Provisional allotments for ISU Championships 2022, 2023 & 2024; future bids discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
"The ISU Council decided to provisionally allot the following ISU Championships for the seasons 2022/23 and 2023/24." June 3, 2021 press release (bolded events below were announced today with locations): https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...-championships-2023-and-2024?templateParam=15

Season 2022/23 Provisional allotments - Figure Skating
2023 ISU European Figure Skating Championships, Helsinki, Finland, January 23-29 -- Finnish federation's press release announcing Hartwall Arena as the venue: https://www.stll.fi/2021/03/15/taitoluistelun-em2023-kilpailut-jarjestetaan-helsingissa/
2023 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Sydney, Australia, February 7-12, 2023: https://isu.org/figure-skating/even...figure-skating-championships?templateParam=11
2023 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, Calgary, Canada, February 27-March 5, 2023 - Skate Canada's press release (May 4, 2021): https://skatecanada.ca/2021/05/skat...su-world-junior-figure-skating-championships/
2023 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, Saitama, Japan, March 20-26, 2023: https://isu.org/figure-skating/even...figure-skating-championships?templateParam=11

Season 2022/23

Synchronized Skating - ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Lyon, France on March 10-11, 2023

Synchronized Skating - 2023 ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships, Lake Placid, USA (awarded on 10/16/20; was cancelled there in 2020)

Season 2023/24

Figure Skating

ISU European Figure Skating Championships to be held in Budapest, Hungary on January 22-28, 2024

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held on February 6-11, 2024, TBC

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held on February 26-March 3, 2024, TBC

ISU World Figure Skating Championships to be held in Montreal, Canada on March 18-24, 2024 - the good news is being celebrated in this thread today: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...orld-championships.108217/page-3#post-6007736

Synchronized Skating

ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held on March 8-9, 2024, TBC

ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Zagreb, Croatia on April 5-6, 2024

Season 2021/22 Provisional allotments
ISU European Figure Skating Championships, Tallin, EST on January 10-16, 2022 - is this tickets website legitimate? https://tritickets.org/other-sports/figure-skating-en/european-figure-skating-championships-en/
ISU ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Tianjin, CHN on January 17-22, 2022: https://isu.org/figure-skating/even...figure-skating-championships?templateParam=11
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, Sofia, BUL on March 7-13, 2022: https://isu.org/figure-skating/even...figure-skating-championships?templateParam=11
[Beijing Olympic Winter Games 2022 February 4-20, 2022]
ISU World Figure Skating Championships, Montpellier, FRA on March 21-27, 2022 - early planning thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/montpellier-2022.108293/

ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships, Innsbruck, AUT on March 17-19, 2022: https://isu.org/events/eventdetail/...onized-skating-championships?templateParam=11
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships, Hamilton, CAN on April 7-9, 2022 - Skate Canada's 2/25/21 press release: https://skatecanada.ca/2021/02/skat...nized-skating-championships-2022-in-hamilton/

Last edited:

Sylvia

Re-posting here (even though GP Finals are not ISU Championships):
...but does anyone know what the deal is with Orleans, France, bidding and getting 2023-24 GPF without 2022-23 assigned yet :lol:

Relevant excerpt from ISU Communication No. 2431 Decisions of the Council (published Oct. 4, 2021):

6. ISU Grand Prix Final Season 2022/23
ISU Members are invited to make applications to host the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final for
the season 2022/23 to be held on December 8-11, 2022. ISU Members interested in applying to host
this ISU Event are requested to contact the ISU Secretariat, Ms. Patricia Mayor ([email protected]) and
they will be provided with the necessary details and application forms. Applications shall be received
by November 15, 2021.

7. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final Season 2023/24
The Council approved the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final for the season 2023/24 to be held in
Orléans, France on December 7-10, 2023.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Orléans, France sounds fantastic! :cheer: Although I'm always amused how France keeps shuffling all its events between random cities. Nevertheless, I want to go to another GPF so badly, it's the best event in the world.

