From Russia with Love [#33]: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

EDIT: Also please keep the "BS" comments to yourself in future, we do like classy and sassy in this joint
"We" as in "you and Queen of Sheba"? if you want "classy and sassy" then don't throw unsubstantiated stuff about "anorexia and drugs"... There are no such issues in Buianova/Gubanova partnership, nor Buianova pushed her towards any of this..
I remember the time when everyone thought Tsurskaya, Gubanova (and possibly also Nugumanova) would be the future or Russian skating. It is not that long time ago, just a few years ago...
:lol: that's when they were with their original coaches... ET, Turenko, Mishina..

Tinami Amori

Nobody yet knows what happened between Buianova and Gubanova. People here tend to always blame coaches and go easy on pupils, but it is not always the case. Buianova's comment about "not being in shape" is not unusual, and not specific to her.

Maria Sotskova is not with Buianova now, but with Sokolovskaya, and this is what she just posted about "diet and limiting food". She held a Q&A on her instagram, and posted fotos.
And what she said about "food" has been transcribed in a post of sports.ru..

"My whole life - is nothing but diet" (My life - is one continuous diet)
(replys by Maria Sotskova to questions in her IG)
Q: How many calories per day do you consume?
S: Never more than 1000.
Q: Have you ever been on diets?
S: My whole life is one continuous diet.
Q: What kind of food your coach forbids you?
S: She does not forbid anything, we are old and mature enough to control ourselves.

Bigbird

"We" as in "you and Queen of Sheba"? if you want "classy and sassy" then don't throw unsubstantiated stuff about "anorexia and drugs"... There are no such issues in Buianova/Gubanova partnership, nor Buianova pushed her towards any of this..

that's when they were with their original coaches... ET, Turenko, Mishina..

First I must say thank you for your use of "unsubstantiated stuff" rather than "BS", you leveled up.

Second, we are all just speculating here about these two, we don't have all the fact so we're just making educated guesses. No we're not being easy on Gubanova, but obviously she is just a teenager going through a very trying time. She has matured substantially in the last couple of seasons and I am not using that term as a euphemism for fat. Russian women singles skating is highly competitive and many "skating moms" and other athletes are clearly breathing down her neck expecting and hoping that she fails. She has such lovely artistry which I imagine many would covet but she has been struggling to get consistent with her technique and buy that ticket into the GP circuit.

Third, given all this would her coach have found it so difficult to simply say "our working relationship is simply not working out as we'd hoped and I've found it necessary for Nastia to continue her work elsewhere" or even something to that effect? Buyanova will always get more students coming her way, she is in the position of power here. She is the coach of Olympic Champion, Adelina Sotnikova, right? Nastia is the teenager here, regardless of the angst displayed which she might not fully understand at this age.

Many girls in her position do resort to extreme measures to please coaches and partners but maybe Nastia felt she needed to draw a line somewhere or better yet maybe she even feels that this is the end of the road for her and she just cannot deal with those issues as maturely as she should be. Why? Only her and her parents would know.

But finally, I do believe as the mature, grown woman in this contractual arrangement, Buyanova could have taken the higher road. I am not making excuses for Gubanova, but maybe my expectations of Russian coaches are a tad too high.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Well Sotskova just stated in her Insta stories that she eats 1000 calories per day... I know she isn't anorexic, but that doesn't sound like much...

I eat 1000 calories a day and live a normal (non-athletic) life. I am shorter than Sotskova, but 1000 calories seem normal to me for someone in her profession.

zebraswan

Can less than 1000 calories a day for a fairly tall athlete provide the energy for the things that she really has to do? Really?

Absolutely not...that's insanity. I hope for her sake that she was exaggerating or that was a typo. I'm not a nutritionist, but there is plenty of info on the web about the caloric needs of a female athlete and the dangers of not getting enough. And this is a really good video about a 5'7 female ballerina who breaks down how much she eats in a day to maintain or lose half a pound a week (spoiler, it's a lot more than 1000 calories!). She explains exactly what happens if she doesn't consume enough.

I can see a skater having a few extreme days like that if it's right before a competition or something (I remember Johnny Weir talking about having a tomato for dinner in his book)...but on a regular, longterm basis? Not good at all.

Tinami Amori

Absolutely not...that's insanity. I hope for her sake that she was exaggerating or that was a typo.
Not a typo, it is said in her IG stories.

prior to that she posted photo of her food and how she replaces sweets with health-bars.

annie_mg

1200 calories is the healthy minimum for normal females not burning up so many calories as professional athletes. For a girl Sotskova’s size, that can’t be healthy.
Definitely not. God, everytime any girl from Russia opens their mouth about calories, eating or even drinking, I get chills. There are a lot of misconceptions around the topic. And yes I know it's not just Russia bla bla, but we hear the worst stories coming from them. Nothing shocks me anymore.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I am 59 years old, 1m73 tall and weigh 50kg. I walk at least 30 minutes briskly every day, but don't do any other exercise on a regular basis. I generally eat around 1600 to 2000 calories a day and my weight doesn't vary.
So I feel that 1000 cals is way too little for an athlete doing considerably more exercise than I am doing and having considerably more muscle to maintain.

kris2ffer

Pretty sure I have snacks that are 1000 calories.

Sotskova could possibly be snacking the same thing just not gaining the same calories as you do.

