Having full dental implant surgery

skateboy

I DID IT! Here's the report:

Went in at 6:00 a.m. yesterday, had a 30-minute meeting with the doctors before they knocked me out, removed all my original teeth and inserted screws into the upper and lower jaw, to which the implants would be affixed. That took four hours. Then I had an hour and a half of them taking impressions of my upper and lower jaws (with me in a semi-groggy state).

After that, I spent nearly four hours in a waiting room, before having the implants put in. The reason for the wait is because, as you can imagine, the gums are raw and bleeding, not to mention very tender. I was given a small amount of jello, but mostly watched television while I had wads of gauze in my toothless mouth. (Sexy.) As the anesthesia wore off, the staff supplied me with painkillers. My two sisters spent the time with me, which helped getting through the long wait.

Finally I was taken in to have the implants secured. That was the most painful part. They asked me if I wanted local anesthesia and I declined. I got through getting the upper implants in okay, but when they started putting in the lower jaw implants, the pain was awful, so I decided to take the anesthesia. Once it kicked in, there was no problem.

The teeth look great. In terms of post-op pain, the 2-3 days aferward are supposed to be the worst. It's been tolerable though, because I've been taking the painkillers regualrly and in advance of any really bad discomfort. It's not exactly a picnic -- I'm pretty swollen in my jaws and cheeks -- but the pain has been surprisingly manageable, so far. I'd feared a lot worse.

So there it is. Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Skateboy.... You are so brave. Keep in front of the pain with those pills. . Dont try to be a hero. . It is very hard to get the pain back in the box after it starts

Spun Silver

Sounds great, now anyway. I agree with AA, if ever there was a time for painkillers it is now. Cast guilt to the winds! Just pick your painkiller -- meds or booze! They don't mix well.

Hope the healing continues apace.

Moto Guzzi

I'm glad it went well and that you're not in too much pain. How nice of your sisters to be there with you.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
@skateboy so glad it went well, and I know you're glad it's over with. Do continue to take your pain medicine even if you think you have a high tolerance for pain. Like you mentioned, the pain may be worse in the next two or three days. So stay ahead of it. Still keeping you in my prayers, my friend. <3

dinakt

@skateboy How are you feeling? Was thinking about you the last few days, hoping that no updates is a good, not a bad sign. Hope all is going as well as possible.

skateboy

@skateboy How are you feeling? Was thinking about you the last few days, hoping that no updates is a good, not a bad sign. Hope all is going as well as possible.
Thank you for asking! Feeling pretty good now. No real pain, just a bit a soreness left in my gums.

Overall, I'm really pleased. The biggest hurdle is getting used to the new "hardware" inside my mouth, but each day I feel more adjusted. The lower implants feel great, I hardly even notice them. The upper implants have felt a little tight (not painful), but again, more and more comfortable each day. I have a post-op appointment this Tuesday, so I can ask questions and get more information then. Feels good to know I'll never have to deal with an abcessed tooth or periodontal disease ever again.

As a bonus, I've had nothing but compliments on my new smile. :cool: (Not sure if this Facebook link will work here, but I took this selfie last Sunday, four days after the surgery.) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=a.73006790875.86070.725800875&type=3&theater

dinakt

The Facebook link does not open for me, but I am so glad to hear you are doing well! Surely now it is just adjusting and healing completely. What a huge thing to get through. Good luck on the follow up!!!

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Thank you for asking! Feeling pretty good now. No real pain, just a bit a soreness left in my gums.

Overall, I'm really pleased. The biggest hurdle is getting used to the new "hardware" inside my mouth, but each day I feel more adjusted. The lower implants feel great, I hardly even notice them. The upper implants have felt a little tight (not painful), but again, more and more comfortable each day. I have a post-op appointment this Tuesday, so I can ask questions and get more information then. Feels good to know I'll never have to deal with an abcessed tooth or periodontal disease ever again.

As a bonus, I've had nothing but compliments on my new smile. :cool: (Not sure if this Facebook link will work here, but I took this selfie last Sunday, four days after the surgery.) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=a.73006790875.86070.725800875&type=3&theater
Looking great!!

I will caution you that YES, you can get a sort of periodontal disease, alas (peri-implantitis). Which is why I counseled excellent hygiene earlier in the thread. If you take good care of your gums and the implants--and the dentist will tell you over and over about how to do it--you'll be OK. But a lovely variety of infectious organisms lurk in the mouth, and alas, you still need to "brush your teeth," just as you did before. Glad you are feeling good, though!

skateboy

Looking great!!

I will caution you that YES, you can get a sort of periodontal disease, alas (peri-implantitis). Which is why I counseled excellent hygiene earlier in the thread. If you take good care of your gums and the implants--and the dentist will tell you over and over about how to do it--you'll be OK. But a lovely variety of infectious organisms lurk in the mouth, and alas, you still need to "brush your teeth," just as you did before. Glad you are feeling good, though!
Thanks for the advice, LilJen. I am brushing and rinsing regularly throughout the day... I'm kind of hygiene obsessed, so I guess that's a good thing here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information