, Ginevra Negrello

MEN
Lukas Britschgi, Konstantin Milyukov, Nikolaj Majorov, Maurizio Zandron, Burak Demirboga, Aleksandr Selevko

PAIRS
Chtchetinina/Magyar, Zhuk/Bidar, Metelkina/Parkman, Lukashevich/Stepanov, Keriven/Pierre

DANCE
Taschlerova/Taschler, Fear/Waddell, Popova/Byelikov

So many fantastic skaters in this list. Thank you for posting this.

And that Swiss skater Lucas Britschigi just so all y’all know I called dibs on him since last March. He’s mine when ready for the pickin!!

😎💕

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Do you mean (Sciemeca) Knierem & Frazier? Chris Knierem retired, and Alexa Knierem now skates with Brandon Frazier -- or did at last report.
No. I meant SinKats. I scanned too quickly because I shouldn’t be looking at GP assignments while on a Zoom business call. :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm surprised to see Meite assigned to IdF given the severity of her injury - I'd have expected a TBA to be confirmed following the French Masters. Hopefully this is a sign that things are going well with her recovery :)

Also Josefin Taljegard should have gotten an assignment.

P/C have it about as good as they could expect given that they are not seeded.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm surprised to see Meite assigned to IdF given the severity of her injury - I'd have expected a TBA to be confirmed following the French Masters. Hopefully this is a sign that things are going well with her recovery :)

Also Josefin Taljegard should have gotten an assignment.

P/C have it about as good as they could expect given that they are not seeded.
I follow her on Insta and she seems to be doing very well. She says she's ready to get back on the ice. Of course, the bigger issue for her is will she be ready in September for Nebelhorn and getting an Olympic spot or will she have to rely on one of the other French women.

Orm Irian

Rostelecom seems like more of a joke than usual.
Is that even possible? I thought it reached a level of jokeness only surpassed by Europeans some time ago and stuck there.

Ugh, maybe I still have too much anger left over from Worlds, but this is just making me cross. The closest thing to a new and interesting entry to the lists is James/Radford, for crying out loud. Dull, dull, dull and with multiple events even more blatantly rigged than ever.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The other notable thing that stood out to me is how China got absolutely hosed on assignments for any skaters not named Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, or Wang/Liu. There was absolutely no love for Boyang Jin or Han Yan, who both should have received a 2nd assignment IMO given some of the other skaters who got 2 or even 1. All they got was their COC host pick.

Same for Hongyi Chen but the ladies side is always tougher to get into due to the Russian and Japanese ladies usually gobbling up a chunk of assignments.

All I can think is that China best watch its back or it might wind up losing its GP status after this season.

mattiecat13

Whatever happened to the North Korean pair, Ryom & Kim? I thought they showed some promise when they were training in Canada but then they went back to North Korea to train.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm thrilled to see all the Korean ladies on the list, and the top 3 with two berths each. Took two years, but these young ladies got it done!
Yes, they've worked hard to get themselves to the point where so many of their ladies earned berths. IIRC it's their top 4, not top 3 - Lim, Kim, Lee and You, and Wi got one.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
There are so many spellings of Kostornaya's first name in this thread lol. If someone throws in a Kostornaia, we can really cover our bases.
The problem is, that I've observed on this website, is if someone who is automatically "not liked" can't just write KOZ and let that be the shorthand for her in the future. If I started calling Alyona Kostornaia a quick KOZ, I'd be taunted and accused of being a misogynist or racist. Some people here just won't accept an abbreviated word just on face value. Hell, I could post "I woke up and the sun was out and I felt a wave of hope and happiness!!!" and EXPECT a bunch of dislikes and "So what are you saying about people that like rainy mornings? That's we're miserable LOSERS??! You are so entitled and have no idea about people who struggle with depression!!!!". That's what you have to prepare for on the 'net. There will always be the Miserable Marys and Negative Nellies. I'll start writing Koz for short. And be roasted for it. I'm fine with that. I know I'm not misogynist, racist or xenophobic. It's fun seeing the responses because you know they are struggling with those thoughts internally and accusing others of being what they themselves are scared of being. As my OrgoChem professor would state: "It takes alkynes."

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Given the unpredictability of the world these days, it makes sense for the USFS to have as many of their probable Olympic skaters at Skate America as possible. They'll most likely be sure of one major international event that way.
You know, this just made sense to me. (considering I want Alysa, Amber, and Bradie for the Oy Team). Maybe Amber is getting some love from USFS??? She can prove herself against Bradie and a win would seal her "Nationals placement with BODY OF WORK". A win over Bradie in the Olympic season would have to be considered in BOW. So, if the USFS goal is to get those three skaters on the team, it really makes sense. Go Amber!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information