As someone who have been on a restrictive caloric diet, you can chug 24 cans of soda without gaining any calories or smother your food with thousand island dressing gaining only 5 calories opposed to 500. Food selection/ brand is the key and there is a big market right now on this.

There is a big misconception that you have to starve yourself to go on a diet or achieve a targeted calorie restriction. Maybe couple of years ago it's true but today it is not. Reading nutritional facts label on foods is encouraged by every nutritionists and there are so many apps out there now that you basically log or scan what you eat and compute nutritional info for you. Shockingly my regular diet was almost the same when i went to caloric diet, the difference was that i was educated enough to choose the combinations on food/brand that worked for me.

Not saying 1000cal for Sotskova is healthy but it is possible to restrict your calorie but still achieving your target protein intake for muscle build etc

Last edited:

Rina RUS

This new video is inspiring. :) Somebody says in the comments: "I've got goosebumps".
He even started to "sing" again. :) The song is about dads, and it is nice.
I like, that this family chooses kind projects.

He also says this brand helps orphaned children.
As for charitable projects, usually I don't mention those things (because I think it would be something like boasting), but he likes to help dogs, participates in events related to donation of blood, works with UNAIDS ("zerodiscrimination" on the grounds of HIV infections).

Last edited:

Rina RUS

Minsk started a figure skating programme, hired Yagudin to manage it

As far as I know, they don't pay Yagudin nor the coaches (the skating centre earns money with no outside help).

Maybe it is almost funny, that Yagudin tells he said "Goodbye!" to a coach "the very next moment", if a coach wanted to make much money from the very beginning.

Recently I have been making phone calls to talk to the coaches whom I know for a long time, whom I can trust. I said at once how much I can give and asked: "Do you agree?" Are you ready to do the work for the long run, or you'd like to have result at once?
If they replied: "I want to make money", the very next moment I said: "Goodbye!" In this case money is not as important as another thing.

Many (or some?) big kids even have to work on their flexibility.
Yet Yana Khokhlova says after two months of working some kids have notably improved (big ones and younger ones).

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I am 59 years old, 1m73 tall and weigh 50kg. I walk at least 30 minutes briskly every day, but don't do any other exercise on a regular basis. I generally eat around 1600 to 2000 calories a day and my weight doesn't vary.
So I feel that 1000 cals is way too little for an athlete doing considerably more exercise than I am doing and having considerably more muscle to maintain.

You are very thin for someone not 25 years old, too. I also eat about that much and am gaining weight on it, but a much younger athlete has a totally different metabolism. I’m again shocked every time a Russian girl talks so openly about starving.

kirkbiggestfan

These starvations diets will destroy their metabolisms and severely damage their bodies.
An elite female skater can burn 1000 calories in 2 intense training sessions.
There are great and qualified sports nutritionists in Russia. It is insane to see how misguided some of these young athletes are.

DreamSkates

Well Sotskova just stated in her Insta stories that she eats 1000 calories per day... I know she isn't anorexic, but that doesn't sound like much...
These starvations diets will destroy their metabolisms and severely damage their bodies.
An elite female skater can burn 1000 calories in 2 intense training sessions.
There are great and qualified sports nutritionists in Russia. It is insane to see how misguided some of these young athletes are.
EXACTLY! But what can stop this train that seems to just keep steam rolling these athletes to the top of a sport that is often so short-lived and with lasting consequences?

DreamSkates

Medvedeva is getting roasted over this quote - “Before the rink was more like a work place for me. Sometimes it was though, the rink was associated with hard work, now the rink is associated with work that is enjoyable. You are doing everything for yourself,” ... although I guess it's mostly crazies on sports.ru who have a problem with it
Kudos to Medvedeva for finding her own joy in her skating work and career.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Medvedeva is getting roasted over this quote - “Before the rink was more like a work place for me. Sometimes it was though, the rink was associated with hard work, now the rink is associated with work that is enjoyable. You are doing everything for yourself,” ... although I guess it's mostly crazies on sports.ru who have a problem with it
That’s so crazy that some people find a way to take issue with that. It seems so innocuous to me. I would hate to be in these skaters’ shoes, being attacked for saying how work is now enjoyable. :drama:

muffinplus

That’s so crazy that some people find a way to take issue with that. It seems so innocuous to me. I would hate to be in these skaters’ shoes, being attacked for saying how work is now enjoyable.

It's not all skaters. It's Medvedeva that gets a lot of hate at least on that forum (although might be best to just ignore it)... Zagitova seems popular there.

This quote is being seen as a thinly veiled attack against Tutberidze. Medvedeva is seen as this ungrateful, lazy brat, as well as someone who is fake/disingenuous. Bobrova also got a lot of hate for her Anti-Zagitova treatment and accused of being a liar, although I'm not sure I'm seeing that based on 2 videos where they are not interacting...

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Bigbird

That’s so crazy that some people find a way to take issue with that. It seems so innocuous to me. I would hate to be in these skaters’ shoes, being attacked for saying how work is now enjoyable.

All the starving has got to their heads. No wonder some just call it a day. This is nuts.

Ka3sha

DobrinFan

New interview from Gubanova

muffinplus

I'm surprised she seems okay with Buyanova's decision or rather the way it was taken...

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

New interview from Gubanova
So which coaches are in St.Pete besides Mishin and his team?
Vasiliev still coaching single skaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information