But it's kinda weird that they already decided on 2023 but not 2022 yet. :lol: My bet for 2022 is Vegas. :p

Sylvia

Season 2021/22 Provisional allotments

ISU ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Tianjin, CHN on January 17-22, 2022: https://isu.org/figure-skating/even...figure-skating-championships?templateParam=11
2022 4CC in Tianjin CHN was cancelled on Sept. 13, 2021 - link to the ISU's press release: https://isu.org/figure-skating/news...hina-cancellation-relocation?templateParam=15

2022 Four Continents is (provisionally) scheduled to be held in Tallinn, Estonia (Jan. 18-23, 2022, the week after Euros there) news/discussion begins in the 4CC thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...relocation-pending.108605/page-9#post-6069774

Last edited:

Panja

I just want to say: Hurray for Estonia for picking up the 4cc after that absurdly late withdrawal making it impossible for any other other country in the 4 continents to do so (for many reasons given in various threads and posts). It's not to Estonia's own advantage but they can make use of the experience with a bubble at Euros. Good for Estonia for agreeing to do it. And make it possible for all skate lovers to watch this specific competition. Yay!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Shows how much the 4CC feds value the championships that none of them (not even one of the three richest feds in ISU) could step up to host and it’s left up to a small federation like Estonia. :shuffle:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Shows how much the 4CC feds value the championships that none of them (not even one of the three richest feds in ISU) could step up to host and it’s left up to a small federation like Estonia. :shuffle:
Estonia must be getting something out of this to do it as they are clearly under no obligation. But yes, great of them to step up because they still need to man the event with volunteers etc.. and it's a lot of work to put these competitions on.

I think you are being a bit harsh on three of those richest feds ;)

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Jealousy is never a good look.

Beyond that, the USFS did step up and submitted a bid to host the GP event on equally short notice when China pulled out of that in early August. The fact that they didn't feel, nor did Canada or Japan, that they could offer to host a much larger event like 4CCs in this year with the ever-changing landscape on travel restrictions really doesn't merit such harsh judgment. I'm sure, if this was a 2011 situation again with a major earthquake devastating the Tianjin area, they would have felt differently about their ability to organize the event on short notice.

But, you keep doing you, boo.

Panja

This goes perhaps a bit too far. These federations do value the championships, would have stepped up if China had been earlier in their refusal, and now in the end it's Estonia (whom I can't thank enough) who makes use of the experience at Euros. I'm thankful, and don't blame these 'rich' federations. I do blame a certain Federation but not the other ones. I hope Estonia will be helped in doing this. By these rich federations.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
This goes perhaps a bit too far. These federations do value the championships, would have stepped up if China had been earlier in their refusal, and now in the end it's Estonia (whom I can't thank enough) who makes use of the experience at Euros. I'm thankful, and don't blame these 'rich' federations. I do blame a certain Federation but not the other ones. I hope Estonia will be helped in doing this. By these rich federations.
For all we know, these "rich" feds might have said "hey, we'll help cover the additional costs that the fed normally carries in hosting because, logistically we can't do it but if Estonia can make it work, we're good with that". I don't think this decision was made in a total vacuum without input from the JSF, USFS, or SC.

Panja

For all we know, these "rich" feds might have said "hey, we'll help cover the additional costs that the fed normally carries in hosting because, logistically we can't do it but if Estonia can make it work, we're good with that". I don't think this decision was made in a total vacuum without input from the JSF, USFS, or SC.
That's what I thought.

Sylvia

Season 2022/23 Provisional allotments - Figure Skating
2023 ISU European Figure Skating Championships, Helsinki, Finland, January 23-29 -- Finnish federation's press release announcing Hartwall Arena as the venue:
Hartwall Arena is no longer called by that name - thanks to @IDC a.k.a. Ritti for tweeting the link to this March 2nd Finnish news article in English:
The signs for beverage manufacturer Hartwall, the main sponsor of the Helsinki arena, were removed from the venue's walls on Wednesday.
The arena had until this point been known as the Hartwall Arena, but the company has announced via a press release that it has terminated its marketing partnership with Helsinki Halli. Hartwall is one of Finland's largest beverage manufacturers and has sponsored the Helsinki arena since its opening in 1997.
The arena has been owned by a company called Arena Events since it purchased the property from MP Harry Harkimo (MN) in 2013.
Arena Events is owned by Gennady Timtshenko, who is on the West's sanctions list due to Russia's military actions in Ukraine, as well as Arkadi and Boris Rotenberg. Rotenborg's son Roman Rotenberg is chair of the boards of both Helsinki Halli and Arena Events.

