2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

Colonel Green

Re Panfilova/Rylov from Russian board (so no official confirmation):

Dmitri had a surgery in April. It's not injury-related, he has a congenital issue and needs a long time to recover after the surgery, he won't be back on the ice until October, so the guys will miss next season.
Oh dear. Hoping for the best for his recovery.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Skate Canada ladies is insane! And NHK ladies isn't far behind in the insanity!

Anyone who believes that Tursy will really compete at Rostelecom, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. That's going go wind up being nothing more than a host spot to give away in another 3-4 months.

mjb52

Skate Canada ladies is insane! And NHK ladies isn't far behind in the insanity!

Anyone who believes that Tursy will really compete at Rostelecom, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. That's going go wind up being nothing more than a host spot to give away in another 3-4 months.

Let's make a friendly bet. Do I necessarily believe she'll compete? No. But I like the power of positive thinking so I'll take the pro side! :)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Huh. I don't see Skate Canada ladies being a blood bath at all. The top 4 are pretty easy to predict, and probably the podium. :lol:

Some of the Russians who had outstanding Russian cup events are being totally left out because of no international events last season, and conversely some who didn't compete benefited from prior year results. Strange pre Olympic season.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Uggh, he's saying there are travel restrictions. So what does this mean to those who really want to go to Vancouver? Just book and hope for the best??? I don't need any drama in my life. I'd plan on both, but I don't think my back could handle it. Disabilities suck. At least I have great insurance.... pfft

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Huh. I don't see Skate Canada ladies being a blood bath at all. The top 4 are pretty easy to predict, and probably the podium. :lol:

Some of the Russians who had outstanding Russian cup events are being totally left out because of no international events last season, and conversely some who didn't compete benefited from prior year results. Strange pre Olympic season.
Your top 4 being Kihira, Valieva, Kostornaya and then who? Liu? Tuk?

Karen-W

Your top 4 being Kihira, Valieva, Kostornaya and then who? Liu? Tuk?
I'm a fan of Kostornaya but I don't think she is going to beat Kihira, Valieva, Tuk or Liu based on what we've seen from those 5 ladies in recent months. Liu seems to have her 3a and 4z back and Kihira is good for at least one 3a per comp, Tuk is solid on her 3a in both the SP and FS and Valieva is a beast.

natsulian

The ladies field for Skate Canada is its own mini-Olympics. We have six ladies capable of landing triple-Axels: Rika, Kamila, Liza, Alysa, Wakaba, and Alena. Additionally, Rika, Kamila, Alysa, and Liza might all attempt quads as well. This is going to be an insane battle and one I am immensely excited yet nervous for.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
A lot for Aliona depends on whether she gets the 3A back in terms of results. But I'll enjoy watching her either way, although I would really like to see her get the 3A for her own sake.
But Alyona's SS and PCS are MUCH better than Liu's. And Liu won't be in America, where those < and << calls would be ignored. If Alyona skates clean without an ultra-C I would still put her above a Liu with her jumps.

Karen-W

But Alyona's SS and PCS are MUCH better than Liu's. And Liu won't be in America, where those < and << calls would be ignored. If Alyona skates clean without an ultra-C I would still put her above a Liu with her jumps.
We also haven't seen much of her at all since January, apart from a few IG clips. Even the IG clips of her 3a and 4z were so distant and tiny that it is hard to judge whether she is fully rotating them now, plus she's made it clear she is focused on improving her SS and PCS. I wouldn't be so sure to count either Alysa or Alyona out of the SC medal hunt, even if, on paper, they are probably the #4/5 seeds at the event.

Jammers

I have to wonder why Skate America didn't offer Alysa a spot instead of Skate Canada?

Jammers

SA is the marquee event for the US why not have your biggest and best be there competing to sell tickets?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
you asked who I'd pick for the podium? Today it would be Valieva, Tuk, Kostornaia, then Kihira. I'm not a fan of Liu's skating and unless she's actually improved a great deal since US nationals and SKAM, Paginini, Higuchi or one of the Koreans can beat her if they have a good day. But, things happen and skaters fall down so apart from Kamilla, who I'd actually bet on, the other positions could have some movement. Personally, I think Kihira is way over rated and far prefer the other Japanese ladies skating. I'll be cheering for Higuchi here. I really want her to put her demons behind her and have a good season. Same with Sakamoto. I love to watch Miyahara, but I'm over the tiny underrotated jumps and just don't think she's competitive any more. But, she can't be counted out to make the Japanese Olympic team.

I'm just glad there's going to be skating. I enjoyed the Russian cup series last year, but I'm ready to have more international competitions.

screech

Though I doubt they'll be ready by then, I was a bit surprised not to see Savchenko & Partner on the roster, though if they're at a somewhat decent level, I guess they'll get the Skate America TBA spot.

Vagabond

I know I've been busy but when did O'Shea find another partner?? :slinkaway

And are S/K just not competing the GP?
Do you mean (Sciemeca) Knierem & Frazier? Chris Knierem retired, and Alexa Knierem now skates with Brandon Frazier -- or did at last report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information