ISU statement on Mariah Bell and Eun soo Lim

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
A lot of the comments make me
Think that they’re written by people who’s first language isn’t English. I say that because hopefully for both girls that train here, domestically , things will
Be ok

For sure, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Cyber harassment is harassment none the less. Plus, comments like those shown in the screen shot below are slang-sophisticated enough to demonstrate a pretty firm grasp of the English language.

https://imgur.com/ks5CvV7

jiejie

I'm fervently hoping that Mariah has stayed away from her public accounts and spared herself the literal evil and venom that people have spewed her way. If I was her, I'd turn these accounts inactive but preserve the evidence in case she wants to take future legal action. She can start over with fresh accounts set to private from the outset.

S

SmallFairy

People hide behind their keyboard and think they are exused from any manners, common sense, politeness, normal behaviour that applies everywhere else in society. It's disgusting. You see it everywhere on Internet and social media. I'm not surprised these people are harassing Mariah. Someone cut off their broadband and take away their phones. Such morons.

And those idiots don't see they are hurting Eunsoo too. This whole case is absurd. What on earth were those Korean officials thinking? And I can't believe media is grabbing the bait. The press is loosing me more each day, it's just showbiz tabloid everything, no source criticism anywhere.

MsZem

I see the sea
For sure, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Cyber harassment is harassment none the less. Plus, comments like those shown in the screen shot below are slang-sophisticated enough to demonstrate a pretty firm grasp of the English language.

https://imgur.com/ks5CvV7
I don't think the last one knows what a train means.

This is so gross - I wonder if it's being amplified in the usual online cesspools now that the story has become news outside of skating. The comments are much nastier than what I saw even earlier in the day.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
No young person is equipped to deal with this. Nor old person for that matter. Raf has a real problem that is going to impact his entire training. A tiny ripple is going to be a major tidal wave for the skaters, their parents, coaching team, offers to GP events and who knows how much more.

Skittl1321

A lot of the comments make me
Think that they’re written by people who’s first language isn’t English. I say that because hopefully for both girls that train here, domestically , things will
Be ok

Obviously they aren't written by someone whose first language is English based on the syntax. But the message in them is still clear. These comments are sickening.

Rock2

Bell may need security protection as well as legal counsel. :(

If there's any bright light, you typically don't need to be afraid of those who talk or lash out -- they are the cowards. The silent ones are the real threats.

I'm hearing Mariah has had her phone taken away from her by her inner circle...? If so, best course of action as these words are meaningless, although I understand not to be ignored.

LarrySK8

It appears the ISU has told the Korean Skating Union to piss off.

AND please notice that the ISU states, "the Korean team leader," and does not specify anyone's name, i.e. "the Korean team leader," for "the skater from Korea." No one has called them out the way some posters/members are trying to influence how people express themselves.

You know, I would consider using the skater from Korea's name if it weren't for the demand that I use it. Now, I never will. The skater from Korea, for me, is now, "she who shall not be named." (SWSNBN)

Plisskin

It would be different if this is just known in the skating world, but this is on WaPost now and other high profile media across the world. We'll see if there's any legs to the bullying accusation, but for this incident if I was Mariah and her people I would seek legal action. Her reputation has been dragged through the mud and she has been threatened.

This all could have been avoided if Mariah was contacted 1st instead of running to the Korean press. This was handled incredibly poorly by Eunsoo's management.

Skittl1321

AND please notice that the ISU states, "the Korean team leader," and does not specify anyone's name, i.e. "the Korean team leader," for "the skater from Korea." No one has called them out the way some posters/members are trying to influence how people express themselves.

You know, I would consider using the skater from Korea's name if it weren't for the demand that I use it. Now, I never will. The skater from Korea, for me, is now, "she who shall not be named." (SWSNBN)

And yet, you haven't said "the skater from the USA". You've used her name every time, it is only the non-American skater who you will not name.

They likely used "the Korean team leader" because this is a name people wouldn't recognize. They used Ms. Bell and Ms. Lim for the skaters.

The ISU is releasing a statement. You are taking part in a conversation. These things are different. Your attitude towards "the skater from Korea" is demeaning towards her.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Seek help.

Skittl1321

It would be different if this is just known in the skating world, but this is on WaPost now and other high profile media across the world. We'll see if there's any legs to the bullying accusation, but for this incident if I was Mariah and her people I would seek legal action. Her reputation has been dragged through the mud and she has been threatened.

This all could have been avoided if Mariah was contacted 1st instead of running to the Korean press. This was handled incredibly poorly by Eunsoo's management.

The way the ATS statement is worded ("suddenly kicked and stabbed Lim’s calf with her skate blades ") sounds like she just walked up out of nowhere and attacked her. It doesn't sound at all like a skating collision, which happen with some frequency.

So poorly handled!

LarrySK8

Seek help.

I received help from your response. It helped me enjoy this back-and-forth immensely. Apparent annoyance and dislike of a generic description of SWSNBN has made me laugh, and I find it all very amusing.

Thank you for helping to amuse me.

dawnie

I received help from your response. It helped me enjoy this back-and-forth immensely. Apparent annoyance and dislike of a generic description of SWSNBN has made me laugh, and I find it all very amusing.

Thank you for helping to amuse me.

Very mature. :rolleyes:

lala

The scandal was started by Ms Lim's management and the Korean skating federation. What did they want with it? Eunsoo didn't tell the truth for them? Or did she really think the attack?

Last edited:

zoe111

It doesn’t look anything close to what i imagined. Here is footage

https://youtu.be/C_re1kAagKQ
Yes. Mariahs in the middle of the run through and doesn’t get that close, no pause, no stop, no nothing. The rules are that when a skater is in a run through it’s the other skater’s job to know where the run through skater is. Full stop. Eunsoo had her back to Mariah- technically she’s at fault for not marking where the run through skater is.

bcash

The fact that it couldn't be resolved directly between the two skaters who train at the same rink speaks volumes about the relationship between them. Note that in one of the press releases it is mentioned that Lim's team felt the need to report this as potentially intentional "based on past events".

arakwafan2006

Yes. Mariahs in the middle of the run through and doesn’t get that close, no pause, no stop, no nothing. The rules are that when a skater is in a run through it’s the other skater’s job to know where the run through skater is. Full stop. Eunsoo had her back to Mariah- technically she’s at fault for not marking where the run through skater is.

Next the skaters will Have to wear a neon construction vest🤦🏾‍♂️

bcash

Cut your condescending BS. Whatever the nature of this incident, your bias certainly proves blatant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information