All bow down to Tallinn & the Estonian Figure skating federation for offering to host 2022 Junior Worlds after Euros & 4CC this year! :encore:

Season 2021/22
ISU European Figure Skating Championships, Tallinn, EST on January 10-16, 2022

ISU ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Tianjin, CHN on January 17-22, 2022 Tallinn, Estonia on January 18-23, 2022

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, Sofia, BUL on March 7-13, 2022 allotted to Tallinn, Estonia on April 13-17, 2022 - ISU’s press release today: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...2022-allotted-to-tallinn-est?templateParam=15

Miezekatze

I wonder if that puts Euros at that arena at stake?

If the arena itself is owned by someone one the sanction list, I suppose no events might be held there and no new sponsor would be found as long as this person owns it. Would probably be easier to solve if the Russian was only the sponsor.

No idea if it can be sold like FC Chelsea.

I think i even remember reading about it being owned by a Russian back when I attended worlds there.

Miezekatze

Yeah I meant the former Hartwall arena in Helsinki. The article mentioned that it's owned by one of the Russians on the sanction list. So Hartwall removing themselves as the sponsor might only be the beginning of the problems with the arena.

Reactions: Rob

skatingguy

decently
Yeah I meant the former Hartwall arena in Helsinki. The article mentioned that it's owned by one of the Russians on the sanction list. So Hartwall removing themselves as the sponsor might only be the beginning of the problems with the arena.
Might work out okay in the end - the Finnish government can seize the property, and sell it at auction - anyone want to buy a Helsinki arena?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Estonia must be getting something out of this to do it as they are clearly under no obligation. But yes, great of them to step up because they still need to man the event with volunteers etc.. and it's a lot of work to put these competitions on.
They often don't make any money and it's a ton of work. We should be so grateful to Estonia's fed.

I do hope they are getting something out of it. Even if it's just the ISU owing them.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
They often don't make any money and it's a ton of work. We should be so grateful to Estonia's fed.

I do hope they are getting something out of it. Even if it's just the ISU owing them.

You are both quoting only part of a post I made in October 2021 :confused:

The full post was:

I think you are being a bit harsh on three of those richest feds ;)

And it was in response to a post about rich 4CC feds leaving it up to a small federation to hold 4CC....

Just adding some context here so others don't think I am dismissing them once again stepping up to host another ISU championship.

Hanna

Skating junkie

Miezekatze

Ah, thanks for the info. I looked at Google Maps, as far as I can see, from Helsinki central station you'd have to take M1 metro and it takes about 16 minutes, plus some walking?

Hanna

Skating junkie
Ah, thanks for the info. I looked at Google Maps, as far as I can see, from Helsinki central station you'd have to take M1 metro and it takes about 16 minutes, plus some walking?
Yeah that's right, from the Helsinki city center it's a 15-minute metro trip + about 300 metres walk.

I guess it's possible to also stay in the center of Tapiola in Espoo, which is a 15-minute walk from the rink (or 1 stop on the metro). There is the hotel Sokos Hotel Tapiola Garden, which actually still seems to have rooms available (usually they use it as the official hotel for the Finlandia Trophy but considering they still have rooms available for the January dates, I guess the official hotel might be elsewhere for Euros). There's a big shopping center and tons of restaurants right next to the hotel, and also a free public outdoor rink basically in the backyard. And I suppose there are some Airbnb's in the area as well.

But really the trip from Helsinki is also pretty short and very easy, so it might be just as nice and convenient to stay in Helsinki.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

When I attended the 2017 World Championships, the Eurohostel was fantastic value for a backpacker. Their single rooms, while quite basic, were clean and comfortable. It was in a very picturesque part of town, and a short walk from the light rail tram that goes directly into town. Door to door, it is 45 minutes to the Espoo Metro Areena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information