2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Oh my god, this is so insensitive. What if ErikWilliam is allergic to peanuts?? :eek:
Right?!!?!? Some would cheer!!! (Allergic to nothing except people without intelligence and wit, and a sliver of humor...) Or maybe it's the people that are thoroughly lacking in those qualities are allergic to me? Who knows. Skatefans are abnormal and crazy in their own way, me included!!!

Last edited:

Aaron MB Fan

This may be a dumb question, but what are the correct spellings for both? Per their own IG handles, their names are spelled as Aljona Savchenko and Aliona Kostornaia. However, even the ISU Grand Prix entries document spells Kostornaia's name differently than what I see on her IG.

annie720

Kostornaia's name is Алёна in Cyrillic and can transliterated different ways but Alena seems to the preferred spelling for official documents (based on a quick search onine), including her ISU bio.

Aljona Savchenko uses the 'j' because that's the German way of transliterating, I believe? ETA: https://dbpedia.org/page/Aljona_Savchenko
Yep. 👍 I worked as a Russian-English translator for many years and we had to adhere to an official government transliteration chart for names. Alena is how we would transliterate this name from Russian.

ETA: I believe Savchenko's name is Olena in Ukrainian and that's how I would have rendered it in English if she weren't a well-known personality. She chose the German transliteration and that's how she's known.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The Ladies field at SC is making me seriously want to trek out to the other end of the country and hit up Vancouver! :eek:
Tweeted by Skate Canada yesterday in response to more than one fan: https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/1410009991210323975
... We will be releasing further details about SCI, including ticket information, in the coming months! Stay tuned
For those interested, Skate Canada's volunteer application deadline for SCI is September 27, 2021.

Vagabond

This may be a dumb question, but what are the correct spellings for both? Per their own IG handles, their names are spelled as Aljona Savchenko and Aliona Kostornaia. However, even the ISU Grand Prix entries document spells Kostornaia's name differently than what I see on her IG.
I don't think we should feel bound by particular transliterations of names written in Cyrillic, especially since this board has users from many different countries with their own conventions from transliterating into the Latin alphabet, variously translating "Елена" as "Elena" or "Yelena," for example.

One thing I have noticed is that the FSFR swiched a few years ago from transliterating names ending in "-ия" as "-ia," as in "Mariia" and "Evgeniia" rather than "Maria" and "Evgenia." The new transliterations don't really square with the actual Cyrillic spelling, the pronunciation, or common Western spelling conventions, so I don't use them much, if at all.

SkateFanBerlin

I didn't expect Amber to get 2 spots. I would have divided given one spot to someone else to see how they do. Who might be feeling the pressure is Karen Chen. She's been sent out a lot but never medaled. True, she's done well at worlds and pretty well at Oly's 2018. But if she misses again in the GP circuit I'd pick Mariah over her regardless of nationals' finish. As long it wasn't ridiculous - i.e. Mariah in 10th place.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
You know, this just made sense to me. (considering I want Alysa, Amber, and Bradie for the Oy Team). Maybe Amber is getting some love from USFS??? She can prove herself against Bradie and a win would seal her "Nationals placement with BODY OF WORK". A win over Bradie in the Olympic season would have to be considered in BOW. So, if the USFS goal is to get those three skaters on the team, it really makes sense. Go Amber!!

As of today those are my three favorites I want for the Olympic team as well. But I’m keeping my eye on Karen Chen

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I didn't expect Amber to get 2 spots. I would have divided given one spot to someone else to see how they do. Who might be feeling the pressure is Karen Chen. She's been sent out a lot but never medaled. True, she's done well at worlds and pretty well at Oly's 2018. But if she misses again in the GP circuit I'd pick Mariah over her regardless of nationals' finish. As long it wasn't ridiculous - i.e. Mariah in 10th place.

I usually agree with just about everything you say but not within this post. Amber was selected by NHK so that was out of her control and I’m so fine with USFSA giving her Skate America since they showed her no love after she became the US national silver medalist and skipped over her for worlds last year. And anyway Karen, Mariah, Alysa they all have two spots as well… So…

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Friendly annual reminder that countries don’t assign their skaters to the GP. Skaters are selected to the GP by the host countries. USFSA did not “give” Amber two spots. USFSA gave her a spot at Skate America, which is reasonable for a national medalist who was not given a slot at worlds, and then Amber was selected by Japan for NHK, presumably based on the fact that she was 30th in the world standings since her nationals placement would be irrelevant. If NHK had not chosen Amber, that spot would not necessarily have gone to another US lady.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Amber Glenn is our national silver medalist! How dare!

Riiiiigghhhtttt??!?!?!

I mean all the top ladies including the US nationals medalists all got two spots so I don’t have any issues with Grand Prix assignments. Starr has one spot and there’s always a chance she could get the second spot at skate America. I don’t see any injustices at all as far as someone missing a spot…

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Friendly annual reminder that countries don’t assign their skaters to the GP. Skaters are selected to the GP by the host countries. USFSA did not “give” Amber two spots. USFSA gave her a spot at Skate America, which is reasonable for a national medalist who was not given a slot at worlds, and then Amber was selected by Japan for NHK, presumably based on the fact that she was 30th in the world standings since her nationals placement would be irrelevant. If NHK had not chosen Amber, that spot would not necessarily have gone to another US lady.

