ISU statement on Mariah Bell and Eun soo Lim

arakwafan2006

https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...bell-usa-and-eun-soo-lim-kor?templateParam=15

The ISU has been made aware of a statement published on March 20 by All-That Sports, and subsequently by the Korea Skating Union on March 21 about an incident which happened between Ms. Mariah Bell and Ms. Eun Soo Lim, during their practice on March 20 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships.
The incident was verbally reported to the ISU by the Korean Team Leader however no formal complaint has been received.
Based on the evidence at hand at this point in time, which includes a video, there is no evidence that Ms. Bell intended any harm to Ms. Lim.
The ISU met with delegates from both USA and Korea and urged both parties to find an amicable solution. The ISU maintains that this remains the appropriate approach.

arakwafan2006

I feel so for Mariah. I know, i don’t know her. We only know persona. If you’ve skated and collided , it happens as fast as a fall. Some skaters cut themselves. Sometimes someone else gets cut. We weren’t there and NOBODY has seen the feed. Those that have concluded it wasn’t intentional. The hate, mainly Korean fans is egregious!

If Mariah were my personal friend , I’d be sleepless wondering about her. This accusation is awful.

I hope Eun soo is ok. She was glorious in the short.

meer

ISU basically telling them to behave themselves and talk it out. Which should have happened in the first place. Nothing against Eunsoo, but her agency running to the press talking about Mariah intentionally stabbing Eunsoo was really uncalled for. If there wasn't tension before, there sure will be now back in Cali.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Didn't this happen before the short? Mariah was in her SP dress. Eunsoo did skate very well. I hope she has a great LP too. I think she's a fantastic skater.
The incident did. The drama and nastiness toward Mariah took place afterwards.

s_parks

This just brings up more questions for me. Not so much the practice incident, but the allegations of bullying back in California- I mean, I'm surprised we haven't heard a brief statement from Mariah's official spokesperson or something already; they're obviously grounds for a defamation lawsuit if false. I guess they've just decided to stay quiet until worlds is over. I just find it hard to believe this will just end with one talk between the two parties.

Skittl1321

The media (WaPo etc) should have done that before running with the story!

Well, the story was just that an accusation had been made. That was a fact, and the story they ran with. They didn't make the accusation.

I too wish they had run a video. It sounds like a video hasn't surfaced. I'm sure Korean fans will have one up soon.

VGThuy

This just brings up more questions for me. Not so much the practice incident, but the allegations of bullying back in California- I mean, I'm surprised we haven't heard a brief statement from Mariah's official spokesperson or something already; they're obviously grounds for a defamation lawsuit if false. I guess they've just decided to stay quiet until worlds is over. I just find it hard to believe this will just end with one talk between the two parties.

I don't think it'll just end with one talk either after Mariah finishes the competition and truly sees how far ATS's narrative against her has gotten. My husband just shared a NYPost article about it full of comparisons to Tonya Harding and not hesitating to use ATS's inflammatory language against Bell.

arakwafan2006

If people have your mindset a lawsuit will
Follow. Defamation?
I don't think it'll just end with one talk either after Mariah finishes the competition and truly sees how far ATS's narrative against her has gotten. My husband just shared a NYPost article about it full of comparisons to Tonya Harding and not hesitating to use ATS's inflammatory language against Bell.

Effing horrible

MsZem

I see the sea
The story made it to the Israeli media, and with much the same framing.

Bell is also getting ratio'd on Instagram, which is not an easy thing to do. I don't know that the nastiness directed at her will stop now that this statement is out.

VGThuy

The story made it to the Israeli media, and with much the same framing.

Bell is also getting ratio'd on Instagram, which is not an easy thing to do. I don't know that the nastiness directed at her will stop now that this statement is out.

It's clear because of this, some people will always see Bell as a bad person. These people are skating fans and thus affect her ability to skate and maybe make a living out of it.

MsZem

I see the sea
There are messages on instagram insulting her grandfather (on an old pic she posted with him). It's really gross.
It really is.

And of course, lots of people telling Bell that she's ugly (irrelevant even if it were true), racist, a bitch, etc. I hope she makes her Instagram private (like Ponsart has) or shuts off comments. Unless some kind of new evidence comes out, she doesn't deserve any of it. And even if the allegations were true, death threats?

I can't imagine making death threats against anyone, let alone a 22-year old skater.

puglover

Sadly, they are both beautiful young women in a sport that is known for it's beauty and this tale of ugliness, true or not, will make the story have legs. It seems telling to me that there is apparently a video and the Korean mouthpieces admit it does not answer the question of whether this was deliberate or an accident that the other skater was unaware of. So if it does see the light of day, people will see what they want to see. Very stupid to have raised this in this manner, IMHO. As far as bullying, very hard to prove. We hear a lot about coaches that work very hard at the relationships within their rinks as in competitive endeavors it is not always smooth sailing. My daughter's riding coach had the moto that all riders were told on their first day: "Fit in or F--- off".

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I hope someone in the Bell camp is taking screenshots of everything hurled against her on all forms of social media.

It's absolutely bonkers how far people are going with the comments.

The renewed awareness of Tonya the past few years via I, Tonya and Dancing with the Stars really hurt Mariah given how this shit cookie has crumbled. While it disgusts me, it doesn't surprise me that North American media will frame this story as a reincarination of the Tonya/Nancy drama.

arakwafan2006

A lot of the comments make me
Think that they’re written by people who’s first language isn’t English. I say that because hopefully for both girls that train here, domestically , things will
Be ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information