Spot on, I don’t think I could’ve summed it up better

🥰🔟🙆🏻‍♂️

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Friendly reminder that there is behind-the-scenes "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine' horsetrading among host nations, and even some non-host nations, who have non-GP things to trade ( :COP: ), including for future consideration, that host nations weigh against protecting their own skaters at their host events.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Friendly reminder that there is behind-the-scenes "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine' horsetrading among host nations, and even some non-host nations, who have non-GP things to trade ( :COP: ), including for future consideration, that host nations weigh against protecting their own skaters at their host events.

Yes, but that doesn’t mean USFSA gave Amber Glenn 2 spots and possessed the option to split them between two ladies.

Dobre

I assumed Amber would get the berths. In a regular season last year, she would have been sent to 4CCs and then--if she didn't get 2 berths elsewhere--have been invited to Skate America.

Karen did a great job at Worlds and earned the guaranteed two berths so she can go elsewhere.

Both ladies & Bradie come into this season with a strong carryover event result from last year. They need to get the job done at Nationals, and Amber probably needs to demonstrate she can get the job done in at least one international. But they come into this season in a good place.

Alysa & Mariah come into the season with some more to do on the GP, but historically with the tools to do it.

aliona22

Kostornaia's name is Алёна in Cyrillic and can transliterated different ways but Alena seems to the preferred spelling for official documents (based on a quick search onine), including her ISU bio.

Aljona Savchenko uses the 'j' because that's the German way of transliterating, I believe? ETA: https://dbpedia.org/page/Aljona_Savchenko

Alena seems to be the official translation from Russian but Kostornaia speaks English and spells it "Aliona." She spells it with the i-o on her Instagram and other social media: https://www.instagram.com/aliona_officialnew/

I'm not sure how the translation goes when the athlete prefers a different spelling than the standard. Savchenko was allowed to choose so it seems Kostornaia should be as well.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Yes, but that doesn’t mean USFSA gave Amber Glenn 2 spots and possessed the option to split them between two ladies.
Absolutely.

The other way that USFS doesn't have absolute power is that they can only block 1-12/1-10 skaters'/teams' from their event by appointing host picks from the corresponding selection groups. (In theory, Russia could have assigned the entire podium to Rostelecom.) After that, there's a host selection rotation that has been described as random draw for each discipline (not codified in public-facing ISU documentation), so whoever is left when it's time to pick gets assigned to that event before the next selection group is distributed. Plus there's also the widely accepted rule that only host picks can block at least the prior Worlds podium's, if not the top six's, preferences (also not codified in public-facing ISU documentation.)

RoseRed

This year seems like "whatever the host nations want/damn WS or anything else beyond top 12 finishers at Worlds."

World Standings seemed to receive a higher weighting vs. SB score which makes sense this time.
I posted this in another thread, but my theory is that they did something like a combined 2019-2021 SB list. I have no idea if that's right, but it fits really well with most of the assignments if you go by Worlds top 10/12, WS top 24, combined SB top 24, then down the combined SB list after that. Or just used the 2019-20 SB list - it's not hugely different in general from a combined list.

Sylvia

TBD
Yesterday I edited into my post #1 a paragraph about the GP selection criteria that included this:
... skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from either the 2019/20 or 2020/21 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the World Standings (from previous 3 seasons – 2018/19, 2019/20 and 2020/21) can also be invited. If available medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final gold medalists can also be selected.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Did you also take into consideration if Mariah misses? IMO, Mariah has done nothing to over take Karen for a shot at the Olympics if she places below her at Nationals. The only way she’d deserve a spot is if Karen totally bombs the GP series and Mariah qualifies for the GPF but even then it would depend on how both skate at Nationals and how behind Mariah is.

SkateFanBerlin

I usually agree with just about everything you say but not within this post. Amber was selected by NHK so that was out of her control and I’m so fine with USFSA giving her Skate America since they showed her no love after she became the US national silver medalist and skipped over her for worlds last year. And anyway Karen, Mariah, Alysa they all have two spots as well… So…
I was a little confused - dementia setting in. I forgot Amber was silver medalist from last year. Makes perfect sence US would pick her. Also didn't realize it's the other host-countries who have some/all say in who gets assigned their site. So Karen and Amber getting 2nd assignments is not up to USFS. (Do countries sometime pick lower-ranked skaters to increase chances of their skaters medaling?)

I do think medals are important; they bolster reputation of a federation. Mariah and Brady have shown they can produce. Let's hope Karen's luck can change. What's a fair expectation for Amber?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Did you also take into consideration if Mariah misses? IMO, Mariah has done nothing to over take Karen for a shot at the Olympics if she places below her at Nationals. The only way she’d deserve a spot is if Karen totally bombs the GP series and Mariah qualifies for the GPF but even then it would depend on how both skate at Nationals and how behind Mariah is.
I am very hesitant to get on the Karen Chen Express. I really thought when she first burst onto the Nationals scene and won a bronze that she would be HUGE and competitive with the Russians. Then she was on the way with her fourth place at Worlds leading up to the Olympics and I thought she'd be a threat for a medal. And THEN..... excuses, poor performances, more excuses. I love her skating, but I made my mistake the first time. I don't or can't have any confidence in Karen. Sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information